1. #36981
    The Lightbringer barackopala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chile, Viña del Mar
    Posts
    3,846
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    I'm pissed off against the lootboxes as well. I already hate Black Lion Chests and their stupid loot, but at least you can get keys by completings maps, but this?

    Fuck off, ANET.
    What pisses me off more than the RNG status of this is a discussion we had before on the expansion feel, it was lacking not only in content but in PURPOSE, yes the gryphon mount was there and people had a purpose to complete the maps, but the basic shitty skins could've been used as rewards for PoF content, anet fucked it up, and their balance changes were another big factor for me to despise its decision.

    "LETS NERF GOTL BUT NOT SPOTTER CUZ HURR DURR DONT BRING DRUIDS TO RAIDS" whilst doing nothing about CPS-Chrono requirements for pve meta
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

  2. #36982
    The Insane PACOX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The Upside Down
    Posts
    18,508
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    "LETS NERF GOTL BUT NOT SPOTTER CUZ HURR DURR DONT BRING DRUIDS TO RAIDS" whilst doing nothing about CPS-Chrono requirements for pve meta
    To be fair, PS was nerfed, other might shares were buffed. Non-tanks are only needed for alacrity now, Renegade alacrity was buffed. Now was Renegade alacrity buffed enough is the question.

    GOTL is OP. Whats going to happen with buffs like GOTL, EA, Spotter whatever the Rev damage buff is called, is that they are going to make them the same so that one class isn't viewed as "mandatory' because of a unique buff. The meta needs to be broken up. CPS is the laziest shit in the world, espically when you come up with other comps to get 25 stacks of might. If you every raided as a Chrono you know how annoying that shit is, also off-Chrono (the none tank chrono)feels exactly what its brought for...to be a buff bot and nothing more. Mirage does good dps but you won't see many in groups that can't think past the meta because "bitch, why aint you playing a chrono?!?". No other heal specs will ever been considered (and I know at least vent rev and firebrand can heal) will ever been considered as long as GoTL is a thing.

  3. #36983
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    So basically we have mount skin lockboxes, dye lockboxes and Black Lion lootboxes.
    I do like the Wardrobe unlock thing, though you don't buy it directly.

    I mean sure it's cosmetic and all I guess but 123 dollars for the skins is a bit excessive. I imagine those who praise GW2 like it's the greatest gift to mankind are going to jump out to defend this.
    I don't think most folks would buy the all-skin option, though it's presence is just a bit... ugh. What I do wish is that they had compartmentalized them more. I'd buy a couple more jackal boxes, but I don't want another Skimmer skin. If Skimmer skins were in a different box, much better. The random nature of it isn't bad only because there's only a few of them and none of them are really super-duper-exciting.

    I don't see much discussion about the 2k gem mount though, which is single purchase.

    My friends were talking to me about this yesterday and I can't blame them for quitting now. They mentioned lack of content as well as this and I'm quite glad I didn't reinstall it with what's coming on the horizon.
    There's plenty of content that people just aren't doing. Rewards suck for the effort in most of the later zones. This patch supposedly balanced some of it, but not sure. It was the same way with HoT, everyone remembers is fondly now, but it was a lot of complaining until the 3month patch or whatever.

    I'm not big on the PTR system, but it seems like this would be a good use of it. Someone could have told them "putting in 20 minutes for a green item isn't worth it".

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    I'm pissed off against the lootboxes as well. I already hate Black Lion Chests and their stupid loot, but at least you can get keys by completings maps, but this?

    Fuck off, ANET.
    Yeah, you'd think they could at least put these in BLC or as a reward for some achievement or something. Max out mastery for a mount, get a Mount Box!

    But they didn't. Now we get to see what the fall out is and how it hurts the game. I don't think I've seen anyone that LIKES this system, but some like myself just don't care, rather than hate it.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

  4. #36984
    The Lightbringer barackopala's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Chile, Viña del Mar
    Posts
    3,846
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    To be fair, PS was nerfed, other might shares were buffed. Non-tanks are only needed for alacrity now, Renegade alacrity was buffed. Now was Renegade alacrity buffed enough is the question.

