Thread: Tonsil Stones

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Tonsil Stones

Hey earlier today i coughed up a really big yellow ball and i was curious as to what this strange thing was, so i googled it naturally. I have had these for a while and they are known as tonsil stones. They cause really bad breath and are cause by smoking and swalling your phlegm and i dont smoke. I was wondering if any of you guys get these. they are small to large circle shaped things that get caught in your throat that you can cough up. they are completely harmless. Let me know what you guys think about these and if you have ever had them.

I used to get those a lot - fucking grossed me right out. I actually used to be exposed to second-hand smoke a lot; I haven't gotten any in awhile now, maybe that explains why because I'm not around that anymore.

I used to get them, too. They smell horrible. Ugh.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

protein bro.. eat them

I've been wondering wtf they were for a while now, just barely started seeing them a month or so ago, on and off. I don't smoke, either, so that pisses me off. I guess secondhand smoke? Gonna have to look up how to prevent 'em, now. Glad I'm not just abnormally gross. Makes me self conscious, talking to people.
    Hakuna matata.

Quote Originally Posted by Jijek View Post
    protein bro.. eat them
    Sulfur, bro. No.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    they really are terrible. they smell horrible and make me have terrible breath even though i brush my teeth twice a day and eat gum lots. i read that to prevent them you can manually remove with like a cotton stick normally used on ears you just poke till they fall out. or you can gargle salt water or remove your tonsils with surgery. man they are terrible smelling... i started getting them recently too. both my parents smoke so it could be that but its so weeeeiiiirdddd.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    That must be awful. I'm holding my breath even longer now when I walk by a smoker.

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's...really, really gross (no offense).

Even when I lived with 2 smokers, I never had that problem. O.o How many smokers do you live with?!

10+ Year Old Account
    My grandfather used to get those a lot. We found drinking lots of tea helps break them up easier.

I'm not sure if it's the same thing or not, but my tonsils had holes in them and would collect things in them like food and whatnot and would be really nasty and just sit there in those little holes until something finally dislodged them.

I wished I had them removed as a child, but I finally did it later in life and was glad.

I get them sometimes, and they aren't from just smoking.

They are caused by pockets that form in your tonsils, where food particles are trapped and build up into a really nasty ball of bacteria.

There are many ways to fix/prevent, but the most obvious way is to get tonsils removed early.

They suck, but aren't just caused by smoking.

15+ Year Old Account
    Holy shit, that's disgusting, how do you guys drive yourself to that?!

Ew! My mother smokes and I NEVER got those when I lived at home, thank God. That's a foul sounding issue. My thing is how the hell do you people know they smell bad? You hack one up and then sniff it? Not my first reaction to such a thing. I'd be heading to the doctor ASAP to figure out how to prevent it or fix the issue. Regardless, if they keep happening go see a doctor, they might be indicative of a tonsil issue at large and you might want to get them removed.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

Quote Originally Posted by Melodi View Post
    Ew! My mother smokes and I NEVER got those when I lived at home, thank God. That's a foul sounding issue. My thing is how the hell do you people know they smell bad? You hack one up and then sniff it? Not my first reaction to such a thing. I'd be heading to the doctor ASAP to figure out how to prevent it or fix the issue. Regardless, if they keep happening go see a doctor, they might be indicative of a tonsil issue at large and you might want to get them removed.
    You can't always help them. We know what they are because you really just want to know...wth, right? Even if it's gross, you have to sniff things that come out of your body. Information is king, even at that cost. Going to the doctor, you need to be able to describe things, even if it's awful.

Of course, knowing what it is you do want to know how to fix it, sadly it isn't as easy at it sounds

Tonsil Stones Suck. They are not caused by smoking. Someone already mentioned that those are food particle along with mucus that form and calcify in your tonsils. No one really knows for sure why tonsil stones appear in some people and not in others.

There are various ways of dealing with them besides taking your tonsils out. You can use natural remedies (which might include tea, wasabi, celery, etc), changing your diet (dairy creates more mucus for example), or use over the counter products (waterpik).

Here's a site with great info Tonsil Stones HQ

Good luck

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nourish View Post
    My grandfather used to get those a lot. We found drinking lots of tea helps break them up easier.
    I live with a few smokers, this must be why i never experienced them lol, i have a cup when i wake up, a few cups during the day then a final cup at night

Ugh, yes, I get them sometimes and it just disgusts me.

Sadly, I just Googled "tonsil stones" just to see what they were.

I really wish I hadn't...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I get small ones sometimes that I cough up when I wake up every few weeks, but I'm not a smoker and haven't been told I have bad breath ever.