Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Initially after cata release holy was the only way to go. Since 4.0.6 Disc is better and I find easier. If you played disc in wrath you'll prolly have to change your play style but I healed in vanilla and played shadow since. Disc is similar style to how it was in vanilla. I find myself using gheal shield more now. Granted I have tons of haste from being in shadow gear.

IMHO, Discipline is way more fun and dynamic to play (Evangelism was a little hard to trust at first, but it's awesome) than Holy. In raids I am normally running Holy spec, but, with a couple of exceptions, I run Disc in 5-mans exclusively - it's too effective at keeping people alive, and its mana efficiency is undeniable compared to Holy.

As for the HPS and meter-riding epeen discussions, Discipline is guaranteed to list higher due to the shield-healing dynamic - shields don't overheal, after all, and having a 32k shield up on multiple targets that isn't going to overheal will pad your meters enough to make you feel like you're doing more than you are. If you are just looking for big numbers on the meters to validate your healing ability, Discipline is the way to stroke your ego.

Need AoE burst healing? Holy is the way to go. For all other situations, Discipline is equal if not better than Holy, and, to this guy, a lot more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    It's a 100% playstyle thing. One I encouraged people to adopt in Wrath that actually lends itself well to the current healing design.

But a lot of people, myself included, play Holy because it feels... smoother...I guess? I'm not sure the words for it, but both specs give you control, it's just a matter of a PS3 controller vs. an XBox 360 controller in your hand, which one feels more natural is up to you to decide.
    This sums it up nicely. I have tried Holy a few times but it just doesn't seem to fit my playstyle. Disc just feels more natural to me. I really don't think one is really better than the other.

I would say disc for everything except 10 man normal modes. Dunno about hardmodes.

For 25 man I'll say disc. I done all 13 hardmodes several times and we been using 2 discs for all of them the last few weeks, except sinestra were 2 holy > 2 disc.

I currently run a holy spec and a disc spec, I enjoy both aspects and how different the healing is, our guild only does 10 mans and my HPS hardly changes, some fights I do find are easier when I'm disc than holy, fights like Nef though I had to run Holy as Lightwell is just too damn good to give up. Really I would say to any priest if you're raiding run both specs and just change it up a bit, makes it more interesting in the long run

Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    Either way remember that you are Discipline not because you're a better tank healer than a Paladin (you aren't) and not because you're a better raid healer than Holy (you aren't)
    I straight up disagree with this blanket statement. There are plenty of fights where Disc's mitigation makes them superior tank healers (e.g., H Magmaw where the tank is getting meleed for as much as 120k; PW:S and Aegis absorbs cannot be even close to matched by any other class) and superior raid healers (e.g., Cho'gall P2 or Ascendant Council P3 where Aegis is fully absorbed every time and provides huge dmg mitigation). We are not Disc simply because we bring cooldowns like PS & Barrier. Those cooldowns are about on par with Divine Protection or any pally's bubble sac, or even Aura Mastery. We are Disc because we stop damage before it ever gets to players--tanks and the raid alike. We can effectively increase every player's health pool in a way that no other healer can.

Quote Originally Posted by Higglez View Post
    I've noticed since the release of cataclysm there are way more Holy priests. Where did all the disc priests go? How come all the priests went holy? Is Disc a mana issue? please let me know I've always wanted to level a disc priest for the damage mitigation in raids and I just wanted to know if it was worth it. Oh, and because i love the bubbles. please no smart comments.
    Personally, I switched to holy because I thought discipline was a bit lacking at the start of Cataclysm and I was curious to see how chakra played out. I stayed even after discipline was buffed back up simply because I thought it was a fun change of pace and had more "toys" to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Lecktor View Post
    I straight up disagree with this blanket statement. There are plenty of fights where Disc's mitigation makes them superior tank healers (e.g., H Magmaw where the tank is getting meleed for as much as 120k; PW:S and Aegis absorbs cannot be even close to matched by any other class) and superior raid healers (e.g., Cho'gall P2 or Ascendant Council P3 where Aegis is fully absorbed every time and provides huge dmg mitigation). We are not Disc simply because we bring cooldowns like PS & Barrier. Those cooldowns are about on par with Divine Protection or any pally's bubble sac, or even Aura Mastery. We are Disc because we stop damage before it ever gets to players--tanks and the raid alike. We can effectively increase every player's health pool in a way that no other healer can.
    While I appreciate your enthusiasm there are many problems with this logic. It's been repeated ad nauseum since mid-Ulduar. I know it's not fun to admit that you are brought due to utility and not healing, but if you're not comfortable with that then you should reconsider your goals as a raider.

