I preordered End of Dragons, but never actually started it since other things kept popping up. On vacation this week, figured I'd finally get to it. Hop from ship to ship, get to shore, cutscene, crash. Reload, mid boats, hop around again, cutscene, crash. Check forum, reported bug from March, guess I just have to keep doing it until I get through it...

Not exactly encouraging, guess I'll give it a try tomorrow and do something else today.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Path of Fire

Few games have made me swear as much as travelling through PoF's maps. The density of mobs, their respawn rate, and their dismounting abilities make for an aggravating experience. I am supposed to be playing a video game for entertainment, but this is just not fun.

The PoF maps are designed around constantly switching mounts to use their different abilities. Raptor for long distance travel, Springer for jumping up cliffs, and Skimmer for gliding over fluids like water, quicksand, or sulfur. You need to be out of combat to mount up, but since you are constantly being whacked by something every 5 seconds it is very difficult to traverse the map. It also does not help that nearly everything will yank you off of your mount and drag you into combat. Riding through a cave? You get dismounted as a pack of spiders descend from the ceiling. Riding through the desert? You get dismounted by a dust mite you can't distinguish from the desert, and when you kill it, it splits into two more dustmites you have to fight. Riding along a highway? You run into a tripwire and get dismounted. Getting shot off of your mount by a sniper. And so on. (Yes, HoT had snipers that could shoot you out of the sky, but they were restricted to only one small area on one zone, they weren't prevalent everywhere!). And so on. PoF maps only become bearable once you obtain a flying mount that lets you bypass the mobs on the ground.

The high density of mobs and the high respawn rate means that you can't even as much as leave your computer to refill your water without your character being killed while you are away. There are far fewer waypoints in PoF maps, so if you want to teleport to a safe spot while you AFK, then you will have to spend several minutes riding back.

70% of PoF's maps look like this.

My other issue with the PoF maps is that they are overall visually boring. Aside from the Desolation, the maps are almost entirely flat deserts. The snowy mountain in the Desert Highlands, the swamp in Elon Riverlands, and the purple Brandstorm areas are pretty, but they are minor parts of their maps. The only map that overall looks interesting is the Desolation, with all of the blackened rock and the yellow sulfur ravines.

The Air Djinn's floating enclave with the colorful Islamic architecture and the sand magic was cool. It should have been a whole zone. A flying city.

The sulfur ravines of the Desolation.

Inside a Brandstorm cave in Vabbi.

Weird ruined pyramid in the Crystal Oasis.

Another thing that bothers me about PoF map design is that they don't take advantage of traversal mechanics introduced in HoT and PoF. There are no updrafts or ley lines of magic to glide on, no mushrooms to jump on and bounce off of, no lava tubes to hop into, etc. Yes, the new expansions wants to emphasize the new mechanics, the mounts, but I think old traversal mechanics could have been incorporated without usurping the mounts. For example, placing updrafts high up cliffs, so you have to skillfully use the Springer to get up to it.

The absence of Ley Lines is especially criminal. After Mordremoth died at the end of HoT, we began seeing ley lines popping up everywhere. Seeing ley lines spring up right next to Divinity's Reach emphasized that the fabric of the world was becoming unstable. Ley energy running rampant is still happening according to the story but for some reason you're not seeing it in PoF. Show, don't tell game!

On the subject of mounts, I find that the mounts are very... boring. Riding around a giant bunny isn't very fantastical. The only one that is cool is the Jackal made of swirling sand magic. It's a shame really, given how imaginative some of the concept art for the mounts were!

Story

The setup is that there is a four-way conflict between the elder dragon Kralkatorik, the god Balthazar, and the undead lich king Palawa Joko, and the heroes. Cool on paper. Ingame, however, the first 4 hours of PoF are pretty boring. You're just running from one NPC to the next listening to them give you directions or exposit the plot. The Elon Riverlands chapter is literally just you running back and forth across the desert between NPCs asking them for directions to the next map.

During the climatic confrontation with Balthazar, his face bugged out. Floating eyes and mouth syndrome.

