10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    I'd like to punch the person who decided that the Leafs shouldn't play another game for 7 days, absolutely stupid.
    Yep, a lot of teams are on that boat right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeliri View Post
    Its a known fact that the refs are always harder on Det. especially during the playoffs. We are always getting bullshit calls on us
    LOL QQ wut?

You cant single out the ref's for your team playing badly, I saw maybe 2 bad calls one of them being an offsides on and odd man rush. I think you really need to take a closer look at your wings as a team. Not the refs.

Bruins start in half an hour. I absolutely love afternoon games. We got Rask making his season debut today, I have really high expectations for him, and I'm sure most of Boston does.

I've also really enjoyed watching Benoit Pouliot play. He is very aware of whats going on around him and is one of the first people to jump into a scrum or bash someone against the boards.

I<3 My Bruins

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevorkian View Post
    Lost to the Flames?

They beat them 5-3 chief. I was just pointing out your isn't the only team doing it tough at the start of the season.
    no theres plenty of teams, than again though, you did lose to edmonton, which is worse...

---------- Post added 2011-10-10 at 05:27 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cheddabezze View Post
    LOL QQ wut?

You cant single out the ref's for your team playing badly, I saw maybe 2 bad calls one of them being an offsides on and odd man rush. I think you really need to take a closer look at your wings as a team. Not the refs.

Bruins start in half an hour. I absolutely love afternoon games. We got Rask making his season debut today, I have really high expectations for him, and I'm sure most of Boston does.

I've also really enjoyed watching Benoit Pouliot play. He is very aware of whats going on around him and is one of the first people to jump into a scrum or bash someone against the boards.

I<3 My Bruins
    detroit has more goals overturned than any other tema in the league, and thats just because thomas holmstrom stands near the goaltender, is that fair?

Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    detroit has more goals overturned than any other tema in the league, and thats just because thomas holmstrom stands near the goaltender, is that fair?
    Depends on the situation. Either way, I don't agree that it's a "well known fact" that refs are always harder on *insert my team here* because we are always getting bullshit calls on us... like it never happens to any other team. Cheddabezze is right, the comment was nothing but ridiculous QQ.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remember that game, in 1996, Conference Finals Game 7 between the Leafs and Kings? Gretzky high sticked Doug Gilmour and there wasn't a penalty called for it despite the ref at the time, none other then the Leafs fans biggest hated person in hockey Kerry Fraiser who clearly saw the high stick and didn't call it, but gave the Kings a power play because Gretzky got tripped on the same play? Yeah, you want to call ref bias, watch any Leafs game that Kerry Fraiser reffed, odds are you will find at least one bull shit call in every game. Ref bias is hilarious, especially against the Original 6 teams. Detroit and Toronto especially get some really shitty reffing.

Remember that game, in 1996, Conference Finals Game 7 between the Leafs and Kings? Gretzky high sticked Doug Gilmour and there wasn't a penalty called for it despite the ref at the time, none other then the Leafs fans biggest hated person in hockey Kerry Fraiser who clearly saw the high stick and didn't call it, but gave the Kings a power play because Gretzky got tripped on the same play? Yeah, you want to call ref bias, watch any Leafs game that Kerry Fraiser reffed, odds are you will find at least one bull shit call in every game. Ref bias is hilarious, especially against the Original 6 teams. Detroit and Toronto especially get some really shitty reffing.
    It was 1993 and it was game 6. One really bad call. Doesn't mean all/any refs are biased against Toronto. Almost every fan is going to have games where they feel this way. You're never going to find perfect refs.

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    You're never going to find perfect refs.
    I think perfect refs would ruin the game. Perfect meaning they would never make a bad/wrong call and always call every little penalty. Players would dive more often and refs would call it. It would be like soccer (Erhmm football). Atleast our current refs bring some emotion with them into the games. They can see how the game is progressing and how the atmosphere is developing, and work off that. I'm happy with our refs in this league, sure there have been times when I'm screaming at the TV looking for a tripping or high-sticking. But I wont hold a grudge against a certain ref for not calling it.

My beloved Bruins are losing 1-0 with 4 mins left in the third. Av's goalie is playing amazing right now. Is this game a Stanley Cup hangover game?

10+ Year Old Account
    Citing a bad call from 15+ years ago... hold a grudge?
    Play the victim and you will be the victim.

On another note, go my Avs!
    Dunno how they held off Boston, but good lord Varlamov is our new prophet I feel.

15+ Year Old Account
    Citing a bad call from 15+ years ago... hold a grudge?
    Play the victim and you will be the victim.

On another note, go my Avs!
    Dunno how they held off Boston, but good lord Varlamov is our new prophet I feel.
    Got to love Toronto fans lol. That one play is the reason they lost the Cup and haven't won it since.

Got to say, I have to apologize to whoever I said that the Avs were going to be terrible to. They looked good for a majority of the Wings game and again tonight. They have a lot of young talent on that squad. If they can avoid injuries and their young kids can meet their expectations they could compete for the 7-8 spot in the West. The only "locks" in the West are the Wings, Sharks, Canucks, and Kings with maybe the Ducks and the Hawks although I am hesitant on the Hawks based on their fall last year but there is no reason they shouldn't be a playoff team with their line up. The other two-three slots are up for grabs for sure. I don't trust the Jackets or Blues. The Flames are the Flames and completely unpredictable. Same for the Wild. I don't see the Stars, Oilers, or Yotes being good. So it comes down to the Avs, Preds, Flames, Blues, and Wild for those last two spots in my eyes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Got to love Toronto fans lol. That one play is the reason they lost the Cup and haven't won it since.