While I appreciate your enthusiasm there are many problems with this logic. It's been repeated ad nauseum since mid-Ulduar. I know it's not fun to admit that you are brought due to utility and not healing, but if you're not comfortable with that then you should reconsider your goals as a raider.
    I'll toe to toe with a Paladin on tank healing any day, any where. There are certainty periods of fights that favor a Paladin, as are there periods that favor a Disc Priest. Ultimately, however, you are right for the wrong reason. The reason we are brought for "utility" is because Paladins cannot sustainably raid heal [pigeon-holing them in a tank healing role] and Holy priests are "better," tool wise, raid healers [and one button click away], thus the Disc priest is squeezed into what it is now.

Stood in the Fire PromiscuousPenguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lecktor View Post
    I would not worry too much about opinions like the one Harky put forward and are sometimes cast on disc. Regardless of whether its true or not, Disc has it own niche and style of healing which distinguishes it from the other class's out there and which attracted me in the 1st place and has kept me hooked ever since trying Disc. After having tried healing other class's I wouldn't swap, mitigation over output is where the fun is for me. Strangely being different has always caused a lot of criticism towards disc but as good ole Spiritus said, filled with enthusiasm or not, we can effectively hold our own against the other class's and fulfill raid and tank healing roles very well.

I personally play Disc not only because I find it more fun, it is also more challenging.

The optimal disc healer has a lot to keep track of, particularly in atonement spec

-Maintain evangelism stacks
    -Effective heal/greater heals to reduce weakened soul to maximize rapture procs, but not using PW:S TOO much
    -PoMending on CD
    -Penance (generally) on CD (evangelism at 5 reduces mana cost by 36%)
    -4.1 will bring holy fire into the picture

etc.

Quote Originally Posted by [-Spiritus-] View Post
    I'll toe to toe with a Paladin on tank healing any day, any where. There are certainty periods of fights that favor a Paladin, as are there periods that favor a Disc Priest. Ultimately, however, you are right for the wrong reason. The reason we are brought for "utility" is because Paladin's cannot sustainably raid heal [pigeon-holing them in a tank healing role] and Holy priests are "better," tool wise, raid healers [and one button click away], thus the Disc priest is squeezed into what it is now.
    And lose on almost every fight because Paladins will be matching, or exceeding your tank healing while also contributing to raid healing. The reason you are brought for utility is that PS is a major tank cooldown. Something no other healer brings and PW:B is a major raid cooldown. Something no other healer brings. There are plenty of minor cooldowns like Tranquility, Hymn and the like, but no major cooldowns. Guardian Spirit is a minor cooldown. Sac is a minor (and dangerous) cooldown. Raid wall can no longer be taken as Holy, etc. If Paladins were not functionally better tank healers (they are), then there would be no reason to ever have a Holy Paladin in raid. If that were the case Discipline would do everything they can do slightly better. That's just not the case.

This is why you'll hear raid strategies discuss needing another Barrier, or another major cooldown and Disc being brought up. It's also why any good raid leader who knows those cooldowns are taken care of in the current rotation will not care if a Priest is Holy, or Discipline. Outside of those cooldowns it just doesn't matter. It doesn't make the value of Disc as a healer any lower, it simply makes their value as a raid member higher.

