Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with the Flyers now is they have been a revolving door for goalies the last two or three years. I don't see how Bryzgalov is their answer seeing as how they had 3 capable NHL goalies. For their sake, I hope they don't wind up like Ottawa who have had the most goalies since the lockout of any team in the league.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not really much they can change in the divisions. 20 teams are located in the East as it is.

Central:____ Northwest:
    Detroit_____ Montreal
    Chicago____ Buffalo
    Minnesota__Ottawa
    St. Louis___ Boston
    Columbus___ Toronto

NorthWest___ Atlantic:
    Vancouver___ New York I
    Winnipeg___ New Jersey
    Colorado____ Pittsburgh
    Calgary____ Philadelphia
    Edmonton___ New York R

Pacific:____ Southeast:
    San Jose___ Flordia
    Phoenix____ Tampa Bay
    Los Angeles___ Carolina
    Anaheim____ Nashville
    Dallas____ Washington
    Last edited by Irony; 2011-06-26 at 07:09 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ketzil View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=6706113

So stoked to see what comes out of this, despite it being a ways away.

Also I feel like the Flyers went from trying for the cup next year to trying for the cup in 2-4 years with the moves they made. Sure its not a bad idea, just my two cents.

Somehow they just need to get the stars and bruins to play more. Those are always the most bitterly fun games. I already have 12/31 circled on my calendar.
    Their offense is certainly going to dip slightly, but I don't think it will fall to the point where they stop being a contender. Their goaltending is going to be way better than this year. Richards and Carter were both good, but they certainly aren't superstar talents. Carter is a 60-point player aside from one season in his career where he had 84. Richards is pretty much the same thing. While good, it isn't like they were giving up an Ovie or Crosby level talent. Simmonds is a 30-40 point talent and Schenn could be a superstar level talent.They still have space to play with also. If anything, I think the Flyers could be better next year than they were this season.

As for the realignment news, I am incredibly excited. A balanced schedule completely deletes the main argument Western Conference teams have been using against the Red Wings being the team moved to the East. That argument of course being that the Red Wings are an incredible boon to attendance on the road. Not that that argument was ever really based in reality because it really only applies to Phoenix and a select few other teams as San Jose, LA, Vancouver, Edmonton, etc. already sell out every or nearly every home game. Phoenix as I mentioned enjoys an enormous explosion in attendance when Detroit is in town. In the two regular season home games against Detroit last year, Phoenix sold out. That includes the season opener in Phoenix where they were 200 and change over official seating cap. The following weekend when they played their next home game, 6,000 people showed up for a game against the Kings. Six freaking thousand. A drop of nearly 12,000 fans because it wasn't the Wings on the ice. That being said, is anything, that argument would actually serve to help the Wings relocation as there are some really poorly attended teams in the East that would enjoy that increase to attendance. But again, that is canceled by a balanced schedule.

I see the divisions breaking down like this if they do go to 4:
    Western Conference
    Pacific Division: Vancouver, Edmonton, Colorado, LA, Phoenix, San Jose, Anaheim, Calgary
    Midwest Division: Dallas, Minnesota, Winnipeg, Chicago, Nashville, Columbus, St. Louis
    Eastern Conference
    Stanley Cup Division: Detroit, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Buffalo
    Atlantic Division: New York, New york, New Jersey, Carolina, Tampa, Florida, Washington

Pretty much every major rivalry is intact, except Detroit/Chicago, and the NHL gets an absolute powerhouse ratings division with Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Boston, Pitt, and Philly.

---------- Post added 2011-06-26 at 03:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Not really much they can change in the divisions. 20 teams are located in the East as it is.
    They are cutting to 4 divisions according to reports with the top 4 teams in each division going to the playoffs. First round is divisional and then reseeded from there. Also, only 16 teams are in the EST, the 15 teams from last season minus Atlanta plus Detroit and Columbus.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    They are cutting to 4 divisions according to reports with the top 4 teams in each division going to the playoffs. First round is divisional and then reseeded from there. Also, only 16 teams are in the EST, the 15 teams from last season minus Atlanta plus Detroit and Columbus.
    I meant East as in Geography wise. Every team East of Dallas, are in Eastern North America. Minnesota being the most Western to Boston being the most Eastern.

