The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    People who no nothing about the game keep posting that it is not persistent because they think just cause the first one wasn't GW2 won't be. The game is no longer completely instanced, the only instanced areas are dungeons and personal story. Watch some videos, read up, and get facts before posting completely false statements.

Persistent world: A persistent world (PW) is a virtual world that continues to exist even after a user exits the world and that user-made changes to its state are, to some extent, permanent. Check

Open World: An open world is a type of video game level design concept where a player can freely roam a virtual world. Check

GW2 is open world and persistent, end of discussion.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-30 at 04:43 PM.

Don't get me wrong, I want GW2 to succeed, I know I'll be playing it, but I fear for this game.

After EQ, EQ2, WoW, Rift, Aion, Age of Conan, and many other games I haven't even mentioned, I think consumers are tired of high-fantasy MMO's. This is where ToR's power is going to come from. Other than SW:G which has been defunct for years, EVE, and ST:O, there isn't a Sci-Fi MMO IP out there at the moment.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. I hope to god I'm wrong, but I just see consumers going "Alright, I'm done with 10 years of the same old fantasy shit. Time to move on."
    Last edited by gotpriest; 2011-04-30 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gotpriest View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I want GW2 to succeed, I know I'll be playing it, but I fear for this game.

After EQ, EQ2, WoW, Rift, Aion, Age of Conan, Rift, and many other games I haven't even mentioned, I think consumers are tired of high-fantasy MMO's. This is where ToR's power is going to come from. Other than SW:G which has been defunct for years, EVE, and ST:O, there isn't a Sci-Fi MMO IP out there at the moment.

Again, I hope I'm wrong. I hope to god I'm wrong, but I just see consumers going "Alright, I'm done with 10 years of the same old fantasy shit. Time to move on."
    Your fears are understandable, but I know a lot of people(even friends in rl) who play WoW and honestly are just going crazy about GW2, plus guild wars had and has a large fanbase already so i'm not that worried for the game, i could easily see it sitting at about 1 million + people buying and playing it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mothhive View Post
    Ok, I've had another look over traits and an image of the trait interface and I think I get what you're saying. So, you can assign traits to every type of weapon your character can equip, but only Weapon Set 1 and 2 can be switched between in combat, and the rest are dormant until you change your weapon sets?
    Yes, pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampd413 View Post
    People who no nothing about the game keep posting that it is not persistent because they think just cause the first one wasn't GW2 won't be. The game is no longer completely instanced, the only instanced areas are dungeons and personal story. Watch some videos, read up, and get facts before posting completely false statements.

Persistent world: A persistent world (PW) is a virtual world that continues to exist even after a user exits the world and that user-made changes to its state are, to some extent, permanent. Check

Open World: An open world is a type of video game level design concept where a player can freely roam a virtual world. Check

GW2 is open world and persistent, end of discussion.
    There is no confirmation that it is in fact an open world, it could be like GW1 with portals between zones still. Until beta we won't know. I wasn't arguing the fact it wasn't a persistent world

Quote Originally Posted by conqq View Post
    There is no confirmation that it is in fact an open world, it could be like GW1 with portals between zones still. Until beta we won't know. I wasn't arguing the fact it wasn't a persistent world
    By this logic WoW don't have open world too.

TBH, i don't care about portals or loadings between zones as long as everyone is in same world as me (so not instanced)

One of the things I disliked about Cata was how all of the new zones were teleported to, even though they were in the world they felt instanced because of it.
    Top 10 Reasons to be Interested in Guild Wars 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    There will be portals between zones, but it is still open world. WoW has portals between their zones too, they just make them unnoticeable to the player. Most games that are open world have loading screens too, or will say loading and you have to wait a second, but a lot of them make it so it is unnoticeable to the player. The portals between zones is to reduce lag on the map or zone you are currently playing.

The game is open world by definition, because you can freely roam the world, by WoW definition of open world it may not be, but I don't understand why you must compare everything by WoW terms.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-30 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampd413 View Post
    There will be portals between zones, but it is still open world. WoW has portals between their zones too, they just make them unnoticeable to the player. Most games that are open world have loading screens too, or will say loading and you have to wait a second, but a lot of them make it so it is unnoticeable to the player. The portals between zones is to reduce lag on the map or zone you are currently playing.

The game is open world by definition, because you can freely roam the world, by WoW definition of open world it may not be, but I don't understand why you must compare everything by WoW terms.
    WoW only has portals between continents and dungeons/raids

Do you know what profession you will be? Is it based off anything in particular or are you just following the type of profession/class you usually play? I have always enjoyed ranger/hunter type characters but think I'm going warrior or guardian. Are interrupts and cc going to be part of guild wars 2? I cant imagine the game will be fun constantly rolling around dodging attacks and I know there is no auto attacks but still as melee I don't want to be running in and out of combat constantly. I want to hit stuff! Thats why I have found the warrior especially to be appealing since it has knockback and seems to dictate the combat by brute force. I'm still watching bunch of videos from various people mostly from pax east so as I see more my opinion will likely change..