I am not fond of how the unwinnable boss fight against Balthazar was executed. I was doing absolutely fine. Then his HP reached 92% and he decided to just stun me and it was cutscene time. It doesn't make him feel threatening. It feels cheap. It would have been better if, the less HP he had, the more his outgoing damage scaled up to unsurvivable levels. That way it would feel like you legitimately lost. Perhaps a future plot objective could be trying to find a way to negate that damage before the final boss battle with him at the end.

Vlast sacrifices himself to save the PC from Balthazar. Unfortunately Vlast's model bugged out during the in-engine segment, before the switch to the prerendered cutscene.

The last 1/3rd of PoF is pretty cool, with the player being killed, journeying through the underworld, reclaiming their name, coming back to life, impersonating Joko's archon and commanding his undead armies, and defending Vabbi from the simultaneous assaults of Balthazar's army and the humongous elder dragon Kralkatorik. I also liked the first phase of the final boss battle where you fought Balthazar's tank mech. The second phase against Balthazar on foot was pretty dull but being able to do the combo attack with Aurene you taught her in season 3 was cool.

I sorta wish we had gotten the Warbeast fight that was implied in Carlyn Lim's concept art, where Aurene was quite visibly strapped into the dragon. She would be screaming at the top of her lungs as the tank extracted more and more magic from her. Would've been visceral. In the fight we got, you can't see Aurene and you're only reminded that she's even inside by a one voice line during the fight (that may or may not have played). You feel more concerned for Kralkatorik, a dragon you had just seen for the first time 2 minutes ago than for Aurene, one of the main characters that the plot of GW2 has been revolving around since season 2.

Plothole: why did Kralkatorik attack Vabbi at the end? (Not factoring in later reveals/retcons from the end of season 4). We are 50 hours into the saga (and 5 years IRL since the vanilla game launched in 2012) and the one constant motivation of Elder Dragons that has been hammered over and over is that they hunger for magic. Nothing else matters to them whatsoever. Not only can Kralkatorik fly, he can turn into a sandstorm. He can either fly so high Balthazar can't hurt him or he can turn intangible. Either way, he has no reason to endanger himself to Balthazar nor any desire to him. He couldn't have been lured by Aurene since Kralkatorik was already lingering above Vabbi before Balthazar's tank stomped through the city, and never had any interest in his children anyway before now.

A rant about powerlevels

One thing I've liked about GW2 (and the franchise as whole) is that up until now, there has been a sense of threat.

In Guild Wars 1 Prophecies, you are just one man. You are not almighty. You cannot singlehandedly fend off the Charr invasion. So you are forced to flee from your homeland of Ascalon. In Factions, you and your entire party are KILLED by Shiro about half way through the campaign, and have to be resurrected by the gods to become their pawns in some sort of divine war.

In vanilla GW2, Zhaitan was a humongous flying dragon. You couldn't just walk up to him and slash at his ankles for 5 minutes and expect him to fall over dead. So the final battle of the vanilla story involved shooting at him with a cannon from an airship

Mordremoth had no body. Or rather, his consciousness had become distributed across a large swathes of Tyria, living in a vast network of plants and flora. There was no hope of burning out every Mordrem vine. So the only way to kill him was to hop into his mind and kill his consciousness.

Balthazar is one of the 6 human gods. He absorbed the power of a Bloodstone explosion that would have wiped out half of Tyria. Half way through PoF, Balthazar stuns and KILLS the PC. At the end of PoF, the PC engages Balthazar right as he is dealing great harm to Kralkatorik (another of the elder dragons, just like Zhaitan and Mordremoth). The PC didn't get any divine blessings from the gods, didn't get juiced up on magic, didn't exploit a weakness, nothing. The PC should have no hope of beating Balthazar. And yet, for some reason, I stabbed Balthazar for 5 minutes and that killed him, just like that. What?

Voice acting

This is supposed to be another continent, and yet I'm still hearing the same coastal city Californians I've been listening to for the past 50 hours. Not very immersive. Pretty disappointing given the lengths that GW2's competition have gone to differentiate different parts of their worlds. In WoW, Gilnean humans do not sound like Stormwind humans, or Kul'tiran humans. In FFXIV, Ishgardians sound different from Lominsans, or Domans, or Garleans, or Thavnairans.

