Thread: Good MMORPGs?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Good MMORPGs?

I've recently stopped playing WoW, and I'm looking for a new MMO. I'm thinking about trying Forsaken World or Diablo 3, but I don't know if they'll be any good. Any pointers?

Diablo 3 is not released yet.
    Diablo 3 is not an MMORPG.

RIFT is good with a good comp.
    LOTRO is good with a good comp and if you don't mind limited end game.

Besides that, the MMORPG genre sucks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheideor View Post
    RIFT is good with a good comp.
    LOTRO is good with a good comp and if you don't mind limited end game.

Besides that, the MMORPG genre sucks.
    Personally I quite liked the LOTRO style of game now it is F2P. You can farm for points for free and buy expansions and items without paying real money (as long as you are willing to play for it).

I love the "work hard for it" kinda feel, same feel as runescape.

If you enjoyed WoW but just want to move on, I believe you might find rift a bit half complete compared to WoW. WoW is a complete polished game and they have so many features, rift is new so its yet to be built on like WoW has. I got frustrated with how many things were missing in Rift.
    Its a good looking game, and the talent system is great, but apart from rifts and graphics the game isn't quite there yet.

No good MMOs out right now! Just play NBA 2K11/StarCraft II

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would wait for GW2 and play a non-MMORPG until then.

Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by clampy View Post
    Personally I quite liked the LOTRO style of game now it is F2P. You can farm for points for free and buy expansions and items without paying real money (as long as you are willing to play for it).

I love the "work hard for it" kinda feel, same feel as runescape.

If you enjoyed WoW but just want to move on, I believe you might find rift a bit half complete compared to WoW. WoW is a complete polished game and they have so many features, rift is new so its yet to be built on like WoW has. I got frustrated with how many things were missing in Rift.
    Its a good looking game, and the talent system is great, but apart from rifts and graphics the game isn't quite there yet.
    You enjoyed Lotro, however find Rift incomplete?
    Besides missing a couple of the new "enhancements" of WoW. You know, all the WotLK crap that inevitably damned the game, Rift is missing nothing. Guild quests, Rifts, full on raids, 1st content patch 3 weeks after launch, not mention, if something is "incomplete" the devs make up for it tenfold with in game assistance(nearly instant) and rewards for the trouble, amazing character customization, armor dye from day 1, numerous ways to gain endgame gear, and advancement. Id say comparing 1st month Rift to even 4th year WoW, Rift has taken this round. WoW is only still the champ because after almost 7 years, and billions of dollars, it finally learns from its mistakes.

Lotro was the deadest ghost town of a game i have ever played. With its whopping selection of very stiff limited classes and choppy combat system, its hardly a surprise it went F2P.
    Rift is definetly worth the try, but dont believe me? Ask the over 1 million people with active subscribed accounts before it even released, or try one of the free weekend passes( just add Rift game on FB or Twitter.
    Signature too large...

Minecraft Multiplayer...

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewto...=1025&t=276930

one of the largest multiplayer servers there is...

At this point I think I'd sooner let someone pick out my wife than my MMO. People get crazy about the games they don't like and why. You've got some time before the next wave of really big games, like GW2 and D3(not a mmo, but HUGE timesink). Plenty of time for a 6 month sub into a game if you like it for the moment. Best advice I can offer is look at what each game has thats attracting people to it and see if you share the same priorities in what you play.

Quote Originally Posted by angelace View Post
    Besides missing a couple of the new "enhancements" of WoW. You know, all the WotLK crap that inevitably damned the game, Rift is missing nothing. Guild quests, Rifts, full on raids, 1st content patch 3 weeks after launch, not mention, if something is "incomplete" the devs make up for it tenfold with in game assistance(nearly instant) and rewards for the trouble, amazing character customization, armor dye from day 1, numerous ways to gain endgame gear, and advancement. Id say comparing 1st month Rift to even 4th year WoW, Rift has taken this round. WoW is only still the champ because after almost 7 years, and billions of dollars, it finally learns from its mistakes.

Lotro was the deadest ghost town of a game i have ever played. With its whopping selection of very stiff limited classes and choppy combat system, its hardly a surprise it went F2P.
    Rift is definetly worth the try, but dont believe me? Ask the over 1 million people with active subscribed accounts before it even released, or try one of the free weekend passes( just add Rift game on FB or Twitter.
    You know... a content patch is when you add a new raid, new items, new battlegrounds, etc.

Not bug fixes and nerfs, and a world event that they flipped the switch on.
    Last edited by Deyadissa; 2011-04-17 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    You know... a content patch is when you add a new raid, new items, new battlegrounds, etc.

Not bug fixes and nerfs, and a world event that they flipped the switch on.
    They added over 100 new items to first tier raiding instances and expert dungeons. And with the same patch added River of Souls raid instance. SO, it was a content patch.
    Signature too large...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampd413 View Post
    I would wait for Star Wars: The Old Republic and play a non-MMORPG until then.
    Fixed with my opinion.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Deleted

And you know why it's missing nothing? Because it took everything WoW implemented and put it into their game. What people who say "LOL RIFT is a much better game it just hasn't had time to develop" don't remember is that Rift was released 6 years after WoW, and WoW is still arguably the better game, with a 6 year old engine.

