10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    To be good, you really need to have more than one good season.
    unless ur crosby...

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    A lot of good players sucked in Toronto. Remember Toskala?
    Also Havlat traded for Heatley. Wild definitely got the better end of the deal.
    And why do you think the Wild got the better end of the deal? Heatley isn't as good as some people seem to think. He slacks off at times and it shows on the ice. I guarantee you if Havlat can stay healthy this year he will put up way better numbers than Heatley.

Pick him up in your hockey pools next year. He is going to light it up.
    Last edited by KCguy; 2011-07-04 at 06:22 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    And why do you think the Wild got the better end of the deal? Heatley isn't as good as some people seem to think. He slacks off at times and it shows on the ice. I guarantee you if Havlat can stay healthy this year he will put up way better numbers than Heatley.

Pick him up in your hockey pools next year. He is going to light it up.
    Havlat's numbers haven't come close to Heatleys. If Heatley can get back on his game, he can be a 50 goal scorer, Havlat, probably won't. There's a reason when these 2 played together, that Heatley was on the top line, while Havlat on the second.

---------- Post added 2011-07-04 at 09:38 AM ----------

To be good, you really need to have more than one good season.
    Actually he had 3 good seasons and 1 great season, and then he wanted to become a number goalie full time so they sent him to Toronto. Which basically killed his career.
    Last edited by Irony; 2011-07-04 at 09:46 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    As much as I don't like the Flyers, I'm kind of intrigued with the new direction the GM is taking them.

Also hoping that the Panthers get somewhere this year.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    unless ur crosby...
    Are you saying that Crosby has had only one good season?

Actually he had 3 good seasons and 1 great season, and then he wanted to become a number goalie full time so they sent him to Toronto. Which basically killed his career.
    IMO, you can't compare playing as a backup with a team full of constant conference final contenders to playing as a starter with a team that's just starting to build up. Almost any single goalie in the NHL could have had a good season as San Jose's backup.

I agree with you about Heatley > Havlat though.
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration
    unless ur crosby...
    lol

Are you just being childish, do you enjoy hating on people who other people hate on for stupid reasons, or do you not actually watch hockey?
    ---
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera
    As much as I don't like the Flyers, I'm kind of intrigued with the new direction the GM is taking them.
    I think they'll still make the playoffs, but I thought they could have done much, much better.

---
    With Vokoun heading to Washington, it might finally be their year.

10+ Year Old Account
    IMO, you can't compare playing as a backup with a team full of constant conference final contenders to playing as a starter with a team that's just starting to build up. Almost any single goalie in the NHL could have had a good season as San Jose's backup.

I agree with you about Heatley > Havlat though.
    ---
    He had 1 good season as a backup, 2 where he split the time, and 1 where he was the starter.
    Toronto had a very poor and young defense for the 3 seasons he played. He would of definitely been a very solid starter for any team wanting a "budget" goalie, who won't win you that many games, but he won't cost you either.

---------- Post added 2011-07-04 at 08:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Also hoping that the Panthers get somewhere this year.
    If Jose can be as good as he has been, they could land anywhere from 7th-10th in the East. The Panthers are a lot like the Preds, they need their goalie to good, because of their lacking offense. Wouldn't be surprised if a D-man lead them in points.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Epuration View Post
    unless ur crosby...
    I'm assuming that is a joke or else you are insane. Crosby is a 1.4 ppg player in his career, which is insane. He has seasons of 120, 109, 103, 102, and 66 points in 41 games. Best player in the NHL by far.

Love the Heater for Havlat trade. Minnesota gets a solid player with superstar potential. San Jose gets a very solid player and gets rid of a guy who was a disappointment. Not to mention a fairly significant amount of money off their payroll. Heater is by far the player with higher potential, but he needs to deliver on that potential which has hasn't done recently. Like Irony said, Heater can be a 50 goal scorer. Havlat would be lucky to crack 25 although he is going to see a bump if he is playing with Thornton who is a phenomenal set up guy.

