10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    I agree, Stamkos for the Hart trophy as well. I think a lot of the hate for Crosby comes from his attitude and the fact that he's built up so much.
    I know that personally for me I dislike him because in my eyes he isn't a clean player. I've been to a few games with Crosby in. Sadly the "scattered reports" are true. He is always chatting with the officials after the whistle. If he had enough time in a TV timeout he would run and get them a coffee. Even now after his injury things have gotten worse. He gives cheap shots, slashes, and starts with other players but he doesn't want to take the beating that comes with it, now the officials protect him from it, and so does the NHL. John Tortorella had it right with a lot of stuff that he said. Sadly what it will likely come down to for good old Crosby is in this first round I could see Crosby being leveled out and that could be the last we hear from him. The Flyers aren't afraid to do what needs to be done to fix a league-wide problem. They will take the heat from the league but if it removes Crosby from the equation it will be worth it for them. I'd even go a step further and say that they would throw some of the heavy hits Malkins way, lately it feels like all of the "Crosby love" is now "Malkin love", from the NHL, from the officials, from the professional hockey writers (We will see in Vegas). Philly isn't nicknamed the Broadstreet Bullys for nothing, they like to fight, they like the throw their weight around. I don't want to see a player get hurt, and especially player(s) with skill like Crosby and Malkin, but sometimes when I watch them play it feels like it isn't a fair game, and that's worse than them being hurt, I love hockey and I don't want the game to change for them.

Fuzzzie I will agree with you on the fact that all sports do push their stars and the NHL has a few good stars to push. I just don't understand why they have gone to the extreme that they do with Crosby and the Pens. Ovi up until this year was a good star to push, Stamkos has been an excellent star to push because he has been mentored by one of the classiest and best players in the league Martin St. Louis. He is a gentlemen on and off the ice, he plays for his team, not himself, has become to leader to the team, loves the game, respects the game most importantly, and in the end takes care of his fans. (I am a Lightning fan so thats why I can go into detail, so yes a little bias but all that I stated is true). Hell he even takes care of fans for the away team. There is even a handful of good others that they could be pushing as well but in the end the don't. A good example of them pushing it even more is their twitter feed. It is spammed with Pens news. When Crosby was injured we constantly got updates and I never saw a "good" reply, most said "shut up about Crosby". When there was a video of a good goal, you better believe it was Malkin. The most I saw of Stamkos was his 60th and a few goals inbetween. If I wanted to see good goals for other teams I had to watch NHL tonight. Funny enough while doing some net search on different picks for the Hart trophy I came across a vid of EJ and Rosen making their picks for the Hart last September, Rosen picked Stamkos and gave all of the reasons I gave above and more. EJ picked Malkin and his big reason was because he was training to be in top physical condition (WTF!?).

In the end the Penguin/Crosby/Malkin hype makes me HATE the NHL upstairs, it makes me HATE the officials, and it makes me HATE the writers, and it makes me HATE the Penguins/Crosby/Malkin. So you know what for me seeing them knocked out, or seeing their players taken out (hopefully not badly injured, just enough to be done for the playoffs) would make my year because then maybe they could come back and not be the dirty players that I see when I go to a game (Won't see the stunts they pull on TV from my understanding the NHL has asked replays of stuff like that not to be shown, go figure). So I sit here hoping for the best a great series between the Pens/Flyers with the Flyers taking it in game 7. Hopefully in Vegas this year maybe Stamkos can get a little more than just the Rocket Richard trophy, but maybe the Hart as well, and maybe more who knows.

And since I'm in a long post already I'll make my picks.

NYR vs Ottawa in 6
    Boston vs Washington in 5
    NJD vs Florida Panthers in 4
    Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia in 7

LAK vs Canucks in 7
    St Louis vs San Jose in 6
    Phoenix vs Chicago in 7
    Detroit vs Nashville in 7

For the cup I'm thinking St Louis because they have been outstanding all year long and have had excellent goaltending with both of their goaltenders.

-Aerie

---------- Post added 2012-04-09 at 09:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    Tampa would be in the EXACT same spot they are right now without Stamkos. Out of the playoffs and a bottom ten team in the NHL. So what exactly did Stamkos add besides 60 goals and maybe, maybe 10 points to his teams record?
    Tampa would not be in the same spot, they would be worse than Columbus. He had 60 goals which is a extremely difficult feat in the modern NHL. He had almost 25% of the teams total goals, and 12 GWG. By that logic that would be around 24 points he added to the teams record because without him I'm not sure the team would be getting those goals at all!

