Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    I've noticed quite a few reviews claiming that GW2, unlike WAR, AION or AoC, actually lives up to modern standards of how the controls work, you know, as smoothly as WoW.

However, I've seen that, in ingame footage (as far as it exists up to this point), when your character strafes (sidesteps), it glitches in a weird way, for instance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs#t=2m55s (especially when the character moves around in and leaves the building). In other games, this was a good indicator for bad design when it comes to how the character moves about in the world...
    You know the videos that are on youtube and the GW2 website. Are entirely alpha footage, so it's not going to be perfect. So it won't be like that when the game ships, they've already stated they know theres glitchs like that and they will all be sorted when open beta hits.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed quite a few reviews claiming that GW2, unlike WAR, AION or AoC, actually lives up to modern standards of how the controls work, you know, as smoothly as WoW.

However, I've seen that, in ingame footage (as far as it exists up to this point), when your character strafes (sidesteps), it glitches in a weird way, for instance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs#t=2m55s (especially when the character moves around in and leaves the building). In other games, this was a good indicator for bad design when it comes to how the character moves about in the world...
    Do you mean the stopping animation? I didn't really see any obvious glitches, might just be completely missing it ofc movement looks pretty nice imo. Remember it's alpha, they'll more than likely be fixed by now
    Last edited by jvbastel; 2011-05-11 at 02:57 PM.

However, I've seen that, in ingame footage (as far as it exists up to this point), when your character strafes (sidesteps), it glitches in a weird way, for instance (especially when the character moves around in and leaves the building). In other games, this was a good indicator for bad design when it comes to how the character moves about in the world...

I honestly don't see what you're talking about. But of course that there are glitches here and there. The game footage that was used in that video is from august 2010, and played in Germany on a US based server.

Deleted
    dislike the way characters stops up, should be more like wow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by digitali View Post
    dislike the way characters stops up, should be more like wow
    Try running at a decent pace, then stopping instantly. Doesn't work, your body will not do it. They've just added some realism to it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Try running at a decent pace, then stopping instantly. Doesn't work, your body will not do it. They've just added some realism to it.
    yea i dont care about realism in a game when its just annoying

Deleted
    yea i dont care about realism in a game when its just annoying
    So far it's only annoying to you. So if you don't want to play that's fine, stick with WoW.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    So far it's only annoying to you. So if you don't want to play that's fine, stick with WoW.
    never said that i wouldn't play it now did i, whats wrong with criticizing guild wars 2. I aint no retarded gw fanboi nor wow fanboi

Deleted
    never said that i wouldn't play it now did i, whats wrong with criticizing guild wars 2. I aint no retarded gw fanboi nor wow fanboi
    I didn't say there was anything wrong with it. I didn't claim you to be a fan boy of either game. You need to remember Ant is making their own MMO, not copying everything from everywhere else like the traditional MMO's are doing at the moment, they add small things like hte running animation you meantion to create their own game. I personally like the touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    I have to agree on the stopping movement I don't really like it either, looks too exaggerated.

But it might not be final and it certainly isn't game-breaking.
    In addition we don't know how it feels in game. It could be just a cosmetic animation that doesn't affect the controls at all.

Besides, didn't Arenanet mention that they actually are in pre-alpha stage right now? Not IN alpha stage as mentioned a couple of times in the post above.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Lions Arch blog and video just posted today.

http://www.arena.net/blog/video-city-of-lions-arch
    Looks lovely, can't wait. Also, that music is so nostalgic...

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Instead of making a new thread to ask this question, I'll ask it here. I saw this thread pop up on the front page a few days ago, and GW2 looks like its going to be pretty good. I never played the first game, and I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to play through the first game sometime before GW2 comes out.

The thing that really attracts me for GW2 is the lack of a tank/healer/dps assignments and that people are responsible for themselves.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

If you want to understand the lore for gw2 better then it would be good to play the first. But theres not much else you could get from the first game besides the heirloom type items and titles

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the quick response. And yeah, I'd kinda like to know the lore. I'm a story nerd in what ever game I play.

Also, I saw there are multiple expansions for GW... would all those be worth purchasing too? Or would just GW give me the infos I need.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

The only real connection between the two games is the lore. However, one benefit by playing GW is that you can fill out your Hall of Monuments which will give you "heirloom" type equipment for GW2. Now keep in mind that this won't give GW players an advantage as the HoM armor and weapons don't give a statistical advantage over something you get at the appropriate level in GW2. They just have a unique skin.

---------- Post added 2011-05-11 at 11:16 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. And yeah, I'd kinda like to know the lore. I'm a story nerd in what ever game I play.

Also, I saw there are multiple expansions for GW... would all those be worth purchasing too? Or would just GW give me the infos I need.
    If you are just doing it for lore reasons than you can get away with just getting Prophecies and Eye of the North. But the package deals are really cheap that you might just want to get all of the campaigns.

And don't forget that Guild Wars 2 plays in fact 250 years after Guildwars 1.
    So there will be many new things even for "veterans". I'm quite sure that anything will get explained anyway. (or partially even retcon'd)
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

Quote Originally Posted by georgevonfranken View Post
    I havnt played the first game but i believe if you want the story its best to get all the expansions
    well technically there is only one expansion

And Factions and Nightfall lore is not really relevant for GW2 yet (for the future expansions of GW2 I imagine they will be).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Try to go to http://www.guildwarsguru.com/forum/index.php and read up on stuff there (don't make a "hi I'm new what's this game about" thread though).

Unlike WoW you actually get the lore from playing through the storyline of the game so it's a pretty good way to learn about it.
    Thanks for all the quick responses and I'll check out the package deals as I'm going to have a month off work coming up.

And Maklor, thanks for the link. PS: I love your sig.