---------- Post added 2011-07-04 at 09:48 PM ----------

With Vokoun heading to Washington, it might finally be their year.
    I doubt that very much. Goaltending wasn't their problem and hasn't been in awhile. The thing that kills the Caps is their inability to deliver offensively in the clutch and their occasionally lolbad defense. Season after season Washington has these trumped up offensive stars that then completely evaporate in the playoffs. Semin, Backstrom, Green, and on and on. If those players, along with the addition of Ward, actually show up for the playoffs to support Ovie then maybe Washington stands a chance. I wouldn't bet on it though.

---------- Post added 2011-07-04 at 09:53 PM ----------

If Jose can be as good as he has been, they could land anywhere from 7th-10th in the East. The Panthers are a lot like the Preds, they need their goalie to good, because of their lacking offense. Wouldn't be surprised if a D-man lead them in points.
    Florida's offensive stats are incredibly laughable. With their many additions I expect they will be better and won't be led by a guy with 49 points next season. I would be willing to bet Weiss will be the point leader again with ~60 points. I love how Florida added a ton of guys and still barely cleared the cap floor. By the time the season rolls around they will be a bottom 3-4 salary team like always. I really don't see them escaping the basement of the East unless they overperform like crazy.

---------- Post added 2011-07-04 at 09:55 PM ----------

Also Brian Campbell makes more then their other five defenseman COMBINED and that is with Jovo making $4.125 million lol. So they have a decent top pair and then AHL level defenders in their other spots.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't Panthers are done signing players, still some talent on the market, all they're really lacking is 5 top 6 forwards >.>; Other than that they're very solid!

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't Panthers are done signing players, still some talent on the market, all they're really lacking is 5 top 6 forwards >.>; Other than that they're very solid!
    Well Tallon said they were done so...

Their Top 6 forwards actually aren't "terrible" now. Their bottom 4 Defense is just atrocious. Combined, their bottom 4 D have 135 points in 750 games. Of those 750 games, the vast majority are held by Mike Weaver(421). Their bottom four are either incredibly inexperienced or just plain terribad.

Their top 6 could almost be decent. Fleishmann, Booth, Upshall, Weiss, Bergenheim, Versteeg and Kopecky aren't a terrible top 6. Sure every single one of those guys is at best a second line player on the top tier teams in the NHL. Weiss might be the only one who has top line potential if he played a Wing, but I don't think he would be a top line center on any team that isn't the Panthers lol.

Moral of the story is that the Wings should trade Hudler for Weiss lol. They don't actually get the salary relief that would be looking for in dumping Hudler, but at least they would get a solid second line Center so Hank and Dats could play together. Or they could dump Hudler on one of the 7 or so teams under the salary floor for a 2nd-6th round pick and then sign Drury to be the second line center.

Moral of the story is Florida is going to be lolbad again. They want to bring fans in so they stop losing money, but they won't spend money to have a good team because it exacerbates their losses, but they can't stop losing money because fans won't come to see a bad team that hasn't been relevant since their second year of existence because the owner won't spend money to make a solid roster because they keep losing money and so on and on lol.

God looking at the teams below the cap floor is kind of depressing. Nashville is way under the floor although they should be fine when they sign their RFAs which it is hilarious that they haven't yet. GMs and owners should stop being little bitches and start using their RFA offer sheet abilities. Colorado is way under which isn't a surprise. Who remembers when that franchise was one of the best in the NHL? They had super star talent, won Cups, brought in big name free agents. Now they don't spend any money at all and are freaking terrible. The Islanders are where they always are. Bottom of the salary charts, bottom of the standings. If the voters approve their new stadium deal I expect they would open their books next season, but I don't think anyone thinks that the voters are going to approve that new stadium deal which is why they aren't spending crap because they know no one is going to come to games at Nassaeu regardless of the potential promise on that team. The Yotes aren't going to spend much above the cap floor at all since they are league owned. It is sort of amazing that that team can lose THIRTY SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS last year even though they barely spent more than that on salaries. How awful is their stadium rent deal and how much do they pay their vendors lol. I am surprised Winnipeg hasn't been splashier although I guess they don't have to be since all of their seats are sold lol.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna be hard for the Panthers to compete in the East. The teams you could probably scratch off being contenders this year in the East are going to be the New York Islanders, Winnipeg, Ottawa and New Jersey. I can't see the Devils being any better then they were last year since they have not made any roster changes (probably can't due to salary cap issues) that are of vital importance to them becoming a contender. Sure, they have Brodeur but even he can't carry a team that terrible and force a horribly overpaid guy to do his fucking job. The Senators haven't made enough changes to keep them competitive, and one of their best players in Alfredsson is a big question mark health wise now after he screwed up his back last season. They don't have a lot of depth all around either, and another question mark in the Filatov deal, he could either be their shining star or even more of a let down. The Islanders despite having cap space did not make any moves, need a starting goalie who is actually good and I am surprised they weren't the ones to acquire Vokun or Varlamov, though I think Emery is still available and that would be a great place for him to pickup his NHL career properly.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Gonna be hard for the Panthers to compete in the East. The teams you could probably scratch off being contenders this year in the East are going to be the New York Islanders, Winnipeg, Ottawa and New Jersey. I can't see the Devils being any better then they were last year since they have not made any roster changes (probably can't due to salary cap issues) that are of vital importance to them becoming a contender. Sure, they have Brodeur but even he can't carry a team that terrible and force a horribly overpaid guy to do his fucking job. The Senators haven't made enough changes to keep them competitive, and one of their best players in Alfredsson is a big question mark health wise now after he screwed up his back last season. They don't have a lot of depth all around either, and another question mark in the Filatov deal, he could either be their shining star or even more of a let down. The Islanders despite having cap space did not make any moves, need a starting goalie who is actually good and I am surprised they weren't the ones to acquire Vokun or Varlamov, though I think Emery is still available and that would be a great place for him to pickup his NHL career properly.
    Ya I definitely agree that those four will be 11-15 in the East in some order. The Sens are just bad. Filatov was a great pick up for what they gave up. That guy has more potential than pretty much anyone they could have gotten in that slot. They are a team in rebuild mode that has done zero actual rebuilding. Their only significant free agent signings in the last couple seasons was a D-man who is pushing 40 that they gave a huge contract to. That doesn't help the team in the future and it doesn't help them now because they are fucking terrible so why even make that signing? I think the only person they even added so far this offseason was Auld who they brought back to be the back up goalie. For a team that must make a boatload of money each season, you would think they would be bigger spenders to improve the team.

The Devils could be a playoff team next year. They were freaking great over the last half of last year, but they had dug themselves in such a whole before they fired the coach that they couldn't recover. Who knows how they will play though. They still haven't addressed the Parise issue. They have about $8 million to sign Parise, another D, and another forward. Parise is going to take up the bulk of that money for sure.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some people think Toronto should offer sheet Parise since New Jersey couldn't really match it, but is he worth the price it would take to get him on an offer sheet? A guy who is coming off an injury season but can be an 80-90 point player makes it a toss up whether or not he is worth what it would take. I'd personally wait to see if the Devils sign anyone else before they sign Parise, then offer sheet him for over their remaining salary cap. Theoretically if the Leafs wanted to, they could offer sheet Stamkos and Parise but they don't have 4 years worth of first round picks two times over.