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLove View Post
    And you know why it's missing nothing? Because it took everything WoW implemented and put it into their game. What people who say "LOL RIFT is a much better game it just hasn't had time to develop" don't remember is that Rift was released 6 years after WoW, and WoW is still arguably the better game, with a 6 year old engine.
    I wouldn't argue that. I played WoW for 5 years, and for a new player, WoW is almost definitely still the best choice. I loved WoW and invested thousands in it and WoW memorabilia. However, to think Rift took things from WoW, and WoW did not do the same, is extremely short sighted. The MMO industry, perhaps more than most, build upon each other. Always fixing each others flaws and design mistakes. Just as WoW did with Ultima, Runescape, and Everquest, even its own franchise of Diablo. I do feel Rift "stole" a lot of great ideas from other games, but also had to weed out the things that did not work so well, like dungeon finders, and authenticators, etc. And i look forward to the next game to arrive that does just the same and "rips off" other successful MMOs to make a hybrid, Frankenstein of a game.
    Signature too large...

Rift is fun, don't feed the trolls. Also Flyff has some very engaging gameplay elements to it.

I wouldn't argue that. I played WoW for 5 years, and for a new player, WoW is almost definitely still the best choice. I loved WoW and invested thousands in it and WoW memorabilia. However, to think Rift took things from WoW, and WoW did not do the same, is extremely short sighted. The MMO industry, perhaps more than most, build upon each other. Always fixing each others flaws and design mistakes. Just as WoW did with Ultima, Runescape, and Everquest, even its own franchise of Diablo. I do feel Rift "stole" a lot of great ideas from other games, but also had to weed out the things that did not work so well, like dungeon finders, and authenticators, etc. And i look forward to the next game to arrive that does just the same and "rips off" other successful MMOs to make a hybrid, Frankenstein of a game.
    I find this entire statement very funny. Ive been playing rift for a few weeks now, IMHO its not better than wow, it just falls a bit short. If its your first MMO its gonna be awesome, if its not its just gonna be alot of the same old stuff that comes up just short. It does look great, but then again its alot newer than wow is. Also they are adding a dungeon finder to rift in the near future, and they are working on authenticators. so dont know what to tell you.

Hmm odd experience there :P.. but yeah Rift is looking very very promising atm.. through all the tears and complaining of the players the devs post good compromises and comments. I find it funny that you compared something wow only brought in AFTER rift was released (guild quests) as part of how it is more complete.. hehe yeah Rift has most of the things that have been asked for (o already provided) in most of the other mmo's for a long time and is a very good idea for a try.

LOTRO is nothing like you mention, unless you play on the deadest server you can find at the lonesome hours of the night.. Bree is always full of people mucking about RPing or just having a laugh. The end game is really limited but to counter that the length of levelling a toon in any race/class combination plus the profession system will if nothing wile away the hours plus having the best storyline of any game out there. (obviously my opinion but its hard ot beat the lotr story).

I have a few of the f2p or free downloadable MMO's on which my friends and i roam at will on off times and they are all of a likeness..

Minecraft Multiplayer is well.. okay.. good for some.. and not for anyone who doesnt mind spending a long time doing somethign to only change their mind a few days hard graft later (always happens).. but its great.

---------- Post added 2011-04-18 at 03:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute zero View Post
    I find this entire statement very funny. Ive been playing rift for a few weeks now, IMHO its not better than wow, it just falls a bit short. If its your first MMO its gonna be awesome, if its not its just gonna be alot of the same old stuff that comes up just short. It does look great, but then again its alot newer than wow is. Also they are adding a dungeon finder to rift in the near future, and they are working on authenticators. so dont know what to tell you.
    Correction: They have authenticators but not widespread yet.. (only for android atm i think)

I dont know why you quoted the other post only to ot discuss the HUGE hypocrasy in it.. Wow stole from all the other games.. So what if MMO's do that? If you dont take the best out of another game you have to make new things that are better than them and tbh thats not always possible.

And dont forget.. Guild Quests were in RIFT before they were in WOW.. Rift was well under development as is when blizzard made the elemental invasion.. so yeah.. give some take some.

Get SC2 and maybe Portal 2 now, that'll help keep you busy until GW2 releases.

Quote Originally Posted by ZyngaFail View Post
    Get SC2 and maybe Portal 2 now, that'll help keep you busy until GW2 releases.
    Portal 2 is going to be the biggest flop in the history of gaming.

Yes authenticators are out on android right now.
    I quoted the other post to let him know that they were putting those weeded out features in the game.
    I also never said rift was a bad game, or that it did not steal ideas from anyone, or that wow did not steal ideas away from other mmo's. I hope rift does good, competition is always good.

Also to all those saying that Rift has not had its 6 years of development you got to be kidding your self.
    All the developers that worked on rift are from other mmos.