Lex Lang won me over with his voice for the male Charr PC. He sounds like a new man when he returns from the dead, and you can hear the desperation in his voice during the final battle. I think I still prefer Ron Yuan, but I'm no longer dissatisfied with Lang.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    A rant about powerlevels

One thing I've liked about GW2 (and the franchise as whole) is that up until now, there has been a sense of threat.

In Guild Wars 1 Prophecies, you are just one man. You are not almighty. You cannot singlehandedly fend off the Charr invasion. So you are forced to flee from your homeland of Ascalon. In Factions, you and your entire party are KILLED by Shiro about half way through the campaign, and have to be resurrected by the gods to become their pawns in some sort of divine war.

In vanilla GW2, Zhaitan was a humongous flying dragon. You couldn't just walk up to him and slash at his ankles for 5 minutes and expect him to fall over dead. So the final battle of the vanilla story involved shooting at him with a cannon from an airship

Mordremoth had no body. Or rather, his consciousness had become distributed across a large swathes of Tyria, living in a vast network of plants and flora. There was no hope of burning out every Mordrem vine. So the only way to kill him was to hop into his mind and kill his consciousness.

Balthazar is one of the 6 human gods. He absorbed the power of a Bloodstone explosion that would have wiped out half of Tyria. Half way through PoF, Balthazar stuns and KILLS the PC. At the end of PoF, the PC engages Balthazar right as he is dealing great harm to Kralkatorik (another of the elder dragons, just like Zhaitan and Mordremoth). The PC didn't get any divine blessings from the gods, didn't get juiced up on magic, didn't exploit a weakness, nothing. The PC should have no hope of beating Balthazar. And yet, for some reason, I stabbed Balthazar for 5 minutes and that killed him, just like that. What?
    Lore-wise, Aurene was helping you in that fight, it wasn't just you fighting him and she's extremely powerful, just young and inexperienced and now nearly as powerful as she ultimately will end up being. Also, the sword Balthazar himself created was used against him. For game play reasons, obviously you're controlling your character but it wasn't your power alone that helped you defeat him.

Maybe the game didn't do a good enough job showing you these things, but the PC alone did not defeat Balthazar.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    Lore-wise, Aurene was helping you in that fight, it wasn't just you fighting him and she's extremely powerful, just young and inexperienced and now nearly as powerful as she ultimately will end up being. Also, the sword Balthazar himself created was used against him. For game play reasons, obviously you're controlling your character but it wasn't your power alone that helped you defeat him.

Maybe the game didn't do a good enough job showing you these things, but the PC alone did not defeat Balthazar.
    It is possible Aurene was the deciding factor. Balthazar did capture her to power up his tank so he could kill Kralkatorik, and he seemed to have been succeeding. It's just unclear how powerful Aurene was.

It doesn't seem like Aurene had absorbed any elder dragon or god magic prior to season 4. When Zhaitan died, Mordremoth absorbed his death magic. When Mordremoth died at the end of HoT, the cinematic showed ley line magic flowing from Mordremoth's tree in Dragon's Stand to Tarir and into the egg, so it seemed like Aurene absorbed Mordremoth's death and plant magic. But then in S3 and PoF, Aurene doesn't use any death or plant magic, and neither the Exalted nor Taimi say that Aurene has absorbed any magic (during a storyline in which we are constantly scrutinizing people and creatures for what kind of magic they have absorbed). Meanwhile, in S3E2 and S3E3, you fight minions of Jormag and Primordus that have death and plant magic, so it seems that those two dragons acquired Mordremoth's powers. AFAIK Aurene was unempowered until S4.

The only other uncorrupted, unempowered dragon we saw was Vlast, Aurene's elder brother. Except he was over two centuries old and was chained up by Balthazar. Aurene only hatched the year prior to PoF, in year 1229. So the PC and a one year old hatchling killed the god of war? The same god of war who had only a few days prior, bested Vlast and killed the PC?

Ultimately, power levels are meaningless anyway. It's just about the nature of an ongoing multiplayer game; we (the player characters) will always prevail in the end.

