Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    SNIP
    I was trying to give you a familiar example, i do not know what other games you have played.

the thing is, you are trying to be so offensive against the content scaling system and saying it wont work, even though the general consensus is that it is a very good idea and people are going to enjoy it.

The point is, You have a CHOICE to do or not to do that, honestly if you really cared about getting stronger in a video game and taking down stronger things then you probably arent someone that would go back anyways. there will be Huge event bosses that will be very challenging for you in Oor, nobody is forcing you to do anything. the point is you are trying to be as vocally offensive towards a feature you dont even care about as possible.

Deleted
    Which has nothing to do with the talking of content scalling. Don't even know why is considered part of the same debate.
    I was refering to the 'Where did anyone said "want to spent money to get the character more powerful"?' you mentioned. Also using WoW as an example. The content scaling in GW2 is so you can experience the whole game properly, you won't get high level then decide you want to see a lower level area and do some DE's there, but it's boring because your 1 shotting everything. That would happen in WoW, but not GW2 due to it been designed for you to always have something to do, and you are always challeneged when doing something.

Shouldn't be, since this is about the concept of RPG gaming. Leveling scalling as been something that RPG gamers have been fighting for many years now.
    If so many didn't like it, why has nobody mentioned it on the GW2 forums?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    At blizzcon last year blizzard said they were going to look into a content scaling feature or has they called it "sidekick" feature.
    Sidekicking and content scaling aren't really the same. Side-kicking allows higher level players and lower level players to play with each other as through they were the same level. Champions Online implemented the system to some degree of success, though you still lacked the actual powers of being higher level, and you retained higher level powers at lower level.

Content scaling however, is IMO, problematic, but a good feature to some degree.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Content scaling however, is IMO, problematic, but a good feature to some degree.
    Please elaborate as to why you think it is problematic.

Sidekicking and content scaling aren't really the same. Side-kicking allows higher level players and lower level players to play with each other as through they were the same level. Champions Online implemented the system to some degree of success, though you still lacked the actual powers of being higher level, and you retained higher level powers at lower level.

Except the mentoring system is only temporary and since in guild wars you have all your spells allready depending on which weapons you are using the abilities will scale as well, so you will literally be the same power as your mentor, and you wont retain is afterwards.

Sorry if I'm being lazy by not reading through 117 pages (oh dear), but scaling is one thing that is still unclear to me. Majority of the people claim that stuff scales in a way that if you are lvl 80, go back to a low level event, you either become significantly weaker, or the mobs that used to hit you for 2 damage now hits you for 200, but I understood it to be more Diablo style, the more players, the stronger the mobs get, no matter what level you are.

Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks in Advance
    [23:35:54] [B] [80:Fetølboks-Dea:5]: stop running into die

[21:12:45] [G] [13:Warriorelfo]: Troll is a horde and cant be in a alliance guild

Quote Originally Posted by Slenzy View Post
    Sorry if I'm being lazy by not reading through 117 pages (oh dear), but scaling is one thing that is still unclear to me. Majority of the people claim that stuff scales in a way that if you are lvl 80, go back to a low level event, you either become significantly weaker, or the mobs that used to hit you for 2 damage now hits you for 200, but I understood it to be more Diablo style, the more players, the stronger the mobs get, no matter what level you are.

At Gamescon they said you get scaled down.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    If so many didn't like it, why has nobody mentioned it on the GW2 forums?
    Really?

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Feedb..._Level-Scaling

And I can post more.

Shouldn't be, since this is about the concept of RPG gaming. Leveling scalling as been something that RPG gamers have been fighting for many years now.
    Well, I don't care what RPG games fight for, I just care for my menu, and pick what I think I will find tasty.
    Honestly, all this talk is about "I don't feel like a hero". IF you happen for some reason to not feel like that, Personal Story is your great, great friend.
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-gam...tory-overview/

Deleted

It works both ways. You can scale up and down.

More players at an event means the event gets harder, if players leave mid way, it will tone its self down again.

If a high level player goes into a low level zone and begins to attack things, their stats will be lowered to that of the level of the content.

You can read up on it here: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Sidekick

---------- Post added 2011-05-31 at 07:11 PM ----------

Wow, do you want a cookie and medal now?

If you read the post, he says "abundant level-scaling goes against the ideas of progression that make role-playing games fun to invest time in". Now GW2 is not a progression game like that, neither is it an RPG like that.

Also I bet a hell of lot more people like the idea, over the grind freaks that are whining about it.

