Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

What did/do you study?

So... What did/do you study?

Im at the point where i have 3 weeks of gymnasium, guess its high school for americans, anyway, its my 13th year of school...
    And i dunno what to study afterwords, my main subject is Biology but u cannot use that anywhere do to some stupid changes, u either need Math on A level or Biotech on A, which was made a subject a year after i started... I have math on B level and English on A so that opens up some and closes others...

All university is free in my country, even recieve 1000 $ a month while studying when i move away from home which i will do when a free apartment shows up, but i dunno what to study... I could take medicine but that means i need to take Math A, Chemestry B, and Physics B classes since had those on B and C level, Stuff with software also requires Math A - on the other hand i could also study law where i could get in since my grades are above the average quotaes and i got the different levels i need

Basically i can choose exactly what i want to study... but i dont know what

What did or do you study - and what do u think would be a nice area of study?

15+ Year Old Account
    Im going to astro physics next year, i just need some math and physics courses first, then im good to go
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    Im going to astro physics next year, i just need some math and physics courses first, then im good to go
    how long is it and whats the opportunities afterwords?

I plan on studying biomolecular engineering next year in the fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    I wouldn't take that too lightly, the physics you have to learn is going to get pretty abstract. I took a more "modern" physics course dealing with particles, some basic quantum mechanics, etc. Going deep into that is not going to be an easy task at all.

electrical engineering =)

Looking to go in to mechanical engineering. Preferably with weapons *rubs hands*.
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Razdornwaz View Post
    I plan on studying biomolecular engineering next year in the fall.
    i was thinking about that too... and even though im one of the best biology students in my country... i find biology a bit boring

Deleted
    I study biotechnology, but I still want to go with my plan A - to study medicine (to be a doctor), I only need to pass the exams, that are after high school in Poland, with more points. Yes, I'm taking the exams for the second time in my life.

Right now i'm studying at a buisness school. 2 years in school, and after that, 2 years out working in a store, or on a office.
    H E R O E S

\ "When I was a kid ... I used to wish some stranger would come and tell me my family wasn't really my family. They weren't bad people, they were just ... insignificant. And I wanted to be different. Special. I wanted to change. A new name, a new life. The watchmaker's son ... became a watchmaker. It is so futile. And I wanted to be ... important." \
    Sylar

finance, economics and law. as long as you are studying what you like you shouldnt worry about opportunities.

I took a course in massage therapy (USA course, so not as in depth and long as many other countries, but it was still a solid 1 year course.)

I intend on going back to school once I have some money saved up. Gonna start with a bartenders license, then hopefully get into a pre-med course and work on getting a medical doctorate. After that, I'll go back and get a psychology degree, and follow that up with degrees in architecture, engineering, astrophysics, biology, horticulture, mathematics, and a few other degrees. Eventually leading to my final goal of designing and building a space station/space cruiser/bitchin space ship. Though I suppose it would be more efficient to hire people in those fields, it would be less gratifying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Print based graphics although next year will be doing web design. After that another 2 year college for A levels in English (maybe), CCNA, ICT and something else...

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Astronomy is my fav of all subjects and under that is Chemistry, im a big science freak. I would love to do Astronomy as a career, but i believe its easier to find a job as a chemist.

Which field of chem im going to do im not sure yet, there are many of them

to name a few:

anesthesiology
    metallurgy
    bio
    organic/inorganic
    nuclear

Astrochem might be a cool field to go to. I'm in my senior year of HS and i'm researching the different areas.

Quote Originally Posted by drukai View Post
    I took a course in massage therapy (USA course, so not as in depth and long as many other countries, but it was still a solid 1 year course.)

I intend on going back to school once I have some money saved up. Gonna start with a bartenders license, then hopefully get into a pre-med course and work on getting a medical doctorate. After that, I'll go back and get a psychology degree, and follow that up with degrees in architecture, engineering, astrophysics, biology, horticulture, mathematics, and a few other degrees. Eventually leading to my final goal of designing and building a space station/space cruiser/bitchin space ship. Though I suppose it would be more efficient to hire people in those fields, it would be less gratifying.
    You are going to spend your whole life in school.

I am currently finishing a Bachelor of Science degree in Meteorology. I am also half-way through my B.S in Geology as well...and I plan to attend Graduate school in the near future. Btw, east NC is getting hit so hard by tornadic storms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ershiin View Post
    Oh.. My.. God..
    This is petty beyond belief.

Why dont we start complaining about how M&Ms should be color coded while we're at it?
    Or how it should be called a Burger with Cheese because Cheeseburger is misleading?

Deleted
    Agronomy, someone has to take care of the family farm sooner or later.

Quote Originally Posted by Razdornwaz View Post
    You are going to spend your whole life in school.
    That's kinda the point. How many ladies wouldn't buckle at the knees for a master chef/massage therapist/doctor/mad scientist?

I studied history and psychology; however, that doesn't sound remotely close to anything you'd like to study and what set yourself up for (it IS good for law though).

My question to you is: what subjects did/do you like in high school? (I'm assuming you're in Germany from your description) This isn't something to take lightly and asking on the forums on what to do is probably not the best course of action. Have you specifically researched any fields that interest you? Have you seen what job opportunities/fields you have once getting a degree in said area? Look and see if they are a growing job field or stagnated (you aren't in the US so this might not be a problem for you right now like it is for us)

You said that they did changes to the curriculum after you had entered, can you see if you somehow fall under a grandfather clause and are exempt? Some Uni's if you explain the changes might be more forgiving. It just looks like you went "well crap, they changed the requirements for my program that I wanted... so I'll just do anything at this point." (I could be wrong, of course)

As for things that involve biology or something that involves a lot of math or science here are some fields I thought of:

Engineering: This can be from civil engineering all the way to chemical engineering. You might personally want to look into genetic engineering because you like biology, and possibly chemical engineering. Nuclear engineering field is also growing (at least in the US) because of the world's ever growing need for alternative fuel and power sources.

Chemistry: I think this is self explanatory. However, this could have you doing a lot of lab work for a multitude of companies. It could be from food, to dyes, or even figuring out if you can improve X's formula, pretty much anything really.

Physics: Again, self explanatory. But there's astro-physics which is astronomy and physics. A lot of this would be government work actually (again, at least in the US) and space agencies. It also has a wide range of job opportunities.

Math: Could be you just want a "simple" math degree, however most of the time in the US that only gets you teaching jobs for the most
    part.

Sorry for the really long post, I hope this helps!
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid

Deleted
    Edit: What the guy/girl above me said. (please don't state the obvious)

I used to love biology/anatomy I still do. But a weird thing happened one day. I was studying the basics of the human brain, i found i had a curiosity for how it worked beyond the physical part of it.I was about 12 when i heard first of psychology.I didn't think much of it back then, but as i moved through high school I became more and more interested.

Now I'm in my final year at a university of psychology and i Still love it. ( big exams this year).Heh, you could say it was a lifelong dream of mine to study this. I never did it for the money and will never do it only for money.

But I am in your difficulty as well.I have to branch out now. I have a lot of choices, do i become a therapist do i go into human resources will I go into Psychoanalysis, social psychology etc....

I would recommend going to a career counselor with your own options. He will help you choose your path based on your choices way of life personality, desires, and potential for a domain.You don't have to blindly follow what she/he will say but it will be a valuable insight into your own person

P.S. I say hello to everybody who studies/studied psychology. I know there are quite a few of you on Mmo-champ forums.Don't think you're hard to notice.
    Last edited by mmocb2d4e83f73; 2011-04-16 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Because i'm awesome