I just hope the avs don't fall apart mid-season again like last year,
    mad me very very sad panda

Heartbroken is the only word I can use to describe my feelings going into the next season. Atlanta's body is still warm and the whole league is stomping all over it as they hoist high the Winnipeg flag. Every bit of news that comes out concerning Winnipeg is a jab to the heart. The biggest insult was when they declared the Thrashers the Jets.

The Jets are in Phoenix. What a terrible thing to dress the Thrashers up in a misbegotten image of a former team that still exists. The least they could have done is come up with a new name. I just hope they don't bring back the same awful logo and colors.

Ugh.. so upset with the league. No more. I'm through.

Bettman, if you ever come to Maine, I'll find you. Count on it.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    No one cares about Atlanta, they were a failing franchise just like Phoenix, if Bettman had just let Jim Balsillie buy the Coyotes and move them to Hamilton and let True North bring the Thrashers to Atlanta, the league would be going forward into next season with teams in proven markets and less revenue loss risks.

i'm excited about mike richards coming to LA, unless of course brayden shenn ends up being jesus and puts up 50 goals.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaucent View Post
    Heartbroken is the only word I can use to describe my feelings going into the next season. Atlanta's body is still warm and the whole league is stomping all over it as they hoist high the Winnipeg flag. Every bit of news that comes out concerning Winnipeg is a jab to the heart. The biggest insult was when they declared the Thrashers the Jets.

The Jets are in Phoenix. What a terrible thing to dress the Thrashers up in a misbegotten image of a former team that still exists. The least they could have done is come up with a new name. I just hope they don't bring back the same awful logo and colors.

Ugh.. so upset with the league. No more. I'm through.

Bettman, if you ever come to Maine, I'll find you. Count on it.
    Atlanta's body hasn't been warm in years. They've only had a pulse about twice in the last decade. More people go to WNBA games than went to Atlanta hockey games and the WNBA is freaking unwatchable. The vast majority of the Winnipeg fanbase is head over heels with joy that the team is just the Winnipeg Jets again and not Manitoba Moose or Winnipeg Somethings.

Don't be upset with the league. Be upset with ASG. They are the ones who couldn't find a way to make it work. Be upset with Atlanta for giving zero support to what was at times a good hockey team with superstars on it. Don't be upset with the league though. If it wasn't for them, hockey never would have returned to Atlanta to give it another go. Atlanta has always been a miserable sports town and the Thrashers were doomed to fail. When they can't sell out Braves playoff games for the most impressive line up in team history with great hitters and a pitching rotation that had at least 3 Hall of Famers in Maddux, Glavine, and Smoltz, I don't know how on Earth the NHL or Ted Turner thought that hockey could survive.

---------- Post added 2011-06-27 at 11:26 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sikkarra View Post
    i'm excited about mike richards coming to LA, unless of course brayden shenn ends up being jesus and puts up 50 goals.
    Oh he is going to be.

---------- Post added 2011-06-27 at 11:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No one cares about Atlanta, they were a failing franchise just like Phoenix, if Bettman had just let Jim Balsillie buy the Coyotes and move them to Hamilton and let True North bring the Thrashers to Atlanta, the league would be going forward into next season with teams in proven markets and less revenue loss risks.
    The NHL and Glendale has probably lost nearly $200 million by not approving the sale to Basillie. Glendale lost $25 million last year and $25 million this upcoming season, and god knows how much before, to cover a fraction of the losses of the Coyotes incurred. The NHL lost what would have been an enormous relocation fee. The Winnipeg relocation fee was $70 million. The Phoenix one would have probably been similar. The NHL has also lost on the Coyotes yearly losses that they have had to bank roll. Last year, that was an extra $12 million to cover the $37 million in losses by the Coyotes. They have also lost on god knows how much in ticket, merchandise, and food and beverage revenue. So we are looking at:

$50 million- Glendale's 2010-11 season commitment and 2011-2012 commitment to cover losses
    $70 million- Relocation fee paid to NHL
    ~$60 million- Ticket sales calculated at ~9,000 (based on appx Phoenix home attendance and Hamilton's assuredly 100%+ nightly sellout at $80 per ticket for 82 home games in 2009-10 and 2010-11.

