Can only hear the game on the radio, so not seeing anything, but from the sounds of it the refs are ignoring some blatant tripping calls (Gunnarson, Kessel) on the Leafs because one got hit in the ear earlier?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Bernier. Fucking. Bernier. Leafs don't deserve to be winning at this point, Bernier deserves it though my god what a goalie.
    If we had Edmonton's goaltending we'd probably be on pace for 2-80.
    Advanced stats people must be hating the Leafs pretty badly right now.

And apparently Ranger scores an empty netter. Sorry Zeoni (but not too sorry ).
    Last edited by Greeney; 2013-10-31 at 02:50 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't expect to win anyways. Leafs didn't deserve that win one bit but when you have superman in net, it doesn't matter. Reffing wasn't too bad until the end of the game, those were the 2 I saw. Flames outplayed and outworked the Leafs for the majority of the game but let down by terrible defensive mistakes and suspect goal tending. Nevertheless, it was an exciting game and worth the watch at least and that's all I really care about right now as a Flames fan. Franson smoked Paul Davorski in the head when he was icing the puck in the 1st period I think, was funny but like 'get out of the way you fuckin idiot' type of play.

Ramo looks extremely shaky and no ones surprised. Chris Butler continues to be a garbage defenseman. Just wait till you see the Raymond goal off a Clarkson rush, pay particular attention to #44 sliding like a moron while giving up the center of the ice. Brodie had an awful turnover that lead to that too. It was funny I was listening on the radio for a bit too while grabbing supper and our radio guy for a string there said "And another save by Bernier!" about 4 times in a row. Just sitting there shaking my head, dude stood tall tonight.

Fucking Bernier!

What's with the refs blowing shit dead these days? Last week with Dallas, Flames had possession and a Dallas player gets injured and they blew the play dead during an empty net situation with like 6 seconds left. Then tonight Flames have possession, outmanning Toronto on a turnover after it hit Devorski and the linesman blows the play dead. Surely Devorski got his ear wrecked something fierce, but I fail to see how that's a play stopping event.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

10+ Year Old Account
    How the fuck was that high sticking not a 4min penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Didn't expect to win anyways. Leafs didn't deserve that win one bit but when you have superman in net, it doesn't matter. Reffing wasn't too bad until the end of the game, those were the 2 I saw. Flames outplayed and outworked the Leafs for the majority of the game but let down by terrible defensive mistakes and suspect goal tending. Nevertheless, it was an exciting game and worth the watch at least and that's all I really care about right now as a Flames fan. Franson smoked Paul Davorski in the head when he was icing the puck in the 1st period I think, was funny but like 'get out of the way you fuckin idiot' type of play.

Ramo looks extremely shaky and no ones surprised. Chris Butler continues to be a garbage defenseman. Just wait till you see the Raymond goal off a Clarkson rush, pay particular attention to #44 sliding like a moron while giving up the center of the ice. Brodie had an awful turnover that lead to that too. It was funny I was listening on the radio for a bit too while grabbing supper and our radio guy for a string there said "And another save by Bernier!" about 4 times in a row. Just sitting there shaking my head, dude stood tall tonight.
    The sad part is Reimer's outplayed Bernier lately (though, I have a feeling Reimer will be playing in Vancouver and I'm sure Vancouver will be less forgiving if we give up 35+ shots in the game). We also just don't seem to play well against the Canucks, but I'm glad I'll get to see my favourite player's jersey being retired against us on Saturday.

Loving Leafs goaltending duo at the moment though.

Despite the Leafs continuing to defy the logic of stats, I'm still not entirely sold on them being as good as their record indicates.

The record of teams they've beaten: 57-58-13 (3-9-2)

Yes, they've beaten some tough competition (Montreal, Anaheim, Pittsburgh), but they've had a pretty easy schedule so far compared to some other teams.

November may be just as easy - the Leafs actually don't really play a super tough stretch of opponents until mid-December, which just happens to be close to halfway through the season. (They play 5 straight against Boston, LA, St. Louis, Chicago and Pittsburgh).

They also have only played 2 games against division teams right now (both wins).

10-4 is definitely a great month to start the season (only 4 teams can finish with more points through 14 games), but the competition hasn't exactly been strong. Hopefully they can get working on the glaring holes in their game in the next month, because teams are only going to start playing them harder as the year goes on.

What's really impressive to me is how well Reimer has bounced back - after giving up 7 goals through 5 periods, he's stopped 117 of 119 shots since. This guy just continues to step up to meet the challenges.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently Varlomov really is learning everything he can from Roy... he was arrested on domestic violence charges.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Bernier has already faced as many shots as he did last year in 200 fewer minutes on the ice or something like that

the Kings/Sharks game was pretty wild, the Kings forced about a thousand turnovers, like they do, never had the lead in the whole game and won in OT on a power play granted by a necessary penalty that saved a goal, this was one of those games where, after falling behind, the Kings took over completely in that way that only they can

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Despite the Leafs continuing to defy the logic of stats, I'm still not entirely sold on them being as good as their record indicates.