    GOTL is OP. Whats going to happen with buffs like GOTL, EA, Spotter whatever the Rev damage buff is called, is that they are going to make them the same so that one class isn't viewed as "mandatory' because of a unique buff. The meta needs to be broken up. CPS is the laziest shit in the world, espically when you come up with other comps to get 25 stacks of might. If you every raided as a Chrono you know how annoying that shit is, also off-Chrono (the none tank chrono)feels exactly what its brought for...to be a buff bot and nothing more. Mirage does good dps but you won't see many in groups that can't think past the meta because "bitch, why aint you playing a chrono?!?". No other heal specs will ever been considered (and I know at least vent rev and firebrand can heal) will ever been considered as long as GoTL is a thing.
    PS nerf isnt that big considering you can fix it by just going on the old CondiPS Aristocracy runes, it was mostly an indirect nerf to the QT dmg focused variant.
    At best for healer you might wanna bring healing tempest as its pretty much meta in fotm100 but it's really really fucking lacking compared to druid (also spotter buff and to a point spirits).
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

  5. #36985
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Tyria. Now visiting the Crystal Desert.
    Posts
    2,610
    Seriously, I can't express how pissed off I am with the lootbox thingy - it would be a great move from ANET to make half of these skins obtainable via in-game achievments. Path of Fire is notorious for having little to no content outside of bounties and griffon, so adding new mounts skins for us to earn in-game would be great, but greed always takes over. Maybe it was NCsoft, maybe it was ANET. It doesn't matter, the damage is done.

    GW2 doesn't deserve this bad attention, and if things like this keep happening, I'm pretty sure that the game will die. As much as I love GW2, I'll jump off the boat if these stupid lootboxes keep happening in the game.

  6. #36986
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Seriously, I can't express how pissed off I am with the lootbox thingy - it would be a great move from ANET to make half of these skins obtainable via in-game achievments. Path of Fire is notorious for having little to no content outside of bounties and griffon, so adding new mounts skins for us to earn in-game would be great, but greed always takes over. Maybe it was NCsoft, maybe it was ANET. It doesn't matter, the damage is done.

    GW2 doesn't deserve this bad attention, and if things like this keep happening, I'm pretty sure that the game will die. As much as I love GW2, I'll jump off the boat if these stupid lootboxes keep happening in the game.
    Well by that logic you should have jumped off with dye kits.

    Because while you know what you CAN get it's a completely random chance. Just like a lootbox.

    And no it won't. Because you will have what are called "whales" willing to fork out the cash. Hell I have in lootbox games but with moderation. And if anything what has any chance of killing the game is if they pulled another HoT style intro multiple times.

    If it's cosmetic I don't mind but I'd rather the system not exist overall. Now Battlefront 2 until EA supposedly "change" it is a prime example of putting power behind lootboxes. And Shadow of War basically making it less time consuming to get the true ending I'm not ok with either.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-08 at 09:24 PM.

  7. #36987
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Tyria. Now visiting the Crystal Desert.
    Posts
    2,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Well by that logic you should have jumped off with dye kits.

    Because while you know what you CAN get it's a completely random chance. Just like a lootbox.

    And no it won't. Because you will have what are called "whales" willing to fork out the cash. Hell I have in lootbox games but with moderation.

    If it's cosmetic I don't mind but I'd rather the system not exist overall.
    Fortunately, Dye Kits and Black Lion Keys can be earned in-game, so I got no problem with that (I even complete maps with my toons to get keys and stuff).

    But locking 30 skins behind a random lootbox that costs more than 100 bucks to get them all is quite different, even more if you consider how lackluster in content Path of Fire is.

  8. #36988
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Fortunately, Dye Kits and Black Lion Keys can be earned in-game, so I got no problem with that (I even complete maps with my toons to get keys and stuff).

    But locking 30 skins behind a random lootbox that costs more than 100 bucks to get them all is quite different, even more if you consider how lackluster in content Path of Fire is.
    And?

    It's still a lockbox system. And Black Lion Keys ingame are sparse. You are guaranteed at least 5 from playing the story the first time and that's it last I remember. 3 from 1-80 (1 being on a weekly lockout), one from LS2 and one from LS3. Other sources are chances and some extremely rare ones at that. So the sparse sources will make you more likely to throw down the money for a key or kit.

    So again by your own logic you should have jumped off when these were a thing. Because it is the exact definition of a loot/lockbox. Earning it ingame doesn't change the definition because a lot of other games let you earn them ingame too.

    You can earn Overwatch and a lot of lockbox stuff ingame by playing for other games as well. Doesn't stop the chests and dye kits being a lockbox. 25 dye skins are locked behind the system in most of them.

