Thread: 4.1 Mage PvP

Deleted

4.1 Mage PvP

Hi all! After reading the patch notes for 4.1, I thought about a possible new spec for mage PvP. I'm pretty sure Frost will still be the best arena spec, but, for bgs I can see arcane triumphing. Arcane is already viable for bgs: it has Arcane Blast crits of 35k + and has some nice utility. However, not a lot of survivability (which is why Frost will probably stay best for arena).

And, in the new patch, most of the main Arcane spells e.g. Arcane Blast, are getting a 13% damage increase. Therefore, even bigger crits.

Anyway, let me know what people think. I'm happy to except anybodies opinions.

All the best.

Arcane Blast isn't getting a damage increase. If I remember correctly it gets a cast time reduction but the base damage of the spell is reduced to compensate (the official patch notes don't list this but the PTR data mining did).

Arcane Blast isn't getting a damage increase. If I remember correctly it gets a cast time reduction but the base damage of the spell is reduced to compensate (the official patch notes don't list this but the PTR data mining did).
    Correct. They re-rolled the initial massive damage buffs into the cast time reduction. At one point, it sported a lowered cast time and increased damage, but they changed it into an even shorter cast time.

For the question at hand, there's no doubt Arcane will 'suck less' in a PvP environment, what with less time standing still and more damage on the move. Coupled with it's ridiculous burst potential and great changes to control that came with Cataclysm, it could be potentially viable, though less so than Fire and much less so than Frost, due to still being less mobile and having far inferior survivability. Buffing its garbage shield would help with that, but again, the spec will be far better than it was on release. I'll definitely give it a try once 4.1 hits.

If you increase 0% representation by 100%, you still end up getting 0. The spec is still shit, just less shitty. Go in with low expectations... and up not disapointed, that's my tip of the day.

Fire PvP is fun. Especially in world PvP

I think with 4.1 the weaknesses of frost (terrible dmg, broken armor) will of course be fixed and will make it less like just functioning solely as a cc bot. Arcane, I've always wanted to be more than viable because I enjoy playing it and with 4.1 the cast time reduction and other changes will make being a turret something which can be more realistically performed in pvp especially bg's.
    Last edited by buttapancaek; 2011-04-25 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buttapancaek View Post
    I think with 4.1 the weaknesses of frost (terrible dmg)
    Are you serious?

Quote Originally Posted by buttapancaek View Post
    I think with 4.1 the weaknesses of frost (terrible dmg, broken armor) will of course be fixed and will make it less like just functioning solely as a cc bot. Arcane, I've always wanted to be more than viable because I enjoy playing it and with 4.1 the cast time reduction and other changes will make being a turret something which can be more realistically performed in pvp especially bg's.
    Call the police

Quote Originally Posted by pgtiipsbaze View Post
    Hi all! After reading the patch notes for 4.1, I thought about a possible new spec for mage PvP. I'm pretty sure Frost will still be the best arena spec, but, for bgs I can see arcane triumphing. Arcane is already viable for bgs: it has Arcane Blast crits of 35k + and has some nice utility. However, not a lot of survivability (which is why Frost will probably stay best for arena).

And, in the new patch, most of the main Arcane spells e.g. Arcane Blast, are getting a 13% damage increase. Therefore, even bigger crits.

Anyway, let me know what people think. I'm happy to except anybodies opinions.

All the best.
    I am getting 135k+ crits (maybe 3-5 in a 30 second interval) on trainning dummies.