Thread: new warlock

new warlock

hi, i have started leveling a warlock and i just wanted to ask which specc is the fastest then leveling? im split between the 3 as they have changed alot and i can't determine which of them it is.

Sorry if this sounds like a im too lazy to do research myself question and also if there already is a topic about this feel free to lock it if needed.

Affliction, every time.

Deleted
    I'd say destro. When you got chaos bolt + Conflagrate, you can mostly one/two hit mobs. (That's at least what I did)

I did Destro all the way and it was easy and fun. My main was a pally and what a difference it is.

(but I will say this and I am sure get slammed by some really good locks, Destro for DPS for me sucks at 85 because so many instances / raids are movement oriented and Destro and moving around is impossible)

Deleted
    Efficiencywise prob affliction with demo as an offspec.

I did 80-85 as destro and got realm first(warlock that is) though. So destro is pretty awesome aswell. All the specs should be pretty close. But affli is def more efficient on the lower levels.

Probably Affl 10-80, then destro 80-85. Since the mobs above 80 have tons of health, and the ones under for the gear you'll have, not so much.

thanks, for the positive responses!

as you can see from the answers, we all have different ways of doing it. i levelled to 85 with demo, but i find affli very comfortable, with less down time compared to demo. destro i feel rather uprotected, by shadowfury is useful. not sure what level you get that at though.

as soon as you can, get the http://www.wowhead.com/spell=64311 as that helps massively. basically, i'd say try it all out, see which you get on best with. demo allows me to take on elites, to do group quests on my own, but i have to soul harvest quite a bit, whereas affli lets me just keep on going. have fun

Affliction by far for AoE grinding (which includes most kill quests). Destro for dungeons.

My own experience, currently leveling a lock (lvl 36).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by madyaks View Post

(but I will say this and I am sure get slammed by some really good locks, Destro for DPS for me sucks at 85 because so many instances / raids are movement oriented and Destro and moving around is impossible)
    Slam inc heh :P

Right, destro is quite stand still dependent however u have a lot of things u can do on the go such as reapplying corruption, bane of doom, life taping and fel flame. The clever use of your portal reduces the amount of movement you will need to do. For example on atramedes i put my portal say at 6 o clock and the whole raid is around 11 o clock whenever he does the breath thing i just portal regardless of it being me and continue to nuke. Just move when ur doing instant like conflag and corrupt and its fine. I've played destro for 3 years now and current at 12/12 and 5/13 atm. I don't have any problems with movement :P

Deleted
    Well I guess that in the end it all comes down to what you feel most comfortable playing. There is no point playing spec that you don't like. It only slows you down.

But as for what is the best for leveling...It kind of depends what you are doing. With some heirlooms on you could go affliction and target - corruption - target - corruption and everything dies before they hit you. Also even if the mobs happen to hit you your Soul Siphon should overheal it. Mana shouldn't really be problem as affliction either since Soul Siphon should overheal your life taps too.

As for elite mobs....If it's some of those "oh this guy was elite? lol" mobs affliction works well with the self heals. At least on later levels when you get haunt. Also Drain Life should keep you up. But if it's some of those little harder elites like the onslaught commander in Dragonblight, I would strongly suggest demonology. Pet tanking and you healing. Ain't as fast but at least there is no need to waste 30 mins finding group for the mobs =D Of course you can start nuking the elite with everything you got when your pet has some threat on it, after you overaggro just soul shatter and....I guess that's it.

There's nothing wrong with leveling as demo either. Sure the amount of mana spend is greater than afflictions but who doesn't like pulling 30 mobs at once and AoEing them all down with metamorphosis and felguard^^ On normal mobs affliction is still faster if you just keep chain pulling like mad.

Some people like leveling as desto....I think it's ok on higher levels but on lower levels the amount of mana you use is little too high for my taste. Also destro ain't too good on survival talents. Only thing you could actually call a survival talent is Nether ward. Bah...no I sound like I would be a destro hater QQ. But no. I actually love destro for it's dps atm. But for leveling I wouldn't pick it before the higher levels.

Hope this wall of text helped you out a little^^ Enjoy leveling your warlock <3

I'm level 78 and I've gone Afflock the whole way. I love being able to get a quest ("Kill X of Y"), find the mods, and start Dotting them down. Soul Swap is your best friend, and at later levels, if you find the right spot, Soulburn: Seed of Corruption can pwn because in only a few seconds, you've tapped a dozen mobs, but with Fel Armor and Drain Life, they all die before you do.

I've tried Destro, but it felt too much like a Pyro Mage for me to truly enjoy, but I'd like to give it another shot when I get to 80. But losing my "run into town, dot everything, PROFIT" abilities of Afflock will be hard to overcome

10+ Year Old Account
    Affliction. No stop. No down-time. You don't have to drink or eat whatsoever, just keep going. Always used Affliction for leveling, also when I went from 0/41/30 (WotLK-spec) to Affliction and leveled 80-85, I liked affliction so much I stuck to it. Now I'm doubled-specced for Affliction and been ever since Cataclysm hit. ;0

lolol u mad bro? or just jelly

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say Demo. Have your lawnmower Felguard take care of all your needs and problems.

see my sig