Page 1 of 2
LastLast

WoW Graphics vs FFXI Graphics

so i played both games and to be honest The graphics in ffxi are much more detailed than wow, armor, the enivorments are much better in ffxi.. what do ya'll think

10+ Year Old Account
    ill agree with you... FFXI had a bit more realness to it... I miss playing that game so much

Wow was made so that people could play it with a monitor plugged into rocks. FFXI was made so people could quit because it was terrible.

And yet, gameplay wise, FFXI is terrible to play. A menu-driven combat system in a PC gaming world does NOT work.

Graphics FAR from make a game. I'd play a game that was in 8-bit, but had challenge and gameplay, over something in fully immersive 3D, that lacked those elements. When a game cannot be enjoyed, due to lacking gameplay or story, it's not worth touching.

What game doesn't have better graphics than WoW?

Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Runescape. ;D

FF games are some of my favorite, but they fail hardcore in the MMO department.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doylez View Post
    Considering how art design is the most important aspect of graphics, and WoW has some of the best art design in the business, I'd say most games.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    CS:S, Wolfenstein, Worms.
    CSS has better graphics than WoW.

EDIT: Just to clarify, don't compare the maps like dust and d2 that were released with the game in 2004. The new additions that came with E1 and E2 to the editor have improved the quality quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    CS:S, Wolfenstein, Worms.
    Is that really saying much?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm View Post
    It's not that drugs are for people who can't handle reality. Reality is for people who can't handle drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    When a game cannot be enjoyed, due to lacking gameplay or story, it's not worth touching.
    hope u wasnt talking about ffxi there... cause that game had a great story and the combat system was pretty fun if u had a controller

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelcrespo85 View Post
    hope u wasnt talking about ffxi there... cause that game had a great story and the combat system was pretty fun if u had a controller
    lol FFXI was terrible. I hugged onto it at first but as soon as someone convinced me to try WoW I just through FFXI in the garbage, because that's when I realized that's what it really was. The only thing that was better in FFXI than WoW, was that you were allowed to gamble.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    And yet, gameplay wise, FFXI is terrible to play. A menu-driven combat system in a PC gaming world does NOT work.

Graphics FAR from make a game. I'd play a game that was in 8-bit, but had challenge and gameplay, over something in fully immersive 3D, that lacked those elements. When a game cannot be enjoyed, due to lacking gameplay or story, it's not worth touching.
    sounds like you got one shotted by a little bunnie ^_^. too hard for ya =P

FFXI was one of the best gameplay out there. just because you fanbois love key bashing doesn't make the game terrible.

10+ Year Old Account
    FFXI was meant for a different play-style entirely. First of all, FFXI's initial intention was to be played on the console, thus controller. It's pretty hard to have an MMO not on computers though. FFXI is also Japanese-style grind-type play, where you basically just kill mobs and chat with people, very good times. There was a great story there too, lots of nifty quests that didn't have a "!" over their head that you had to go and find, etc. Dynamis really creeped me out for some reason. They could actually add more fun content to the game without destroying your previous "progression" or raising the level cap! :P

Honestly, I know most people here don't but I loved FFXI because the community was the best. People I met on there years ago I am still great friends with, can't really say the same about WoW for the most part. You couldn't solo past a certain point, and if you were a jerk most people would quickly find out and you wouldn't have a group which meant no leveling for you. The limit breaks also was a good noob-obstacle. I loved it. :P I really regret quitting but, I guess all things must end..

As far as the graphics, I loved them. I like the brighter colors and it still looked realistic. Stuff like Rift and Warhammer Online looked too.. dark. If that makes any sense? The armor was great, when you saw someone in AF2 (at least back in my day) it was like.. whoa! Everyone didn't look the same! And you knew what the awesome armors looked like!

I really wish WoW would re-do a lot of the older graphics. Female tauren need some love like nobody's business, and I think the female trolls and orcs could use some more hairstyles.. I'm totally a girl, sorry.
    "The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" - George Carlin

Cuz Good graphics == good game.

Its been proven many times over and in the long run, people prefer games with better gameplay than better graphics,
    Sure playing games with amazing graphics like Crysis2 etc is fun, but gameplay always wtfpwns in the long run.

WoW, cs1,6 , W3, Sc1!!!!, etc are all good examples.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchas View Post

FFXI was one of the best gameplay out there. just because you fanbois love key bashing doesn't make the game terrible.
    lol so true

10+ Year Old Account
    FFXI had better CHARACTER textures. The armor, the faces, the spells, etc were much more detailed. The landscapes and towns on the other hand were horrible and bland. Most of the game was brown or gray in the original expansions. The original reason I made the switch from XI to WoW in the first place was because of the difference in color. You can take a 5 minute flight path over Kalimdor and see more color in that one flight than 6 years of end game content in FFXI will show you. I'd know, I'm a 6.5 year vet.

The only thing I really preferred in XI was the armor designs. The fact that they actually had shape, as opposed to being spray painted onto the body, like every non-shoulder armor in WoW. That, I'll admit, I do miss.

instead of

Yes, the WoW version is still very detailed, but it has no shape. It's basically just crayons on the wallpaper.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Man I loved sitting around waiting for a "camp" to open up in a zone just so I could level, or even better I can't wait till some ass hat decides to train a goblin bomber through the jungle and wipe my group thus negating all this leveling I've been attempting to do *which isn't so fast because well it's crowded*

OR EVEN BETTER I L-O-V-E-D having to either A) spend stupid amounts of gil to get an upgrade or B) camp a "rare spawn" for hours upon hours upon hours upon which some whitemage spamming dia beats me to it thus wasting my entire weekend.

Yes I'm bitter, It was fun at first but WoW is a much better game. (also boss fights that can in theory take hours are not fun)

FFXI sucked complete balls for the combat system. Not user friendly (I played before the xbox release, moved to wow just after it came out). Even though wow has an inferior graphics style, it beat ffxi hand down in every other aspect.

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    World of Warcraft suited with better graphics won't be the same. I actually think that the graphics are one of the reasons why I've played it for so long. World of Warcraft is World of Warcraft. If it had better graphics from the start, who knows what would've happened. My computer could barely run the game back then in crowded areas, and it were the same for so many others.

So many games have fallen into the pit of just being to focused on graphics. Something I doubt Blizzard would ever do. And at the same time I think Blizzard wanted World of Warcraft and the Warcraft series to bond in more ways to just lore. If for instance humans actually looked like ... well, humans would do, in a way you know from for instance FFXI or Far Cry from those days, you wouldn't be able to see the resemblance between the Warcraft series and World of Warcraft.

I'm not sure if my comment made sense, but to me it did. So, good night :-)

10+ Year Old Account

I've completed every pre-Wings of the Goddess content in the game. I'd still agree that the auto-lock, autofacing, stillframe combat that only required you to pay attention to your fight once every 45 seconds (outside of extreme xp chain grinding groups) was still dull and boring. To put it in a more understandable light, you could never take a real-time fraps video of FFXI and make it appeal to a non-FFXI player. It looks slow and boring. Hell, half of it looks like it's in slow motion. (Which is pretty much the way it feels to play.)

It's a fun, very successful game, but there's no reason to pull your adolescent, failed schoolyard superiority crap because someone didn't enjoy standing still and watching their character play FOR them.

{Please, forgive me.} {I'm busy.} {Take care.}
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.