    Only nearly decent thing about the Black Lion Chest is that you are almost guaranteed a token scrip. Although a lot of the recent weapon skins are goddamn ugly.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-08 at 09:32 PM.

  9. #36989
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    And?

    It's still a lockbox system.
    Sure, but he doesn't find them as bad. They're not "stupid lockboxes", they're just "lockboxes". :-p


    And Black Lion Keys ingame are sparse. You are guaranteed at least 5 from playing the story the first time and that's it last I remember. 3 from 1-80 (1 being on a weekly lockout), one from LS2 and one from LS3. Other sources are chances and some extremely rare ones at that. So the sparse sources will make you more likely to throw down the money for a key or kit.
    BLC's are very low importance for me, hardly ever something important. Couple that with the ability to purchase many of the results. If you got a random unlock mount and could resell it and maybe buy the one you want, it might not be so bad.

    So again by your own logic you should have jumped off when these were a thing. Because it is the exact definition of a loot/lockbox. Earning it ingame doesn't change the definition because a lot of other games let you earn them ingame too.
    Some things can be similar, but a touch too far.


    Apart from that, I was clearing out some bag space. I often have skins or item boxes that I store until I might need them, and I never bothered looking at the Elonian weapon skin included with the expac, just tossed the box in the bag and forgot about it. So I didn't realize until today that it's not a unique skin, it's just the rare skin that you get a billion of as you play the content. What a useless incentive to preorder.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

  10. #36990
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Sure, but he doesn't find them as bad. They're not "stupid lockboxes", they're just "lockboxes". :-p



    BLC's are very low importance for me, hardly ever something important. Couple that with the ability to purchase many of the results. If you got a random unlock mount and could resell it and maybe buy the one you want, it might not be so bad.


    Some things can be similar, but a touch too far.


    Apart from that, I was clearing out some bag space. I often have skins or item boxes that I store until I might need them, and I never bothered looking at the Elonian weapon skin included with the expac, just tossed the box in the bag and forgot about it. So I didn't realize until today that it's not a unique skin, it's just the rare skin that you get a billion of as you play the content. What a useless incentive to preorder.
    1. A lootbox is a lootbox. The definition doesn't change because you can earn it ingame. And dye kits are indeed just as stupid. It's an RNG chance of 25 colours with 6 low chance ones. Was hoping GW2 would be one of the few MMOs not to go down this road but now with mount skins it's becoming apparent it may.

    2. Last I remember there is some nifty cosmetic stuff that can only be obtained in there.

    3. Preorder incentives have been meh for a while. Heart of Thorns gave you a title. Not sure if it gave anything else since it's been like 2 years.

  11. #36991
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Tyria. Now visiting the Crystal Desert.
    Posts
    2,610
    Here is Sterling's video about the topic folks.

    For those who don't know him, he's an ex-game journalist that does the Jimquisition show, and he keeps pointing out the bullshit in the industry (Lootboxes are one of them!)


  12. #36992
    He is a bit misinformed about the game but whatever. The RNG part of it is what makes it awful. If you could sell the skins then that would alleviate it a little bit. Why would it be so hard to just sell each skin for 500 gems or whatever. Let people make informed choices on what they buy rather than a gambling system. The Reforged Warhound is too pricey in my opinion but at least people can see what they buy with that.

  13. #36993
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Central Tyria. Now visiting the Crystal Desert.
    Posts
    2,610
    Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    He is a bit misinformed about the game but whatever. The RNG part of it is what makes it awful. If you could sell the skins then that would alleviate it a little bit. Why would it be so hard to just sell each skin for 500 gems or whatever. Let people make informed choices on what they buy rather than a gambling system. The Reforged Warhound is too pricey in my opinion but at least people can see what they buy with that.
    2000 gems is insanely expensive for a single skin. You should get 5 skins for that price.
    Glider skins cost 400-800 gems, so mounts should cost the same, as they're exclusive to players that bought Path of Fire.

    Seriously, I don't understand the move from ANET. We're in the middle of a big lootbox controversy, why make a move like this now?

  14. #36994
    It is expensive (and it isn't just a reskin) but it is also there for you to see what you are getting. I can make an informed decision about it based on the price and and what I value it as. The RNG boxes is a gambling game. I'm much less bothered by the expensive skin than I am with RNG mount loot boxes.

