10+ Year Old Account

Touching up a paint scrape on my car. (pictures)

***UPDATE BELOW***

A week or two after I bought this car, I scraped it on my garage door frame. Very stupid, I realize.

This up coming weekend, I finally have some spare time to attempt to tackle this unsightly scrape and the rust that it is creating. But I would like to know just what I need for this DIY job. As far as I know, I'll need the following

1. 2000 grit sandpaper
    2. sanding block
    3. Paint (It is Dragongreen VW paint)
    4. clear coat
    5. Primer (?)

And as far as I know, these are the steps that I will need to take.

- Clean exterior, and allow to completely dry
    - Sand off the white paint transfer (from the garage door frame).
    - Sand off rust
    - Sand the entire surface smooth
    - apply primer
    - Apply paint
    - Apply clear coat.

Is there anything that I might be missing? or anything I could do without? any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by Twiggy; 2011-04-28 at 08:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as your methods, they look alright. But those scratches look pretty deep. Probably wont be able to sand it smooth. 2k grit is waaay too smooth initially. Start out at a lower grit to get the paint out, then work up.

I don't think that it will turn out very good though as a DIY. Even if you use a good air sprayer you still got to get the right air/paint mixture to have it come out nice and even with the cars paint. Not to mention that you would need the exact paint code for it to look remotely like the current paint.

Wont hurt to google how many coats you should do also, and how to do the coats.

Your going to need some painters tape and paper. Sand down to the metal about 1 inch around the entire area of damage. Then prime and paint and clear coat. Then wax it a few times.

Depending on some of that rust, you may need some putty as well, but that is only if it is really deep.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I'll need any putty for this job. There was zero rust there before I scraped it. So I imagine it's just surface rust that can be sanded off.

On the other hand, there's a place just above the license plate (a very, very common place for Mk3 Golfs to rust) that has a small amount of rust about the size of my pinky nail bubbling up underneath the paint which I'm sure I would have to fill in with putty.

Wish me luck!. I guess I couldn't make it look any worse.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I figured I'd do an update for kicks.

$30~ worth of 60, 400 & 800 grit sandpaper, primer, paint, clear coat and a hell of a lot of elbow grease.

It definitely doesn't look any worse!