10+ Year Old Account
    doesn't seem right with out Stevie Y.. but he got Tampa to deal with

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kabookiejoez View Post
    doesn't seem right with out Stevie Y.. but he got Tampa to deal with
    doesnt seem right without lids either...

---------- Post added 2012-07-11 at 02:33 PM ----------

is it just me or is it going to be annoying how many fans will predict the red wings demise now that we have lost stuart and lids? seriously...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure Detroit will be fine, we just need someone. Someone to replace Bert on the top line would be fantastic (Ryan, Semin, Nash.) and a top 4 D-man(Weber, J-Bo, Yandle.)
    Hopefully the injury bug will fuck off as well so Howard can play 65+ games and Dats plays a full season.

As for losing Stuart, he's getting old and his play is going down. Quincey will do better in the second pair.

Kronwall - White
    Quincey - Kindl/Smith
    Ericsson - Kindl/Smith

Is still a very solid defensive line-up.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-07-11 at 07:05 PM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I'm sure Detroit will be fine, we just need someone. Someone to replace Bert on the top line would be fantastic (Ryan, Semin, Nash.) and a top 4 D-man(Weber, J-Bo, Yandle.)
    Hopefully the injury bug will fuck off as well so Howard can play 65+ games and Dats plays a full season.

As for losing Stuart, he's getting old and his play is going down. Quincey will do better in the second pair.
    oh i know, its just that fans have been predicting the wings downfall for 10+ years now...you think they would learn...
    Yzerman is leaving...Detroit is boned...
    Lidstrom is leaving...Detroit is boned...
    the Wings are old and tired...Detroit is boned...
    the Salary Cap is being implemented...Detroit is boned...

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Speaking of Detroit... I noticed this today.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Note how Holmstrom is not on this list anymore.
    red panda red panda red panda!

10+ Year Old Account
    He's currently a Free Agent, thus wouldn't be on the team. I also doubt he comes back and would rather his spot be given up to Nyqvist.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    So JVR was introduced to the Leafs media today, it is confirmed that he will be playing centre, which means that Connolly is out of a job (hopefully) because Bozak makes a far superior 3rd liner at half the salary.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually heard on the radio last week, they were talking to some lady from the Detroit Free Press and she was talking about what the Wings were going to do. Made it sound like they might be prepared to go forward with the defense setup they have right now. They're very high on Brendan Smith being able to crack the top 4. Since it was a Calgary radio station they obviously asked what she thought about a possible deal between the two teams (Bouwmeester) and it seemed like the Flames asking price is a bit high. She mentioned Filpulla's name, which I doubt would ever happen. So sadly, we won't be able to dump the leagues current Iron Man on Detroit unless they randomly change their mind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Actually heard on the radio last week, they were talking to some lady from the Detroit Free Press and she was talking about what the Wings were going to do. Made it sound like they might be prepared to go forward with the defense setup they have right now. They're very high on Brendan Smith being able to crack the top 4. Since it was a Calgary radio station they obviously asked what she thought about a possible deal between the two teams (Bouwmeester) and it seemed like the Flames asking price is a bit high. She mentioned Filpulla's name, which I doubt would ever happen. So sadly, we won't be able to dump the leagues current Iron Man on Detroit unless they randomly change their mind.
    Filp is one guy the team is really against trading. They have had really enticing offers from teams over the last few years for various guys but refused to give up Filps. I don't hate the current Wings defensive unit at all. Sure it could be improved by adding another top line quality guy, but you need to find out if your guys are good enough to be your guys and if not now, then when? Sometimes I get sick to death of the Wings stashing away every good prospect they have for 3-4 years so lets see what these young kids can do. Kindl isn't bad at all and is going to be a more than serviceable third pair guy. Smith is a blue chip prospect who has shown he is great. We just gave up a first round pick for Qunicey who is pretty good. White and Kronwall are both top pair defenseman for every other team in the NHL. Ericsson needs to improve but he is far from bad. It could be because I see them constantly during the year, but man I don't think the Wings defense is thin or weak at all. Is it think compared to a lineup that featured arguably the best defenseman ever from last year, sure, but it isn't like the Wings suddenly devolve into Columbus, Florida, etc. on defense without TPH or Stuart who the Wings weren't trying at all to bring back.

I might kill something if the Wings trade for JayBo. The dude needs a change of scenery (like everyone in Calgary) and is probably far from awful, but I don't want that $6.7 million contract on the books next offseason when Weber or other guys are going to be on the market.