15+ Year Old Account
    Some people think Toronto should offer sheet Parise since New Jersey couldn't really match it, but is he worth the price it would take to get him on an offer sheet? A guy who is coming off an injury season but can be an 80-90 point player makes it a toss up whether or not he is worth what it would take. I'd personally wait to see if the Devils sign anyone else before they sign Parise, then offer sheet him for over their remaining salary cap. Theoretically if the Leafs wanted to, they could offer sheet Stamkos and Parise but they don't have 4 years worth of first round picks two times over.
    I can't remember if this is true or not, but I believe the Devils are going to arbitration with Parise which would protect him from offer sheets, similar to Shea Webber in Nashville. I don't know when this protection ends, if it is one the arbitration case is heard and a judgment is rendered which may or may not lock Parise into the Devils for a few more years. If the protection does drop though the Leafs or someone absolutely should offer sheet the guy. I doubt he would be in the top tier that requires 4 first round picks. More than likely he would fall into the second pay range which would require two firsts, a second, and a third. That seems pretty damn worth it in my opinion for a guy who is as talented as Parise.

RFA compensation chart:

• $1,034,249 annual cap hit or less: No compensation
    • $1,034,249 — $1,567,043: Third-round pick
    • $1,567,043 — $3,134,088: Second-round pick
    • $3,134,088 — $4,701,131: First and third-round pick
    • $4,701,131 — $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick
    • $6,268,175 — $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third
    • $7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks
    The only guy on the market who falls into the last category would be Stamkos so it is borderline understandable to not offer sheet him, but I really fail to see the downside of offer sheeting Drew Doughty or Parise. They would fall in the second category most likely and would be well worth the cost, especially if you are a competetive team. Doughty was what a 2nd overall selection? Getting him by giving up the 26th-30th pick in two years, a second, a third seems like it would be pretty damn worthwhile if you were a team like the Red Wings. But no, GMs would rather be good buddies and take incredibly stupid and overpriced contracts off each others hands so their laughable franchises can hit the salary floor instead of trying to competitively improve by pissing someone off and forcing them to pay a guy.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would think that a 90 point guy like Parise could fetch that 6 million dollar salary easily, if not 7. Forwards generally make more then defencemen do, Doughty could get 5 though because he is a complete player in his position, I know Chara makes 7 but his contract is way overpriced even if he is an elite blue liner.

15+ Year Old Account
    Speaking of Colorado, and yes I realize no one was talking about the Avs but I lacked an intro for this post, how about their GM Sherman? He made perhaps the stupidest move a GM has ever made this week. Varlamov for the Caps wanted out of Washington and was willing to go back to Russia and play in the KHL to do it. So what does Sherman do, he trades a first and a second round pick for Varly. He then signs Varly to a $2.833 million/year deal. Had he simply given Varly an offer sheet, as he was a UFA Washington had no interest in bringing back, he only would have had to give the Caps a 2nd round pick. Instead, he trades for him and essentially gives the Caps a top 5 pick FOR FREE. That is hands down the stupidest thing I have ever seen a GM do in pro sports sine Joe Dumars drafter Darko Milicic over Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh or since Dumars traded fan-favorite, heart of a championship team Chauncey Billups for "we're talkin bout practice" Allen Iverson.

---------- Post added 2011-07-05 at 01:07 PM ----------

I would think that a 90 point guy like Parise could fetch that 6 million dollar salary easily, if not 7. Forwards generally make more then defencemen do, Doughty could get 5 though because he is a complete player in his position, I know Chara makes 7 but his contract is way overpriced even if he is an elite blue liner.
    When the Kings finally get Doughty's contract done I would expect it to be long term in the $6 million area. Dude is already one of the Top 5 D-men in the NHL, imo. I expect they will lock him up for the foreseeable future which I'm sure he will be plenty happy about because that team is going to be freaking good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haha Conscript Mike Milbury would like a word with you
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ketzil View Post
    Haha Conscript Mike Milbury would like a word with you
    This inspired me to have a look back at Milbury's GM career and have a hearty chuckle at his "accomplishments":

13-Mar-96: New York Islanders traded Wendel Clark, Mathieu Schneider and D.J. Smith to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Darby Hendrickson, Sean Haggerty, Kenny Jonsson and 1st round selection (Roberto Luongo) in 1997.

25-Aug-97: New York Islanders traded Dan Lacouture to the Edmonton Oilers for Mariusz Czerkawski.

20-Mar-99: New York Islanders traded Tommy Salo to the Edmonton Oilers for Mats Lindgren and 8th round selection (Radek Martinek) in 1999.

19-Jun-99: New York Islanders traded Zigmund Palffy, Bryan Smolinski, Marcel Cousineau and 4th round selection (previously acquired from the New Jersey Devils - Daniel Johansson) in 1999 to the Los Angeles Kings for Olli Jokinen, Josh Green, Mathieu Biron and 1st round selection (Taylor Pyatt) in 1999.

19-Dec-99: New York Islanders traded Felix Potvin, a 2nd round selection (later traded to New Jersey - Teemu Laine) in 2000 and a 3rd round selection (Thatcher Bell) in 2000 to the Vancouver Canucks for Kevin Weekes, Bill Muckalt and Dave Scatchard.

24-Jun-00: New York Islanders traded Olli Jokien and Roberto Luongo to the Florida Panthers for Mark Parrish and Oleg Kvasha.

24-Jun-00: New York Islanders traded Eric Brewer, Josh Green and 2nd round selection (Brad Winchester) in 2000 to the Edmonton Oilers for Roman Hamrlik.
    24-Jun-00: New York Islanders traded Kevin Weekes, the rights of Kristian Kudroc and a 2nd round selection (later traded to Phoenix - Matthew Spiller) in 2001 to the Tampa Bay Lightning for a 1st round selection (Raffi Torres) in 2000, 4th round selection (previously acquired - Vladimir Gorbunov) in 2000 and 7th round selection (previously acquired - Ryan Caldwell) in 2000.

03-Jan-01: Los Angeles Kings traded Jason Blake to the New York Islanders for a 5th round selection (Joel Andresen) in 2002.

22-Jun-01: New York Islanders traded Mathieu Biron and a 2nd round selection (later traded to Washington, later traded to Vancouver - Denis Grot) in 2002 to the Tampa Bay Lightning for Adrian Aucoin and Alexander Kharitonov.

23-Jun-01: Ottawa Senators traded Alexei Yashin to the New York Islanders for Zdeno Chara, Bill Muckalt and 1st round selection (Jason Spezza) in 2001.

24-Jun-01: Buffalo Sabres traded Michael Peca to the New York Islanders for Tim Connolly and Taylor Pyatt.

22-Jun-02: New York Islanders traded Mariusz Czerkawski to the Montreal Canadiens for Arron Asham and a 5th round selection (Markus Pahlsson) in 2002.

11-Mar-03: New York Islanders traded Chris Osgood and a 3rd round selection in 2003 to the St. Louis Blues for Justin Papineau and a 2nd round selection in 2003.

11-Mar-03: Edmonton Oilers traded Janne Niinimaa and a 2nd round selection in 2003 to the New York Islanders for Brad Isbister and Raffi Torres.

That is a pretty amazing history of ineptitude lol. Look at all the huge names on that list that he dealt away for has-beens, aging players, or nobodies. They are almost all very, very bad in retrospect, but giving away a first round pick for free is just beyond terrible. Look at some of the other RFA deals this offseason. Wisnewski's rights traded to the Jackets for a 5th. Had the Jackets offer sheeted him, the compensation would have been a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Same thing for Bryzgalov in Philly who gave up a third for his rights. Milbury's moves are all terrible in retrospect, and were mostly terrible at the time, but Sherman's move is just inexcusibly awful. Its like going to a gas station, buying a $1 bottle of pop, giving them a $100 bill and telling them to keep the change.

10+ Year Old Account
    Canes sign Kaberle to 3 years 4.25M a season.
    For only 4M they'll get their monies worth.
    Last edited by Irony; 2011-07-05 at 09:30 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So bruins basically get Corvo for Kaberle? I'll take that.
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.