As a Gunlancer in MH series, the Gunblade looks really damn cool. It looks more like Switch-axe gameplay, but I love the mix swordplay and explosives, with some subtle ranged attacks thrown in.

As someone who had no interest in the Warrior class, this actually appeals to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Since Arthas used Frostmourne, which is a Runeblade, and Frostmourne's power eminates from those runes, that made him a Runemaster by default.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Dig that it changes between the gunblade and sword/oh pistol.

The magical ammo feels a bit odd for a Warrior - I haven't played mine in ages and don't know the HoT/PoF specializations well, but do they regularly use magic
    It was funny when I'm watching the video and trying to figure out what the new weapon was, since they have rifles/ sword/ greatsword already. Then at the end there they mention offhand pistol and I'm like "oh, gotcha". Should be neat enough, I assume some kind of necromancer/holo type "build up energy", but maybe an Adrenaline tweak.

For magic, hard to judge really, since a berserker is all on fire and stuff, but they have a torch, so that's not magic I guess. Maybe it depends on how "magic" it feels. I didn't really like the feel of Berserker, so hopefully this is fun and I can just swap that guy to this, assuming Asura get some nice animations with it.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    holo type
    From what I'm reading this seems to be the general consensus. But we've got the next beta event kicking off next week (Sept. 21-25) and I imagine they'll do another pre-beta specialization stream, so we'll find out for sure soon enough.

Virtuoso looks cool.
    Harbinger looks incredibly meh.
    Willbender looks like a less cool version of dual sword Revenant.
    Vindicator looks decent.
    Bladesworn looks a little cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Poppincaps View Post
    Basically Gunbreaker from Final Fantasy lol, looks really cool though. Honestly makes me want to play Warrior.
    I feel like Square Enix might file a CnD, but that's dope and very unexpected. Dig that it changes between the gunblade and sword/oh pistol.

The magical ammo feels a bit odd for a Warrior - I haven't played mine in ages and don't know the HoT/PoF specializations well, but do they regularly use magic?

Either way, dope. I'm jealous now, Willbender and the mobility was cool and all, but fuckin gunblades yo. Warrior population gonna be booming with wannabe Squall's runnin around.
    I don't get the FF gunblade comparisons. It looks and is wielded nothing like Squall's gunblade or Gunbreakers in FF14. The draw pose is indeed stereotypical anime samurai draw cuts, but that's it. No FF gunblade wielders ever used that pose. The Bladesworn's Gunsaber reminds me more of the swords the Cygnar use in Warmachine.

Except with fire themed elemental attacks rather than lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I don't get the FF gunblade comparisons. I
    Cuz it's a gun. with a blade. A gunblade.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I don't get the FF gunblade comparisons.
    It's literally a sword with a gun mounted on the base (or vice versa, if you prefer) and the video shows them swinging it with little explosions going off when it hits.

It's preeeeeeetty familiar.

That said, FF doesn't own the concept of gunblades, and it's not like every other fantasy trope isn't copied from everywhere else, so I'm not gonna bash ANet for using it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    It's literally a sword with a gun mounted on the base (or vice versa, if you prefer) and the video shows them swinging it with little explosions going off when it hits.

It's preeeeeeetty familiar.

That said, FF doesn't own the concept of gunblades, and it's not like every other fantasy trope isn't copied from everywhere else, so I'm not gonna bash ANet for using it.
    It also has inspiration from Samurai as well, but they say that it's a blade with magic imbued bullets loaded into the gun. Replace magic with Aether and that is quite literally the same description of the gunblade. I don't think anyone's mad about it, it's just kinda amusing. The elite spec looks really fun honestly.

Also elementalist Elite Spec announced

- - - Updated - - -

Do any of the elite specs announced in a new expansion share weapons? If not, then I guess the theory that Ranger is getting a hammer is out of the window. Which I'm happy with because I don't really like hammers as a weapon.

Basically Gunbreaker from Final Fantasy lol, looks really cool though. Honestly makes me want to play Warrior.
    Like a Gunbreaker/Samurai mix from FFXIV. Seems interesting.

Really does make me want to give it a try.

It also has inspiration from Samurai as well, but they say that it's a blade with magic imbued bullets loaded into the gun. Replace magic with Aether and that is quite literally the same description of the gunblade. I don't think anyone's mad about it, it's just kinda amusing. The elite spec looks really fun honestly.