(And honestly, the whole concept of, "You died but you get to Goku through the afterlife and come back if you want." is an even bigger cheapening of the experience than beating a "stronger" character.)
    Last edited by Ghost of Cow; 2022-09-28 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Ultimately, power levels are meaningless anyway. It's just about the nature of an ongoing multiplayer game; we (the player characters) will always prevail in the end.
    I'd say that there is a line where there should be things out there more powerful than the player that should not be able to be killed without assistance. It's okay for there to be things that are more powerful than the player out there that aren't beaten.

(And honestly, the whole concept of, "You died but you get to Goku through the afterlife and come back if you want." is an even bigger cheapening of the experience than beating a "stronger" character.)
    I played Factions so the resurrection of the PC didn't really bother me. GW1 was a classical story in which Greek-like gods were very involved in what was going on and you travel to the Underworld and back. I'd imagine for a GW2-only player in which the gods are absent and the story is much more materialistic, the resurrection might feel cheap. But PoF doesn't try to trick the player into thinking that the PC's story is over and done with (unlike another character's resurrection that is coming up in season 4). In PoF, the moment you die you immediately wake in the Underworld where the story continues, and you get revived within the same sitting. It felt like a journey. Whereas that later character's death is framed as a dramatic loss and the end of that character, and you had to wait months for the next episode, and by that point the audience had already accepted that character's demise, only for that character to come back, so it feels cheap.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2022-09-29 at 12:09 AM.

It is possible Aurene was the deciding factor. Balthazar did capture her to power up his tank so he could kill Kralkatorik, and he seemed to have been succeeding. It's just unclear how powerful Aurene was.

It doesn't seem like Aurene had absorbed any elder dragon or god magic prior to season 4. When Zhaitan died, Mordremoth absorbed his death magic. When Mordremoth died at the end of HoT, the cinematic showed ley line magic flowing from Mordremoth's tree in Dragon's Stand to Tarir and into the egg, so it seemed like Aurene absorbed Mordremoth's death and plant magic. But then in S3 and PoF, Aurene doesn't use any death or plant magic, and neither the Exalted nor Taimi say that Aurene has absorbed any magic (during a storyline in which we are constantly scrutinizing people and creatures for what kind of magic they have absorbed). Meanwhile, in S3E2 and S3E3, you fight minions of Jormag and Primordus that have death and plant magic, so it seems that those two dragons acquired Mordremoth's powers. AFAIK Aurene was unempowered until S4.

The only other uncorrupted, unempowered dragon we saw was Vlast, Aurene's elder brother. Except he was over two centuries old and was chained up by Balthazar. Aurene only hatched the year prior to PoF, in year 1229. So the PC and a one year old hatchling killed the god of war? The same god of war who had only a few days prior, bested Vlast and killed the PC?
    You wield Sohothin when you fight Balthazar which used to be his sword while Aurene shields you with magic. Her brother died cause he used his body to protect the commander from an attack.

Aurene is basically the ultimate filter which I think is why she only manifests prismatic magic and doesn't gain plant/death magic. I'm pretty sure it was the power she gained when Mordremoth died that caused her to hatch.

Balthazar wasn't a god anymore when you fought him, according to gw1 lore and the lore that happend between gw1 and path of fire. Balthy was stripped of his power and a new god of war was made ( my theory is its the gw1 pc). He only had the power he absorbed from the one blood stone and a bit of power from jormag and primordious he took from them before the commander stopped him in season 3. He was on par of a very power being or demi god but he was no where near god hood. The thing is gw2 lore is mostly told through collections and books/ notes around the world. The gw2 wiki does a good job summary of the main story but it is hard to find all the little notes scattered around the world. The reason old kraka was there was because he could see the future as glint could wich was explained in season 2 partly.

I've really been getting into GW2 more this time than previous attempts, it's actually pretty fun and I love that there's really no FOMO driving me ... I do what I want when I want and take a break if I feel like it and never feel like I'm "falling behind".

But I'm wondering about legendaries. Are they really worth it? I look at them on the exchange and they're running between 17-30k each, which seems like about $200 or more of real life money if you were to buy the gold with gems. I imagine crafting them yourself is significantly less expensive but it seems to require content that I'm not interested in such as dungeons and other group content. If there were an automated matchmaker I'd be fine trying out the group content but I have no interest at all in manually made groups in any game. I play duos in Fortnite with my wife and that's the limits of people I want to organize with

I imagine they're also a significant timesink, which would be fine as that gives more structure to otherwise willy-nilly play.

