Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Not to Bash GW2, but I have to agree. I'm doing a Char and a Salvari and I find the Char Personal story cut scenes pretty painful to sit through and I'm only level 14 and I'm think this is on par and worse than some Syfy shows. For something that was billed as the main selling point of the game, I'm fairly disappointed. but Maybe I'm just weird, I just finished the StarCraft Swarm Xpac and I really loved the story. Nothing totally awesome, but I was definitely hooked on wanting to see it all the way through and left with wanting more.
    Not a bash. I'm pretty sure most everyone besides the most hardcore of fanatics will agree GW2's personal story was rather poorly done in most areas. Thankfully, GW2's success was not completely based on it's story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Not to Bash GW2, but I have to agree. I'm doing a Char and a Salvari and I find the Char Personal story cut scenes pretty painful to sit through and I'm only level 14 and I'm think this is on par and worse than some Syfy shows. For something that was billed as the main selling point of the game, I'm fairly disappointed. but Maybe I'm just weird, I just finished the StarCraft Swarm Xpac and I really loved the story. Nothing totally awesome, but I was definitely hooked on wanting to see it all the way through and left with wanting more.
    Heh, the Charr probably have the best personal story too.

About SC, I thought the story was rather mediocre but as Fencers points out, Blizzard is king in how to present it. They certainly know how to showcase their stuff.

Asura personal story is good too. The only ones I really haven't liked were human street rat and human commoner, human noble was good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Lane View Post
    D: I love the Charr, they can basically do no wrong in my eyes.
    Well, I haven't actually read into any of the actual story yet. The Char seem interesting, I may enjoy reading a wiki about them and agree they are totally awesome. But I don't think I'm going to be able to stomach much more of the Personal story cutscenes. It "seems" they went really cheap with the voice actors. Again, maybe I'm biased or spoiled, but Blizzard voice acting in games like Gears of War, SC and Diablo 3 were solid in my book. Not saying what they had to say was always interesting, it just had some soul\depth to it.

On the flip side, my wife loves GW2 and the stories. haven't asked her about the actual voice acting.

yeah, blizzard has top notch voice acting, well at least in the starcraft and diablo series. Some of the wow stuff is just as cringe worthy as it is in gw2 though.

I really haven't had much issue with the voice acting in GW2. There are a couple of females who sound the same regardless of what character they're portraying, but that's about it (except for how horrible the female Norn voice is in general). I'm also amused by how many FFXII voice actors are in GW2, especially since I was replaying that when my bf got me GW2.

I really haven't had much issue with the voice acting in GW2. There are a couple of females who sound the same regardless of what character they're portraying, but that's about it (except for how horrible the female Norn voice is in general). I'm also amused by how many FFXII voice actors are in GW2, especially since I was replaying that when my bf got me GW2.
    FF12 needs to burn for ruining GW2 voice acting.

With the flame and frost solo storys out I felt they could of added... more movement to the cutscenes they had. They just stood there and I watched horrible lip syncing.

There are no FFs after 11.

These are lies.

They just stood there and I watched horrible lip syncing.
    Don't forget the declarative and wooden, "Yes, I will help in this matter." replies your 'hero' gives. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There are no FFs after 11.

These are lies.

Don't forget the declarative and wooden, "Yes, I will help in this matter." replies your 'hero' gives. XD
    That unfortunately still means you still have to count FF10-2

X-2 is excellent. It was the real FFX.

An MMO with dresspheres, hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    That unfortunately still means you still have to count FF10-2
    10-2 was the best I am SUPER excited that 13-3 is returning the wardrobe system.

My sylvari is made of wood... hes got wood 24/7...

all natural

My husband had a Sylvari Ranger named Morning Woodsman.

Had the name in GW1 too.

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    FF12 needs to burn for ruining GW2 voice acting.
    wat? Balthier best skypirate. Literally best voice Final Fantasy character out of all of them. Sure Vaan was a complete waste of skin (but that wasn't just voice acting but the character as a whole was unnecessary), But Basch, Penelo, Larsa, Reddas, Vossler, Vayne, Cid, Gabranth, hell especially Gabranth were quite fantastic (the only character I've seen whose voice can walk in and own a room, even without the helmet).

