Wanting to try Feral PvP

Hey fellow shapeshifters!

So, throughout my WoW history, my focus has always been PvE primarily. With recent guild drama and a general feeling of "wtf am I doing on this game", I'm looking to maybe get into an aspect of the game that I've never been too interested in: PvP.

I've got a few questions:
    1) I managed to snag the five main Bloodthirsty PvP pieces right after launch due to some Tol Barad goodness. It's been sitting in my bank gathering dust for months. It's gemmed for agility or agility/mastery. Is mastery a viable stat to pursue for PvP or should I focus on getting resilience first and foremost?
    2) Should I be trying to just pick people off by myself or join in team fights and otherwise stay stealthed?
    3) I'm planning on getting into this with the assistance of my brother, who plays a Ret Paladin, and our friend, who plays a Resto Druid. The other druid is really good about CCing and rooting folks; is that something I need to do as well? How dangerous is it to switch in and out of forms to do that?
    4) My current spec is totally for PvE. My off-spec is for Boomkin, but I never get a chance to use it so I'd probably dump the Boomkin thing and make a second Feral spec, with focus for PvP talents. What are those talents? What do I definitely need to get vs what isn't so necessary?

I'm not looking to jump right into arenas or rated BGs or anything that serious. I'd focus on doing Tol Barad and regular random BGs first to get Honor for gear. Am I going to suck totally because I'm such a newbie? Will my PvE focus destroy my ability to think for myself? Has anyone else made a shift (no pun intended.. lolshapeshifting) from PvE to PvP and found it enjoyable?

Deleted
    Hey there kitty bro,

A few answers for you:
    1) Your 2 main stats should be Agi whenever possible, then Resilience whenever possible (there are exceptions like double dps 2's, but it's a good solid rule of thumb). After that, mastery is plain awesome, followed by crit and haste last. The reason haste is last is because in a pvp environment, dps matters less than short burst, so you can gameplay around energy regen as opposed to what you do in pve.

2) Basically you should practice whatever you like, but a good starting point is to focus on getting that working:
    - open stealthed on a dude for example in tol barad, get your 5 combo points, rip him, and then insta-cyclone his buddy before coming back up on dude 1.
    - practice going to bear to survive, nature's grasp, getting away while lifeblooming you waiting for an "end combat" then stealth and open again.
    - practice as long as you feel too much of an adrenaline "rush" just before pvp. Like with everything, to be good, you need to be calm. Everybody feels stressed even opening on a poor bastard who's just fishing at first. It's normal, and it goes away. It's important you reach that stage.

3) the main 3 uses of your Predator Swiftness procs are typically: cyclone, healing touch (generally on you) and roots. Yes, you need to practice that shit until you get in down. In arena, you sometimes need to hardcast cyclone. It's ok, it's the good play.

4) Go check the armory of Miirkat for example. In the guild Peekay. He is an excellent feral who makes videos that are well done and educational. Youtube/Google him, that should help out tons in the beginning. You can also check out Zybak, he is another really good feral vid-maker.

/roar

Epic, thank you much for the tips/suggestions.

Another thing: I generally disregard the Predator's Swiftness procs (because of my PvE focus).. is there an addon or even something within Blizzard's default UI that yells at me that it's procced?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragekitty View Post
    Epic, thank you much for the tips/suggestions.

Another thing: I generally disregard the Predator's Swiftness procs (because of my PvE focus).. is there an addon or even something within Blizzard's default UI that yells at me that it's procced?
    Power Auras
    http://www.wowinterface.com/download...asClassic.html

Easy to set up and will allow you to track practically anything else that comes to mind.

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

--- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Deleted
    Hiernate can also be used as a instant with the ps proc. I use the addon droodfocus to track my buffs it also shows you when you have ps active

Deleted
    There is a much simpler solution than Power Auras (which you may like, but is definitely not mandatory to play feral). It's a small and reliable addon (also exist as a macro, it's just less convenient to use) coded by a dude from AJ. Here is the topic:

TEH TOPIC

This addon does only one thing: it gives you a visual effect when you get a PS proc. And it's awesome, as there are very few situations where you want to ignore that proc. Most of the time, the 13-20k healing you get from a single healing touch is worth shifting. But of course, the instant CC is really where it shines.

EDIT: for credit purpose, the wonderful PS addon has been designed and coded by Midna.
    Last edited by mmoc11bc1aaf58; 2011-04-15 at 09:51 AM.