Collecting info for a PhD

I'm a serious WoW player but I'm also doing a PhD in marketing. I'm currently looking into how companies (e.g. Blizzard) manage online communities.

I'm wondering if there are any rules concerning doing research on the MMO Champion forums. Can I:
    - Ask questions to get (qualitative) feedback from forum users?
    - Use the poll tool to get more detailed feedback?

In all cases I will announce (in the first sentence of my post) that it's for research, and describe the intention.

For science!
    Gorbag - Elemental Shaman since Nov 2004
    Raider of Logic Tarren Mill EU

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XAmsterdamX View Post
    I'm currently looking into how companies (e.g. Blizzard) manage online communities.
    For the record, we're not Blizzard.

I'm wondering if there are any rules concerning doing research on the MMO Champion forums. Can I:

In all cases I will announce (in the first sentence of my post) that it's for research, and describe the intention.
    You're welcome to make a post with a poll in the general off-topic section provided that it's not disruptive -- no bumping, stick to one thread, etc.

Deleted
    If you're looking for some kind of survey, www.surveymonkey.com has proven to be good

I'm a serious WoW player but I'm also doing a PhD in marketing. I'm currently looking into how companies (e.g. Blizzard) manage online communities.

I sure hope that you don't think that you'll get any kind of accurate results from these forums do you?

The trolls will rip your polls to pieces....sad but true...

Good luck though...

To answer your questions:

1. I know that this forum is not Blizzard, but it's an active part of the WoW community.

2. I know that polls here won't be scientific or reliable. I would use them as qualitative research (e.g. to get a general feel for issues that are playing), on which I can base my follow-up research.

@Robinhoodexe: Thanks. I know Surveymonkey, indeed a helpful tool.