Can we at least still agree that holy priests are for girls?

And lose on almost every fight because Paladins will be matching, or exceeding your tank healing while also contributing to raid healing. The reason you are brought for utility is that PS is a major tank cooldown. Something no other healer brings and PW:B is a major raid cooldown. Something no other healer brings. There are plenty of minor cooldowns like Tranquility, Hymn and the like, but no major cooldowns. Guardian Spirit is a minor cooldown. Sac is a minor (and dangerous) cooldown. Raid wall can no longer be taken as Holy, etc. If Paladins were not functionally better tank healers (they are), then there would be no reason to ever have a Holy Paladin in raid. If that were the case Discipline would do everything they can do slightly better. That's just not the case.

This is why you'll hear raid strategies discuss needing another Barrier, or another major cooldown and Disc being brought up. It's also why any good raid leader who knows those cooldowns are taken care of in the current rotation will not care if a Priest is Holy, or Discipline. Outside of those cooldowns it just doesn't matter. It doesn't make the value of Disc as a healer any lower, it simply makes their value as a raid member higher.
    Why are you attacking people that are talking about the benefits of rolling a disc priest? We can clearly tell you play a paladin and are just hating on us disc priest. Please stay on topic of why you should play a disc priest instead of putting down everyone in these forums. I understand you have 4k post but that does not make what you write the gospel word.
    I am not bipolar. I am bi-winning. I win here, I win there. I am always winning. Duh

Quote Originally Posted by Nabstar View Post
    Why are you attacking people that are talking about the benefits of rolling a disc priest? We can clearly tell you play a paladin and are just hating on us disc priest. Please stay on topic of why you should play a disc priest instead of putting down everyone in these forums. I understand you have 4k post but that does not make what you write the gospel word.
    What you can "clearly tell" is wrong. He's pretty on the mark.

Discipline isn't brought as a raid healer because it does it better than Holy. It hasn't had that since Algalon was relevant content. Even Spiritus acknowledges it as "just a button push away".

Discipline falls about 5-10% behind on output single target behind a Paladin. Yes, that is factoring in absorbs at 100% effectiveness as well. But a Paladin doesn't just heal one target, they have "free" output on a second, and their "raid-healing" doesn't interrupt their tank output either.

You don't bring a Discipline Priest because they're a better tank healer than a Paladin. You don't bring one because they can raid heal better than a Holy Priest. Because neither of those cases are true. They're certainly capable of doing both roles, and performing quite well at either of them thanks to the flexibility of the spec, but they don't exceed expectations.

You bring a Discipline Priest because of the flexibility, and the ridiculous utility that is Barrier and Pain Suppression, and that it's actually competent.

Next time, try actually responding to his point, instead of feeling attacked by someone that had the audacity to point out what you feel is wrong.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2011-04-15 at 10:17 PM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

The difference between harky's position and mine is fairly minute. While Paladins clearly have an easier time tossing around light raid healing without completely interrupting their single target throughput [though it is still at a reduction of single target throughput], they lack the significant DR-CDs of Disc. If well timed PS & PW:B were calculated into eHPS, the gap would close significantly. Furthermore, a skilled Disc priest knows when it is appropriate to drop a PoH on the tank group to assist in raid healing, as well as diverting GCDs for clutch PW:S on the raid, which is alleviated by the activation of BT.

My point is Paladins and Disc Priests are both very strong tank healers, with Paladins bringing light raid healing as a secondary function and disc tank healers bringing powerful CDs. The fundamental reason why you don't see more Disc tank healers is because a Disc Priest can effectively use their secondary while providing adequate primary raid healing, while Paladins cannot functionally raid heal as a primary period. Furthermore, at high gear levels and substantial external regen, Disc priests can still functionally bubblebot, which is the most game changing function any healer can perform during high level progression.