Deleted

Help me raiding on a new Disc priest!

Hi everyone.

I am currently in a 10 man raiding guild and we currently have 4 healers, a holy priest and Rshammie and 2 druids (one of them being my main) and we are at 3/13.

I have been asked to gear up my priest to fill in the gap that is missing. Have been working hard to get as much gear over the last 2 weeks to try and get up to speed so I can jump into runs and start gearing up properly. So basically I have only done 2 raids on this character with our alts and am still getting used to it (6/12).

I'm after some character critique and suggestions on what I should be aiming for...I've been stacking mastery but as our Holy pala will pretty much always be raiding should I start aiming for haste items for the raid healing role i'm probably going be filling. Also if I am to do the odd tank healing should I aim to stack mastery or crit - keep seeing different things on this.

Any Priest specific addons would be great too. I have a rapture tracker which I'm hoping will get my mana efficiency up more.

So..like I said I'm very new to this Disc priest stuff so go easy on me

Thanks for any help!

Cheers

eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/hellfire/depravity/simple

Keep stacking Mastery. It's incredible for your PoH output with Divine Aegis. Haste is pretty much the worst stat you can get as a Disc priest, both Crit and Mastery are better. Holy is a different matter.

I don't really use any specific addons, I use Tukui and that's all I need.

Your gear is fine for raiding atleast 10/12. If I were you I'd go for all the socket bonuses though, there really isn't that much benefit to using a 40 intellect gem over a 20/20 gem. You also have a 20 int/20 haste socket in your shoulders instead of a 20/20 mastery one.

Your spec is fine, although I'm personally using: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#bfGorRsbcoMocuZh instead, there really isn't much point in not taking the atonement talents. Smite is both better healing than "Heal" as well as having a shorter cast time. It is a smart cast, but you won't be using Smite or Heal when you need to do serious healing anyway. You also get the 15% extra healing from Archangel in times of need, just make sure you stack up to it for those big raid wide AoE's. The reason I'm not including the Shadowfiend CD reducing talent is because you barely ever actually need two Shadowfiends, and the fights where you can justify using it early enough to get two even with a 4 minute cooldown is really really scarce. Just time the one Shadowfiend you have with HoH at about 30% mana.

I noticed that you're also using the Glyph of Smite.. Why? You don't have an Atonement spec as it is, so it is completely wasted. Even with an Atonement spec it's not worth using because you'd lose time. Make sure you grab the hit glyph for Smite if you're going Atonement as well!
    Last edited by Minto44; 2011-04-12 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Grammar.

Deleted
    Right, yup the gem slipped notice during a regem and the same with the gylph - did have a smite spec while leveling so i'll replace that Desperation most likely for when i do Hal hc maybe Dispel magic is a better option for now.

Thanks for your comments, I'll see how I do mana wise next raid and see if I need the shorter fiend CD for now - but I'm sure I will get rid of it once I am running a bit more efficiently!

Deleted
    your spec looks fine.
    but why did you reforge mastery into spirit on your legs instead or reforging the crit to mastery?
    mastery > crit for a disc priest

next thing would be your glyphse. drop the PoH glyph and get the penance one tbh.
    also get the Pain Sup Glyph instead of Holy Nova. it can save lives in some encounters. (Halfus, Maloriak etc)
    im also using the Mass Dispel glyph

thats my priest --> http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../serona/simple if you wanna take a look
    not perfect but it should give you some kind of idea

Stood in the Fire chase_the_mofo's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where to start:
    Head socket +30spirit bonus = it's really good bonus so go for it
    Yellow gem would be 20 intelect and 20 mastery no haste!
    DO not reforge mastery to spirit, reforge second stat.
    Weapon enchant = heartsong is like ~81spirit constantly and it's way better then power torrent.
    If you spec Inspiration you're MT heal mostly, ditch it and go for desperate prayer, you'll thank me later, strength of soul, ditch it. Get spell haste from shadow for it. And you're ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Serona View Post
    next thing would be your glyphse. drop the PoH glyph and get the penance one tbh.
    No. This is horrible advice and you should feel bad for even writing that. The PoH glyph increases the effectivity of your PoH by 20%, and PoH should be your most (or second most) used spell in any fight. You'd have to be insane to skip it. Especially for the Penance glyph.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Minto44 View Post
    No. This is horrible advice and you should feel bad for even writing that. The PoH glyph increases the effectivity of your PoH by 20%, and PoH should be your most (or second most) used spell in any fight. You'd have to be insane to skip it. Especially for the Penance glyph.
    well i should have stated that im mostly abused for tank healing so its penance > PoH for my side

if your the raid healer than its PoH > Penance yep

Quote Originally Posted by Serona View Post
    well i should have stated that im mostly abused for tank healing so its penance > PoH for my side

if your the raid healer than its PoH > Penance yep
    If you're giving advice to someone you have to keep his conditions in mind, he wrote in his post that they have a Paladin and that he will most probably be doing Raid Healing. If he is new like he says, didn't know better and actually swapped his PoH glyph for a Penance glyph he would have lost out on a lot of healing!

Deleted
    Thanks, yes gem has been seen too.
    Legs - Ah yes I need to change them, was stacking crit for a while for mans as they old Disc guide says crit for tank healing. That will be changed to mastery very soon.
    If I'm going raid healing then I'll ditch insperation and throw in Desperate and I guess a point in Darkness until I feel confident enough to get rid of veiled too.
    Glyphs I'll change HN and smite for Desperation and Dispel and if tank healing pop in Penance.
    Bought Staff last night before logging and enchanting that soon. Sure Heartsong is the way to go?

