15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I think you should hold off counting the Devils out yet. They were counted out against Philly and trounced them. They are beating the heavily favored Rangers.
    Nah. It's more fun when people keep counting them out and getting mad when they win.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you should hold off counting the Devils out yet. They were counted out against Philly and trounced them. They are beating the heavily favored Rangers.
    Heavily favored? Since when? You definition is pretty loose.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Heavily favored? Since when? You definition is pretty loose.
    Heavily favored in they were favored by Vegas in the series, had the second best Cup odds going into the Conference Finals, were favored in games 1,2 and 5 (as you'd expect as home games) and were only a +100 in the New Jersey road games. So heavily favored in the exact definition of heavily favored. The team with significantly better odds in the series according to Las Vegas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Heavily favored in they were favored by Vegas in the series, had the second best Cup odds going into the Conference Finals, were favored in games 1,2 and 5 (as you'd expect as home games) and were only a +100 in the New Jersey road games. So heavily favored in the exact definition of heavily favored. The team with significantly better odds in the series according to Las Vegas.
    The odds were 8/5 tonight at puck drop in Vegas as I had money down on the game. "Significantly" and "heavily" and incorrect. And any reputable hockey broadcaster would also disagree with the Rangers being heavily favored.

The more I watch NJ the more I want to get Parise in FA. At the moment I hate the guy who stole Parise from me in my pool. I'd have a real shot at first place if the guy didn't take him. <_<

I blame Fuzzzie.

10+ Year Old Account
    I definitely wouldn't call the Rangers heavily favourited, barely even favourited. Honestly the Rangers just seem tired, and are simply being carried by King Lundqvist and a very solid defense. Come the finals, I doubt the Rangers score more than 8 goals in the series, let alone win a game.

If NJ wins this in 6, I see them getting two wins against the Kings, 3 if Brodeur steals a game.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It mostly depends on Broduer, the Kings are just clicking right now. They're also very well rested compared to any other team right now. Marty is going to have to out duel Quick if they have any chance in beating the Kings. So far the teams with better performing goalies have given the Kings the most trouble (hardly any at that). While Lundqvist didn't look as good tonight, I think if the Rangers get to the finals he'll play a huge role. Usually in these last 2 rounds skill takes a front seat over effort. New Jersey has some high end talent that'll get looked past. Kovalchuk, Parise, Elias are all big time players, especially Elias who has been here more than once. Whatever team makes it, I think they'll both get crushed in 5-6 games. L.A. is playing a near perfect game, if their power play comes alive it'll be a definite sweep. Rangers will likely have a better chance since Lundqvist is amazing, but L.A. easily dismantled the Blues defensive game, which seems superior to New York's. If they hated Chris Neil in round 1, they're going to have nightmares about Dustin Brown if NYR make it which I think they will.

There's just something about New Jersey that just doesn't sell to me. I feel Broduer is very beatable and will have a tough time keeping up with the fast, difficult L.A. forwards. Their top 3 D-men are fairly good but I'm not sure how much faith I have in everyone who isn't Zidlicky, Harrold, or Salvadore/Volchenkov. Obviously they have great offensive talent but I'm not sure I can put my finger on it, but there's something holding me back from thinking these guys can actually take down the Kings. They had a fairly easy route to the Eastern finals as well imo. A mediocre Florida team consisting of many 2nd/3rd recycled liners and a re surging goalie. The Philadelphia team seemed like they had spent all their good play on the first round, also considering Bryzgalov was the weakest goalie in my opinion of the playoffs going in.

The Rangers on the other hand have had 2 hard battled series. Ottawa proved to be tougher than anyone could have ever predicted then facing a Washington team that just looked like they were destined to win. They sort of just keep plugging away. If they force game 7, I think they take the series @ home. Lundqvist is carrying this team really badly right now but I think they'll need a superhuman performance out of him if they even want to make it 6 games vs the Kings.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Not really surprising considering the Rangers barely got past Ottawa and Washington, which given their regular season numbers is rather sad.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Seriously can't believe the Canucks resigned AV. Everyone thinks he's such a great coach because they topped the league two years in a row, but no one seems to realize that for a team with so much incredible talent to perform so poorly when it counts on a consistent basis is anything but good coaching. You can't always blame the coach for a team's failings, but witnessing his defense-over-offense stylings even when they're trailing, the insistence of playing Luongo literally every chance he got, and the goddamn thirty-five passes and one shot each powerplay has given me little reason to have any faith in him whatsoever. He's had possibly the best version of the Canucks ever, and only ever succeeded with them when it hasn't counted.

Despite how incredible L.A. has played this postseason, Stanley Cup finalists losing in five games in the first round isn't cause for a promotion. He should've still been sitting on one year left, on thin ice, and with a lot of skepticism aimed at him this entire upcoming season. I really don't look forward to three more seasons of being a Vancouver fan under Vigneault.

15+ Year Old Account
    Good to see the NHL is super serious about their new concussion prevention policies. The Phoenix Coyotes, you know the team the NHL freaking owns, let Lauri Korpikoski play seven games in the post season with a concussion he reportedly got in the Chicago series.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's 2012, you can't predict anything playoff wise these days. Vegas odds are horse shit for reliability in predicting hockey outcomes these days.

