Interesting Reddit thread on the calculation of Non-Fiery Greatsword DPS for every profession.

Here's the info on individual DPS rankings for each profession...

High Damage
    Elementalist
    DPS Guardian with UC up
    Engineer
    Thief
    DPS Warrior

Moderate Damage
    DPS Guardian without UC
    Mesmer - Phantasm DPS
    Necromancer
    Ranger
    EA Warrior

Low Damage
    Guardian - Fractal Hammer
    Mesmer - Traited Reflects
    PS Warrior

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/c...ch_profession/

And in another year, they'll finally figure out how to properly calculate this stuff
    In most cases, I understand the other side's viewpoint and how they came to it, but cannot tolerate their stubbornness to not see mine (the right one).

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I guess that's why my lazy ranger still hasn't done a dungeon yet. People would probably kick me as soon as I zoned in.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    I never thought of Thief as high damage, but then I don't have anything to measure it against. I do pull off some decent-seeming numbers under might and fury though :P

Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    I never thought of Thief as high damage, but then I don't have anything to measure it against. I do pull off some decent-seeming numbers under might and fury though :P
    A warrior will have more damage but a Thief has a lot more cc's available

ironic that a warrior is supposed to be a more controlling character but in reality my Thief can control an encounter much more than my Warrior

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    While they said they didn't want to specifically rank the classes individually, the spreadsheet seems to disagree slightly as warrior is the last of the High DPS class/specs.
    BAD WOLF

well mine is purely anecdotal, my warrior has the best time to kill of all of my characters

10+ Year Old Account
    well mine is purely anecdotal, my warrior has the best time to kill of all of my characters
    Spreadsheets are usually limited as well. There's too many situations possible to give a definitive ranking...just glancing at their criteria trying to balance out the various situations with specific foods and buffs, etc...it's not going to be perfect. I feel like my ranger kills things quickly...that's how worthless my anecdotal experience is lol.
    BAD WOLF

ironic that a warrior is supposed to be a more controlling character but in reality my Thief can control an encounter much more than my Warrior
    Are you talking pve or pvp? Because I know warriors can have a stunlock build, because they have so many. The only 'stuns' a thief has is Basilisk Venom and Pistol Whip. I think thieves do have more immobilization spells though. I haven't tried really running a cc build on my thief though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I guess that's why my lazy ranger still hasn't done a dungeon yet. People would probably kick me as soon as I zoned in.
    I'd do dungeons with you

Quote Originally Posted by worprz View Post
    Are you talking pve or pvp? Because I know warriors can have a stunlock build, because they have so many. The only 'stuns' a thief has is Basilisk Venom and Pistol Whip. I think thieves do have more immobilization spells though. I haven't tried really running a cc build on my thief though.
    not just stuns but blinds, snares, and even weakness

again this is just personal experience but I feel that I have more control of a fight on my Thief than my Warrior

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I'd do dungeons with you
    Well it's good to know someone would keep me in there. I don't know why I haven't done them yet...is it odd to say there's so much other content in the game that I've just never even tried? I mentioned to Edge I haven't even done Zaitan yet...and I still haven't. I finally completed the open world map and moved on to WvW objectives last night. That's another thing I haven't dabbled much in, but it seems kinda fun. They are very nice zones to run around in. It's nice to PvE empty enemy bases and then run away too...not looking for actual zergfest pvp at all.
    BAD WOLF

if you ever want to do story mode Arah for the personal story, let me know. I have never finished that one either. I do know it is a fairly long instance though

Quote Originally Posted by zed zebes View Post
    The latest Mesmer nerf was the final nail in the coffin for bringing my Mes into WvW. I was also burnt out from season, so I hadn't really been playing WvW outside of taking my Ele or War in on reset night.

So I decided to dust off my 80 Necro and play around with it. I started using Warhorn for the first time really. I never saw much use for it. I unlocked the skills and never touched it again. Now that I've been practicing using Dagger, I have begun to see the benefit of Warhorn play with Necro. I'm running a dagger/WH (plus Staff) Wells build.

Fooling around with this, I see how the combo has its use. I can trap people in the Wells and fire off ton of different sources of damage. It can really melt down foes. I've melted a lot of zergs in large scale fights by dropping everything I have. The trade-off is that my toughness is only 2k and the multiple sources of damage pretty much nuke me when I run into retal.

So sometimes its melt or be melted, and sometimes its both and I just rally after the retal self-nuke.