Quote Originally Posted by VMSmith View Post
    But I'm wondering about legendaries. Are they really worth it?
    Gameplay wise, absolutely not. You can buy a level 80 exotic weapon with the stats you want off of the market board for just 5 gold, and it will never need to be replaced. You're probably never going to use more than 1 or 2 stat combinations, maybe 3 at most. So that's just 15 gold. If you do ranked SPvP then you can get gold very very easily just doing a couple matches every day. Ascended and legendary equipment have an extremely marginal stat increase over exotic gear, to the point that the stat increase is hardly noticeable, and there is no content in the game that requires having BIS gear. The only reason to get a legendary is if you really like the look of it.

- - - Updated - - -

I imagine they're also a significant timesink
    Right now the easiest legendary weapons to acquire the gen 3 Aurene legendaries. If you do the Season of Dragons meta-achievement from going through the living world storyline, you get a free gen 3 precursor, which will shave off a few hundred gold. You will still need to spend a lot of money on mats. It used to be that the timegated Antique Summoning Stones were the most expensive mat, but it's been 8 months since EoD released and auction house prices for them have gone down. The most expensive part of the legendary are the mystic clovers. You can either obtain them from the monthly login reward by picking the legendary crafting mats chest and doing Icebrood Saga SPvP reward tracks, or you can craft them but this is extremely expensive. Requires 1 Obsidian Shard, 1 Mystic Coin (VERY EXPENSIVE), 1 Glob of Ectoplasm, and 6 Philosophers Stones. Receipe has a 33% chance to give a Mystic Clover and a 66% chance to give you mats, so you might have to do this 114 times to get 38 clovers. If you plan to use this method, do it first because the mats might be useful for the other components.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not interested in such as dungeons and other group content
    Aside from the Gift of Battle, legendary weapons do not require you to do any dungeons or fractals or raids or whatever. Almost all of the mats are acquired from the open world and/or the auction house. The only exception is the aforementioned Gift of Battle, which is from a WvW reward track. Go into WvW. Follow your side's zerg. Keep your participation tier up at 6. After 8 hours you will have the Gift. You can speed this process up by 1. using your guild's 10% WvW reward track buff, 2. using a celebration or birthday booster for 10% more WvW reward track exp, 3. buying a 5% WvW reward track exp enrichment, and 4. using heroic and black lion boosters.

Full gen 3 weapon mats and where to get them here (prices written down at the end of June so they may not reflect current auction house prices):

Spoiler: 
    To make a Gen 3 Aurene Legendary, you need:

1x Gift of Jade Mastery
    1x Draconic Tribute
    1x Legendary Weapon Gift
    1x Precursor Weapon

Start with Gift of Jade Mastery, because you get lots of materials you need to craft other components. To create this, you need:
    1x Gift of Cantha (100% EoD map completion)
    100x Antique Summoning Stones (timegated, you can buy it off of the trading post)
    1x Gift of the Dragon Empire
    1x Bloodstone Shard (buy for 200 spirit shards, obtained from PvP or WvW reward tracks, hardest part of the legendary)

Gift of the Dragon Empire requires 100 Jade Runestones (looted from EoD jumping puzzles or bought from the TP), 200 Chunks of Pure Jade (mined from Dragon's End, or bought from TP for cheap), 100 Chunks of Ancient Ambergris (bought from a vendor in exchange for fish, or bought from TP), and 5 Blessings of the Jade Empress (complete meta event on all four EoD maps, or buy from TP for cheap to unlock the vendor. Then buy each Blessing for 500 Imperial Favors, so you need 2,500 favors total, which you get from doing EoD events).