The record of teams they've beaten: 57-58-13 (3-9-2)

Yes, they've beaten some tough competition (Montreal, Anaheim, Pittsburgh), but they've had a pretty easy schedule so far compared to some other teams.

November may be just as easy - the Leafs actually don't really play a super tough stretch of opponents until mid-December, which just happens to be close to halfway through the season. (They play 5 straight against Boston, LA, St. Louis, Chicago and Pittsburgh).

They also have only played 2 games against division teams right now (both wins).

10-4 is definitely a great month to start the season (only 4 teams can finish with more points through 14 games), but the competition hasn't exactly been strong. Hopefully they can get working on the glaring holes in their game in the next month, because teams are only going to start playing them harder as the year goes on.

What's really impressive to me is how well Reimer has bounced back - after giving up 7 goals through 5 periods, he's stopped 117 of 119 shots since. This guy just continues to step up to meet the challenges.

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently Varlomov really is learning everything he can from Roy... he was arrested on domestic violence charges.
    The East isn't exactly a tough conference. The Leafs realistically could be 11-3 if they had not lost to Carolina.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I am sure we all heard about Varlamov

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=435467

10+ Year Old Account
    Not only did he learn how to be a starting goalie by Roy, he has also learned how to get arrested on domestic violence charges. GG
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

10+ Year Old Account
    I was starting to think it was some kind of Freaky Friday body-swap situation

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The East isn't exactly a tough conference. The Leafs realistically could be 11-3 if they had not lost to Carolina.
    They very realistically could also be like 8-6 if they lost a lot of the games they deserved to (if not for the saviors in net). Also, they're 6-2 vs West, 4-2 vs East (with no games played against Boston yet... who's excited for 10 days from now? :P

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I still can't believe JSG is still in the league. That feels so long ago when they made their run.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    They very realistically could also be like 8-6 if they lost a lot of the games they deserved to (if not for the saviors in net). Also, they're 6-2 vs West, 4-2 vs East (with no games played against Boston yet... who's excited for 10 days from now? :P
    Boston hasn't exactly been dominating this season thus far. They should have won last night, but couldn't generate enough offense to win the game and that is one of their weak links. So long as the Leafs use their size and speed to get first to the puck in the defensive zone and they can generate lots of scoring chances, they won't have a problem.

I don't know if their E v W record is anything to be like "omg wow!" Even if it's sitting at 6-2 after a month. They squeaked a win out last night with Bernier spinning on his head and beat the worst team in the league twice Granted they beat Minny and Nashville, but they're still not even top 8 teams. Anaheim's been their only really top level win vs the West so far. Maybe if they could muster a win or two against someone like Colorado, San Jose, Chicago or St Louis.

Not to mention with the exception of JVR, that top line was almost non existent last night. The Stajan line was running circles around them...I was really happy for my boys and how they played. Anyone but Bernier and I don't even dare to imagine how that game would have turned out.
    Last edited by Tradewind; 2013-10-31 at 07:38 PM.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Maybe if they could muster a win or two against someone like Colorado, San Jose, Chicago or St Louis.
    Are we really believing in Colorado already? Member that insane start Minnesota got off to 2 years ago, and then they missed the playoffs? I feel like the same will be coming for the Avs. They might make the playoffs, but it won't be pretty. Their corsi differential isn't very good and now they might have lost Varlamov for... who knows? But it's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Stommped View Post
    Are we really believing in Colorado already? Member that insane start Minnesota got off to 2 years ago, and then they missed the playoffs? I feel like the same will be coming for the Avs. They might make the playoffs, but it won't be pretty. Their corsi differential isn't very good and now they might have lost Varlamov for... who knows? But it's bad.
    Well they're certainly a hot team right now. After Xmas/Olympics, who knows. Plus with Varlamov's issues could be a distraction. Just saying, they've beaten the Leafs already. San Jose is pretty much the best team in the league right now though.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    And once again, the NHL continues to prove why they don't take head hits seriously.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    And once again, the NHL continues to prove why they don't take head hits seriously.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6...id=DL|NHL|home
    Am I missing the joke here? He got a suspension?

Speaking of, Carter Ashton needs a suspension for that hit last night.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Am I missing the joke here? He got a suspension?

Speaking of, Carter Ashton needs a suspension for that hit last night.
    My point was that there isn't any consistency nor is there any attempt to set a precedent in order to deter hits to the head.