[video=youtube;Nu1lYnbQmZM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu1lYnbQmZM[/vido]

- - - Updated - - -

Do any of the elite specs announced in a new expansion share weapons? If not, then I guess the theory that Ranger is getting a hammer is out of the window. Which I'm happy with because I don't really like hammers as a weapon.
    Both xpacs had classes that received the same weapon.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

These elementalists are a steady presence in melee combat
    Sure...on the floor...horizontal...like melee ele's already are : 3

I dig it though, any time they can break free of fantasy stereotypes like this I'm on board.

Pit Lord
    They do, Harbinger and Bladesworn for example are both pistol. The leak for the remaining elite spec weapons also came from an in-game box of equipment for each class which has been accurate for all the reveals thus far, pretty much confirming it

On the elementalist front I'm eager to actually play it during the beta. For my first legendary I'm making either The Shining Blade (because for all its flaws and weaknesses, weaver is still by far my favorite spec in this game) or Sharur (if Catalyst really wows me)
    Last edited by Cattleya; 2021-09-16 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    They do, Harbinger and Bladesworn for example are both pistol. The leak for the remaining elite spec weapons also came from an in-game box of equipment for each class which has been accurate for all the reveals thus far, pretty much confirming it

On the elementalist front I'm eager to actually play it during the beta. For my first legendary I'm making either The Shining Blade (because for all its flaws and weaknesses, weaver is still by far my favorite spec in this game) or Sharur (if Catalyst really wows me)
    Well as long as it has pets unlike Soulbeast, I'm sure I'll like it.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I was neutral towards the game getting fishing and boats now I'm interested. They've clearly put a lot thought into the systems. Now I'm excited for the finished products.
    Going back to this...I'm still struggling to find out why anyone should really care about fishing. Skiffs are kinda nice to a point, but they're functionally just another mount, and since we're getting co-op mounts that's not really unique. Fishing itself seems...fairly starightforward. I've been trying to find the "hook" (heh) for it or what's really unique about it compared to other MMO's - like GW2's mounts existing to serve various purposes beyond "go faster" - and I'm struggling.

I'm hoping they've got more exciting reveals planned, because while the classes are kinda cool so far I'm kinda losing interest. To me, it feels like they're relying a lot on "Cantha!" to drive excitement which seems to work for GW1 players, but for folks like myself who will be experiencing Cantha for the first time this is seeming a lot more like a fairly standard expansion with new story and content and classes and...that's kinda it : /

From what I'm reading this seems to be the general consensus. But we've got the next beta event kicking off next week (Sept. 21-25) and I imagine they'll do another pre-beta specialization stream, so we'll find out for sure soon enough.
    Yeah, I'll probably play them for a few minutes in the beta to see if I need to earn some more hero points ahead of time, but I already preordered so don't really need any convincing or whatnot.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/d...-guild-wars-2/

DX11 write up.

- - - Updated - - -

Going back to this...I'm still struggling to find out why anyone should really care about fishing. Skiffs are kinda nice to a point, but they're functionally just another mount, and since we're getting co-op mounts that's not really unique. Fishing itself seems...fairly starightforward. I've been trying to find the "hook" (heh) for it or what's really unique about it compared to other MMO's - like GW2's mounts existing to serve various purposes beyond "go faster" - and I'm struggling.

I'm hoping they've got more exciting reveals planned, because while the classes are kinda cool so far I'm kinda losing interest. To me, it feels like they're relying a lot on "Cantha!" to drive excitement which seems to work for GW1 players, but for folks like myself who will be experiencing Cantha for the first time this is seeming a lot more like a fairly standard expansion with new story and content and classes and...that's kinda it : /
    They way I see it, the skiff is the main mastery. Like gliders to HoT and mounts to POF. Fishing is just complementary and the 'emphasis' on it is just marketing filler. One of the the previewed skiff masteries alludes to water travel being somewhat important, it's related to hitting mobs in the water. I'm picturing a map with a big river or islands with enough stuff in/on the water that has to be dealt with. Something that would make the skiff preferable to the skimmer above above water.

Fishing will replace or add an element to gathering.