Might change my Holy OS and have a tank Disc and a raid disc spec.

Thanks all for the tips so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Saimaa View Post
    Thanks, yes gem has been seen too.
    Legs - Ah yes I need to change them, was stacking crit for a while for mans as they old Disc guide says crit for tank healing. That will be changed to mastery very soon.
    If I'm going raid healing then I'll ditch insperation and throw in Desperate and I guess a point in Darkness until I feel confident enough to get rid of veiled too.
    Glyphs I'll change HN and smite for Desperation and Dispel and if tank healing pop in Penance.
    Bought Staff last night before logging and enchanting that soon. Sure Heartsong is the way to go?

Might change my Holy OS and have a tank Disc and a raid disc spec.

Thanks all for the tips so far.
    Heartsong is probably the best if you're still doing normal modes. When you get to the heroic modes later on you should probably swap it for Power Torrent because the throughput will be much more important.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree with minto44 in stating that atonement is too good to pass up. There are only 2 fights so far in this content that I don't use my AA/A spec and thats sinestra and Al'akir cause they are too big for the smite heals to hit anyone. Even if your group is all range it is still better than heal especially if your raid comp has proper buffs cause its raw tank healage then. With 8% magic damage debuff from moonkin, mut rogue, Lock UH DK or wind serpent pet and 5% crit debuff from lock or fire mage you get increased benefits that normal heals do not. Also if you have BM hunter, arcane mage or ret pally you get 3% damage buff. Plus your smite heals double dip on twin disc talent by increasing the damage component and then modifying the healing component after.

in regards to your glyphs you should drop one for penance but not your poh glyph. You should drop barrier for penance. barrier is a great glyph, but its value is greatly diminished in a 10 man raid environment. Penance glyph will give you better tank healing potential as well as better 4pc uptime once you get 4pc.

WoWHead Talent Build

I recommend this talent build for your needs. If your doing heavier tank healing and want to gain efficiency without the hassle of timing pet usage you can drop Veiled shadows for Train of thought and you can also drop Desperate prayer to max out divine fury (Macro Inner Focus to every spell that uses it for maximum uptime/efficiency. Never save it in pve) Max DF isnt a huge boost when compared to an instant cast no mana cost life saver so that ones personal preference there. Don't be afraid to toss shields out as needed, but in your gear level I would run in inner will stance if you need to be using a lot of shields. Also try to use shields on people who are likely to take damage soon and are already hurt a little so as to maximize throughput and efficiency from your glyph.

And like others have said. go for every socket bonus. 40 int in red. int/spi in blue and int/mast in yellow. Reforge with a priority on int>spi>mast>crit>haste with crit/haste being pretty much equally meh so just take what you can get there and don't worry about the numbers. if every item has mastery and spirit then your looking good. Keep your eyes on that rapture tracker. I imagine your using Ingela's Rapture? If not then you should be its great. Strength of soul isn't really a good talent because you wanna line up re shields on tank with your rapture CD anyway plus other talents are of far more value.
    Last edited by Koilie; 2011-04-12 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Spelling

Deleted
    Ok, I'll throw a cheap heartsong on for now and then in a couple of weeks get a powertorrent on there.

And so people know, working on therazane rep for the best shoulder enchants, bracer enchants will be changed to Int when i get a decent upgrade and will get Lavawalker somethime soon as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saimaa View Post
    Ok, I'll throw a cheap heartsong on for now and then in a couple of weeks get a powertorrent on there.

And so people know, working on therazane rep for the best shoulder enchants, bracer enchants will be changed to Int when i get a decent upgrade and will get Lavawalker somethime soon as well.
    I'd hold out on Power Torrent until you have much better gear and probably a good MH/OH combo. From an efficiency standpoint PT only compares to HS for disc when you use shadowfiends with PT procs and try to get at least one rapture in every proc if you can. Which you should always do if keeping track of your rapture properly.
    Last edited by Koilie; 2011-04-12 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Spell O_o

Deleted
    I'm wondering if you wouldn't be better off with the Bload eof the Witching Hour and Heartbound Tome, reforge crit to Spirit on the Weapon, then get PT on the Blade and Superior Int on the Tome.

Are you having major mana issues? If you aren't, and your Shadowfiend is little-used, then I'd suggest moving the two points in Veiled Shadows to either Inner Sanctum or Focused Will (for added damage reduction.)

Deleted
    Yes Ingela's I have, love it - simple and very easy to customise.

Inner Focus bound to GH and PoH mouseovers so it will be used on CD. (Binding to FH and BH too!)

Mana issues - well only done 2 raids with alts and a few new to several of the fights so mana wasn't great, I imagine it will be better with the core raiders on their mains. I'll be sticking with veiled until I can judge my needs on them better. I would like to move away from that as soon as I can.
    Last edited by mmoc0c89016748; 2011-04-12 at 10:36 AM.

Deleted
    I for one like the reduced shadowfiend thingy. I find it takes me about 1½-2mins to drop below 75% mana, and the fight is usually not much longer than 6-7 mins, meaning my shadowfiend will be up with the talent but not without it.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2011-04-12 at 10:23 AM.