I wasnt too thrilled with Carle last year. Homer still wants to bring him back at a lower than market value, I think I'd rather have someone who isnt Carle. But I guess we will see.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darthvendor View Post
    I wasnt too thrilled with Carle last year. Homer still wants to bring him back at a lower than market value, I think I'd rather have someone who isnt Carle. But I guess we will see.
    Its too bad they are blood enemies with the Pens. They could have pulled off that trade for Michalk for similar scrap pieces the Yotes gave up. A shut down D man like him would be a huge add.

Carolina is apparently one of the front runners for Nash. Staal, Staal, Nash is a formidable offensive force. I wonder if anyone is going to get a deal done for him before July 1st or at this point if he is behind Ryan and Parise in priority that teams are looking for.

Toronto and Florida both apparently talked to Vancouver about Luongo at the draft but the price was too high, for now.

Justin Schultz is officially a UFA now. Wouldn't mind the Wings going after him at all.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-06-24 at 12:19 AM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I can't tell if I hate this deal or love it. JVR will be a nice add for Toronto and Schenn is an improving d-man. Seems like a good deal for both clubs. Poor Reemer though having to play for the Leafs now. Good news, I might buy a Winter Classic Toronto jersey now. They still need to bring back Carle or find another solid defensman, but this and the draft was a good start.
    Schenn gives the Flyers a hard hitting shut down player on the roster. The thing I really don't understand is the negativity towards Toronto's defense last year, when Carlisle took over they had one of the best performing blue lines in the league, they just weren't scoring to win games. And Reimer looked good in the net too. When players take responsibility on the defensive end and block shots and don't take the dumb penalties in their own zone, they give any team the ability to win games. If he turns it around, Schenn gives the Flyers a much higher chance to win if he plays the shut down style that he was so dominant with in the WHL and the first couple of seasons in Toronto. And if JVR comes back healthy and strong in September, the Leafs are going to do a shit ton of damage offensively with a real #1 center.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have mixed feelings about the Toronto trades. I've been super busy since Friday so I haven't read much... but I miss Schenn. He was always one of my favourite players. /sigh well I guess Toronto has to do something to improve.

Also, I want to welcome conscript back to the team. He's a font of sports info and an excellent addition to the moderating team (well just me here). Welcome back dude!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Wow JVR for Schenn... congrats Toronto.

Also Martin Frk in the 2nd round? Not bad, could replace Bertuzzi come 3 years. Great hands, good size and one hell of a shot.

Also surprised we drafted a Goalie, understandably he was a steal, but third round is a bit high for a 5th place goalie.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-06-24 at 01:31 AM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Wow JVR for Schenn... congrats Toronto.

Also Martin Frk in the 2nd round? Not bad, could replace Bertuzzi come 3 years. Great hands, good size and one hell of a shot.

Also surprised we drafted a Goalie, understandably he was a steal, but third round is a bit high for a 5th place goalie.
    How do you think Bertz's kid will do in next year's draft? He is really coming into his own, hopefully he has a good season for the Storm again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    How do you think Bertz's kid will do in next year's draft? He is really coming into his own, hopefully he has a good season for the Storm again.
    Hard working kid who deserves to be in the NHL, issue is that he is 5'9. If he is taken, it will be late just due to his size. Sucks, because he does more than 6'4 players.

Will be similar to Nathan Gerbe, extremely talented player who got overlooked due to his size.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-06-24 at 01:51 AM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

10+ Year Old Account
    im fine with the schenn deal, schenn got beat a lot this year, if pronger comes back he would make for a good mentor for schenn

10+ Year Old Account
    get ready for constant city of brotherly love headlines

10+ Year Old Account
    nononononononononononononononononononononononononononononono etc etc...