---------- Post added 2012-05-24 at 05:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    Not really surprising considering the Rangers barely got past Ottawa and Washington, which given their regular season numbers is rather sad.
    To be fair, the Rangers don't exactly have the offensive talent capability that either of those teams have. Washington lost because their best players didn't show up to play. When Ovechkin is a non factor and both Semin and Green are ghosts offensively, your team won't get anywhere. Washington needs a retool on the back end and some better depth up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    I definitely wouldn't call the Rangers heavily favourited, barely even favourited. Honestly the Rangers just seem tired, and are simply being carried by King Lundqvist and a very solid defense. Come the finals, I doubt the Rangers score more than 8 goals in the series, let alone win a game.

If NJ wins this in 6, I see them getting two wins against the Kings, 3 if Brodeur steals a game.
    Last year everyone assumed Vancouver would beat Boston. Personally, I think Brodeur would feel a lot less pressure than Quick if NJ makes the finals and that could be all the difference in the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    is the NHL suspending Brown? Nope, but they are considering fines against the Coyotes for being a bunch of babies, cute

15+ Year Old Account
    So excited for tonight's game. It's my Birthday weekend. All i want is for my Devils to make it to the finals!

I'll be watching the game at a bar tonight with some friends so I won't be there for chat. Links in my sig if you guys want to use it. I'm sure tetrisGOAT will be there and maybe Conscript can remind people with a link!

Enjoy the game!

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    is the NHL suspending Brown? Nope, but they are considering fines against the Coyotes for being a bunch of babies, cute
    Good, they finally got one right. That hit wasn't dirty, was late by like 0.3 seconds, and was intended from what I've seen as a shoulder-to-shoulder collision that unfortunately went awry. Brown couldn't have really done anything to avoid hitting him, or hit him in any other way given the positioning of both players, but the Coyotes had full control over how they responded, and their crybaby antics after losing made the entire hockey world realize that they respond the same way to a loss as their bandwagon fans. It was shameful and, instead of taking the high road like a real team, they put more of a black eye on their organization. This is how people will remember them and their playoff run, and it's pathetic to think they might get away with it. Good on the NHL for acknowledging that poor sportsmanship is a problem in the league.

15+ Year Old Account
    The Yotes should be fined for the handshake line nonsense. You just don't do that. Detroit and Colorado would go out and try and kill each other for an entire series and I don't remember anything but respect in the handshake line. The Yotes deserve fines for that and Tippet deserves fines for his whining about diving in the post game press conference. Hey Dave, your team was diving the entire playoffs. Smith flops constantly. Rosy flopped two minutes before the series ending goal when a stick touched the back of his legs. He went down like Penner broke a stick over the back of his head. Don't say there was a problem with the officiating and the actions of the other teams when your team is just as guilty.

Speaking of the Yotes, according to Spector from Sportsnet, Jamison wants a 3-5 year window in his agreement to buy the Yotes that will let him move the team without league interference. Guess what opens in 3-5 years, oh ya the new arena in Quebec...

I've got to bandwagon with the last two posters. In addition to what they said, it sure looked like the refs sided with Phoenix in game 4. I don't see what the big deal is as Kings were going to the SC finals anyway since Phoenix didn't seem to put nearly as much effort in the first three games. Even if Brown gets a suspension, it doesn't help the Coyotes in any way. As for a fine to the Coyotes, it's only about $2,500? Not a huge loss for anyone, and I wouldn't be surprised if players like Smith and Doan (who I respect) regret how they acted at the end of the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Smith is known as a hot head, ever since his days in Dallas, and honestly considering he carried this team, I don't blame him.

Doan on the other hand, I am surprised by his actions. The guy is well known as a fantastic captain and a classy guy, I guess being eliminated from the playoffs this late, was too much for him.

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 11:28 PM ----------

Speaking of the Yotes, according to Spector from Sportsnet, Jamison wants a 3-5 year window in his agreement to buy the Yotes that will let him move the team without league interference. Guess what opens in 3-5 years, oh ya the new arena in Quebec...
    What's a good way to make your star goalie test the free agent market? Move the team across North America. If Jamison buys the team, Smith won't return in a Yote's sweater come summer 2013. He's said in an interview before he doesn't want to play in a high pressure market, which all Canadian teams are.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-05-25 at 11:30 PM.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Fining the team that you own, that's rich of the NHL.

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 09:40 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Smith is known as a hot head, ever since his days in Dallas, and honestly considering he carried this team, I don't blame him.

Doan on the other hand, I am surprised by his actions. The guy is well known as a fantastic captain and a classy guy, I guess being eliminated from the playoffs this late, was too much for him.

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 11:28 PM ----------

What's a good way to make your star goalie test the free agent market? Move the team across North America. If Jamison buys the team, Smith won't return in a Yote's sweater come summer 2013. He's said in an interview before he doesn't want to play in a high pressure market, which all Canadian teams are.
    Any team going deep into the playoffs are going to be in a high pressure situation. The only teams that have fans and media who don't give that much of a fuck are Columbus, Dallas, Florida and Phoenix. Looks like his options are pretty limited.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Fining the team that you own, that's rich of the NHL.

---------- Post added 2012-05-25 at 09:40 PM ----------

Any team going deep into the playoffs are going to be in a high pressure situation. The only teams that have fans and media who don't give that much of a fuck are Columbus, Dallas, Florida and Phoenix. Looks like his options are pretty limited.
    I think he more or less meant teams in "smaller" markets. Basically, any southern team. Honestly I see him in Columbus for the 2014 season. Possibly Minnesota if Backstrom continues to go down hill talent wise.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-05-26 at 01:57 AM.