Draconic Tribute:
    1x Gift of Condensed Might
    1x Gift of Condensed Magic
    38 Mystic Clovers
    5 Amalgamated Draconic Lodestone

Gift of Condensed Might requires:
    1x Gift of Claws
    1x Gift of Scales
    1x Gift of Bones
    1x Gift of Fangs

You need to buy the receipe for 10 gold each from a vendor near the mystic forge. Your need Artificer, Huntsman, or Weaponsmith crafting skill over level 400. For each gift, you need 100 tier 6 materials, 250 tier 5 mats, 50 tier 4 maters, 50 tiers 3 mats. Tier 3, 4, and 5 mats are bought for dirt cheap off of the TP. T6 mats can also be bought off of the TP but are more expensive. You can also buy T6 mats with laurels, and bags of T5 and T6 mats with Unbound Magic (LWS3 currency, buy in Ember Bay because it's cheaper) or Volatile Magic (LWS4).

Gift of Condensed Magic
    1x Gift of Blood
    1x Gift of Venom
    1x Gift of Totems
    1x Gift of Dust
    Same process as Gift of Might

38x Mystic Clovers
    Fastest (and most expensive) way is to craft them. Requires 1 Obsidian Shard, 1 Mystic Coin (VERY EXPENSIVE), 1 Glob of Ectoplasm, and 6 Philosophers Stones. Receipe has a 33% chance to give a Mystic Clover and a 66% chance to give you mats, so you might have to do this 114 times to get 38 clovers. If you plan to use this method, do it first because the mats might be useful for the other components.

The other way to get Mystic Clovers is from doing
    PvP and WvW reward tracks:
    Gift of Battle WvW reward track (gives 2 Mystic Clovers but you need to do this track anyway to get the Gift of Battle)
    Drizzlewood Coast WvW and PvP tracks, which give a total 14 mystic clovers each, for a total of 28. Requires beating Icebrood Saga episode 3.
    Bjora Marches WvW and PvP reward tracks give 11 mystic clovers, for a total of 22 Mystic Clovers if you do both. Requires beating Icebrood Saga episode 1.
    Grothmar Valley WvW and PvP track, gives 9 clovers each, for a total of 18. Requires beating Icebrood Saga prologue.
    Final chest of daily login reward
    If you like doing Strikes or Fractals, you can also buy mystic clovers.

5 Amalgamated Draconic Lodestone
    Can be bought off of the TP
    You can also craft them, but it is more expensive then just buying the finished product off of the TP.

Legendary Weapon Gift
    100x Mystic Runestones (bought for 1 gold each, 100 gold total, requires the last tier of the Tyria legendary crafting mastery)
    1 Gift of the Mists
    1 Gift of Research
    1 Themed Poem

Gift of the Mists requires:
    1 Gift of Glory (bought for 250 shards of glory, which you get buy PvPing or buy from TP)
    1 Gift of War (buy with 250 memories of battle by WvWing or buy from TP)
    1 Cube of Stabilized Dark Energy (need a crafting profession over level 500, requires 75 stabilizing Matrix bought on TP, and 1 Ball of Dark Energy, which you get buy salvaging ascended weapons or armor. Buy an ascended Salvage Kit from a PvP, WvW, or Fractal NPC, and salvage any useless armor you have).
    1 Gift of Battle (from WvW reward track. Keep your participation tier up at 6. This will take about 8 hours. You can speed this up by 1. using your guild's 10% WvW reward track buff, 2. using a celebration or birthday booster for 10% more WvW reward track exp, 3. buying a 5% WvW reward track exp enrichment, and 4. heroic and black lion boosters).

Gift of Research
    250x Thermocatalytic Reagents (bought for dirt cheap from a vendor)
    500 Hydrocataltyic reagents (bought using research notes. You need 2,500 research notes total. Notes obtained by salvaging with your Jade Bot. One of the most efficient ways is to salvage potions bought off of the trading post. The potions must be at least level 25.).
    250 exotic essences of luck (from salvaging unidentified gear, or buying globs of ectoplasm off of the TP and salvaging them. Then go to the artificing station and convert essences of luck into exotic luck).

Themed Poem requires:
    10x Tales of Adventure (obtained by replaying EoD story missions daily or buy from TP for cheap)
    10x Lamplighter's Badges (complete EoD maps or buy from TP)
    1 Sheet of Premium Paper (buy from TP)
    1x Tier 7 Weapon Part (you need crafting discipline level 500, huntsman for bows or weaponsmith for the rest).