I mean the plot ultimately goes back to season 1 (Mai Trin seems to be involved) and will wrap up the entire dragon saga. A decade of the game. The emphasis on Cantha is the same emphasis they placed on Elona for POF. People who only played GW2 get a new place, people who placed GW1 get to see how those places changed in the 250 years between the games.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    They way I see it, the skiff is the main mastery. Like gliders to HoT and mounts to POF. Fishing is just complementary and the 'emphasis' on it is just marketing filler. One of the the previewed skiff masteries alludes to water travel being somewhat important, it's related to hitting mobs in the water. I'm picturing a map with a big river or islands with enough stuff in/on the water that has to be dealt with. Something that would make the skiff preferable to the skimmer above above water.

Fishing will replace or add an element to gathering.
    I could get skiffs being akin to mounts/gliding but like...we've already got water transport with skimmers and I don't see anything different enough that boats really do. If they become combat platforms though...I really hope not. Like, really, really hope not. That sounds kinda awful. Sure underwater combat still largely isn't great, but either fix it or don't design combat around water. I'm just not really seeing what it adds akin to what mounts added or gliding added.

For gathering, I don't mind it being another thing to gather but it seems fairly weird to spend so much time on what appears to be a fairly standard/run of the mill feature that (almost) every other MMO has.

DX11 post was nice, a bit too technical for my dumb self but I'm looking forward to the beat. The game desperately needs performance improvements somehow, any way they can get it, and some additional graphical goodies won't hurt.

I could get skiffs being akin to mounts/gliding but like...we've already got water transport with skimmers and I don't see anything different enough that boats really do. If they become combat platforms though...I really hope not. Like, really, really hope not. That sounds kinda awful. Sure underwater combat still largely isn't great, but either fix it or don't design combat around water. I'm just not really seeing what it adds akin to what mounts added or gliding added.

For gathering, I don't mind it being another thing to gather but it seems fairly weird to spend so much time on what appears to be a fairly standard/run of the mill feature that (almost) every other MMO has.
    To be honest, I feel like ANet's days of really trying to innovate are behind them. My guess is that fishing will likely be just like any other gathering where you see a ripple in the water and click it to get your 3 Trout.

I wouldn't mind being proven wrong, but then again...do we WANT them to put a lot of innovation into fishing of all things?

Just kinda feels like a lose-lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    My guess is that fishing will likely be just like any other gathering where you see a ripple in the water and click it to get your 3 Trout.
    I mean they've shown it off. It's fine. It's nothing bad or anything, but also nothing particularly different than what any other MMO with fishing has done. At least based off of what I've seen so far from the livestream etc. The only thing that's different about it in the context of GW2 is that the rod itself won't be limited use like other harvesting tools are.

It's weird to me though, because there are definitely some interesting things going on with the expansion with classes and we're seeing a bit of a "return" for ANet under their returning leadership. We've been getting some deep dives into topics like the brief server downtime and now DX11 which are a refreshing change of pace from their usual fairly quiet selves. We've got these livestreams they're doing reveals on which are pretty standard stuff for expansion ramp up/marketing, but also feel like ANet is finally being more open again. I'm just glad we know who's in charge of ANet and who's leading GW2 again because we haven't really known that for years.

I mean they've shown it off. It's fine. It's nothing bad or anything, but also nothing particularly different than what any other MMO with fishing has done. At least based off of what I've seen so far from the livestream etc. The only thing that's different about it in the context of GW2 is that the rod itself won't be limited use like other harvesting tools are.

It's weird to me though, because there are definitely some interesting things going on with the expansion with classes and we're seeing a bit of a "return" for ANet under their returning leadership. We've been getting some deep dives into topics like the brief server downtime and now DX11 which are a refreshing change of pace from their usual fairly quiet selves. We've got these livestreams they're doing reveals on which are pretty standard stuff for expansion ramp up/marketing, but also feel like ANet is finally being more open again. I'm just glad we know who's in charge of ANet and who's leading GW2 again because we haven't really known that for years.
    Oh, I didn't realize they had shown it already. I'm stupid.

Just went and found it, it looks...well, like fishing. Not as simple as I had assumed, but still nothing that I'd write home about.

Loved all 3 specs showcased today. Very technical ones and the amount of work they put into the warrior is insane. You can tell that spec was someone's baby they refused to compromise on.