How are Disc's going to adjust to the PW:Shield Nerf for 5-mans and Main Tank Healing

If you are one, how are you going to do it?

Seems like it's something there should be a thread on, but I searched:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/search.p...rchid=27441726

Didn't find it.

I honestly don't see how any of the 4.1 changes to PW:S affects either 5-man or main tank healing.

It's just going to make it harder to bubble spam, which is fine by me.

If you only use your shields when you know your target is going to receive some damage during the next few seconds, you probably won't notice the difference.

I switched to Holy when I failed miserably a few times at Baron Ashbury. So Disc is already bad. How can any change make a difference. Tho only think you can use it at is raid tank healing or PVP.

This gives me an opportunity to ask, how do you handle that fight as a Disc priest?
    Last edited by Tej; 2011-04-11 at 07:51 PM.

It's curious nobody noticed that PW: Barrier had its CD increased, and the damage reduction is now 25% instead of 30%, it's a quite big nerf for group/raid healing I think.

15 s shields won't make a too big difference overall (although because of lag you won't be able to chain-cast it), but the mana cost should be decreased a bit because it's impossible to bubble spam it efficiently just because of the duration.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, many of us noticed it. It's just really old news.

And to OP: what? I think the better question is how could it possibly change 5 mans?

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15

Quote Originally Posted by Limulsuis View Post
    It's curious nobody noticed that PW: Barrier had its CD increased, and the damage reduction is now 25% instead of 30%, it's a quite big nerf for group/raid healing I think.

15 s shields won't make a too big difference overall (although because of lag you won't be able to chain-cast it), but the mana cost should be decreased a bit because it's impossible to bubble spam it efficiently just because of the duration.
    Which is true, but neither of these changes really affect the OP's question of "how will it affect 5 mans or MT healing"

The answer to that question is: It won't.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Main tank healing won't be affected at all, but 5-man dungeons might be. It's quite common Discipline Priests pre-shield all 5 targets in a pull or a boss, shields would last the whole duration (30 seconds) and all targets would remain safe, however, to do so priests need to shield every 15 sec now, that's a higher mana cost over the course of a fight and more GCDs used to shield rather than to do something more important.

Except if shields might not be used, you could be, I don't know, doing it wrong?

Pre-Shielding in 5-mans is not required by any means necessary. Divine Aegis lasting longer has more of a potential gain during those circumstances than the shorter shield duration.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Tej View Post
    I switched to Holy when I failed miserably a few times at Baron Ashbury. So Disc is already bad. How can any change make a difference. Tho only think you can use it at is raid tank healing or PVP.

This gives me an opportunity to ask, how do you handle that fight as a Disc priest?
    Ummm....Prayer of Healing just before he picks everyone up. I find Disc to be far superior to Holy in 5 mans. We have more tools at our disposal and our shields allow for groups to make mistakes and live through them.

We turn the Ascendant Lord Obsidius encounter in BRC into a joke of a fight.

@OP

I use PW: Shield in order to keep people from dieing. I don't use it beforehand unless it's on the tank on the initial pull. Shielding everyone up beforehand is just plain silly. The "nerf" won't effect 5 man healing one bit. If anything the buff to DA makes Disc priests even stronger.
    Last edited by lizon; 2011-04-11 at 08:01 PM.

True, I'm just writing about certain cases where longer duration shields might be useful and then the 4.1 changes are a nerf, but it's just for some cases that don't happen often in the current healing situation.
    Last edited by Limulsuis; 2011-04-11 at 08:00 PM. Reason: Small typing mistake :)

Quote Originally Posted by Limulsuis View Post
    It's quite common Discipline Priests pre-shield all 5 targets in a pull or a boss, shields would last the whole duration (30 seconds) and all targets would remain safe, however, to do so priests need to shield every 15 sec now, that's a higher mana cost over the course of a fight and more GCDs used to shield rather than to do something more important.
    The only way that reducing the duration of PW:S from 30sec to 15sec results in the Discipline priest spending any more mana on PW:S than they are now is if they have a high percentage of wasted shields.

Point blank, if you're casting PW:S on a target solely because they have neither WS nor PW:S, then you may want to reevaluate your usage of PW:S.

It is this that the developers are trying to get away from. PW:S should be used to combat imminent damage, not possibly if someone pulls aggro or stands in easily avoidable fire or gets hit with a random single targeted ability damage.

The CD increase on PW: Barrier is the only nerf i actually mind, strictly for 5-Mans/10-Mans/Tank healing the PW: Shield duration decrease really should not affect you or I, it should really only effect the disc priests that are shield spamming on 25-man runs, which btw i don't approve of .

In any case i personally save my shields for the tanks, try and abuse rapture as much as possible and tend to actually use some my healing spells, the ones that actually bring peoples HP back up and not just stop it from moving for a few seconds... rofl a disc priest that actually heals - i know i fail .

/sarcasm off - don't worry about the duration decrease imo.

Rabit