Got to say, I have to apologize to whoever I said that the Avs were going to be terrible to. They looked good for a majority of the Wings game and again tonight. They have a lot of young talent on that squad. If they can avoid injuries and their young kids can meet their expectations they could compete for the 7-8 spot in the West. The only "locks" in the West are the Wings, Sharks, Canucks, and Kings with maybe the Ducks and the Hawks although I am hesitant on the Hawks based on their fall last year but there is no reason they shouldn't be a playoff team with their line up. The other two-three slots are up for grabs for sure. I don't trust the Jackets or Blues. The Flames are the Flames and completely unpredictable. Same for the Wild. I don't see the Stars, Oilers, or Yotes being good. So it comes down to the Avs, Preds, Flames, Blues, and Wild for those last two spots in my eyes.
    remember though, Colorado started out hot last year, and fell off as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    And Renn, come on it isn't the Leafs that Frasier hated, it is everybody. He is the one ref that has managed to be biased against everyone. He hated the Leafs. He hated the Wings. I'm sure he dicked over the Kings at some other point in those playoffs. He was just a terrible, terrible ref.

Speaking of fantasies, I am regretting drafting Mike Green. I hate that guy. I really do. He might put up good offensive numbers each year, but god is he a terrible, terrible defenseman. His stats will probably improve as the year goes on, but his play in the defensive zone won't so I'm sure I will see plenty of these -3 nights. Seriously, the most overrated player in the NHL is Mike Green. Brett freaking Lebda is a better defenseman than Mike Green and I wouldn't put Lebda on an AHL team.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-11 at 12:30 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah our downfall year season started when we visited Vancouver... Anderson got injured pre game, took a while to come back and when he did we visited Vancouver again... Injured. Again. Chopping and changing goalies hurt badly. Then we traded Stewart and Shattenkirk, then Anderson. Terribad form after that. Looks like we've got a solid unit now though

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Now there is a guy I am glad the Leafs got rid of, good god he was horrid. You would think on a team like the Wings he would have flourished into at least a decent player, but he was as disliked by Wings fans as he was by Leafs fans it seems.

And I dunno, Kerry Frasier robbed us of one of the few chances we had to bring the Cup back to Toronto. Whether he was biased against just the Leafs or all teams equally, he fucked us out of the opportunity to whoop those lousy Frenchmen and bring the Cup back to it's rightful home. I find it rather amusing though that people act like Toronto hasn't had any Cup contender teams since 67, during the mid 90's they had a great team and were playoff bound on multiple occasions.

15+ Year Old Account
    yeah our downfall year season started when we visited Vancouver... Anderson got injured pre game, took a while to come back and when he did we visited Vancouver again... Injured. Again. Chopping and changing goalies hurt badly. Then we traded Stewart and Shattenkirk, then Anderson. Terribad form after that. Looks like we've got a solid unit now though
    Ya I will never defend your terrible GM. I still don't understand the Shattenkirk and Stewart trade and his complete mishandling of Varlamov this off season was absolutely hilarious. Seriously, that is by far the worst GM move I have seen since Milbury left the Isles. Just incredible.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-11 at 01:50 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ya I will never defend your terrible GM. I still don't understand the Shattenkirk and Stewart trade and his complete mishandling of Varlamov this off season was absolutely hilarious. Seriously, that is by far the worst GM move I have seen since Milbury left the Isles. Just incredible.
    In hindsight, Anderson has played like shit in Ottawa too, despite what people say. He only looks decent because their team sucks. I'd still have kept Anderson though over trading for Elliot though.

Deleted
    Ottawa have more problems than just in goal though. They need to get a big D-man again imo, Larsson would have been a nice fit there.

15+ Year Old Account
    In hindsight, Anderson has played like shit in Ottawa too, despite what people say. He only looks decent because their team sucks. I'd still have kept Anderson though over trading for Elliot though.
    Varly is certainly a better goalie than either of those guys. The terrible part of the trade to get his rights from Washington was that they gave up a first and second round pick. Had they just given Varly an RFA offer sheet, since Washington wasn't going to keep him, all they would have had to give Washington was a 2nd rounder based on Varly's contract. They essentially gave Washington a 1st round potential lottery pick this year for free. Just incredibly stupid GM work there.

The Anderson/Elliot trade is pretty weird because it was essentially trading a guy for the same guy. No one really gained anything except for shedding a contract for the Avs. So I guess in that sense it worked out damn well.

---------- Post added 2011-10-11 at 07:08 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Mujje View Post
    Ottawa have more problems than just in goal though. They need to get a big D-man again imo, Larsson would have been a nice fit there.
    Remember when they gave Gonchar a massive contract before last year? Hilarious. Who pays a 35+ guy that much money when you know damn well you are in rebuilding mode. They aren't exactly flirting with the cap floor with the massive Spezza contract and the slightly less massive Alfy contract on the books for years. That move just didn't gain them much of anything.
    Last edited by conscript; 2011-10-11 at 11:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Depends on the situation. Either way, I don't agree that it's a "well known fact" that refs are always harder on *insert my team here* because we are always getting bullshit calls on us... like it never happens to any other team. Cheddabezze is right, the comment was nothing but ridiculous QQ.
    Not saying its never happend to other teams before. Its just more common with the Wings.
    Kaeliri
    Sturmgrenadier Officer
    www.sghq.org
    Join a 10+ year old adult gaming syndicate in the domination of the MMO world

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Varly is certainly a better goalie than either of those guys. The terrible part of the trade to get his rights from Washington was that they gave up a first and second round pick. Had they just given Varly an RFA offer sheet, since Washington wasn't going to keep him, all they would have had to give Washington was a 2nd rounder based on Varly's contract. They essentially gave Washington a 1st round potential lottery pick this year for free. Just incredibly stupid GM work there.
    Speaking of the Caps... what a game last night.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    Don's comments from opening night are picking up some steam.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...ic-cherry.html