  15. #36995
    Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    1. A lootbox is a lootbox. The definition doesn't change because you can earn it ingame.
    No one said they weren't lootboxes. You wanted to argue over why this lootbox is worse than the other loot boxes, because someone said "I'll jump off the boat if these stupid lootboxes keep happening in the game".
    Not "I'll quit if they do lootboxes", but "these stupid lootboxes".

    And dye kits are indeed just as stupid. It's an RNG chance of 25 colours with 6 low chance ones. Was hoping GW2 would be one of the few MMOs not to go down this road but now with mount skins it's becoming apparent it may.
    Again, the difference with dyes is you can buy the dye you want without ever buying a dye kit.

    2. Last I remember there is some nifty cosmetic stuff that can only be obtained in there.
    Yeah, they've usually had something unique, and the last year there's been a couple of account-bound items.

    3. Preorder incentives have been meh for a while. Heart of Thorns gave you a title. Not sure if it gave anything else since it's been like 2 years.
    Yeah, I guess, still seems pointless to give a skin that would be so plentiful. Could have at least done one of the rarer skins.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

  16. #36996
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    No one said they weren't lootboxes. You wanted to argue over why this lootbox is worse than the other loot boxes, because someone said "I'll jump off the boat if these stupid lootboxes keep happening in the game".
    Not "I'll quit if they do lootboxes", but "these stupid lootboxes".


    Again, the difference with dyes is you can buy the dye you want without ever buying a dye kit.


    Yeah, they've usually had something unique, and the last year there's been a couple of account-bound items.



    Yeah, I guess, still seems pointless to give a skin that would be so plentiful. Could have at least done one of the rarer skins.
    The rare dyes are an absolute boatload for some. Shadow Abyss springs to mind although that's probably dropped a tad.

    You can theoretically earn everything by farming gold but farming the stupid amounts for the conversion to gems these days you might as well throw down.

  17. #36997
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus Victoria View Post
    Seriously, I can't express how pissed off I am with the lootbox thingy - it would be a great move from ANET to make half of these skins obtainable via in-game achievments. Path of Fire is notorious for having little to no content outside of bounties and griffon, so adding new mounts skins for us to earn in-game would be great, but greed always takes over. Maybe it was NCsoft, maybe it was ANET. It doesn't matter, the damage is done.

    GW2 doesn't deserve this bad attention, and if things like this keep happening, I'm pretty sure that the game will die. As much as I love GW2, I'll jump off the boat if these stupid lootboxes keep happening in the game.
    Yeah, I can't believe they mismanaged this.

    I think a good policy would be- for every mount skin, weapon skin or outfit you add to the Gem store- add one achievable in game by a meta or collection or something.

    Seems like a good balance. You could even make them sister pieces that match- this way if you get the in game one you might be more likely to buy the sister piece in the gem store or vice versa.

    There is so much good in that game if managed right it would be insanely huge. They just keep colossally mismanaging it. You would think they would learn by now.....

    I think the mistake comes in when they worry too much about how much the gem store will bring in. I know they don't have a sub so that accounts for the ongoing profitability but if you just make a really sick game, the money will come rolling in because players are more likely to spend when they are having a good time. Just ask any casino.

    Also, no matter how much you like GW2 (and I do love the game) it is a really bad sign that this discussion is going on so soon after POF dropped. That means it went way flat after the initial excitement.

  18. #36998
    To be honest you can earn anything on the gem store by converting gold to gems (Unless you are a F2P player)

    But the conversion rates are so high it's better to just throw down money most of the time.

    From what friends have been telling me so far on top of this full on RNG fiasco it doesn't seem like PoF is worth the purchase or time.

    Plus with other MMOs coming out in the future I won't have time.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-11-08 at 10:48 PM.

  19. #36999
    PoF has been great other than this so I'm not sure what other things your friends have been telling you about it. It's such a shame about this gemstore update because the actual game update that it came with has been pretty good.

  20. #37000
    Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    PoF has been great other than this so I'm not sure what other things your friends have been telling you about it. It's such a shame about this gemstore update because the actual game update that it came with has been pretty good.
    Lack of meaningful content, meh story and other stuff.

    From videos I watched I can't see the £24.99 value either. I've looked at as many as I can find on events, story, maps and whatnot.

    Mounts to me is something this game should have had from day 1. Waypoints are a meh substitute imo.

    While I admit playing it would create a better opinion however from what I've seen I wouldn't really want to.

    As I said as well with the new WoW xpac and Classic on the way I don't want to dedicate time now only to drop it later. Been doing it too much with MMOs and I need to stop it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •