As I'm listening to the PAX 2011 panel, something clicked in my head while the lack of Tank/Healer/DPS roles was being discussed. The difficulty and skill cap of GW2 PvE content will be very high. The speaker they had on gave the example of a warrior being able to run in and throw up his shield for only a few seconds while his allies healed themselves. The warrior would then have to immediately step off and let someone else tank the damage, or risk death. It sounds like players will not be able to simply stand there and take damage the entire fight. Very short lasting mitigation skills with cooldowns are necessary in order for someone to tank efficiently.

Looking at the wiki, the skill that the Warrior used in that example is Shield Stance, which blocks incoming melee/projectile attacks for a short time on a 25 second cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrowmore View Post
    As I'm listening to the PAX 2011 panel, something clicked in my head while the lack of Tank/Healer/DPS roles was being discussed. The difficulty and skill cap of GW2 PvE content will be very high. The speaker they had on gave the example of a warrior being able to run in and throw up his shield for only a few seconds while his allies healed themselves. The warrior would then have to immediately step off and let someone else tank the damage, or risk death. It sounds like players will not be able to simply stand there and take damage the entire fight. Very short lasting mitigation skills with cooldowns are necessary in order for someone to tank efficiently.

Looking at the wiki, the skill that the Warrior used in that example is Shield Stance, which blocks incoming melee/projectile attacks for a short time on a 25 second cooldown.
    I really hope that they show some dungeon footage soon, or maybe include a dungeon in one of the demos in the near future. We really haven't seen much regarding major PvE outside of outdoor encounters that have been dumbed down for new players. It'd be really cool to see how they handle the mobs in dungeons. If what you're saying actually happens in-game (and I'm sure ArenaNet won't disappoint) then it should make for a very interesting experience.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I really hope that they show some dungeon footage soon, or maybe include a dungeon in one of the demos in the near future. We really haven't seen much regarding major PvE outside of outdoor encounters that have been dumbed down for new players. It'd be really cool to see how they handle the mobs in dungeons. If what you're saying actually happens in-game (and I'm sure ArenaNet won't disappoint) then it should make for a very interesting experience.
    Yeah this is the best they have right now. Although to be honest it's quite a lot of dungeon gameplay, plus the cinematic. Even though it's only for the 1 dungeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Screamheart View Post
    Yeah this is the best they have right now. Although to be honest it's quite a lot of dungeon gameplay, plus the cinematic. Even though it's only for the 1 dungeon.
    I remember reading somewhere on Guru (or maybe here? I don't remember where, exactly), but I recall it saying that the footage here wasn't what the actual dungeon would be like, but it was mainly a sneak peek with a couple of characters showing off their abilities. I'm not sure if what they were saying was true or not, but I guess we won't be sure until we learn more.

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe thats the story mode of the dungeon aka easy mode.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know if I can last until they announce a release date, and even then lasting the countdown until it's released. I want this game NOW!!!!!

On the topic of Mesmer, dont forget about this interview:

http://www.cdaction.pl/news-20880-6/...flannumem.html

CDA: I think one of you promised players who had played the Mesmer in GW1, that in GW2 they would find a profession to fill their expectations. I'll ask this way, then: have we already seen the profession that meets their expectations?

EF: That's... a very interesting question. We have certainly seen a few professions that can fit some of their expectations, but I don't think we have seen the character that would best fit their expectations.

15+ Year Old Account
    I expect final class will be Illusionist or something related to mesmer, i hope it isn't though as i really dislike the class. Have no idea why so many people like it, give something not done before! (Hard to do in this day and age but still!)

Also as of the PAX 2011 panel, the trait system is being redone from the ground up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX65SS6emog#t=1m45s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    I expect final class will be Illusionist or something related to mesmer, i hope it isn't though as i really dislike the class. Have no idea why so many people like it, give something not done before! (Hard to do in this day and age but still!)
    I think a druid or shaman type class would fit in nicely. Doesn't have to have those names, just a nature based caster. Since Necro has shadow covered, guardian has light/holyish, and elementlist has everything else.
    WoW Hunter WarriorPaladin Death Knight
    D3 Crusader
    Gw2 Lvl 80 Dragon Hunter, Lvl 80 Warrior, Lvl 80 Revenant
    Bnet GrapeSoda#1671
    Gw2 GrapeSoda.5980
    Hit me up, let's play.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuj View Post
    I think a druid or shaman type class would fit in nicely. Doesn't have to have those names, just a nature based caster. Since Necro has shadow covered, guardian has light/holyish, and elementlist has everything else.
    Guild wars has never really done anything with nature based magic, but a druid would be an exciting addition

Elementalist is a shaman like class, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Guild wars has never really done anything with nature based magic, but a druid would be an exciting addition
    Elementalists have an air attunement... aka lightning and wind spells... does it get more nature-y than that?

10+ Year Old Account
    i always saw the guardian as using spirit magic, just doesn't look too light/holy to me but the skill names do support that idea

Quote Originally Posted by renegade801 View Post
    Elementalists have an air attunement... aka lightning and wind spells... does it get more nature-y than that?
    They cant use razor leaf though. Nothing in guild wars fights with plant-like magic.

If you want to convince a friend to play Guild Wars 2, show them this!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by renegade801 View Post
    Yeah considering air is an element, covered by an elementalist. When i shouldn't have mentioned shaman on a WoW fan site, figures most people here would be thinking like that.

I was thinking more of a nature based caster, like attacking people with poisonous thorns or roots from the ground. Using solar energy for main attacks, then support by growing trees from the ground to shield or something. This is all just an opinion. To equate it to wow I would say closer to a balance druid, it would also fit nicely with the Sylvari.
    WoW Hunter WarriorPaladin Death Knight
    D3 Crusader
    Gw2 Lvl 80 Dragon Hunter, Lvl 80 Warrior, Lvl 80 Revenant
    Bnet GrapeSoda#1671
    Gw2 GrapeSoda.5980
    Hit me up, let's play.

So, another question about Hall of Monuments crossover. If, by release of Guild Wars 2, I have only, say, 27 points or so towards "heirloom" items, and a couple of months after release I go back and get those last three points, will I still get the 30-point rewards, or will it be too late?
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    So, another question about Hall of Monuments crossover. If, by release of Guild Wars 2, I have only, say, 27 points or so towards "heirloom" items, and a couple of months after release I go back and get those last three points, will I still get the 30-point rewards, or will it be too late?
    I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    Not sure whats your fair amount, but you can get these for 4k if you just leave buy message on trade at Central Transfer Chamber (American District). Probably even 3k, but I bought like 10 of these for 4k couple days ago for friend.

That's pretty cheap indeed, as said, been a long while since i last played :P