Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    He isn't, well he might be. Hell he might not even be the best goalie on the market right now in Vancouver. Eddie Lack, the Canucks stud AHL dominating goalie is still an RFA. The Leafs are hardly a Cup competitor this year so why not roll the dice on a huge upside prospect that has shown he can play. That also will save them a bundle of money that they can spend on Getzlaf, etc. next summer. Give Eddie Lack a 3 year, 1 way $3 million per year deal. That deal would be a massive headache for the Canucks who still want him on a two way deal. The cap hit is significant enough to make them think seriously about it. Its almost a no lose situation. Oh no they'll have to give up a 2nd round pick at that compensation level for one of the best young goalies not currently in the NHL.
    I can imagine them being sick relying on unproven young goalies. Reimer and Scrivens are also talented guys, so was Monster, but that didn't work out at all last season. Acquiring Luongo wouldn't immediately make them a primary cup contender, but it will help them at least return to the playoffs and they know what they get. A goalie who backstopped a team to two consecutive President's Trophys, a narrow cup final loss, an Olympic gold medal and several more rounds worth of playoffs in the last few years. He might not be one of the god tier goalies in the league, but he sure as hell doesn't miss by much.

Yes, he is expensive and his contract is long. But I'd much rather fix the one huge problem the Leafs had for almost a decade (horrible goaltenders) than to invest the money into high class forwards and gamble on goaltending again. Just take one good look at teams like LA, Phoenix or Nashville and you see where a great goalie can get you. And if Burke can get rid of a few of the bad contracts (*cough*Komisarek*cough*) they should be able to afford at least Getzlaf anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't count on Getzlaf coming to Toronto, and don't bandage a team with an expensive aging goalie. Unless Vancouver just wants to dump his salary, which they would be retarded to do, I doubt Luongo would be worth it. Stick with Reimer, and treat him like a starter. Panic next season, when you have a much better chance of dumping Komisarek and Connolly will be off the payroll.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

15+ Year Old Account
    Buffalo is apparently now in the Shane Doan market at $30 million for four years. Its been what a month since his "deadline" for Jamison to make progress on buying the team and Doan still hasn't signed one of the number of ludicrous offers on the table for him. At this point I'm convinced he is just going to ride it out until just before next season is about to start then sign with Phoenix if they have a new owner or someone else if they don't.

---------- Post added 2012-08-22 at 02:09 PM ----------

Taylor Hall extends with Edmonton 7 years $6 million per.

Also, you know that CBA they are supposed to be working so hard on to get done before a lockout costs them games? Ya the league cancelled today's meetings.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-08-22 at 06:12 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Buffalo is apparently now in the Shane Doan market at $30 million for four years. Its been what a month since his "deadline" for Jamison to make progress on buying the team and Doan still hasn't signed one of the number of ludicrous offers on the table for him. At this point I'm convinced he is just going to ride it out until just before next season is about to start then sign with Phoenix if they have a new owner or someone else if they don't.

Also, you know that CBA they are supposed to be working so hard on to get done before a lockout costs them games? Ya the league cancelled today's meetings.
    absolutely shocking. i would have NEVER saw that coming
    [/sarcasm]

10+ Year Old Account
    Congrats Edmonton on paying a player entirely for his potential. Hopefully he can play a full season once during that contract. I guess panic and sign everyone before the CBA is set in place is still on everyone's mind.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Anassi View Post
    I expect to see a considerable ransom once they ship him out. They also pretty much have to do it now, they can't just wait for next season to start and bench him, that would hurt his market value too much.

I also cannot imagine why Burke isn't jumping him right now. Last season the Leafs were literally one halfway decent goalie away from the playoffs, and Luongo is by *far* the best available goalie at the moment.
    I disagree to an extent. Reimer was playing well up until the headshot injury by that overpaid assbag Gionta, however as a whole the Leafs blue line looked absolutely abysmal even when he was healthy and playing well. After he came back and was fully recovered, the blue line looked bad. After Carlyle took over, the blue line looked better but the goaltending was already too far gone to salvage the season. I think they need to get another goalie yes, but I doubt Burke is going to give up more then picks to get Luongo.

15+ Year Old Account
    this thread has over 13,400 replies...wow.
    in hockey related news...im expecting a 2 month lockout at beginning of season. or the season starts with the Winter Classic at the latest. a Full Season long Lockout would be the death of teams like PHX and CBJ.