Anyone have any mid level to high level guardian gameplay footage they have seen around? Or I guess about any high level stuff that they reccommend?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    WoW technically does have something like portals between zones you just can't see them, every notice the textures get a little choppy when you just enter a new zone or get a lag spike? When Cata just came out many people were having issues with crashing when entering a new zone as well. It is a different transition method than ArenaNet is doing if the portals are confirmed.

The portals are said to be place holders to block off content in demos on other forums. I am pretty sure they will be keeping them, but we will have to wait and see. Even if they use portals I don't see them causing a big problem. Also, I think people are confusing open world with seamless. You still can free roam the game, you just will have to wait a few seconds at the end of each zone, and the zones are huge.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Portal
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-30 at 08:22 PM.

Deleted
    Wow is still only an open persistant world. At the moment the speculation is the portals in the current demos at game cons for GW2 are only place holders, since they block off areas mainly that you can't get to with a no entry sign on them.

If you notice when you change area in WoW, you will experience a tiny tiny amount lag, as your passing through an unseeable portal. They could have this in GW2 like that.

We won't know if GW2 will have portals seperating every area yet, most people are hearing rumours of it only portaling off cities/dungeons/personal story and the large "continent" areas.

Like Ampd said your mistaking persistant and seemless.

Quote Originally Posted by Druxray View Post
    Do you know what profession you will be?
    I want to play all of them!

I'm going to try all of them and see what playstyle fits me best, probably a warrior, ranged thief, or the supposed engineer/gunner class that hasn't been revealed yet.
    Top 10 Reasons to be Interested in Guild Wars 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs

From an IRC Dev Chat:

We understand that while it's more of a persistent world than Guild Wars, there will still be loading screens between the big zones. About how much time will a normal player spend going through loading screens as they play?

[EricFlannum] It really depends on the player in question, but we try to pace the game such that a player is never required to go through multiple loads in a short period of time. That being said loads are for the most part pretty infrequent unless you are prurposefully bouncing back and forth between maps.

guildwars2guru.com/forum/irc-dev-chat-transcription-with-t12616.html

Is it confirmed that there will be more classes released? I would think they might do another caster but I guess the elementalist can be really diverse and cover a lot of different roles based on what element it uses. I just hope there is like a time/arcane/green mage class with a lot of cc and utility even if its at the cost of damage.

It's confirmed there will be 2 more (8 in total) - e.g. http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/guild-wars-2/1165160p1.html

GameSpy: You've unveiled all but two of the game's eight classes. So far, we have the Elementalist, Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Guardian, and Thief. Do you have any hints about the last two? Will we see the return of the Mesmer!?
    Eric Flannum: We've given hints out, so I think it's safe for me to say that there is one brand new profession and one returning profession yet to be revealed.
    Pretty much any article you go to though would do for confirmation :-)

No-one knows what the remaining two will be, but it has been confirmed there will be one light-armour wearer and one medium-armour wearer e.g. http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/...th-t15123.html (links to a German article, further on in the thread someone has done a translation)

As you can see from a brief look at GW2guru, Mesmer is a pretty popular prediction for one of the remaining two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

Also it is his highly rumored that the next class that wears medium armor might be a steam punk esque class such as an engineer or alchemist etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually think the 3rd adventurer might be something completely different. Steampunk just isn't really GW-ish to me, although asura and charr have the technology, it just feels TOO silly for a sylvari or norn. we are sure one of the classes wields rifles but not bows.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    I actually think the 3rd adventurer might be something completely different. Steampunk just isn't really GW-ish to me, although asura and charr have the technology, it just feels TOO silly for a sylvari or norn. we are sure one of the classes wields rifles but not bows.
    This is 250 years into the future you know... things can change.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by gotpriest View Post

After EQ, EQ2, WoW, Rift, Aion, Age of Conan, and many other games I haven't even mentioned, I think consumers are tired of high-fantasy MMO's. This is where ToR's power is going to come from. Other than SW:G which has been defunct for years, EVE, and ST:O, there isn't a Sci-Fi MMO IP out there at the moment.

Eh, you may be tired of it. There are probably others tired of it as well. But there will always be people who love the fantasy feel and hate the sci-fi "shit". I play MMOs *for* the fantasy world and I can't wait for guild wars 2.

If GW2 flops, I seriously doubt it will be because they chose a fantasy environment.