Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Edmonton throwing out some money. Frankly I think it's going to leave them stunted in a couple of years due to cap issues.
    Depends on how much the cap goes up though. We should be expecting a significant cap increase in the next couple of seasons, especially with the league expansion going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Depends on how much the cap goes up though. We should be expecting a significant cap increase in the next couple of seasons, especially with the league expansion going on.
    They thought it woukd make a big jump already and it really hasn't. I suspect it stays pretty flat growth wise.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only a few more weeks left boys!

Hey Treliving, sign Bennett and Jagr already!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradewind View Post
    Hey Treliving, sign Bennett and Jagr already!
    I don't think anyone who is contending wants Jagr. Either they don't have the cap space or they won't give him top 6 minutes. Sure, he can still put up some OK numbers, but you can tell he definitely doesn't have the foot speed of younger players and the league is starting to lean heavily on those fast and smaller young guys to set the pace. I seriously don't even know why the Leafs gave Marleau a 3 year deal, but if he can be productive for two of those years, then that is enough, but the NHL is definitely a young man's game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think anyone who is contending wants Jagr. Either they don't have the cap space or they won't give him top 6 minutes. Sure, he can still put up some OK numbers, but you can tell he definitely doesn't have the foot speed of younger players and the league is starting to lean heavily on those fast and smaller young guys to set the pace. I seriously don't even know why the Leafs gave Marleau a 3 year deal, but if he can be productive for two of those years, then that is enough, but the NHL is definitely a young man's game.
    Basically, this year has shown that the top contenders in the East are slowly coming down to earth. So if you are Toronto who has 2 more years of cheap contracts with Matthews and Marner. Go for it. Take advantage of them being cheap and win a cup. Bring in effective players to compliment your young guns.

This is almost the exact opposite of what Edmonton did. Paid the players before they actually won anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like that piece of shit Shane Doan finally retired.

10+ Year Old Account
    Him and Iggy are probably going to head up the Olympic team with some other players that are abroad. Maybe some really good Jr players.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    Basically, this year has shown that the top contenders in the East are slowly coming down to earth. So if you are Toronto who has 2 more years of cheap contracts with Matthews and Marner. Go for it. Take advantage of them being cheap and win a cup. Bring in effective players to compliment your young guns.

This is almost the exact opposite of what Edmonton did. Paid the players before they actually won anything.
    Gonna be hard pressed to beat the Oilers and a couple of other teams, truth be told. As good as Pittsburgh is, they are definitely showing some age, the young kids will eventually just out skate them. What matters really is getting goaltending, if you are a team like Toronto or Edmonton right now, you need your goalie to be a star if you have any aspirations of winning a Cup. The Pacific is wide open for Edmonton to dominate it, their only real competition might be Calgary and Anaheim. Chicago should still be good. It foresee a Leafs-Habs fight for the Atlantic division this year, Boston will probably regress some more because they are getting older and haven't drafted well enough to be a serious contender, imo they got lucky getting in because of a weak division last year that saw the Lightning plagued with injuries and a regressed Red Wings team that is expected to be at the bottom for a few years. Likely a Montreal/Toronto/Buffalo top 3, assuming Eichel stays healthy and the Sabres get some fucking goaltending because that seems to be their weakness right now, how well they do also hinges on whether the team is actually good too, can't rely on one guy to put up all the points.

What always worries me is the sophomore slump, but I think that is more of an old wives tale than a reality.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna be hard pressed to beat the Oilers and a couple of other teams, truth be told. As good as Pittsburgh is, they are definitely showing some age, the young kids will eventually just out skate them. What matters really is getting goaltending, if you are a team like Toronto or Edmonton right now, you need your goalie to be a star if you have any aspirations of winning a Cup. The Pacific is wide open for Edmonton to dominate it, their only real competition might be Calgary and Anaheim. Chicago should still be good. It foresee a Leafs-Habs fight for the Atlantic division this year, Boston will probably regress some more because they are getting older and haven't drafted well enough to be a serious contender, imo they got lucky getting in because of a weak division last year that saw the Lightning plagued with injuries and a regressed Red Wings team that is expected to be at the bottom for a few years. Likely a Montreal/Toronto/Buffalo top 3, assuming Eichel stays healthy and the Sabres get some fucking goaltending because that seems to be their weakness right now, how well they do also hinges on whether the team is actually good too, can't rely on one guy to put up all the points.