Precursor weapon
    You can do the Return to Living World meta achievement to get one for free, or buy from TP. If you craft it, you need to buy the receipe which costs 10x Tales of Adventure (obtained by replaying EoD story missions daily or buy from TP for cheap). You need crafting profession level 500.

If you craft it, you need:
    100x Memories of Aurene (you get 5 each day from doing the Dragon's End meta event, and 5 each day from doing Dragonstorm, or buy from TP).
    1x transcendent Crystal (10x globs of ectoplasm, bought from TP, 1x Eldritch Scroll bought for 50 Spirit Shards, 100x hydrocatalytic reagents
    2x fortified precursor components (you can buy everything off of TP except Blessing of the Jade Empress. To unlock the vendor, you need 4 statuettes which you get from EoD meta events or you can buy them from TP for cheap. Then you buy each Blessing for 500 Imperial Favors each, which you get by doing EoD events.

6/30/2022 trading post calculations:

Gift of Jade Mastery
    100x Antique Summoning Stones = 724.41 gold
    100x Jade Runestones = 48.24 gold
    200x Chunks of Pure Jade = 6.36 gold
    100x Chunks of Ancient Ambergris = 312.64 gold
    = 1,091.65 gold needed to craft gift of Jade Mastery

Draconic Tribute
    80 gold to buy Gift of Might and Magic receipes
    Gift of Condensed Might mats = 82 gold
    Gift of Condsensed Magic mats = 96 gold
    5x Amalgamated Draconic Lodestones = 52.50 gold
    = 310.50 gold needed to craft Draconic Tribute
    (NOTE: if you do not have the 38 mystic clovers required, then you might need to drop another 90 gold on buying 116 mystic coins to salvage mystic clovers)

Legendary Weapon Gift
    100x Mystic Runestones = 100 gold
    Gift of the Mists = 19 gold
    Gift of Research = 4 gold
    100 mystic runestones = 100 gold
    10 Tales of Adventure = 2.74 gold
    10 Lamplighters Badge = 48 gold
    Other themed Poem mats = 10 gold
    = 273.74 gold to buy Legendary Weapon Gift mats

Legendary precursor
    100x Memories of Aurene = 64 gold
    1x Transcendent Crystal = 8 gold
    2x fortified precursor components = 20 gold
    = 92 gold to buy precursor weapon mats
    If the precursor itself is bought from the TP, is costs about 155 to 190 gold. You can do the Return to Living World meta achievement to get a precursor for free.

TOTAL = 1767.89 gold if you buy all mats you can off of the TP.

To buy the mats with real money, this requires 6,011 gems, which translates into $75.14.

Buying a finished Aurene legendary off of the AH costs about 3,100 gold, which is 10,540 gems, which is $131.75.

If you work a minimum wage job, you can make 233 gold per hour. It would take you 7.6 hours to earn the gold required to buy all of the mats, or 13.3 hours to buy the finished legendary. If you set aside one hour of your daily wage for GW2, then you can save enough money to buy the legendary weapon within 1 week (mats) or 2 weeks (finished legendary). This might sound ridiculous... until you consider that the Gift of Battle - just one component of the legendary - requires you to spend 8 hours of grinding in WvW, aka $120 of your time. In the time you spent grinding just for the Gift of Battle, you could have earned enough money to buy the finished legendary.

The vast majority of the gold cost is from the 100x Antique Summoning Stones (timegated, requires doing daily Dragon's End and Dragonstorm, or bought from the TP for 724.41 gold) and the
    100x Chunks of Ancient Ambergris (timegated, daily fishing, or bought from TP for 312.64 gold).

The Gift of Condensed Might and the Gift of Condensed Magic is going to run you about 200 gold if you buy the T6 mats off of the TP. You need two gifts PER LEGENDARY ITEM! A full set of legendary armor can easily run you over 1,200+ gold in just buying vicious fangs and such. You should buy order T5 mats and then use material promotion to get T6 mats (https://gw2efficiency.com/currencies/spirit-shards scroll down to "Fine crafting materials" to see which ones are worth it, generally everything except dust and claws). Saves a lot of gold in the long run. Make no mistake though, T6 mats will still be by far the biggest expense with legendaries. Promoting mats saves you a couple dozen gold per piece but it's still gonna be a fair bit in total.

