Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Am I growing out of WoW?

I started playing WoW in November 2006, freshman year of high school. Now it's April 2011... I am bored as all get out. Sometimes days I don't even bother playing, when I have had the desire to log on it's never been for more than hour. I haven't tanked a daily in more than a month. I just don't give a crap anymore.

It's starting to feel like I've been wasting my life with World of Warcraft. I was never a hardcore player, but I did play quite a bit. I've begun enjoying things I never really did before or just forgot- reading the newspaper and doing the crossword/sudoku, going to the library, playing normal video games, watching TV, even going outside. There's a park within walking distance of our apartment and I want to start exercising for the first time in my life. I found out about the local arts foundation and we may start going to plays/concerts. Not to mention I will starting college this fall.

Am I getting too old for WoW, or is it just another dry spell? I guess I'm tired of being the stereotypical overweight 19-something who plays WoW. Perhaps it is time to move on... I don't know. Sorry if this sounds emo-ish but perhaps one of you fine folks could help me resolve this dilemma.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think you are really getting too old. Really you have just played the game for nearly 5 years, and after playing anything for 5 years it won't have all of the same fun that it once did.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-Signature by Winter Blossom-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Deleted
    If you enjoyed the game in free time AND (this is where most go wrong) gave prio to real life matters if needed over WoW you did not waste you're time. Life is there to have fun..you need set priority and follow it and than you should be fine.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Almost everything has a shelf life in life. Some things pique our interest for a day or two; other things occupy our thoughts for years. But in the end, most things will eventually move out of our lives.

You're heading into college -- you'll find a ton of things to do while there, hopefully studying will be one of them. And hey, WoW's gonna be here if you ever feel the need to pick up an old and familiar hobby. Use this time before college starts to become less of the stereotypical overweight 19-something and aim to become a stereotypical in-shape 20-something that really enjoys college for all it's worth.

Whas there to resolve?
    Your getting bored of wow and realizing it's not entertain you anymore so look into other activities lime you are. I only play when I raid or when I do some AH. Looks like it's time for yOu to move on.
    This bro quit the game but still loves the game and will be back for MoP!

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You've played for a long time, It gets old. It happens to all of us

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerieadk View Post
    I don't think you are really getting too old. Really you have just played the game for nearly 5 years, and after playing anything for 5 years it won't have all of the same fun that it once did.
    This. It sounds like we are around the same age. I started playing in 2006, and now that my first year of college is almost done. I just have less and less of a desire to play. I generally log on to raid two nights a week and that's about it.

sounds to me like you need to play more hardcore. join a raiding guild or grow a pvpeeeeenis

10+ Year Old Account
    off topic: Ulgaan ... best ... avatar ... ever

on topic: nah dude, its like others have said ... 5 years in ANYTHING and it might become stale

15+ Year Old Account
    a lot of people are feeling this kind of feeling, it's not necessarily you that's the issue, it's that wrath made it possible to fill the void of boredom by making it easier to pug raids and there were 2 separate lockouts for raids, here in cata the void of boredom still exists but there is no filler anymore, so a lot of people are leaving, cause on top of a lot of veteran players playing for a long time, there no longer is any extreme moments of enjoyment connected to the game any longer
    Unfortunately, until the people at Blizzard take time to quit explaining why they are right and anyone who disagrees is wrong, they are not going to even hear everyone speaking out desperately trying to warn them the ship is sinking.
    the problems driving players from WoW aren't content or the age of the game, the problem is how the game experience and design philosophy are being undermined by Blizzard's hubris and greed.

Stood in the Fire Texan Penguin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always had my priorities- I have plenty of friends, graduated with a 3.3 GPA, was a top-notch English/History student, even got into Indiana University, although I had to sacrifice that dream due to family problems. I just never really enjoyed all that life had to offer.

And Trogg, thanks. I'm a coffee freak, and I love Futurama. It fits.

Welcome to the adult-world \o

It happens, I feel like I'm in the same boat as you. But with my spouse playing and occasionally leveling with me it's still a little hard to give up the time I put into the game even though I'm.. "eh" about it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about changes or anything of the sort.. it's just.. a long time lol
    ☼Tanks are the earth. Healers are the sun. DPS are the asteroids bouncing around the universe asking if anyone saw how they wiped out those dinosaurs.☼
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    As much as I'd like to screw every single one of you, no, we don't "screw the majority".