Don't get me wrong, Quick has been monumental to his team but I'm not convinced that there wouldn't be another goaltender that could get them to the playoffs had he not been there. And besides the Hart is supposed to be based on who is the MVP for his team during the regular season, so In my eyes whether a team makes the playoffs or not is irrelevant unless it is the direct reason that a player is their teams MVP.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post
    <SNIP> ~ to condense things.
    To be fair, Crosby is a captain, and captains are often the first ones to go to the Ref. It's in the job description. As for evidence of him getting away with things that otherwise would be penalties, I can't argue there. If I was in his shoes and just off a massive concussion I would be taking it easy. I think players would respect that given his health concerns if he wasn't being dirty about it. I mean, they wouldn't go out of their way to check him hard if he didn't deserve it. But sadly, he's gone the route and people are after him.

That being said, I'm against a team intentionally taking out any player and putting him on the injury list. I think that's even lower. Incidental injury is par for the course, but intentionally hurting someone so they can't play is very cheap. It's a sport, not a big dick contest. Play within the bounds. This is a sport that allows nightly fistfights.. imagine a fistfight in the NBA or MLB? lol..

The Crosby update shit was too much. Everyone agrees with that. Not much more I can say..

I guess, in the end, hype is manufactured to sell ad time, its to get people to watch. Could they do a better job hyping different players or rivalries? absolutely.

10+ Year Old Account
    That being said, I'm against a team intentionally taking out any player and putting him on the injury list. I think that's even lower. Incidental injury is par for the course, but intentionally hurting someone so they can't play is very cheap.
    I'm with you on part of it. I don't agree 100% of a team doing it but Philly if there was any team to do it, they will do it. In most cases I wouldn't agree with Philly doing it, and I'm not saying I do, but they have done everything that have need to do to get them after them.

As far as Crosby going to the officials because he is a captain, sure I could buy that but damn do I have a hard time believing it would be any different if he wasn't the captain.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm with you on part of it. I don't agree 100% of a team doing it but Philly if there was any team to do it, they will do it. In most cases I wouldn't agree with Philly doing it, and I'm not saying I do, but they have done everything that have need to do to get them after them.

As far as Crosby going to the officials because he is a captain, sure I could buy that but damn do I have a hard time believing it would be any different if he wasn't the captain.
    Sure, Pitt/Philly is gonna be a sick series. I can't wait. I just hope that it's clean hits and they aren't going to really hurt someone.

If he wasn't captain, he might. I don't know. I'm sure he's been team captain since he was 8 years old.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, Pitt/Philly is gonna be a sick series. I can't wait. I just hope that it's clean hits and they aren't going to really hurt someone.

If he wasn't captain, he might. I don't know. I'm sure he's been team captain since he was 8 years old.
    I can't wait either I'm sure it will likely be the best series this year depending on who advances to the later rounds.

And as far as him being a captain maybe we can send his parents a letter asking him if he has been complaining to the refs since he was 3.

15+ Year Old Account
    I can't wait either I'm sure it will likely be the best series this year depending on who advances to the later rounds.

And as far as him being a captain maybe we can send his parents a letter asking him if he has been complaining to the refs since he was 3.
    lol, well I'm sure they would only have good things to say too. You think you're annoyed now!?

Pens/Flyers is gonna be sick. Lots of good matchups though. Really looking forward to watching every NJ game too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really looking forward to watching every NJ game too.
    If FL was playing well I would be looking forward to those games but they haven't as of late, just barely stumbled into the playoffs, so I think NJ will beat them pretty easily if they don't pick it up.

Don't worry. You guys have turned me around on Datsyuk. I'm not a big follower of of Western Hockey, but I do enjoy watching videos of his play and he's a really decent all around player. Hasn't he won this trophy a few times already?
    I absolutely love Datsyuk, one of my favorite players in the league. But, Bergeron deserves the Selke this year, and he damn well better get it!

15+ Year Old Account
    If FL was playing well I would be looking forward to those games but they haven't as of late, just barely stumbled into the playoffs, so I think NJ will beat them pretty easily if they don't pick it up.
    NJ is my first love. I got in to hockey watching Devils games.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Completely agree with those awards but I'd put Bergeron for Selke (conscript's)
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2012-04-10 at 05:14 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Find it crazy how many people are calling Detroit the underdog. That's a word I haven't heard describe Detroit since 1994 X_x
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Find it crazy how many people are calling Detroit the underdog. That's a word I haven't heard describe Detroit since 1994 X_x
    I think Detroit has a good shot this year. They have a few obstacles though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I decided to look up Red Wings seasonal stats since 94 (btw, I don't consider them an underdog, though I don't consider them one of the favorites either) and I found out that this is the first season since the creation of the Central Division that the Red Wings haven't been 1st or 2nd in the Division at the end of the season.

