10+ Year Old Account
    As it is, the asura inventing gate technology happened hundreds of years ago. Don't know of a single major invention since then that's actually been all that great.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Searsha View Post
    I haven't played Guild Wars in years... all this hype about GW2 kind of makes me want to try it out again. But is it worth it? Also... Is there a cheaper way for me to run the games on a mac besides shelling out ~$120 for a copy of Windows 7. I still have all my discs, original, factions, nightfall, and EotN
    This should solve all your problems then! GW2 available for Mac!
    Guild Wars 2 Available on Mac

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    It sure starts as an learning institute, but they never leave. It seems to be more like a political party for grown ups, even at the Arcane Council there is a strict separation of the 4 colleges. (Inquest beeing the 4th)
    This has nothing to do with the discussion, really. You're saying a person stops learning once they reach a certain age? Also, the Inquest isn't a college, but a krewe (more on that later).

For the "the colleges have absolutely nothing to do with the Eternal Alchemy" part...
    "Asuran life is built around the research of the Eternal Alchemy - the asura join one of three massive colleges dedicated to this research."
    End of the Synergetics motto: "We devoutly research the true nature of the Eternal Alchemy." Yeah no connection at all.
    Looks like I'm not the only one who has to "learn a bit more about asura lore"... okay that was cocky but you started with this level.
    I will admit the College of Synergetics deals with the Eternal Alchemy in its teachings, but it doesn't deal strictly with it. Dynamics and Statics don't touch upon it other than being part of the interconnectivity of all things, just as I said. I would like to direct you to this article: http://www.arena.net/blog/that-old-college-try

Within the College of Synergetics, asura are all about shaping energy and building connections. Here you can find the more mystical thinkers, those who study the raw matter of magic itself and disdain the solidity of the functional world. They are often more philosophical in bent, and are very used to dealing with political and social theory. These asura are interested in how patterns form, how errors propagate, and how chaos forms rational systems. Unfortunately, this dedicated study to psychology also leads them to be more secretive—even among themselves—as they believe they know how everyone else’s mind works…and those minds are out to get them! Even the greatest of this college’s alumni can tend to be a little shortsighted, devising ethereal plans and constructing psychological reasoning without actually venturing out of their laboratories for concrete tests. When a member of the college speaks of his alma mater, they typically are speaking of the social structures they’ve created through their tutelage, their connections, and the body of asura who consider themselves a ”college” of like minds.
    It's funny how a college that, according to you, is entirely devoted to researching the Eternal Alchemy and nothing else doesn't even mention the Eternal Alchemy in the first place, don't you agree? And for that matter - what does any of this even have to do with the Eternal Alchemy being a religion rather than a philosophy? In fact, if you continue to claim that Synergetics is the embodiment of the Eternal Alchemy, it only serves to further alienate your theory that all asura are members of some grand sect, as the article clearly states philosophy, politics, and social theory. Not religion. As final food for thought on this little topic, even if all Synergetics asura were to utilize the Eternal Alchemy in their research and studies, so what? I walk on a road every day, that doesn't mean I devote every moment of my life to a religious road cult. Though that would be kind of funny. Heh.

Also, as promised, a little further down in the article:

Although not actually a college, the Inquest is the largest krewe in asuran culture, and is a relatively new organization.
    I don't see any "logical fallacies" here. I was just pointing out that a quote of a single random asura is not relevant to an debate if believing in the existance of the Eternal Alchemy could be considered a religion.
    You worded it like "well, clearly the asura wouldn't admit to it because she's in a sect". This qualifies as a logical fallacy because you're immediately discounting the possibility she's not admitting to the Eternal Alchemy being a religion because the Eternal Alchemy simply isn't a religion, instead jumping on the idea that a sect member would deny involvement in a sect, thus anyone denying involvement in a sect is undeniably a sect member. Perchance you didn't intend to phrase it that way, who am I to know.

Wowsers, why is the reward for the second to last personal story quest so bad? Fucking revive orb, repair canister, and consumable boost things.

Why couldn't they give some cool as hell hat or something actually worthwhile? So disappointing. 0/10gameunsubscribingfromthisshit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post
    Wowsers, why is the reward for the second to last personal story quest so bad? Fucking revive orb, repair canister, and consumable boost things.

Why couldn't they give some cool as hell hat or something actually worthwhile? So disappointing. 0/10gameunsubscribingfromthisshit.
    Well, realistically speaking it's pretty obvious it's to get you some of the more "premium" convenience items from the gem store and try to get you to purchase more. Can't blame them for it, it's just business. But yes, a tower of hats would be a welcome addition.

