10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddit
    I'm about 8% done (in regards to files not MB) and it's downloaded 680MB so far
    Wow, big update indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    big update? sad my luck in code contests is terrible
    It looks fairly sizeable. Im at 30% done and the counter is up to 1.7Gb, so im guessing its around 5.5-6Gb. My connection is pretty decent, so im getting around 2.6mb/sec. But anyone who has a slower connection id strongly advice to download it long before the Beta. Or you might have to wait quite some time for the patch later on, especially if more people start downloading it and your connection is put under even more stress.

With that method, Drake, players would likely feel obligated to take a certain line for the +attributes, and then choose traits from that line that match their playstyle, rather than choosing traits that match their playstyle and happen to benefit from the attributes as a perk (which is how IMO a build should be decided - playstyle -> traits -> perks extra). But placing potentially-sought-after traits at the end of the line (3rd tier, or sometimes even 2nd tier is sufficient) will have the same desired effect.

I don't see any problem with 20/20/20/10 builds or the like, however I do see issues with people (perhaps erroneously so) cherry-picking traits that, while synergize together, don't get the effect they want; of course, that's what experimentation is for, however, as with weapon skills, I feel the tiered system helps prevent blatantly-broken/misguided builds. For example, building a Signet build (elementalist), which enhances up to 4 abilites, while neglecting traits effecting all abilities and your weapon skills. A quick attempt revealed that such abuild (http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;ka...Yaa;aaaa;aaaaa) would have no points left undistributed, though the necessary traits would change based on which specific signets are used as some are affect specific signets.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Wow, big update indeed.
    Yea, it's massive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Wow, big update indeed.
    Almost at 2.5 GBs, only 42% done.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reddit
    Finished, mine downloaded ~5090MB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    With that method, Drake, players would likely feel obligated to take a certain line for the +attributes, and then choose traits from that line that match their playstyle, rather than choosing traits that match their playstyle and happen to benefit from the attributes as a perk (which is how IMO a build should be decided - playstyle -> traits -> perks extra). But placing potentially-sought-after traits at the end of the line (3rd tier, or sometimes even 2nd tier is sufficient) will have the same desired effect.
    Possibly. Possibly not. I'm of the opinion that arena.net is doing this to give more encouragement to heading deeper, but I'm also of the opinion that we don't need such encouragement. We'll have to see what traits end up being unlocked when you go deeper to really get a good idea of that, however.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    I don't see any problem with 20/20/20/10 builds or the like, however I do see issues with people (perhaps erroneously so) cherry-picking traits that, while synergize together, don't get the effect they want; of course, that's what experimentation is for, however, as with weapon skills, I feel the tiered system helps prevent blatantly-broken/misguided builds. For example, building a Signet build (elementalist), which enhances up to 4 abilites, while neglecting traits effecting all abilities and your weapon skills. A quick attempt revealed that such abuild (http://www.gw2tools.com/skills#el;ka...Yaa;aaaa;aaaaa) would have no points left undistributed, though the necessary traits would change based on which specific signets are used as some are affect specific signets.
    Not sure what you mean with this. I wouldn't want to use that build, but I could imagine others wanting to, and I honestly... don't see any issues with it.

---------- Post added 2012-06-04 at 04:42 PM ----------

To put it another way: if they'd set up this tiered trait system so that, in addition to what we already have access to, you unlock other, more powerful traits at higher tiers...

I'd actually be happy.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-06-04 at 09:36 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

5 gig? won't take long to download for me.

now i just need a code

haha the patch note list will be massive it seems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    That's utterly silly.

We don't need to know the exactness of +20 Crit in the Arms line or the traits unlocked 30 points into Shadow Arts by name. It's a design & mechanical discussion. Tiered vis-a-vis non-Tiered.

Also, why give a flip if someone else likes it or does not [as it may be]? Does it bristle white armor for others to say, "That looks awful/awesome"?
    first we do not know which traits are still the same, they could be buffed, nerfed, or even replaced with a new trait or maybe an existing trait from a different line. we do not know how the tiers are structured as in which traits are under which tier. we do not know what this does to already established builds/playstyles. we do not know if the change will be better or worse for builds/playstyles. we do not know how these changes affect the current meta. so what's left to have a meaningful discussion besides conjecture, wishful thinking and the sky is falling rhetoric?
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    But we can already get a good idea of how things will be even if there are some blanks. Its called theorizing, and it can already help us get a long way. And when the gaps get filled in later, we can correct the theory.
    no, the problem is everything is blank. at this point all we know is that the traits are tiered...that's it. you can't even make a build right now to discuss the effects of it which is my whole point.

---------- Post added 2012-06-04 at 06:29 PM ----------

5 gig? won't take long to download for me.

now i just need a code
    you might want to try your luck with an Amazon GW2 pre-order as this thread describes.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    first we do not know which traits are still the same, they could be buffed, nerfed, or even replaced with a new trait or maybe an existing trait from a different line. we do not know how the tiers are structured as in which traits are under which tier. we do not know what this does to already established builds/playstyles. we do not know if the change will be better or worse for builds/playstyles. we do not know how these changes affect the current meta.
    What is the necessity of any of that information to the design of tier and non-tiered skill and perk systems?

We can have such a discussion of systems regardless of game, wholly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    first we do not know which traits are still the same, they could be buffed, nerfed, or even replaced with a new trait or maybe an existing trait from a different line. we do not know how the tiers are structured as in which traits are under which tier. we do not know what this does to already established builds/playstyles. we do not know if the change will be better or worse for builds/playstyles. we do not know how these changes affect the current meta. so what's left to have a meaningful discussion besides conjecture, wishful thinking and the sky is falling rhetoric?
    no, the problem is everything is blank. at this point all we know is that the traits are tiered...that's it. you can't even make a build right now to discuss the effects of it which is my whole point.
    All unnecessary information.

Aww. I really did try to get ya a key.

But I hope you have fun this weekend, Jim!

10+ Year Old Account
    YES YES

Mif <3

Nom nom nom nom

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Aww. I really did try to get ya a key.

But I hope you have fun this weekend, Jim!
    thanks for trying <3

Mif as usual comes through in the clutch

Guess what guyz.

Just downloaded the patch. :x

My .dat is now 16 GB.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Which is true for WoW not for GW2 so what exactly is your point?
    If everything feels weak, "what's the point" bleeds into any game, no matter which lead designer says it.

Try a little at harder at context next time, okay?
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Guessing forums are down, won't lemme sign in :P