The only reason most people think Nashville has an edge is because away from the Joe yall have been horrible. No home ice statistically puts you at a disadvantage this year. I don't think it would matter who had home ice I think everyone would be predicting a 7 game series, but basically thats what they are using as the tie breaker.

As I've said earlier Detroit is the one team I know Nashville won't come out flat against. While picks wise yall may be considered the underdog, for most Nashville fans ( and probably the players too) we are still the underdogs. Until we beat you in the playoffs we will always be the underdogs.

Most Nashville fans are holding our breath. This series means a shit ton for us as a franchise. If we go out in the first round we lose Suter without a doubt, Weber will follow suit and Radulov probably goes back to Russia til he is a UFA. We probably don't get Gaustad or AK46 at the point either, and who knows about Gill. We go deep though and some, if not all of those issue may be non existant.

BTW I think its about time the Preds win some dang awards damnit. Without Rinne this team is an 8th seed at best ( and that may be stretching it). Trotz has been passed over so many damn times its almost getting laughable. How the heck has he NOT won the Jack Adams yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Honestly, if Detroit loses this series, I won't be surprised or upset. I want franchises like Nashville to succeed in the NHL, since you're owner nor Gm are idiots. As for the awards, Rinne I doubt will even be a nominee sadly, Trotz will get passed over again when McClean or Hitchcock wins it and Weber will never win a Norris till Lidstrom retires. At least you're third best in three categories.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, if Detroit loses this series, I won't be surprised or upset. I want franchises like Nashville to succeed in the NHL, since you're owner nor Gm are idiots. As for the awards, Rinne I doubt will even be a nominee sadly, Trotz will get passed over again when McClean or Hitchcock wins it and Weber will never win a Norris till Lidstrom retires. At least you're third best in three categories.
    Ya I won't be sad at all if Detroit loses to Nashville. Any other team sure, but not the Preds. Frankly I hope they win the Cup just to give a middle finger to the NHL about how they market their non-major city franchises. Casual hockey fans probably don't even know Nashville has a team since they are never on tv, never talked about, never featured in marketing, etc. A Nashville/Florida Cup would be ridiculously devastating to the league's television revenue, but it would certainly teach them a thing or two about keeping bad franchises around (Florida) and marketing their non-Pittsburgh, Philly, New York teams.

Trotz won't win the Adams for the same reason Babcock won't win it. At this point the Preds are expected to be good. He had a shot when they were awful and surprised people by not being completely awful, but now he is out of it since the only people who win that award are seemingly the guys who took a team that was supposed to be awful to being good or who survived a series of devastating injuries.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-04-10 at 12:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    about keeping bad franchises around (Florida)
    I did have to laugh about party city sponsoring their playoff run lol

15+ Year Old Account
    Here is a bright lining for Toronto fans! You guys had your first 80 point scorer since 2001-2002 this year in Phil Kessel. See, that trade for Seguin is totally working out! Kessel was also your first 35 goal scorer since 2001-02. How the hell is either one of those things possible? Prior to this season, each post-lockout year has seen a Leaf lead the team with 32 or fewer goals. The leading scorer on the Leafs nets literally half as many goals as Stamkos did by himself this year.

Why the hell didn't Burke offer sheet him? Oh darn they would have lost out on some picks. How many of those first round picks have currently worked out for the Leafs in recent years? I mean seriously how many?
    2011-Biggs and Percy, who knows on either of them
    2010-Kessel for Seguin deal so kind of working out
    2009-Nazim Kadri- Sucks
    2008-Schenn- meh, not awful, not a superstar by any means
    2007- Traded for Toskala. That worked out well

2008 draft: They took Luke Schenn at 5. Tyler Myers a legit big time NHL D-man went 12th, likely Norris winner Karlsson went 15th, Jordan Eberle went 22nd. Hindsight is 20/20, but they missed big time.

Why not offer sheet Stamkos and give up three first and some other crap for a once in a generation player that would so massively upgrade their offense it wouldn't be funny. The Leafs haven't had a legitimate first line goal scorer since, fuck, ever? Sundin was a 40 goal scorer a couple of times, Andreychuck scored 53 once.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-04-10 at 05:04 PM.

One more fucking day, can't wait.
    I remember it all too well

10+ Year Old Account
    Andreychuck scored 53 once.
    My captain my captain!

Sorry had to do it. Love the guy.