Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Heard on TSN today that Justin Shultz perhaps wants to play in Canada. Oilers and Canucks are the frontrunners right now with Ottawa and Toronto on his list too. He'll likely end up in one of the first 2 cities if he does sign with a Canadian team, otherwise they were saying the Rangers are a strong destination spot.
    With Schenn gone, odds are he goes to Toronto and plays alongside his buddy Jake Gardiner. Odds are Burke puts Komisarek and Franson on waivers, Gardiner and Schultz crack the roster at camp and they power the first two pairings. Everything I have heard about Schultz is that he has been a great two way player in college and that he can move the puck well with good foot speed. I think he is going to be in tough trying to crack a roster with men where he is going to be expected to play against bigger guys so he is working on his strength and size in hopes that he can make the NHL. The Leafs would have a very powerful back end for puck carriers and toughness to boot.

Phaneuf - Gardiner
    Gunnarsson - Schultz
    Holzer - Liles

Good god that would be scary, three puck movers and 3 big body defenders who can hit and all have rockets of a slap shot. Holzer and Gardiner are pretty close to NHL ready, at least our blue line wouldn't be a complete defensive liability with no ability to score.

15+ Year Old Account
    Edmonton and Ottawa are believed to top Schultz's list with Edmonton as the heavy favorite thanks to sales pitches from Gretzky and Coffey. Dirty pool right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Apparently Gillis has finally comes to an agreement with Schneider. Terms haven't been released, but I'm guessing it's gonna be 6+ years for 5M a cap hit.

---------- Post added 2012-06-29 at 05:22 AM ----------

According to TSN it's 12M over 3 years... What's this? A reasonable contract? Gasp.
    Yea I like it. It's a 1.3M cap hit difference from Luongo, which will provide some nice leeway in getting a good role player or extra cash for a big name guy.

Looks like Lu's on his way out. Now to see where he goes and for what...
    I remember it all too well

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Edmonton and Ottawa are believed to top Schultz's list with Edmonton as the heavy favorite thanks to sales pitches from Gretzky and Coffey. Dirty pool right there.
    Depends on how much he is asking and how much they are willing to pony up in terms of dollar and term. The problem is that Edmonton isn't in the position to start handing out high dollar contracts to anyone until they get their forwards signed and a couple of them are coming off their rookie contracts.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    He's only entitled to a entry fee contract, so it's only a sub 1 mil contract. With bonus' he can get up to 3.7 but I don't think that effects cap hit. Also was reported Taylor Hall went to go see him with the GM / Coach. TSN said it was Edmonton and Vancouver in the front running but who really knows. I think he'll end up in Edmonton or New York Rangers to be honest.

10+ Year Old Account
    My guess is Edmonton, just because he'll be a number 1/2 d-man. Thus come 3 years when his contract is up and he can make the big bucks.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Poor reporters have to spend all day waiting on the Schultz announcement and then have to work through the entire night as free agency kicks off at midnight. If it ends up being an incredibly dull evening in the NHL and NBA I am going to be very sad.

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 08:35 AM ----------

My guess is Edmonton, just because he'll be a number 1/2 d-man. Thus come 3 years when his contract is up and he can make the big bucks.
    Ya I would put money on Edmonton also.. They money and length is going to be the same anywhere, but Edmonton is basically the only situation where he is essentially guaranteed the most playing time as a top pair defenseman.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Poor reporters have to spend all day waiting on the Schultz announcement and then have to work through the entire night as free agency kicks off at midnight. If it ends up being an incredibly dull evening in the NHL and NBA I am going to be very sad.

---------- Post added 2012-06-30 at 08:35 AM ----------

Ya I would put money on Edmonton also.. They money and length is going to be the same anywhere, but Edmonton is basically the only situation where he is essentially guaranteed the most playing time as a top pair defenseman.
    No coach is going to give an unproven player 28 minutes a night on the blue line in his first season in the NHL, even in Edmonton. That's a good way of ruining quality talent early on.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2012-06-30 at 02:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    No coach is going to give an unproven player 28 minutes a night on the blue line in his first season in the NHL, even in Edmonton. That's a good way of ruining quality talent early on.
    Considering their quality of defensmen in EDM, I'm sure Schultz can beat out the other Schultz.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-06-30 at 02:53 PM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Considering their quality of defensmen in EDM, I'm sure Schultz can beat out the other Schultz.
    Ya... the Oilers' D is pretty damn bad. That being said, while he may be top-4 material for any of the teams he's trying to sign on, he's no walk-on Norris candidate. Guy will be lucky to be getting 20+ minutes a night for the first while.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    Ya... the Oilers' D is pretty damn bad. That being said, while he may be top-4 material for any of the teams he's trying to sign on, he's no walk-on Norris candidate. Guy will be lucky to be getting 20+ minutes a night for the first while.
    At first yes, but if he can prove himself, EDM is the easiest place to become a top d-man. I see him put on the top pair with Whitney probably half way through the season.

10+ Year Old Account
    unproven player being highly coveted, sound familiar.. anyone hear of fabian brunnstrom?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Shultz signs with Edmonton, not surprised at all. Huge leap in the right direction for the Oilers, hopefully he's not a bust.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2012-06-30 at 09:26 PM.

Tomorrow is free agency can't wait to see what happens to two of the best goalies in the NHL.. Luongo and Brodeur.

SChultz is going to be a nice look in Oil town and I can see Ryan Suter getting signed by Ottawa, he'd be a nice combination with karlsson.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Suter is not going to sign in Ottawlawl, especially if they think they have a chance at Parise. To be honest though I'd think they would be better suited with going after Suter over Parise, they need better D right now.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    If Parise comes to Canada, I think he'll end up going to Toronto. No where else really has a shot of landing him imo.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see Burke signing him when we just got JVR. We don't need another left winger and unless JVR can play centre (which his player profile lists him as left wing) or Parise can be a centre, it would be a waste of money when you have Lupul coming off one of his best seasons last year.

That said, if you moved Lupul down to the second line, to play with Grabs and Kulemin, having Parise - JVR - Kessel as your first line might scare the shit fuck out of people because that's a lot of talent. The Leafs put Colby Armstrong on conditional waivers and bought out the last year of his contract today, which is a shame because he is a great character guy but injuries the last 2 seasons have made him a financial liability.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I had forgot Toronto got JVR. Even so, I'd assume Burke is trying to swindle a deal as always. I doubt any other Canadian team will be in the mix for him, not sure where he'll end up. Nash and the Flyers are talking, they totally need another offensive player!

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Flyers are going to have zero future if they start giving up picks for Nash. And Parise would be nuts to take less money to stay in NJ, especially if Brodeur gets picked up by another team. I think the Leafs need to unload some salary if they want to get Parise, but I wouldn't say no to Burke signing Brodeur at 1 or 2 years. They need to get rid of Connolly and Komisarek, those two contracts alone are eating up 9.25 million on the salary cap and Crabb needs a contract extension, same goes for Franson, and Gunnarsson has 1 season left on his deal and no doubt he will see a salary of 3.75-4 million a year going into 2013-2014. If Burke decides to spend money on players, he needs to be looking at getting another quality defender and a centre. If he got Suter and Semin, that would be a good day for me.

I guess we shall see what happens though, free agency starts in an hour.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2012-07-01 at 03:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i don't think Toronto will land anything large. i say the Pens or Kings are gonna be big players