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...medium=twitter

lets keep it a rumor kthx.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post

I'd be happy to see Leafs offer sheet Schneider and Luongo go to Florida. I doubt it'll happen though.
    As for the Schenn deal, I'm a fan of it. I like the way Schenn always follows through on hits, but he seems to get beat too often. I think this will be positive for both teams.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    I'd be happy to see Leafs offer sheet Schneider and Luongo go to Florida. I doubt it'll happen though.
    As for the Schenn deal, I'm a fan of it. I like the way Schenn always follows through on hits, but he seems to get beat too often. I think this will be positive for both teams.
    I really hope Gillis trades Luongo before he signs Scheider and then CLB offer sheets him for like 8m. Just so Vancouver would quite literally, burn Mike Gillis down.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Toronto threw an offer sheet at Schneider out of Vancouver's price range, I would fall over with laughter and probably lose a few Facebook friends in the process. It's almost free agency and they haven't signed Schneider, I know he is RFA but someone could easily toss a whole ton of money at him and he could walk out the door. To be honest, I wouldn't want to play in Vancouver if I were him, it's no better then Toronto and to be honest, the way they have treated Luongo, why would Schneider want that kind of treatment if things don't work out for him? I wonder how long before the Canucks realize their blue line is mediocre and they need some scoring depth up front. I'd think that if someone offer sheeted and acquired Schneider, Vancouver would be stuck with Luongo.

15+ Year Old Account

Blackhawks? WTF? Are they trading Kaner for him? Chicago's cap situation is already stickier than a june bug in molasses throwing a $5 million+ hit on there for the goalie seems like a real headache without moving someone significant. I could understand if Chicago was a goalie away from the Finals. They aren't. They are a goalie and 2-3 NHL caliber defenseman away.

I still hate the Florida idea. They don't need Luongo. They have a perfectly fantastic goalie just sitting there twiddling his thumbs waiting to be brought up.

It would be absolutely amazing to see someone try and poach Schneider away from Vancouver the minute they move Luongo though. Damn shame the NHL GMs refuse to use that power.

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 08:57 AM ----------

Rofl. I don't know if anyone mentioned this or not in here, but that pick that the Caps used to steal Forsberg, ya that was the pick the Colorado GM gave away in the Varlamov deal. Excuse me for a second:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

How the hell does that GM still have his job? He gave away a free first round pick that now would have been a bright, shiny new Forsberg for Colorado, a guy plenty of people thought was a top 10 prospect or higher. Good lord, what a massive fuck up. That trade was a huge mistake when they made it now it looks even worse.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Oh shit... talk about sibling rivalry in clubs like Boston and Montreal...
    Its going to be awesome. Was so happy to see Malcom Subban being the second goalie(ups was about to say first)
    He will get so far. sadly i'd hope he would get the chance in Montreal, seeing as they do have one of the better goaliecoaches in NHL, and i havent seen such potential in someone since Holtby got drafted in 08.
    But then again, it wont be long till he gets up to NHL at the speed he's evolving. Was at a camp with him, the movement on that goalie. blocker, catcher, 5hole and recovery + puck tracking was not something i've seen in so many years.
    Also i do love that he's so humble and actually doesent take things for granted like many other goalies do when they get drafted..
    Can't wait to see more of Subban. Even the brothers, hopefully Jordan gets drafted aswell, i just LOVE the hockey he plays. Not much of a musclemachine, but god damn the moves on that kid

15+ Year Old Account
    According to the Columbus Dispatch, Garth Snow of the Islanders offered Columbus, EVERY single pick the Islanders had in the entire draft for the #2 pick. All of them.

To CBJ: Pick Nos. 4, 34, 65, 103, 125, 155 and 185.
    To NYI: Pick No. 2
    It would have been a first of its kind trade. That is how ridiculously highly those two teams valued Ryan Murray. The Jackets were willing to take him over someone at #4 and six other guys. The Islanders would give up an entire year of prospects for him. That is god damn insane. Had the Jackets done that and used their option on the Kings pick at #30, they would have had four picks in the top 34. Had they managed to swing a Nash deal that likely would have grown to 5-6 picks in the top 34. Hope Murray performs or that is going to be a monumental blunder.

Can't decide who was dumber, the team in rebuilding mode that hasn't won a playoff series in twenty years that offered seven potential players for a player slightly better than their top pick or the team in rebuilding mode that hasn't won a playoff GAME in its existence turning down seven players for one guy who is slightly better than the best guy they would have drafted at #4. I think the answer is both although I might lean Isle here since they effectively offered to trade seven defenseman, that's all they drafted this weekend, for one defenseman who hasn't played a single nanosecond in the NHL and isn't much better than the guy they took.

