Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    We like the fact that he hits anything that moves. He led the league in hits last year with a reasonable number of penalties. And, he wasn't entirely awful.

Timonen is a great player, but way past his prime. Streit is massively overpaid for what he's done. Coburn was a top defenseman, but he's sorta faded the last few years and is, at best, a good defenseman. Meszaros was was great too, but he's proven to be made of fucking glass.
    Yeah, I know he hits like crazy, but he really did not have good puck control when he played for the Leafs. I get told by Flyers fans all the time "you didn't even watch any Flyers games last year, don't criticize him, he was our best defenseman..." and honestly, Schenn was great here his first year too then seemed to get consistently worse each year. I doubt it's a coincidence that the Leafs finally made the playoffs when he was gone and the Flyers missed out on the playoffs for the first time in 7 years when he went over there. I'd also say he's worse than our top 6 defenders if we resign Franson (though, I'd rather have him than Holzer or Kostka). Can't help but feel we robbed you guys in the Schenn/JVR trade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Flyers didn't make the playoffs because;
    -The defense is and always will be shit. It doesn't help when your "best" d-men is injured long term.
    -Giroux and Voracek was the entire offense for the team.
    -Ilya Bryzgalov played 33 games in a row, and that generally is not a good idea.
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by Elgefar View Post
    Flyers didn't make the playoffs because;
    -The defense is and always will be shit. It doesn't help when your "best" d-men is injured long term.
    -Giroux and Voracek was the entire offense for the team.
    -Ilya Bryzgalov played 33 games in a row, and that generally is not a good idea.
    They made playoffs before with Bryz.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, but he didn't play 33 games in a row since they had a viable backup (Sergei Bobrovsky). They also had a much more healthy d-men core, the veteran leadership of Jagr that mobilized the young guys and a 35+ goal season by Hartnell.
    "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that".
    Bill Shankly
    "You're playing worse and worse every day and right now you're playing like it's next month".
    Herb Brooks

Yes, but he didn't play 33 games in a row since they had a viable backup (Sergei Bobrovsky). They also had a much more healthy d-men core, the veteran leadership of Jagr that mobilized the young guys and a 35+ goal season by Hartnell.
    Meh, I'd say Emery is still a pretty decent goalie and I feel like he'll look just as bad as Bryz because of your defense.

Bobrovski looked awful with us fyi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    Bobrovski looked awful with us fyi.
    Yeah, but he was better than Michael Leighton.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Meh, I'd say Emery is still a pretty decent goalie and I feel like he'll look just as bad as Bryz because of your defense.
    Indeed. But that's what happens when Holmgren tries to build a high offense team, and fails miserably at it.
    Bill Shankly
    Herb Brooks

15+ Year Old Account
    Slightly OT:

I'm toying with the idea of doing a fantasy league with my buddies as we're all scattered across the country and its a good way to keep in touch.

None of us have ever played before. Evidently my lack of patience with google this morning is sub-par...I just cannot find a well-rounded "how-to" when it comes to making/running/playing a fantasy league.

Anyone have experience with this?
    "There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    Not finding-a-cock-on-your-girlfriend-is-normal level of odd, but nevertheless, still odd.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Toxigen View Post
    Slightly OT:

I'm toying with the idea of doing a fantasy league with my buddies as we're all scattered across the country and its a good way to keep in touch.

None of us have ever played before. Evidently my lack of patience with google this morning is sub-par...I just cannot find a well-rounded "how-to" when it comes to making/running/playing a fantasy league.

Anyone have experience with this?
    Making/Running fantasy leagues I have lots of experience with. I think I have only ever done hockey on Yahoo and ESPN, not even sure if NHL.com has fantasy. The day to day operation is pretty much handled for you on most websites and setting everything up is very simple assuming you want to just use default scoring and rules.

As far as guides to drafting and running your team, well that is a little more complex. A lot of information on players can be found in articles here:
    http://www.nhl.com/ice/eventhome.htm?location=/fantasy
    http://games.espn.go.com/frontpage/hockey (most shit is insider unfortunately. Suck it ESPN)
    http://www.fantasyhockeyscouts.com/

Jay and Dan come back! They don't appreciate you down there in the US like we do!
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Jay and Dan come back! They don't appreciate you down there in the US like we do!
    We really don't. I've only caught the show a couple times and it is fantastic. So much better than any Sportscenter team. It is like old school Dan Patrick/ Olberman combo.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I must be one of the only Canadians who hates those two. They are absurdly stupid.

Not having a TV made me hate waking up for the last year until they disappeared to America. They were a great way to start the day.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mikka Kiprusoff officially retires today. Even though we all knew it was going to come, it still makes me sad. He was by far the most important player in Flames history. Without Mikka, there is no 04 cup run. There are no Division wins. There aren't half as many Calgary Flames victories without him. He's a Conn Smyth and a Stanley Cup short of being mentioned in any great goalie conversation but he was my favourite goalie and probably favourite hockey player ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Jay and Dan sucked, thank heavens I don't have to listen to them in the morning

Also - leafs/kadri working towards 2 year deal

And he even WON a cup in game 6 if you ask me.

@kabookiejoez: couldn't you just not watch TSN when you wake up before?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaO View Post
    And he even WON a cup in game 6 if you ask me.

@kabookiejoez: couldn't you just not watch TSN when you wake up before?
    Nah, cause then i would have to watch sportsnet.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god Sportsnet. Turned primetime sports on for some reason (fkcing hate bob mcowen or w/e his name is) and Damien Cox was on their panel roundtable thing. They just scrape the bottom of the barrel for analysts there it's sad

Quote Originally Posted by Zeoni View Post
    Mikka Kiprusoff officially retires today. Even though we all knew it was going to come, it still makes me sad. He was by far the most important player in Flames history. Without Mikka, there is no 04 cup run. There are no Division wins. There aren't half as many Calgary Flames victories without him. He's a Conn Smyth and a Stanley Cup short of being mentioned in any great goalie conversation but he was my favourite goalie and probably favourite hockey player ever.
    Definitely the saddest news of the day. I guess it leaves room now for the inevitable goalie discussion in Calgary now. Macdonald, Ramo, Ortio, Berra, Brossoit. Should make pre-season interesting. Needless to say they all have some huge skates to fill.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.