Bruins are on their 12th defenseman to play this season, and somehow are making it work.

Chara out 4-6 weeks
    lol casual - Ret masochist since 05

Rullk

Hi everyone,

Got a question - I live in Australia and really enjoy Hockey. Happened to watch a couple of games here and there and I'd really like to follow a team. Any recommendations on how to choose, having never been to the US or Canada?

I don't like being "THAT" person who picks last seasons winners just because they won.
    This is my signature. It states my prediction of the next expansion. Not only is it correct in my eyes, but should also be in yours too.
    Anyone who doesn't agree with me is an idiot, a bad, and a pleb.

- A Quote from every narcissistic, defiant, self-absorbed theorist on these forums. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by Excessiv View Post
    Hi everyone,

Got a question - I live in Australia and really enjoy Hockey. Happened to watch a couple of games here and there and I'd really like to follow a team. Any recommendations on how to choose, having never been to the US or Canada?

I don't like being "THAT" person who picks last seasons winners just because they won.
    I'd tried to pick a team that plays when you can watch if possible. For example if you're in GMT+11 maybe a West Coast team would be something you can watch when it's on. Las Vegas came into the league last year and lost in the finals. LAs a good team if you enjoy watching good defensive talent as they have one of the best defensive centres and (IMO) the best defensemen (though, I would recommend them more right now if you can enjoy games with less scoring) and they tend to do very well when they make the playoffs. San Jose, I think is one of the most exciting teams with the best defense overall. Vancouver has some young and upcoming talent (especially in a guy named Petersson) but you might have to take extra showers with how dirty you'd feel putting on one of their jerseys. Calgary is an above average team with one of the most entertaining players and a strong defensive core. Anaheim should be going on the rebuild soon. Edmonton is an embarrassment of a franchise with a GM who has traded away all sorts of stars for mediocre returns, but they have (arguably) the best player in the game right now.

Overall, I'd recommend San Jose to you if you're looking for a team you can watch while it's live.

If you want West Coast, I like San Jose. But that may be because I'm an Evander Kane fan and thought he was wasted here in Buffalo.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Western Conference is a bloody dumpster fire right now.

5 of the top 8 teams in the league right now are in the Atlantic Division. Sabres have the 4th best record in the league, and are 3rd in their division.

10+ Year Old Account
    The League is cycling out which teams are great. Going to be a strange next 10 years to see when the guys winning cups are all at the bottom because of people getting slower and bad salary cap signings.

I mean, isn't that good for parity? IDK. Botterrill has been really impressive so far in terms of cap signings. Give me Carter Hutton at 2.75 a year over Carey Price any day of the week.

We're gonna have to pay out the nose for Skinner though, but it should be worth it. He'll be the "old man" on this team at 26 once Pominville retires.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrark View Post
    The League is cycling out which teams are great. Going to be a strange next 10 years to see when the guys winning cups are all at the bottom because of people getting slower and bad salary cap signings.
    It's one reason I feel pretty solid about our chances, especially if Saros can transition. We don't have any glaringly bad contracts, especially considering it wouldn't surprise me to see Poile move Subban at some point. Now in 5-6 years we may be in trouble if we don't roll in some younger D, but that's the one position we always seem to be able to find players.

Hoping the Nylander situation is actually going to be resolved today from what I'm seeing.

I know the games tonight haven't even started yet and we finished our 4 pm game, but still, had to post it:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Vancouver has some young and upcoming talent (especially in a guy named Petersson) but you might have to take extra showers with how dirty you'd feel putting on one of their jerseys.
    Presumably you're a Flames fan, but I wonder what about the current Van roster that makes you want to puke? It's a brand new era, there's really nothing to hate about the team anymore except I guess the ownership.

A good portion of the fanbase blows though it's true, but that's more about Vancouver as a city than anything else. Particularly Vancouver media is really gross with either doomsday or plan-the-parade-route headlines and nothing in between.

- - - Updated - - -

This isn't NHL-related at all but I wanted to share it here since it's the only place where we talk about hockey on this forum. My rec league team was looking for a new logo and my design was picked up, so that's pretty cool! It's out team initials (HTH) and based on the old Whalers logo.

Last edited by jackofwind; 2018-11-24 at 12:52 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Presumably you're a Flames fan, but I wonder what about the current Van roster that makes you want to puke? It's a brand new era, there's really nothing to hate about the team anymore except I guess the ownership.

A good portion of the fanbase blows though it's true, but that's more about Vancouver as a city than anything else. Particularly Vancouver media is really gross with either doomsday or plan-the-parade-route headlines and nothing in between.
    Leafs fan. Never disliked the Canucks initially (used to be my 2nd favourite) and always liked your superstars (Bure is my favourite non-Leaf player and really liked Nasland a lot as well). Your media is irrelevant, but your fanbase did it for me.

Man, I miss the Whalers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greeney View Post
    Leafs fan. Never disliked the Canucks initially (used to be my 2nd favourite) and always liked your superstars (Bure is my favourite non-Leaf player and really liked Nasland a lot as well). Your media is irrelevant, but your fanbase did it for me.
    Yeah the Van fanbase is a really weird thing to be honest, it's kind of hard to understand if you've never lived in Vancouver because it's very much like the city. It's super popular in Vancouver to be a "fan" of other Pacific Div teams just so that you can shit on the Canucks and try to bother fans of the team by flaunting other teams merch as much as possible.

Meanwhile whenever the team actually does well the size of the Canucks bandwagon reaches unfathomable levels, filled with people from the outlying cities that don't follow the team and are only interested in having something to gloat about. It doesn't help that most people that live in BC don't like Vancouver as a city, or even the Lower Mainland area in general. It's kind of a testament to what people think of Vancouver that the vast majority of people arrested for the 2011 riots lived outside of the Greater Vancouver area - they flocked in from surrounding cities for an opportunity to trash Vancouver and were ready to do so win or lose.

I'm constantly frustrated by the way the majority of Canucks fans act because they give all of us such a bad reputation. There are good fans of the franchise out there, they just seem to always be overshadowed by the perennial horde of drama queens. I think it'll be interesting to see what Seattle's fans are like, because I see Seahawks fans being similar to Canucks fans in a lot of ways. Maybe having a proper regional rivalry instead of being just a third wheel in the Alberta rivalry will be good for the team.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

15+ Year Old Account
    Laine is on fire.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Yeah, I'm watching the Sabres, Skinner notches one to take the NHL lead with 18.......next thing I know Laine has 5 tonight and 19 total.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Yeah, I'm watching the Sabres, Skinner notches one to take the NHL lead with 18.......next thing I know Laine has 5 tonight and 19 total.
    It's hard to guess who will be the player of the week.... Laine has what 3+2+1+5 goals this week?

- - - Updated - - -

So now Laine is #1 in goals, Rantanen #1 in points and assists, Rinne #1 in save % and GAA.

Finns dominating.
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.

Just had to do it:

15+ Year Old Account
    One more and it's 10-0-0.