Also I said GW2 FORUMS, not wiki.
    Last edited by mmoc233041c6ce; 2011-05-31 at 06:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Please elaborate as to why you think it is problematic.
    It's not always problematic. It was in Oblivion because it was a static "everything is as powerful as you are". A group of brigands suddenly became a small battalion of super-powered necromancers, wolves attacked in hordes not packs. At high levels, you could often barely go anywhere without small armies attacking you at every moment. The world seemed to be positively filled with the most powerful rogues gallery in the known world!

I understand why ANet wants to make content scale, and make you scale with content, but this brings up a wide variety of problems in that a player will have to take running through the starting zone as seriously as running through a high-level zone. I think that could cause some issues in that it'll be incredibly time-consuming to get anywhere, especially with the apparent lack of fast-travel options.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

So your saying a minority of people saying it shouldn't be in speak for the whole community? i don't know if you knew but arena net is listening to everything players are saying and working with them, if the majority didn't want scaling , they wouldnt put it in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzcon2011 View Post
    Except the mentoring system is only temporary and since in guild wars you have all your spells allready depending on which weapons you are using the abilities will scale as well, so you will literally be the same power as your mentor, and you wont retain is afterwards.
    Somehow I suspect that powers at level 10 won't be exactly the same as powers at level 80, especially through a mentoring system.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    It's not always problematic. It was in Oblivion because it was a static "everything is as powerful as you are". A group of brigands suddenly became a small battalion of super-powered necromancers, wolves attacked in hordes not packs. At high levels, you could often barely go anywhere without small armies attacking you at every moment. The world seemed to be positively filled with the most powerful rogues gallery in the known world!

I understand why ANet wants to make content scale, and make you scale with content, but this brings up a wide variety of problems in that a player will have to take running through the starting zone as seriously as running through a high-level zone. I think that could cause some issues in that it'll be incredibly time-consuming to get anywhere, especially with the apparent lack of fast-travel options.
    What he/she said.

the example of content scaling you gave is nowhere near the way GW2 scaling will work.

And you can fast travel anywhere in the game just like in oblivion, you just have to discover it first, and supposedly you get rewarded for exploring more instead of always using the fast travel.

unless you used the cheat to discover all locations.
    Last edited by Blizzcon2011; 2011-05-31 at 06:17 PM.

Deleted

Well the said on the PAX panel that scaling down in areas would only happen if you attack mobs or join in events. So if your not doing either of them it won't be as serious as going through higher zones.

I don't see the lack of fast travel, discover waypoints and you can travel to them anytime you want in-game.
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Waypoints

Somehow I suspect that powers at level 10 won't be exactly the same as powers at level 80, especially through a mentoring system.
    Your abilities will be exactly the same always no matter what, with certain weapon combinations. everything will just get scaled up as if you were the same level as them.

Have you played WoW? Well I hope you have cause I'm going to use it as an example

Lets say you're level 85 and go to ashenvale you will be sidekicked down to level 28 for example and your damage will thus be a tad more than a lvl 28, you could also say a "twinked" level 28. You won't be totally OP and onehit mobs like there's no tomorrow but you will be better than all. (unless another 85 is there etc.etc.)
    And in GW2 as you level you unlock abilities and all weapons got different abilities, for example if you equip a bow you get 5 bow abilities and same if you equip a sword, you get 5 sword abilities. All are ofc unique for your class, such as if a ranger equip a bow he got a rangers bow skills, and if a warrior equips a bow he got a warriors bow skills.

And for dynamic scaling, basicly if more people are doing a certain dynamic event the mobs in the event get more hp do more damage etc, or more mobs spawns. But some "D.E" aren't killing mobs pushing pack, some are just watering plants, gathering water. And it might end in a bad way if you don't do them!
    For example if a farmer asks you to go water his farm and none does it. His fields will die out, he won't have food nor any food to supply to the village he lives in, the village might die out etc etc. (This is by far simplified alot of different things will happend in-between

---------- Post added 2011-05-31 at 08:21 PM ----------

Your abilities will be exactly the same always no matter what, with certain weapon combinations. everything will just get scaled up as if you were the same level as them.
    And no, if you are level 10 and get kicked up to level 80 (for this to happend you have to be in a group with a level 80 that gives you that kickup!) you won't unluck weapon skills, all you'd get is damage buff health buff etc.

And for the other discussion, when you get scaled down to a lower level, think of yourself as a twink you are really good for the zone but not "OMG onehit OP"

Quote Originally Posted by Kakuzo View Post
    SNIP
    What im saying is that you will always have the same first 5 abilities with a weapon combination.

What im saying is that you will always have the same first 5 abilities with a weapon combination.
    Sorry my bad