What always worries me is the sophomore slump, but I think that is more of an old wives tale than a reality.
    Sean Monahan doesn't care about sophomore slumps, I'm sure Mathews won't either.

Buffalos defense buffablows. Ristolainain is really good but everyone else isn't very good imo. Until they address that issue they're going to be a middling team unable to make the jump. Forward core is solid but there's some iffy contracts there. I can see them finishing anywhere between the basement and a wildcard spot.

Only way to a playoff spot in the East for the next couple years is gonna be in the Atlantic for most of that division. Metro is just so fucking stacked right now and when the top teams start to regress they'll be replaced by Carolina. Canes might be darkhorse good in the future if they can sort of goaltending. Really good defense core and some underrated pieces overall. I'd imagine the Sabres battle with the Sens/Bruins/Lightning/Panthers for the final playoff spot in the next 2-3 years and even then so I don't see them being better than anyone in that division except for maybe the Panthers and the Red Wings.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2017-08-31 at 01:19 AM.

Buffalo will continue to be Buffalo; not worried about them at all. Tampa, Montreal, Ottawa are all much more of a concern to me; Tampa is the team that will depend on the players staying healthy, not Buffalo.

As far as sophomore slumps go, I believe its been proven to not really be a thing for elite level players. Sure guys like McKinnon may not do as well in their second year, but when it does happen it's usually because:
    1. They're expected to play a better defensive/overall game
    2. They're more sheltered in their first year (e.g. put in more against 3rd liners instead of 1st liners)
    3. Coaches prepare more against those specific players

Matthews is already an elite defensive player, hasn't been sheltered, and got specifically targeted by opposing coaches after his first game last year. He's good enough overall and has played well in difficult minutes. Marner won't be impacted if teams are focusing more on Matthews. Nylander already played in the NHL last year and the year before, but if he moves to Centre (e.g. we trade Bozak) there might be a bit of a slump.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hextall seriously thinks the Flyers are going to make the playoffs this year.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/f...berth-2017-18/

Honestly, Montreal, New York Rangers, Toronto, Ottawa, Tampa, Pittsburgh and Washington all look poised for playoff births at this point. Odds are Columbus is in that mix again, they weren't terrible last year. What makes him think he has a better team than any of those 8 that I listed? The only thing that the Flyers look to be poised to do is jock for position for a high end draft pick. Boston is likely to regress some more, especially as other teams improve. Carolina is a dark horse, they have been stock piling some good prospects, don't be at all surprised to see them come out with something to prove. I am thinking the benchmark for making the playoffs will be a bit higher this coming season. There are quite a few mediocre teams in each division, and some real power houses that should be feeding off those lowly teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's weird how the East looks set in stone compared to the West. Where it's pretty much anyone's game.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    It's weird how the East looks set in stone compared to the West. Where it's pretty much anyone's game.
    I wouldn't say so, but we kind of know who the major players are going to be in both conferences. The Jets are kind of a wildcard, but I think they have the tools to get into the playoffs. The Oilers and Flames will no doubt be there, some guys from Nashville will need to step it up if they want to get in because they are minus a couple of contributors from their run last year. I think we know what the Ducks are, Chicago will need a rebound year because I think teams around them have gotten better over the last year or two and their cap situation doesn't help them either. Expect Vegas and Arizona to be shit, who knows what Avs and Stars teams we see.

I wouldn't say so, but we kind of know who the major players are going to be in both conferences. The Jets are kind of a wildcard, but I think they have the tools to get into the playoffs. The Oilers and Flames will no doubt be there, some guys from Nashville will need to step it up if they want to get in because they are minus a couple of contributors from their run last year. I think we know what the Ducks are, Chicago will need a rebound year because I think teams around them have gotten better over the last year or two and their cap situation doesn't help them either. Expect Vegas and Arizona to be shit, who knows what Avs and Stars teams we see.
    We lost Fisher, Neal and Wilson and in all honesty I'm not sure any of them kills us. Fisher is replaced by Bonino, who may actually be a bit better, Neal's production should be replaced more or less by a combination of players ( Fiala, Aberg, Smith not completely sucking ass). Wilson is easily replaced by Hartnell, and in fact may be a huge improvement numbers wise.

TBH the real question is what version of Sissons do we get, how does Peka play, and does our 3rd and 4th lines actually show up for once. We've basically been making the playoffs off of two forward lines.

