The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the responses everyone. Wow...that actually seems like fun to be honest. Am I crazy for thinking so? Glad to see I can get 30 pts in the original game. That's what my first goal will be. I hope if they develop a 3rd game that they do something similar from 2-3. It creates a very cool culture and loyalty in the franchise. Forgive me for geeking out a little, I've been so preoccupied by all the new MMOs around GW2 that I never gave the game quite the attention it deserved.
    BAD WOLF

I've tried playing GW from time to time. I just can't do it ever since GW2 came out. I'm pretty close to GWAMM as well but I just don't have the fortitude to finish it.

If you decide to step into GW, be prepared for some things which feel extremely rough around the edges, the game is nearly 10years old
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meledelion View Post
    If you decide to step into GW, be prepared for some things which feel extremely rough around the edges, the game is nearly 10years old
    Well atleast he won't have to endure cutscenes where no one moves their mouth when they speak!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh I've owned it since it came out. I remember picking it up when Mannoroth was down during it's infamous days. I mean there were memes about our server being down. I just never played the game for more than half an hour to an hour. It appears that I got a necromancer to level 9, but I don't remember any of it. I started a new character to get the whole experience and it feels dated in the way that all games that old do, but it also seems rather well done. I have enjoyed what's going on so far and hearing the familiar music and seeing familiar geography/architecture is quite intriguing.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    Well atleast he won't have to endure cutscenes where no one moves their mouth when they speak!
    Or the hilariously bad mouth movements from Warcraft III. Ah, how time changes perception.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I have enjoyed what's going on so far and hearing the familiar music and seeing familiar geography/architecture is quite intriguing.
    Oh man, playing GW 2, the first time I heard that old Shiverpeaks music again I got hit with such a wave of nostalgia...

Searing was the best part of GW, god I love that place.
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

Searing was the best part of GW, god I love that place.
    You're not being clear. Pre- or Post-?

15+ Year Old Account
    After playing the first time, I didn't want to leave Pre-Searing because I knew what happened to it.

Pre, slipped my mind to add that in

Pre-searing was nice but I wasn't as enamored with it as some. I rather enjoyed the devastation that occurred. But I like desolate landscapes (Orr is probably my favorite area in GW2)

I liked it because it was a real challenge, hunting Charr bosses was epic even though it was all very small scale.

10+ Year Old Account
    I must say that so far Anet's customer support has been pretty fantastic for me. I hear people complaining about them, but I had account issues with GW2 and GW that were sorted lightning fast. My GW2 account was under an old email I couldn't access and they updated it for me and even though my accounts are linked I couldn't log on to original GW. Both issues were corrected in 1 business day, which was superb.
    BAD WOLF

So to change the topic a bit...I'm enjoying the little bit of GW I've been playing and I'm considering picking up the expansions I never got if there's a deal on steam or something. Has anyone here played all of what GW1 offers and be able to answer some Q's?:

1)So far it seems like everything is soloable due to the instancing of each zone. Is there anything that you have to have a group for?

2)How far in the game/what types of things correlate to the Hall of Monuments in GW2 and what do you actually get out of it?
    1. Everything can be solo'd. Including the hard modes. They are not always easy, but it is the fairest & most thoughtful MMO design of it's era.

2. Lots of stuff. Almost everything really. HoM is like your trophy case. The more trophies you put on the shelf the higher your "score". Though a lot of HoM is WAY more difficult now due to GW2 destroying GW1 population.

There is almost nothing I have not done in GW1. I have achieved everything in the game several times over on multiple accounts. For the fun of it alone.

I must say that so far Anet's customer support has been pretty fantastic for me. I hear people complaining about them, but I had account issues with GW2 and GW that were sorted lightning fast. My GW2 account was under an old email I couldn't access and they updated it for me and even though my accounts are linked I couldn't log on to original GW. Both issues were corrected in 1 business day, which was superb.
    it's really a mixed bag. I've sent in a ticket before about my account and it was fixed right away.

but then recently (6 months ago) my GW account was locked for some reason, I sent in an email about trying to fix it and I never heard back from them

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Pre-searing was nice but I wasn't as enamored with it as some. I rather enjoyed the devastation that occurred. But I like desolate landscapes (Orr is probably my favorite area in GW2)
    Orr is extremely well-made, but that classic fantasy feel of the Pre-Searing was very nice. I far preferred it to the other areas of Prophecies. Some bits of Factions and Eye of the North come close. And bits of Kryta and Ascalon are nice in GW 2, but still not quite the same. I think it says a lot about the original game that even now it resonates in player attitudes towards the Charr and the state of Ascalon.

10+ Year Old Account
    it's really a mixed bag. I've sent in a ticket before about my account and it was fixed right away.

but then recently (6 months ago) my GW account was locked for some reason, I sent in an email about trying to fix it and I never heard back from them
    I'll consider myself fortunate then. I was really itching to get back in to everything and it's just been such a great experience since then. I have to say that the GW universe of games on the whole make it very easy to get right back into things. So many other MMOs you feel lost or frustrated by design, changes, or inability to even access the game that it ruins your desire. I had a major jones to go back to GW2 once Wildstar panned out and I saw the format for S2.

It has been the most satisfying experience on the whole I've had ever in playing MMOs.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by lawow74 View Post
    I think it says a lot about the original game that even now it resonates in player attitudes towards the Charr and the state of Ascalon.
    That is actually true. I still have trouble playing my Charr due to all of my time in GW 1

God damn it, now you people made me redownload GW again, sigh...

(Gonna hunt me some god damn Charr, now who's with me!) (in presearing ofc)

That is actually true. I still have trouble playing my Charr due to all of my time in GW 1
    I generally think of it as 'that was what my ancestors did; I'm not them and you're not yours, unless you want to be' where my own is concerned. Even if going through Ascalon and seeing Charr everywhere makes me want to start setting bull-kitties on fire. And definitely smack Rytlock in the head, take Rurik's sword away and chuck him in a deep, dark hole to die.