He's currently a Free Agent, thus wouldn't be on the team. I also doubt he comes back and would rather his spot be given up to Nyqvist.
    Ya there is no way he comes back without Lidstrom. Watching NHL36 and other behind the scenes looks at the team, Homer and Nick were like brothers. They did everything together. Drove to the facility or airport together, worked out, went to dinner after practice. And they did that like every single day. At his age, and with his horrible production which is the biggest reason I want him gone, that is got to be a hard adjustment when your bro of bros for over a decade is gone.

There is one player I would volunteer Filps and Franzen in trades for, Shea Weber. Frankly I'd rather the Wings offer sheet him at 1 year $7.8 million and risk losing picks than deal either of them though.

Speaking of the Wings, I'm not sure if I am happy or concerned that Abs is still an RFA. I like Abs, but I am sick to death of him taking bad penalties. Tootoo basically fills his exact role, probably at a cheaper price, and showed more offensive upside last year than Abs has shown since he was at Michigan State and playing for the Griffins. I'd rather see him gone than brought back really. I'd rather see Brunner, Mursak, and Nyquist get more playing time. Hopefully we can see if Brun is a legit top line player like Babs seems to think he is.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-07-12 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Ken Holland is holding his press conference to announce the alumni game line ups for the Winter Classic. Apparently the Leafs and Wings have so many good alumni and guys interested in playing in the game that there are going to be two alumni games this year. Right now, McCarty, Draper, Kocur, and Maltby will all be playing on a line for Detroit. Dino was at the presser along with Lindsay and Alex Delvecchio were also at the presser for the Wings. Wendel Clark, Jim McKenny, and Kevin Maguire were there for the Leafs. Oh ya and Scotty is going to coach the alumni team.

---------- Post added 2012-07-11 at 01:28 PM ----------

The announced alumni for the Maple Leafs include: Darryl Sittler, Rick Vaive, Wendel Clark, Doug Gilmour, Dave Andreychuk, Darcy Tucker, Kevin Maguire, Mike Palmateer, Curtis Joseph and Felix Potvin.

The announced alumni for the Red Wings, coached by Scotty Bowman: Gordie Howe (yep ... perhaps in a ceremonial role), Mickey Redmond, John Ogrodnick, Luc Robitaille, Dino Ciccarelli, Chris Chelios, Darren McCarty, Joey Kocur, Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Ted Lindsay, Alex Delvecchio, Mark Howe, Larry Murphy.
    Didn't see it mentioned, but apparently there are going to be two alumni games. I guess they're expecting much heavier rosters. Some updates as well. Never really been too interested in the alumni game, but will probably watch at least one this year. They were making fun of Kevin Maquire pretty much all day on our radio channel.

Members of the Toronto Maple Leafs alumni whose participation is confirmed include Darryl Sittler, Rick Vaive, Darcy Tucker, Felix Potvin, Mike Palmateer, Kevin Maguire, Dave Andreychuk, Doug Gilmour, Wendel Clark, Curtis Joseph, Johnny Bower, Ron Ellis and Jim McKenny.

Members of the Red Wings alumni who will participate include Mickey Redmond, John Ogrodnick, Luc Robitaille, Dino Ciccarelli, Chris Chelios, Larry Murphy, Mark Howe, Kris Draper, Kirk Maltby, Darren McCarty, Joey Kocur, Chris Osgood, Mike Vernon, Gordie Howe, Ted Lindsay and Alex Delvecchio.

Some big names from both teams were notable by their absence: Leaf captains Mats Sundin and Dave Keon, as well as Wings captains Steve Yzerman and Nicklas Lidstrom.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/...o-alumni-games

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sundin and Yzerman can't skate anymore, that's why both of them retired. Even just for a game of shimmy, it would probably be more strain then they could handle. Seriously though, those alumni players are some of the best to grace the game, and both goaltending tandems would be great in their prime.

I'm really not sure how Tucker qualifies as alumni when:

A) He was never really very good
    B) We're STILL FUCKING PAYING THAT ASSHOLE (I'm upset).

10+ Year Old Account
    Teemu Selanne has signed a 1 year deal with the Ducks. The 80s still haven't retired.

---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 07:41 PM ----------

Bernier also wants out of LA, as he doesn't want to be a back-up. Toronto is apparently the most probable destination.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Teemu Selanne has signed a 1 year deal with the Ducks. The 80s still haven't retired.

