Allow me to now say the nerdiest thing that has ever been said on these forums.

So I've been reading this Harry Potter fanfic.

*pause for effect*

It's about what might have happened if Harry had instead been adopted by a professor of biochemistry at Oxford.

*pause for effect again*

And it's actually really really good. Perhaps you've even heard of it. It's called Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality. It's very well written, very funny, and very clever. ("You're giving me a TIME MACHINE to treat my SLEEPING DISORDER!?")

The only problem is that it's not done yet. Aside from that, I cannot possibly give it too high a recommendation. Bear in mind how absurdly geeky such a thread makes me look, and it's a worthy sacrifice to tell people just how good this work is.

Here's the link. Give it a try. If it doesn't suck you in with the first 5 segments, or even the opening paragraphs, I'll eat my hat.
    Last edited by WarDaft; 2011-04-11 at 12:20 AM.

Do people read other people's fanfic like they would a book? I always assumed this is something people just write for themselves.

Not only do people read it, over 12000 people have written reviews of it (not necessarily particularly long reviews mind you. A lot of them are about the same as my OP.)

It's really good.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Do people read other people's fanfic like they would a book? I always assumed this is something people just write for themselves.
    Actually a lot of people do. Back when I was in high school friends and I co-wrote one that quite a lot of people enjoyed, even though I still think it was crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    i thought fanfics were just comedy ;/

Quote Originally Posted by Evián View Post
    Actually a lot of people do. Back when I was in high school friends and I co-wrote one that quite a lot of people enjoyed, even though I still think it was crap.
    The worst critic is yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarDaft View Post
    Not only do people read it, over 12000 people have written reviews of it (not necessarily particularly long reviews mind you. A lot of them are about the same as my OP.)

It's really good.
    You weren't kidding...damn, that IS very, very well written...

Thanks for turning me on to it!

"Fall 7 times, stand up 8" Something I learned from a Japanese friend, in the "Major Japanese Earthquake" Thread...

You're most welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    i thought fanfics were just comedy ;/
    Well, they can certainly be comedic, and this one assuredly is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha, that's pretty awesome! Pretty much started laughing at chapter 1.

One time I read this excellent fanfic of if the doctors on Scrubs were on flight 815 in Lost. It was actually really well written! I'll check yours out OP.

Having recently watched the entirety of Lost for the first time over the course of a mere few months, I shall most definitely have to look that up, thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    I use to read alot of fanfic in middle school, kinda miss it. I'v upgraded to real books because of bragging rights, less nerdy, more people aware of books so I can talk to someone about it, easier to read in public, prefer reading a book over my laptop (Too close to the screen), shame.

Though the main reason I stopped was because I hate waiting months for a new chapter to come out (Gahhh cliffhangers!). Wish I had more time to catch up though
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2011-04-11 at 04:16 AM.

I wish I could say that you didn't have to wait for months for updates on this one, because until recently, the guy was averaging more than a chapter a week.

"Until recently." It slowed down. Right when I found it naturally.

Still, there's the equivalent of something like 700-800 pages all put together now, and well worth reading. There's always The Unity Saga as a backup.

10+ Year Old Account
    A very close friend of mine writes fanfics all the time, and I'm her beta (the person who proofreads them). She spent a summer a few years back just reading Harry Potter fanfics. Maybe that's why it doesn't seem so nerdy to me. I'll ask her if she's read this one in particular though.

Deleted
    I thoroughly enjoyed it! ^.^

Can't wait for more.

Now I am intrigued, I now know what I'm going to read for today

Quote Originally Posted by Teleth View Post
    I thoroughly enjoyed it! ^.^

Can't wait for more.
    I take it you've heard of it before? Otherwise... the whole thing in 10 hours... that's... that's just insane.

Definitely something I couldn’t have imagined myself enjoying, now I find that all I want to do with my free time is read it... simply amazing
    "Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half-light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread upon my dreams." - W.B. Yeats

WarDaft.. I think YOU are the nerdiest thing on these forums!