10+ Year Old Account
    NHL 13: The Lockout

10+ Year Old Account
    it's a good thing my team already won the Cup because I'm pretty fed up with NHL labor bullshit and I'm tempted to just pack my bags and go

maybe I'd drop by in the gap between football and baseball but the NHL is not doing itself any favors alienating fans that are already spread thin with so many other rival sports

now there are plenty of die hards, I used to be one of them, but I got pretty miffed about the 94-95 damage to the season, and then ten years later they botched it even worse, and now the games are on versus or whateverthefuck its called now and they might get into a labor tiff again and I'm starting to wonder why I should continue to care

I'm not a fair weather fan but I'm not gonna let myself get caught in any hurricanes either

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marcelos11 View Post
    this thread has over 13,400 replies...wow.
    in hockey related news...im expecting a 2 month lockout at beginning of season. or the season starts with the Winter Classic at the latest. a Full Season long Lockout would be the death of teams like PHX and CBJ.
    /equip Tinfoil Hat
    Is it possible the NHL gave Columbus the All Star Game this year knowing, or at least knowing there was a huge chance, it wouldn't be played? That way if they do end up contracting the team, the money lost from any preparations or advertising the team had done to this point about the game wouldn't be lost by an owner of a franchise that is going to remain in the NHL. Everyone and their uncle thought Columbus having the ASG was stupid. Maybe they threw them a bone knowing it wouldn't be played.
    /unequip Tinfoil Hat

---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 07:40 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    it's a good thing my team already won the Cup because I'm pretty fed up with NHL labor bullshit and I'm tempted to just pack my bags and go

maybe I'd drop by in the gap between football and baseball but the NHL is not doing itself any favors alienating fans that are already spread thin with so many other rival sports

now there are plenty of die hards, I used to be one of them, but I got pretty miffed about the 94-95 damage to the season, and then ten years later they botched it even worse, and now the games are on versus or whateverthefuck its called now and they might get into a labor tiff again and I'm starting to wonder why I should continue to care

I'm not a fair weather fan but I'm not gonna let myself get caught in any hurricanes either
    I think it is currently called NBC Olympic Water Polo channel still. I don't think they have got around to changing the name to something else since the Olympics ended. I'm not happy with another potential game cancelling lockout. I can understand the labor dispute part which is going to happen every decade or so, but the way the NHL does it is just boggling. This is an issue that they should have started hammering out last offseason. I'll never understand why they wait until mid-July to start working on a huge deal they need to have done in September. And even then they meet once in July for the NHL proposal, once in August for the NHLPA counter proposal, then cancel meetings or put them off to hammer out the differences. Get this shit done already. Its pathetic. Bettman earns a huge salary for this exact reason. Do your fucking job. Fehr isn't representing anyone else. Do your fucking job. The owners and players aren't doing anything else right now. Do your fucking jobs. These guys should be at the table every single day starting in the offseason before the end of the CBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbles View Post
    NHL 13: The Lockout
    People I know would buy it in droves

---------- Post added 2012-08-23 at 10:25 PM ----------

I have a feeling Hall is going to be their next Hemsky
    I remember it all too well

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still isn't sounding good at all. The owners are getting greedy, that is all there is to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm honestly baffled as to why they'd actually lock out the season completely, instead of simply extending the current CBA for a year and continue talks during/after the season. Why throw away an entire season and lose all the momentum the NHL was gaining?

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xevan View Post
    People I know would buy it in droves
    No more manager mode, just go straight for lockout mode. You can spend a few hours arguing over contracts and still get nowhere. The more games lost the better you're doing!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stuck4cash View Post
    No more manager mode, just go straight for lockout mode. You can spend a few hours arguing over contracts and still get nowhere. The more games lost the better you're doing!
    If the Phoenix Coyotes are still alive at the end of the season, is that a win or a loss?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoma View Post
    If the Phoenix Coyotes are still alive at the end of the season, is that a win or a loss?
    That depends completely on you buying the Glendale City Council DLC Pack where you must find a way to either keep the current city council members in office or discover ways to grease the palms of the various new CC members who could very well kill the lease deal if it doesn't go into effect for a year.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bettman was talking to the media after their meeting yesterday and everything that troll says just makes me mad. "The reason we bounced back easily in the 04' lockout is because we have the greatest fans in the world". The nerve. Mother fucker if you cared at all about the "greatest fans in the world" you woulden't be arguing over money when you're fucking swimming in it. All I keep hearing is the players are being reasonable and the owners are the ones making this thing go on longer. Just feels like they're being unreasonable and greedy for one purpose. Money ruins everything.

It's just clear they don't really give a shit what the NHL looks like to everyone else. As long as they're getting paid it's all good. 2 lockouts in less than 10 years is so pathetic. Every other sport looks down at the NHL and that's because they just don't care about their self image imo. From the shitty discipline when hockey is actually going on to labour disputes. They had so many chances to make examples of players by throwing a lengthy suspension at them but they just held up. All the outside world or non hockey fan sees is barbaric rough stuff that's somehow tolerated when they see them on the highlights. Sucks because the sport itself is amazing, just run by morons.
    Last edited by Zeoni; 2012-08-24 at 05:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Normally meme images aren't allowed but I approve this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Shane Doan says he'll make a decision on his future come Sept 15th. God fucking dammit Doan, why couldn't you just say "I'll sign when the Coyotes franchise bullshit is resolved."

If after all this he just resigns with the Coyotes, I'm burning my jersey of his.
    Last edited by Irony; 2012-08-24 at 10:14 PM.