And FF12 came out years before, so for it to ruin GW2, I don't see how it works that way? You clearly must be thinking of a different game.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    wat? Balthier best skypirate. Literally best voice Final Fantasy character out of all of them. Sure Vaan was a complete waste of skin (but that wasn't just voice acting but the character as a whole was unnecessary), But Basch, Penelo, Larsa, Reddas, Vossler, Vayne, Cid, Gabranth, hell especially Gabranth were quite fantastic (the only character I've seen whose voice can walk in and own a room, even without the helmet).

And FF12 came out years before, so for it to ruin GW2, I don't see how it works that way? You clearly must be thinking of a different game.
    No I just hate FF12 and anything related to it should burn from the toilet from heaven it came out of.

(I thought of saying burn from the fires of hell but I think it's been overdone)

Also luigis mansion darkmoon = cool. Original is better though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Sure Vaan was a complete waste of skin (but that wasn't just voice acting but the character as a whole was unnecessary)
    Did you know that originally Basch was supposed to be the main character?

Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    No I just hate FF12 and anything related to it should burn from the toilet from heaven it came out of.
    Uh, why?

You have a beautiful setting that went out and actually adopted an entire world. The city is full of people, the slums feel like slums, the forests are densely populated and not just by random encounters but actual monsters. A combat system that involves not just an ATB gauge, but actual placement in the field (XIII sort of tries this but you can't control it?), in real time, with both summons (Espers) and limit breaks (Quickenings) having an actual cost to them, while also being one of the more forgiving systems when it comes to casters not needing a tent/save point to actually want to cast spells against regular things vs risking running dry midway through a boss fight.

The scenery is beautiful, varied, its peoples' lives fleshed out. It's also a setting that doesn't rely on an overarching "omg <insert big bad> is going to blow up the planet!" to try and get you to be the "good guys". It's quite socio-political in what it tries to accomplish, which generally doesn't appeal to dudebros but I thought you were above them, zito?

The characters themselves (excluding Vaan, who becomes irrelevant 30 minutes into getting him) each have their own reasons for being there, rather than just "meh, tagging along nothing better to do" or this stupid idea of "GONNA SAVE THE WORLD, MURIKUH FUCK YEAH". They each have demons, their own history to battle with and their own scars from it. A solid voice cast for well rounded characters, a real time combat system that doesn't punish casters but does make limits/summons something not spammed, a mythos that works without needing "amg this meteor is going to blow up the world/time is going to compress and cease to exist/mega dragons from millenia are awakening to destroy us", and hey a game that can actually pass the Bechdel test, why is it so hated?

---------- Post added 2013-03-27 at 08:12 PM ----------

Did you know that originally Basch was supposed to be the main character?
    I was unaware, actually. I would have honestly pegged it for Balthier with how well it works, but given Gabranth's role as an antagonist, I can see that.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, Basch was originally intended to be the main character, Vaan was brought in to "appeal" to what they thought was the usual demographic because Basch was apparently too old. Quite a lame reason, Balthier or Basch would both have been better than Vaan as main characters. Didn't like FF12 myself either, though they did admittedly have fantastic environments. I play for story and combat though, both of which I found boring in that FF.

Waaait..why are we talking about FF? Haha I just remembered I'm in a GW2 thread. Oh right the voice actors.. Yeah the voice actors from 12 were actually pretty solid imo. I don't think they did such a bad job in GW2, it's more that GW2 has lines that no voice actor can pull off without sounding ridiculously cliche or silly.

It was believed Basch wouldn't be a successful lead and that they needed a character more relateable to their target demographic.

The only thing that bothered me about FFXII was the hypocrisy of the antagonists.

It was believed Basch wouldn't be a successful lead and that they needed a character more relateable to their target demographic.

The only thing that bothered me about FFXII was the hypocrisy of the antagonists.
    And look how well that went!

With Cid and Gabranth, I didn't really see any hypocrisy in either of them. Each were well developed powerhouses in their own rights. That's not to speak for the entire antagonistic cast (Vayne, Venat, Vossler, the other judges), but those two alone were magnificent. Gabranth sneaks up right under Seymour as one that just felt right, I dunno it's hard to place.