Frankly I don't think anyone in the Central is safe to get in at this point. They are all pretty solid, but they all have their weaknesses.
    Last edited by Armourboy; 2017-09-05 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Frankly I don't think anyone in the Central is safe to get in at this point. They are all pretty solid, but they all have their weaknesses.
    ** Exceptions may apply to the Avalanche

Other than goaltending and season ending injury to key piece I'll be surprised if Nashville fails to make it in the playoffs. Defense alone should be good enough to get them in..
    Still though, getting rid of Neal for nothing was utter insanity.

- - - Updated - - -

Hextall seriously thinks the Flyers are going to make the playoffs this year.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/f...berth-2017-18/

Honestly, Montreal, New York Rangers, Toronto, Ottawa, Tampa, Pittsburgh and Washington all look poised for playoff births at this point. Odds are Columbus is in that mix again, they weren't terrible last year. What makes him think he has a better team than any of those 8 that I listed? The only thing that the Flyers look to be poised to do is jock for position for a high end draft pick. Boston is likely to regress some more, especially as other teams improve. Carolina is a dark horse, they have been stock piling some good prospects, don't be at all surprised to see them come out with something to prove. I am thinking the benchmark for making the playoffs will be a bit higher this coming season. There are quite a few mediocre teams in each division, and some real power houses that should be feeding off those lowly teams.
    A big injury to Matthews or Andersen and we're eliminated, Stamkos for Tampa, Price for Habs, Tavares for Isles... just a couple of those might be enough for Phili to squeeze in a Wild Card. Phili is interesting to me; they have a lot of talent but who knows if it'll live up to expections. Defense is a big question mark, Voracek & Filppula can be difference makers if they can find their forms from a few years ago, Patrick was supposed to go #1 overall and playing behind Giroux gives them some pretty good Centre depth, decent defensive bottom 6, and they have one of the better pools of young players/prospects. They could get lucky enough if they get the goaltending as that's going to be a problem for them. Also unfortunate for them they play in a difficult division, especially since NJ got a top draft pick and Carolina seems to be going upwards.
    Last edited by Greeney; 2017-09-06 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    ** Exceptions may apply to the Avalanche

Other than goaltending and season ending injury to key piece I'll be surprised if Nashville fails to make it in the playoffs. Defense alone should be good enough to get them in..
    Still though, getting rid of Neal for nothing was utter insanity.

- - - Updated - - -

Eh he chose a long term contract in Jarnkrok over a short term one with Neal. Just from talking around, I get the sense that we didn't have any plans on keeping Neal long term after this season anyways. If that is the case, it at least balances things out a bit on the insanity level. Poile rewarded loyalty, so hopefully that pays us back on down the line somewhere with some other guys. Not sure it will but who knows.

We still have room to make a move if the scoring is slacking, which I think is the main reason you saw Poile not burn up that cap space.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a lot of teams are keeping some cap space open because there is a big prize in free agency next year. Colorado also has 3 good players that do have cap hits as well.

I still don't get it. They' had a first line player on a team that has just been to the finals and letting him go for free? Okay, I respect they're rewarding loyalty but plenty of teams trade for a guy like Neal just for a 1 year run at the cup. So now they're throwing away a better chance at a Cup as well as any chance to get some kind of compensation for a top line player? Hell, if they really think Neal isn't in their top 8 then trade him for a couple late picks to a team that could use a slot on him before the draft if they couldn't get anything better.

If you need the cap space for later you could make the trade at that time. Not to mention, Neal could be a major part of a deal for a guy like Duchene or Tavares if you want to go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    I still don't get it. They' had a first line player on a team that has just been to the finals and letting him go for free? Okay, I respect they're rewarding loyalty but plenty of teams trade for a guy like Neal just for a 1 year run at the cup. So now they're throwing away a better chance at a Cup as well as any chance to get some kind of compensation for a top line player? Hell, if they really think Neal isn't in their top 8 then trade him for a couple late picks to a team that could use a slot on him before the draft if they couldn't get anything better.

If you need the cap space for later you could make the trade at that time. Not to mention, Neal could be a major part of a deal for a guy like Duchene or Tavares if you want to go that route.
    Ellis is out for 6 months now, not even possible to be available til January. Just from the way they are talking Bonino may not exactly be able to go as well. Losing Neal is the least of our concerns right now.