So right there, the NHL and Glendale already lost approximately $180 million by not making the sale of an inevitably failing franchise two years ago when the owner tried to sell it in bankruptcy court. That doesn't include the tens of millions from food, tens of millions from merchandising, millions from naming rights, hundreds of millions from tv contracts and advertisements.

All in the name of propping up a business/mall district across from the city owned stadium. Oh ya and that mall district is facing foreclosure because most of the stores are closed and the restaurants get little business.

15+ Year Old Account
    Leafs sign Reimer for 3 years. Now at least we have a consistent goalie. Gustavsson started last season off ok, but fell apart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just noticed how young the Leafs are, oldest player is 34, and next to that is 30. A lot of young talent, could be a threat in 2 years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Anyone want to hear the sound of Bettman's head exploding in anger:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...id-to-buy.html

Good old "Phoenix" Coyotes. So now there are no concrete buyers in process and the only two people in talks are Reisdorph who owns the White Sox and Bulls and who likely will want to move the team to Vegas is the chance presents itself and a mysterious third party. My money is on Glendale called Residorph and begged and the mysterious third party is the city council chair's mother.

---------- Post added 2011-06-27 at 05:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    Leafs sign Reimer for 3 years. Now at least we have a consistent goalie. Gustavsson started last season off ok, but fell apart.
    I like Reimer, but then again I liked the Swedish monster, but I wouldn't slap consistent on him quite yet. Not until we see how he plays next season although I do expect him to be quite good. Toronto Maple Leafs, a 2011-2012 playoff team.

---------- Post added 2011-06-27 at 05:45 PM ----------

Also great job by the Canucks on signing Bieska on a pretty favorable deal. Only $4.6/year? Yes please.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I like Reimer, but then again I liked the Swedish monster, but I wouldn't slap consistent on him quite yet. Not until we see how he plays next season although I do expect him to be quite good. Toronto Maple Leafs, a 2011-2012 playoff team.
    Gustavsson has the same problem as greasy Lou but without as much talent. Chokes when things start going sour. Reimer keeps his cool and is responsible for the turn-around late last season. If the Leafs didn't have such goalie issues Dec-Feb they would have finished at least with a playoff spot.

That bit about there being no support in Atlanta is not true. Philips Arena was packed when they first came into the scene, but they slowly dwindled to just the true fans (not fairweathers), until Atlanta's playoff run season. That place was actually sold out for the play offs. Then when Atlanta went back to being mediocore it was the true fans again, which still almost rivaled the number that MTS Centre ALLOWS in their seats. Don't tell me it would be any different any place else. Atlanta had core fans with nothing else to fill the void because the product on the ice had dug itself into a hole. A few months of being average or a few weeks of being good would not have been enough to mend that wound. That was improving.

I do blame ASG the most. Probably the worst ownership in the history of the NHL. What makes me angry at Bettman and the league though is that they lied about keeping the Thrashers in Atlanta right up until the very last second. Those fans never got to say goodbye, and there were a lot of them.
    "You hurt me long ago; my wounds bled for years. Now you are back, but I am not the same."

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaucent View Post
    That bit about there being no support in Atlanta is not true. Philips Arena was packed when they first came into the scene, but they slowly dwindled to just the true fans (not fairweathers), until Atlanta's playoff run season. That place was actually sold out for the play offs. Then when Atlanta went back to being mediocore it was the true fans again, which still almost rivaled the number that MTS Centre ALLOWS in their seats. Don't tell me it would be any different any place else. Atlanta had core fans with nothing else to fill the void because the product on the ice had dug itself into a hole. A few months of being average or a few weeks of being good would not have been enough to mend that wound. That was improving.