Dont bother buying mats off the auction house, just farm Dragonfall for gold and earn volatile magic, then buy trophy boxes and then upgrade t5 mats youll inevitably get, and if you really want to do promotions for profit, look into lodestones.

If you want to make legendaries, you need to wait until you have finished most of the GW2 story before you can actually get them. LWS3 and LWS4 will help you get mats. PvP reward tracks unlocked in Icebrood Saga helps you get mystic clovers. Dragonfall helps you get gen 3 legendary weapon precursors. Dragonfall and Dragon's End gives you the timegated stones you need for the gen 3 weapons. And you can't start farming in old zones for Zhaitan or Mordremoth weapons until you already have the Aurene legendary. You can do the prep work for obtaining legendary weapons right away by doing WvW for the Gift of Battle, and PvP for tickets, as well as logging in every day to get spirit shards, tomes, and mystic clovers, but you will have to wait until you finish GW2 to get the legendary stuff.

Also, if you do use the TP, don't just buy straight off of it. Put in buy orders and wait a bit. You can get what you want for a lot cheaper.

- - - Updated - - -

Legendary armor is another question. It is much more difficult to obtain than legendary weapons. You either have to raiding, or you have to SPvP and WvW for about half a year. Only the raid legendary armor has cool visual effects. The SPvP and the WvW armors don't have any sparkly effects and don't look prestigious, so you probably shouldn't bother with them for their looks. Again, you can buy exotic gear off of the auction house for a few gold so there isn't really any need to get legendary armor.

Legendary trinkets are obtained from doing LWS3 and LWS4 achievements. They have visual effects that you may or may not like.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2022-10-01 at 09:26 PM.

Right now the easiest legendary weapons to acquire the gen 3 Aurene legendaries.
    Thank you for the ton of great info on the topic! It sets me in the right direction for figuring out if I want to do this or not. I've played around just a tiny bit with WvW and it seemed fun-ish, at least, so that may not be too bad. I'm also very glad to see that no group content is required. Something I had read made me think it would be and I just really don't care for instanced dungeon-type content in any way.

I've really been getting into GW2 more this time than previous attempts, it's actually pretty fun and I love that there's really no FOMO driving me ... I do what I want when I want and take a break if I feel like it and never feel like I'm "falling behind".

But I'm wondering about legendaries. Are they really worth it? I look at them on the exchange and they're running between 17-30k each, which seems like about $200 or more of real life money if you were to buy the gold with gems. I imagine crafting them yourself is significantly less expensive but it seems to require content that I'm not interested in such as dungeons and other group content. If there were an automated matchmaker I'd be fine trying out the group content but I have no interest at all in manually made groups in any game. I play duos in Fortnite with my wife and that's the limits of people I want to organize with

I imagine they're also a significant timesink, which would be fine as that gives more structure to otherwise willy-nilly play.
    Where legendary items get their value is if you're the sort that wants to play a wide variety of characters and specs and frequently switch. Since they can switch to any stat combination at any time, freely swap out runes and such without losing them, and are unlocked for all characters on the account via the armory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    Where legendary items get their value is if you're the sort that wants to play a wide variety of characters and specs and frequently switch. Since they can switch to any stat combination at any time, freely swap out runes and such without losing them, and are unlocked for all characters on the account via the armory.
    So they're mostly useful for alts, then? They might be something I can ignore then, as I'm only interested in playing two characters at most, maybe a third. Warrior, elementalist and ranger are all I'm working on and I may not really play the ranger much at all.

So they're mostly useful for alts, then? They might be something I can ignore then, as I'm only interested in playing two characters at most, maybe a third. Warrior, elementalist and ranger are all I'm working on and I may not really play the ranger much at all.
    Not just alts, even with just one character you might want to try a lot of different builds and stats/runes/etc in different types of content, and legendary stuff makes that free and convenient.

That said, if you just play one or two characters you'll spend more getting the legendary stuff than you'll probably ever save, but it's one of the few built-in "goals" in the game, so eh.