Damage sources going off at once:
    1. Dagger Auto Attack
    2. Locus Swarm ticks
    3. Well of Corrup + Well of Suffering Ticks
    4. Vampiric Rituals tick from Wells
    5. Golem Charge/Summon hit
    6. AoE Birds triggering on Golem use from 6 piece Mad King Rune Bonus
    7 Spinal Shivers triggering off of Chill of Death
    8. Vampiric Precision and Vampiric hits triggering off of all this stuff.

It's fun but once in awhile my health will insta drop with nobody on me. The vampiric heals and high health sort of battle back and forth with the retal damage.
    Mesmers are pretty damn pivotal in WvW, and if the latest brand of nerfs turned you off from playing in WvW you're missing why the class truly shines. Veils are the single best spell in terms of engagement as they allow you some surprise or even some neat misdirection.

But the main use of Mesmers in WvW is Chaos Armor. You block one attack with chaos armor, and when you do block that attack you apply a condition and a boon, and they have access to so many of these fields that if your zerg doesnt know how to take advantage of them.... that's your problem.

Fact is mesmers will be extremely powerful in WvW as long as they dont nerf Chaos armor.
    Last edited by Alsonia; 2014-07-23 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Well it's good to know someone would keep me in there. I don't know why I haven't done them yet...is it odd to say there's so much other content in the game that I've just never even tried? I mentioned to Edge I haven't even done Zaitan yet...and I still haven't. I finally completed the open world map and moved on to WvW objectives last night. That's another thing I haven't dabbled much in, but it seems kinda fun. They are very nice zones to run around in. It's nice to PvE empty enemy bases and then run away too...not looking for actual zergfest pvp at all.
    if you ever want to do story mode Arah for the personal story, let me know. I have never finished that one either. I do know it is a fairly long instance though
    My Ele needs Arah! Also if I ever finish the Personal Story on my Necro she'll need it too, but I probably won't. I can understand not having done it though because it can be quiet long, especially if you really want to experience it and not skip cutscenes.

All the other dungeon story modes are worth seeing and experiencing, although the whine factor with destiny's edge can get quite annoying at times. Most explorable modes are also fun and there are always people who want to do them but don't want to speed run (you just need to make sure you put that in the description). TA explorable is sort of a pain because if you wipe on the first boss you are better off resetting the instance (stupid wormface). But even taking that into consideration it's still not bad. The level 80 path can still be difficult for people who haven't done it before, so that's another one I'd do if I had a good chunk of time. Anywho I like dungeons and generally would be interested in going if you guys want so just hit me up in game anytime I do speed runs often but I also don't mind doing them normal and letting people really experience the dungeon. That is also fun

Deleted
    Any good beginners guides out there for GW2? Thinking of picking the game up but would be great if there was a guide covering all the basics of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Vereeax View Post
    Any good beginners guides out there for GW2? Thinking of picking the game up but would be great if there was a guide covering all the basics of the game.
    Reddit has a great source of information for new players. Here it is...

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/wiki/newplayers

not just stuns but blinds, snares, and even weakness

again this is just personal experience but I feel that I have more control of a fight on my Thief than my Warrior
    Oh ok, I can see what you mean then. I was just curious lol.

Weakness and Blind are not really CC in PVE. Just debuffs.

It might be a legitimate claim that a Warrior does have more actual CC than a Thief. Though the latter may very have more debuffs or conditions to apply- just not as many strict CC abilities.

I don't know Thief very well. But in any case, some of those condis are not CC.

10+ Year Old Account
    Info on this Friday's Ready Up:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/foru...st#post4230955

Hey all,

This week on Episode 18 of Ready Up, Josh will cover the ongoing Tournament of Legends qualifiers and the upcoming Guild Wars 2 International All-Stars Tournament at gamescom next month. Other topics up for discussion on this episode are China Joy, which is happening next week and the Immortal Kingdom Fractal Tournament happening this weekend. Also be sure to stick around for Karl McLain’s balance segment, Skill Bar.

Date/time: Friday, July 25 at 12:00pm PDT (18:00 UTC)
    To clarify a point in the original post:

Regarding the “Skill Bar” segment, we’re going to be covering future balance updates for both the ranger and engineer. We’re only covering two on each episode because we want to make sure we’re conveying the information in a more easily digestible manner, and we want to make sure we’re giving every profession its due in terms of coverage.

More professions will be covered in the coming weeks.
    -Grouch
    Valar morghulis