Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I would also like to be a part of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aulaugus View Post
    Any update on this or did it die?
    Letting it die would be paladin-like behavior. That is not acceptable.

I 've just been busy this week and raid time has been hogging all my free time. I'm going to start this some time tommorow, and try to figure out a direction to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Calmwinds View Post
    I 've just been busy this week and raid time has been hogging all my free time. I'm going to start this some time tommorow, and try to figure out a direction to take it.
    Awesome, that's all the update I was looking for. Cheers

I've been delayin g this long enough I'm just going to start a question and have people respond. The framework will be vague and general questions until I can figure out a way to do this. I haven't worked on this at all btw

I'm going to leave this question open and maybe add 2 more, for about two days before I close it. I'm going to need authoritative responses. I decided this question with hand-waving and knowing that threat is a major concern for warrior tanking at the moment. I am also requesting suggestions for future questions, format, and organization.

Questions going on right now: What way can I increase my threat output? I keep losing aggro in raids!
    Last edited by Calmwinds; 2011-04-29 at 08:53 PM.

The way i have found best would be to use heroic strike on cd if you have the rage generation to support it, always berserker rage at the begining to get a nice lead early off. You can also Shield Block/ Shield Slam for the 100% extra dmg.

Edit: Also, make sure you keep Rend up, while its minimal DPS and what not, the threat is high.
    If your still having troubles, you can go for a more threat oriented spec with full deep wounds, cruelty, ect.
    Last edited by Addonexus; 2011-04-29 at 09:42 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmwinds View Post
    What way can I increase my threat output? I keep losing aggro in raids!
    Iyona says:

First and foremost, make sure to assume a solid ability prioritization. Most of the threat you generate is in direct proportion to the damage you cause (1 damage = 3 threat while in Defensive Stance). Our by far hardest hitting ability is Shield Slam, so ideally we want to use it as often as possible.

To maximize threat output, I'd suggest an ability prioritization based around our talent Sword & Board, essentially the "Sword & Board-rotation". With Shield Slam as the obvious number one ability, we want to use either Revenge or Devastate as soon as Shield Slam is on cooldown, where Revenge is the stronger of the two. Shield Slam has a 6 second cooldown, so there's three global cooldowns to fill before the cooldown has resetted naturally.

In practice, this means you'll do a Shield Slam > Revenge > Devastate > Something else* > Shield Slam. Whenever Sword & Board procs you'd immediately use Shield Slam and then start over again.

* Something else: there are plenty of choices. This is the ideal time to refresh either Demoralizing Shout or Thunder Clap, this is also when you want to use other high threat abilities like Shockwave (a hard hitter which cannot be dodged or parried), Heroic Throw (also cannot be dodged or parried, plus a 50% bonus threat modifier), Rend (although only slightly stronger than Devastate if a Bleed damage debuff is present) or Concussion Blow (with a 100% bonus threat modifier).

Obviously, also make sure never to draing your rage with Heroic Strike, but don't forget to use it either. In most cases, it can - and should - practically be spammed.

Despite being backed up by Misdirection or Tricks of the Trade, the pull is usually the most difficult scenario. If opening threat seems to be a problem, I'd suggest you went to Berserker Stance just before pulling a boss and pop Recklessness. While it may seem reckless (pun not intended) at first, the additional damage taken is unlikely to pose as any kind of problem, and it's a significant boost in opening threat.

If you do these things but still have issues keeping aggro, then you may want to reevaluate your spec to contain key offensive talents like Heavy Repercussions, Incite, Cruelty or War Academy.

Should neither an improvement of ability usage nor a change of talents make a notable increase in threat generation, you may want to look into increasing your toon's offensive stats. Expertise is the per point of rating, for a tank, highest dps increasing stat. While difficult making a direct comparison, it could be estimated to roughly twice the tps increase over what increasing hit would do, although hit is not to be frowned upon either.

And last but not least, always remember to use Intervene as often as possible.
    Last edited by mmoc0a04ed3db8; 2011-05-10 at 07:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    and since ability also has a bonus 30% threat caused it's our by far most effective threat builder.
    I thought the passive bonuses got removed in cata. Only exception being sunder.

And you forgot, watch for the person with most threat, then intervene that guy to reduce his threat by 10%.
    Get omen and keep a close eye on it at start of fights, do your rotation properly and whenever you see someone over 90% threat, intervene him if he isnt a tank and/or not supposed to be getting hit. Intervene is off the global cooldown, so it wont interrupt your other abilities and it wont move you (which, obviously, would interrupt your rotation) if your target is within 8 yards.
    Its also pretty good after a taunt swap, taunt then cast it on the previous tanker, their threat will drop to around 90-91% which can be a nice lead.
    Last edited by shadowkras; 2011-04-29 at 11:44 PM.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    I thought the passive bonuses got removed in cata. Only exception being sunder.
    Nope, still around. 30% on SS, 50% on HT, 100% on CB, uh, 5% of AP on Dev or something.

edit: seems like I missed the change a while back, most of, possibly all, those modifiers are gone.

Added a line on Intervene, thanks. :P
    Last edited by mmoc0a04ed3db8; 2011-05-05 at 07:55 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    Nope, still around. 30% on SS, 50% on HT, 100% on CB, uh, 5% of AP on Dev or something.

Added a line on Intervene, thanks. :P
    Found this post.
    But yea, as recently discussed regarding shield slam tooltip fix.

The threat bonuses from Shield Slam and Devastate actually got removed on 4.0.3.

So only ones that still do extra threat are heroic thrown and concussion blow (confirm?).
    And obviously sunder, as it does threat but no damage.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    Found this post.
    But yea, as recently discussed regarding shield slam tooltip fix.

The threat bonuses from Shield Slam and Devastate actually got removed on 4.0.3.

So only ones that still do extra threat are heroic thrown and concussion blow (confirm?).
    And obviously sunder, as it does threat but no damage.
    I can't find patch notes saying that anything has changed since that test back in 4.0.1, so let's assume they're still there. I'll check it out later.

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Devastate no longer provides bonus threat.

Shield Slam: Contribution of attack power reduced to 60%, down from 75%, and base damage brought up so that a level 85 warrior in Heroic dungeon gear deals the same damage with no Vengeance, but Vengeance has less impact. In addition, Shield Slam no longer generates 30% bonus threat from its damage.
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Patch_4.0.3a

Deleted
    I forgot to edit what I quoted, I meant I couldn't find any patch notes on CB and HT.

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes sense, 2 wasted posts...

EDIT
    Wait, 3.

EDIT2
    Well lets make it constructive then.

Didnt concussion blow hit for as much as shockwave? I recall they had similar AP modifiers.
    If concussion still had +100% threat that would net in a much higher TPS than shockwaving.
    If i recall again, by what i read from EJ months ago after cata launch, it wasnt THAT strong in TPS or the rotation priority, so it might actually have lost that passive threat bonus.
    But thats all speaking from memory.
    Last edited by shadowkras; 2011-05-05 at 07:15 PM.