---------- Post added 2012-07-12 at 07:41 PM ----------

Bernier also wants out of LA, as he doesn't want to be a back-up. Toronto is apparently the most probable destination.
    He might be a backup in Toronto, depends on how Reimer plays this year. I think Burke should pull the trigger and make a trade, I know he isn't really all that proven but it's worth it if the trade is right.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    He might be a backup in Toronto, depends on how Reimer plays this year. I think Burke should pull the trigger and make a trade, I know he isn't really all that proven but it's worth it if the trade is right.
    Toronto needs to shit or get off the pot on Luongo and try and lock down their future in net with either him, Reimer, Bernier, or god knows who. I still think they should have went after Lindback when he was being shopped if they aren't going to go after Lou. Something. Anything. The Leafs haven't gotten appreciably better this offseason at all. All their holes that killed them last year still exist. They make roughly a trillion dollars each year and haven't seriously chased a big name free agent in god knows how long. The Leafs piss me off man. I want them to be good or at least relevant again and year after year they just piss it all away, rake in their cash, and shrug their shoulders.

I think part of the problem is that Toronto has become increasingly hostile as far as a market place for players. Like the Red Sox, even when doing well, anything short of a championship is going to be criticized to the end of time. Fans have become pretty relentless in the last 2-3 years (understandably so), to the point that I personally would not want to play here given a choice.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    I think part of the problem is that Toronto has become increasingly hostile as far as a market place for players. Like the Red Sox, even when doing well, anything short of a championship is going to be criticized to the end of time. Fans have become pretty relentless in the last 2-3 years (understandably so), to the point that I personally would not want to play here given a choice.
    That applies to most major markets though. Take the Rangers. They are torn apart constantly for not winning a Cup since 1994 yet they are always adding big free agents or big trade pieces like Richards, Gaborik, etc. Most of the time it seems like Toronto isn't even trying. Part of that is Burke's complete unwillingness to dish out or take on any of the cap circumvention deals. Bless his heart for sticking to the rules, but when 20 other GMs are skirting the rules it makes it tough/impossible to compete. I imagine any big name UFA they do talk to probably isn't to open to taking $6-7 million per year in real cash every single year of the deal when they can do what Parise and Suter just did and get $25+ million over the 366 days and then just retire before the money actually drops off on their deals.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Toronto needs to shit or get off the pot on Luongo and try and lock down their future in net with either him, Reimer, Bernier, or god knows who. I still think they should have went after Lindback when he was being shopped if they aren't going to go after Lou. Something. Anything. The Leafs haven't gotten appreciably better this offseason at all. All their holes that killed them last year still exist. They make roughly a trillion dollars each year and haven't seriously chased a big name free agent in god knows how long. The Leafs piss me off man. I want them to be good or at least relevant again and year after year they just piss it all away, rake in their cash, and shrug their shoulders.
    Lol! You think you're pissed? Try living here. I'm finding it harder and harder to support the team. Brian Burke is either a moron or a greedy s.o.b. I guess he figures he'll sell out 82 games no problem even if his team sucks. There doesn't seem to be any desire for them to grab top players when they become available. They seem to recruit young guys and get rid of them when they start getting good.

But there is a glaring difference between Canadian markets and American markets. Most New Yorkers probably couldn't give two shits that the Rangers haven't won in 20 years. They have the Yankees and Giants who have been tearing it up pretty hard in recent times (Yankees not as much, but still). Toronto has the Raptors and Blue Jays... two teams that most people in this city care very little about. Even a team like the Bruins, where they JUST won a cup a year ago are a fourth-rate team. I'm not sure about all American teams in the league, but I'd be willing to bet that most people living in those cities prefer some other sport (or another team in the NHL, as is often the case in many of the southern states).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    But there is a glaring difference between Canadian markets and American markets. Most New Yorkers probably couldn't give two shits that the Rangers haven't won in 20 years. They have the Yankees and Giants who have been tearing it up pretty hard in recent times (Yankees not as much, but still). Toronto has the Raptors and Blue Jays... two teams that most people in this city care very little about. Even a team like the Bruins, where they JUST won a cup a year ago are a fourth-rate team. I'm not sure about all American teams in the league, but I'd be willing to bet that most people living in those cities prefer some other sport (or another team in the NHL, as is often the case in many of the southern states).
    And they took away Canadian teams to introduce these American teams that nobody cares about. Go figure. Money is the name of the game, not quality.