Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Vanilla servers?

Why won't blizzard make server that are just straight vanilla? I know for a fact quite a few people would love it, simply because their are a handful of private servers that run vanilla and they are nearly always full.

I've just always wondered why blizzard wouldn't do this, especially with all the QQ on the forums about how people really loved vanillas and what it back. They could even charge a few extra dollars to be on the server i'm sure people would quickly pay.

Anyone care to explain?

You can voluntarily turn off gaining XP so that you can do real 60 raids again. The only problem I could imagine is some classes might not have all their basic spells because some are given 60+ (haven't looked into this yet). Let alone the required dedication and commitment of a large number of other people to do this with you, as opposed to level 85 raids where people are already the set level required.

Blizzard has said again and again that the main reason they won't do this is that the Servers themselves would be a waste of money; the amount of people who were only subbed for the Vanilla content wouldn't even pay for a single Server

Quote Originally Posted by White Board View Post
    Blizzard has said again and again that the main reason they won't do this is that the Servers themselves would be a waste of money; the amount of people who were only subbed for the Vanilla content wouldn't even pay for a single Server
    Ahh really? I always got that feeling that tons of people would want to play it. Then again I guess blizzard might know best...maybe not?

Quote Originally Posted by t0k3n98 View Post
    Ahh really? I always got that feeling that tons of people would want to play it. Then again I guess blizzard might know best...maybe not?
    Why do you get the feeling that "tons" of people would want to play on it? Best case scenario, they clear everything through Naxx, and then have nothing left to do so they quit anyway

Edit: for clarity; I myself "want Vanilla back", and I know some other people (mostly who have quit) who want Vanilla back to, but this means we want the same amount of content as we have now, and a constantly updated MMO to validate our monthly subscription, but with the same Vanilla mindset (i.e. 40 man raids, no DKs, Warriors TANK, Priests HEAL etc.) Not that we want the same 4 raids for 6 years
    Last edited by White Board; 2011-04-12 at 05:34 PM.

Tons of people might play it for a little bit, but it is really unlikely they would keep playing for an extended period of time.

Deleted
    i just have to say this right now before it escalates:

*for the future posts*
    LEAVE THE OP ALONE no need to be angry and repost stuff
    *for the future posts*

now onwards: i dont think blizzard wants to use their resources on an old patch with loads of bugs, plus i dont think the top players will choose this anyway, and since the spirit is gone and we all use websites we are already ruined forever, it will never be the same =(

TBC server on the other hand *drool*

would be loads of fun though

Define Tons? WoW has(had?) 14 million subscriptions, if only a few thousand want to go into a Vanilla server, that is a waste of money. Also people are going to expect bug fixes and things like that and blizzard is going to end in a pr nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by is4kss0n View Post

*for the future posts*
    *for the future posts*

now onwards: i dont think blizzard wants to use their resources on an old patch with loads of bugs, plus i dont think the top players will choose this anyway, and since the spirit is gone and we all use websites we are already ruined forever, it will never be the same =(

ooo i would love some TBC again!

Why won't blizzard make server that are just straight vanilla? I know for a fact quite a few people would love it, simply because their are a handful of private servers that run vanilla and they are nearly always full.

I've just always wondered why blizzard wouldn't do this, especially with all the QQ on the forums about how people really loved vanillas and what it back. They could even charge a few extra dollars to be on the server i'm sure people would quickly pay.

Anyone care to explain?
    Because when they reset it, and everyone's geared you'll still be bad, and ask for something else?

This topic and oh so many others should be added to an auto ban list if you bring them up T.T

Its because creating classic servers would be an admission that everything they've done since is fail. Well, maybe not everything but most things. All those new designers' egos couldn't take it.

Because movement is the way of the future, either get with it the times or get to the side !
    Kickin Incredibly Dope Shit

Quote Originally Posted by is4kss0n View Post

*for the future posts*
    *for the future posts*

Burning Crusade Servers would have the exact same problems, and never be implemented for the same financial reasons

what's the point? Your 4.0.6 client will have your level 60 at vastly inflated damage dealing and healthpools from what they were originally even if you don't upgrade it off regular. It's a bygone era, you can either turn off XP at 60 at attempt to relive it, or you can move forward and enjoy the new stuff with the rest of the player base.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovax81 View Post
    Because when they reset it, and everyone's geared you'll still be bad, and ask for something else?
    Asking a question, please don't post unless your going to answer...***

10+ Year Old Account
    They should honestly do a poll in my opinion. It's pretty stupid that they're only guessing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well regardless of whether or not Blizzard has said this, its still not a very good excuse. Consider the fact that people host private servers for free, Im pretty sure Blizzard could cover this. Not to mention they dont have to create a separate billing scheme, just have a server that is Vanilla only that any current subscriber can start a character on. If the population increases, build a new server and so on. I think its really that Blizzard wants to see their players enjoy their current accomplishments and to not see the players dwelling on the past. Plus, if for some strange reason, people actually flocked to the Vanilla server/s it wouldnt look very good for the current game. My 2cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Runecapemann View Post
    They should honestly do a poll in my opinion. It's pretty stupid that they're only guessing.
    They're not only guessing... if you honestly assume that a multi billion dollar corporation makes sweeping financial decisions without doing studies, then you clearly misunderstand how these things work

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Well regardless of whether or not Blizzard has said this, its still not a very good excuse. Consider the fact that people host private servers for free, Im pretty sure Blizzard could cover this. Not to mention they dont have to create a separate billing scheme, just have a server that is Vanilla only that any current subscriber can start a character on. If the population increases, build a new server and so on. I think its really that Blizzard wants to see their players enjoy their current accomplishments and to not see the players dwelling on the past. Plus, if for some strange reason, people actually flocked to the Vanilla server/s it wouldnt look very good for the current game. My 2cents.
    Thank you, for having a well put response and actually explaining and giving reasons. I think you hit the nail on the head tho with the chance that people would just flock right back to vanilla servers that blizzard would look bad.