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 02:14 PM ----------

HHOF meeting and announcement is tomorrow. First year eligible players include: Shanny, Sakic, Sundin, Claude Lemieux, Holik, Gelinas, Roenick, CuJo, and Ollie the Goalie. Shanny and Sakic are pretty much shoe ins. If either of those guys isn't first ballot I will be stunned. Sundin is meh imo, but the folks in Toronto probably like him enough to get him in (despite his refusal to leave being a fairly big part of what is wrong with that franchise now). Lemieux and Roenick are guys I could see in there. The rest don't really inspire much excitement along with the other 20 or so guys eligible this year for the first time.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-06-25 at 05:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nashville not re-signing Tootoo. Hawks, Blues, Wings, CBJ fans rejoice; won't have to hear that annoying whistle anymore six times per year.

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 02:45 PM ----------

The Islanders have spoken to the Ducks about Bobby Ryan. Now would be a good time to offer all of their 2013 draft picks.

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 02:47 PM ----------

Interest in Hjalmarsson picking up by Oilers and Senators.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just shows you how big of a joke NYI organization is imo. I know Murray is good and all but the fact that they're going to throw an entire draft away for him is stupid. The pick they took, Griffin Reinhart is going to be a good player too. He may not be as good as Murray but it's too early to just piss an entire year of prospects away. There's trying to do drastic things for your club at the draft and just plain stupid.

As for the Hockey Hall of Fame, Lemieux is just as much a shoe in as Sakic and Shannahan. 4 cups, a Conn Smyth, 9th on the cup scoring all-time, + scored so many clutch goals. Roenick will probably get in too 1300+ games, 500+ goals, 1200+ pts. As much as I'd like to see Gelinas get in, I don't think he will. 1 cup and practically another doesn't seem like enough.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Just shows you how big of a joke NYI organization is imo. I know Murray is good and all but the fact that they're going to throw an entire draft away for him is stupid. The pick they took, Griffin Reinhart is going to be a good player too. He may not be as good as Murray but it's too early to just piss an entire year of prospects away. There's trying to do drastic things for your club at the draft and just plain stupid.

As for the Hockey Hall of Fame, Lemieux is just as much a shoe in as Sakic and Shannahan. 4 cups, a Conn Smyth, 9th on the cup scoring all-time, + scored so many clutch goals. Roenick will probably get in too 1300+ games, 500+ goals, 1200+ pts. As much as I'd like to see Gelinas get in, I don't think he will. 1 cup and practically another doesn't seem like enough.
    Speaking of the Isles, they are apparently making a play for Bobby Ryan. Maybe they should have thrown that "every pick we have" package at Anaheim for him.

Lemieux should be there, but as a Detroit fan, fuck him. He was a good even great player, but I can't picture anything in his career without first thinking of him running Draper into the stanchion, actually running him into it not what Chara did to Pac that Montreal got so inflamed about, and then getting his face smashed into the ice by McCarty.

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 04:51 PM ----------

Nashville not re-signing Tootoo. Hawks, Blues, Wings, CBJ fans rejoice; won't have to hear that annoying whistle anymore six times per year.

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 02:45 PM ----------

The Islanders have spoken to the Ducks about Bobby Ryan. Now would be a good time to offer all of their 2013 draft picks.

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 02:47 PM ----------

Interest in Hjalmarsson picking up by Oilers and Senators.
    See, this is why I should read posts before mine. I went and made the same joke about the Isles and you beat me to it by like two hours.

The Oilers damn well should be interested in Hjalmarsson. They need defense badly and even he is a massive upgrade over what they have now. That frees up some room for you guys to bring in Lou.

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 04:54 PM ----------

Ondrej Pavelec signed 5 years $3.9m per with the Jets.

---------- Post added 2012-06-25 at 04:58 PM ----------

RFA Compensations for this offseason:
    $1,110,249 or below - No Compensation
    Over $1,110,249 to $1,682,194 - 3rd round pick
    Over $1,682,194 to $3,364,391 - 2nd round pick
    Over $3,364,391 to $5,046,585 - 1st round pick, 3rd
    Over $5,046,585 to $6,728,781 - 1st round pick, 2nd, 3rd
    Over $6,728,781 To $8,410,976 - Two 1st Round Picks, 2nd, 3rd
    Over $8,410,976 - Four 1st Round Picks

Pointless since no one is going to offer sheet anyone, but thats what the numbers are for us to completely rip apart GM X for not offer sheeting Player Y.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scott Gomez is in Chicago too. lol.