I do blame ASG the most. Probably the worst ownership in the history of the NHL. What makes me angry at Bettman and the league though is that they lied about keeping the Thrashers in Atlanta right up until the very last second. Those fans never got to say goodbye, and there were a lot of them.
    They never once lied about the team staying up until the last second. They refused to acknoledge a sale was in progress, as is the norm when you are still trying to find local owners. Anyone in Atlanta or anyone paying attention around the country knew that the team was on the move for months. There was little interest from an ownership group that was willing to discus staying in Atlanta or than a couple groups inquiring about the team. With the delay on moving Phoenix, it should have been incredibly obvious that the team was moving and that there was no way the NHL would be willing to give up enormous relocation money to make up for their Phoenix losses or to take on another Phoenix as ASG wanted out and would do so anny way they could. Bettman never lied to Atlanta. He never held a press conference telling them they had local owners lined up and the team would be there forever. The only thing that could even be construed as lying was his save-face statements that every commish, owner, coach, etc. makes.

As for attendance, Atlanta has average "claimed" attendance exceeding 16,000 in ONE year in the last decade. That was their playoff year when they averaged 16,240 for a whopping 87% attendance. That is bad. In their very best year, Atlanta was 22nd in the league by percentage, 21st by population. Every other season except for two has been <15,000 claimed gate. And we all know claimed gate is absolute bullshit. Phoenix has a yearly average claimed gate of 12,188. We all know that that is absolute bullshit. They have nights where there is 6-7,000 people in the arena, yet they still claim 12,000 plus for the night due to sales, tickets given away or discounted, etc. Detroit does the same thing. I have been to a couple dozen Wings games, and outside of the playoff games, only one was actually a full crowd with no empty seats in sight (against the Avs back in the rivalry days). A couple times I was the only person in the entire damn row. Yet nearly every game was a claimed sell out even with a thousand empty seats around the arena. Moral of the story is that Atlanta has never, never, never averaged the amount of people in the seats for an entire season that Winnipeg will get each and every night just like every Canadian team. Sure Atlanta had some "true" fan support, but not enough to support half a full stadium on a nightly basis for even their playoff or competitive seasons let alone during the dark times.

As for being packed when they moved, ya they were mostly packed. FOR ONE SEASON. In 99-2000 they were the 11th highest attended team in the NHL with over 17,200 people, still less than the 18,000 Atlanta seats at full capacity. The next season they shed 2,000 fans. The next season another 1,500. This has never been a healthy franchise. The newness wore off midway through their first season and attendance has never picked up to an acceptable level.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-06-27 at 11:13 PM.

I'm happy that we have Bieksa back but I'm kind of surprised he's making more than Hamhuis.
    I remember it all too well

10+ Year Old Account
    I predict the tampa bay lightning will win stanley if they keep stamkos. Mike Smith is an amazing goaltender. And of course the Avs back in the playoffs!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Howler View Post
    I predict the tampa bay lightning will win stanley if they keep stamkos. Mike Smith is an amazing goaltender. And of course the Avs back in the playoffs!
    Mike Smith is of the same quality as Jimmy Howard, just above average.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Mike Smith is of the same quality as Jimmy Howard, just above average.
    Through his first two seasons in the NHL, Howard has been a top 10 goalie.

Oh and by the way, THAT WAS IN HIS FIRST TWO SEASONS IN THE NHL. Why are people always wrecking on Howard? His first season he is the ONLY reason the Red Wings make the playoffs due to his ridiculous play down the stretch that should have resulted in the Calder. Year two he puts up 37 wins and a 2.79 GAA good for 1 win behind the NHL leader in 9 less games than price but 3 more than Luongo and his GAA was inflated slightly because the Wings were pretty bad this year defensively without Datsyuk in the lineup for a huge chunk of the year. Their GAA went up nearly 1 goal per game without him on the ice.

@Howler: You have nothing to worry about with them keeping Stamkos. He will be there next season and for years to come.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Capitals locked up Brooks Laich for 6 years.
    red panda red panda red panda!