You should try to fix the overweight thing, but other than that...I generally don't play WoW during the semester and by the time finals are over I CRAVE playing it. And believe me, I've been bored as hell of this game, and I've said that "I quit" at least 4 times; I even sold one of my accounts. But I haven't managed to find a better game and I keep coming back. Oh and women are over rated, just thought I'd throw that in if it comes up as a possible substitute :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Coming from a person who is also overweight, and is bored of wow as well and is playing normal games and is exercising a bit more such as riding the bicycle, no there is nothing wrong with you. You are probably bored of wow and will probably be returning. From my perspective, this is the first time in my life, like yours as well, where you actually are saying to yourself, whats the point of playing this game. If I don't enjoy it, then its time to move on.

Although I do have confidence issues due to my appearance not being the best, I can safely say keep on going with what you are doing. As well, if you are taking extra lengths, I suggest saying goodbye to your friends in wow and tell them you will probably be returning in 1-2 years.

Growing out? Hardly.
    Because instead of words like "getting tired" or "burning out", you decided to use smugly-implicit phrase "growing out", essentially implying that other people who still enjoy the game haven't "grown up" yet and that true adult can't enjoy this game. Not a very mature thing to say really.

I'm sorry if you didn't actually mean that.
    To your question, from my own experience, I get tired of WoW usually after one month of heavy playing. I burn out very quickly, but I also start missing it very soon, so I end up dumping my subscription every few months, just to reactivate it few months later.
    Last edited by namelessone; 2011-04-16 at 02:45 AM.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I would actually say, World of Warcraft is a game that you aren't growing out of. Just getting bored of it. 90% of the game is the social aspect of it, and how you interact with one another, either through Pvp, PvE, RP, etc. So I would say you're just getting bored

Haven't read many responses in this thread...

Simple question: Do you play with the same toys that you did when you were six years-old?

It's perfectly normal for a person's tastes and personality to drastically change during adolescence well into your 20's.

It is a commonly accepted fact that most scientific, artistic, and musical breakthroughs are brought into being by people younger than 27. The reason this is true is that by the time you reach ~28 years-old you are basically set in your beliefs, tastes, and personality with only slight changes occurring around the edges.

Most revolutionary thought and change is born in the age of adolescent thought and challenging of authority. You're just turning into your parents is all.

Don't feel bad. I listen to NPR now every day as I drive to work.

I've been playing since 04' (I'm 17 now, do the math), and I've gotten bored of the game not because of how old I am now, it's just because I've been playing for so damn long, I've taken two breaks from the game since I've started playing (each for about a year), and the next time I decide to quit, it's probably going to be forever.

You're not bored of WoW because of how old you've gotten, you're bored because you've been playing the same game for years, try taking a couple months long break from the game or try getting another hobby like exercising, or reading, or anything else, having more than one thing you do regularly can get you more interested in things you've gotten bored of, at least went that way for me, although I might be weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Encarn View Post
    Haven't read many responses in this thread...

Simple question: Do you play with the same toys that you did when you were six years-old?

It's perfectly normal for a person's tastes and personality to drastically change during adolescence well into your 20's.

It is a commonly accepted fact that most scientific, artistic, and musical breakthroughs are brought into being by people younger than 27. The reason this is true is that by the time you reach ~28 years-old you are basically set in your beliefs, tastes, and personality with only slight changes occurring around the edges.

Most revolutionary thought and change is born in the age of adolescent thought and challenging of authority. You're just turning into your parents is all.

Don't feel bad. I listen to NPR now every day as I drive to work.
    There are literally millions of people that have been playing video games their entire lives (since the 80s, or 90s for example), video games are kinda like books, music, tv, etc, you don't really "grow" out of them, now what kind of music/etc you like definitely changes over time though.
    Last edited by Bytes; 2011-04-16 at 02:56 AM.

your just getting tired. most things lose their glamor over time. I reached my pinnacle 2 years ago. I play cata about 1/4 of my blank time (3/4 is starcraft) and i tend to enjoy a long walk with my dogs. a great book to read. newspaper. Science discussion And last but not least cooking (one of the habits that i believe can be lifelong