---------- Post added 2012-09-19 at 07:52 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    As it is, the asura inventing gate technology happened hundreds of years ago. Don't know of a single major invention since then that's actually been all that great.
    Well, for starters, there's the asura mega laser and asura lightning turrets, the asuran waypoints (you can't reasonably argue that that's not an "all that great" invention), the asuran floating capital city, and as previously mentioned levitating hammocks.

Charr, on the other hand, haven't really made any major inventions that have been all that great.

Not to say the charr are useless, just that while they've got their strengths, engineering and inventing isn't one of them. Charr inventions are temporary and makeshift at best.

Also, no further comment on handwavium? At least you could admit you were completely and utterly wrong. :P
    Last edited by mmoc10ec13b383; 2012-09-19 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes gets on my nerves.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skelington View Post

What?! The glory means nothing nowadays?!
    Mercenary!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Holydorf View Post
    What?! The glory means nothing nowadays?!
    Mercenary!
    Just as an FYI. Wait with completing your last storyquest. The rewards are bugged, and have been confirmed as bugged by arenanet. You get some really crappy lvl 50 blue/green rewards.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJekyll View Post
    Just as an FYI. Wait with completing your last storyquest. The rewards are bugged, and have been confirmed as bugged by arenanet. You get some really crappy lvl 50 blue/green rewards.
    Oh...well that explains it, i guess.

Deleted
    caithe is one stoned mofo

I can't stand her ugh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJekyll View Post
    Thanks for the info, but considering my pace, i'll see everything related to level 80 just after Xmas.
    I really hope they'll fix that bug for then (not that i care much for the rewards anyway, but i know it's just me).

But just to be clear, mine was just a joke.

Just picked up the game. Wasn't even planning on bying it but I thought the screenshots were very beautiful so I did. I have to say I'm not expecting it to be anything special and I'm not looking forward to playing it for years to come but I also won't trash the game based on what little experience I have. As my opinion goes - I'm trying out the classes and I'm unimpressed. Unless they get much better and much more versatile they are just plain boring (tried Guardian, Warrior, Ranger, Thief so far). Also, I'm very spoiled by The Secret World but the story is kind of bland as well. Once again - not trashing, just my initial experience. I'm gonna spend some more time with it and see how it goes.

Deleted
    And again the entire server is lagging. It's getting seriously embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    And again the entire server is lagging. It's getting seriously embarrassing.
    Which server are you on?

I see people saying "omg it lags" in /map chat, yet i've never lagged after launch days with my embarassing 8.70Mbps (just did a speedtest, pay for 10Mbps.)

I'm on Far Shiverpeaks (EU) which usually is EU so it's not like im on a server with no ppl.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    Which server are you on?

I see people saying "omg it lags" in /map chat, yet i've never lagged after launch days with my embarassing 8.70Mbps (just did a speedtest, pay for 10Mbps.)

I'm on Far Shiverpeaks (EU) which usually is EU so it's not like im on a server with no ppl.
    Riverside [DE], also EU.

10+ Year Old Account
    I get some terrible lag spikes at times but I've never been positive on whether it was the game, my wife gaming, or our ISP.
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

Logging in in general has been pretty slow for Skelington since last night's patch. Getting "unable to access the log-in server" disconnects now too. Going to a bloodtide coast waypoint also took him to a timberline falls one before the log-in server thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Exroyal View Post
    Which server are you on?

Bandwidth above certain, trivial even for third-world countries number has nothing to do with latency induced problems.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    Bandwidth above certain, trivial even for third-world countries number has nothing to do with latency induced problems.
    But.. but.. I thought that "It's not this great game without any flaws whats-o-ever! Get a real Interwebs!" is a valid argument. :[

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaran View Post
    But.. but.. I thought that "It's not this great game without any flaws whats-o-ever! Get a real Interwebs!" is a valid argument. :[
    I understand the point you're trying to make but issues with latency can be caused by a thousand different reasons and not necessarily by game provider.

As a side note - I've now tried all classes and races up to level 5 and the question is - does it get better? Because if not, I think I've just wasted 60 bucks.
    Last edited by Pokot; 2012-09-19 at 07:41 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pokot View Post
    As a side note - I've now tried all classes and races up to level 5 and the question is - does it get better? Because if not, I think I've just wasted 60 bucks.
    Only level 5?
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.