I really think that this game may ruin WoW for me, I have never been interested in any other mmo such as Aion or Rift or even TOR...but this game is in my mind innovation that is thought out very well. Can't wait to find out about the last classes to be shown and I wish I knew more about character customization beyond physical stuff such if as armor styling , dyes and etc or style locking or anything of that nature will be in the game. Also...the music is amazing, very epic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Needs more races! Human and Norn seem so similar, more diversity please! Though I like how gear is cosmetic so buying shit at the store doesn't give you an edge in-game which was something I was worried about.

I really hope they don't scam and just do a 1 big effort to make the game awesome and get people to buy GW:2 then shut the shit down because of the long-term costs to keep shit running. Idk I'm a skeptic when it comes to these things that seem to good to be true.
    You better herp yourself before you derp yourself.

I believe I know what 'persistent world' means, but I just want to get this cleared up:
    Lets say I'm in the world running around, can I see other people in same world? Or would that require us to somehow be the group which left the city into the world at the same time?
    In original Guild Wars, you can only be with people you left the city with. In WoW you meet random people in the world. Which one is it in GW2?

Quote Originally Posted by Spondoo View Post
    Needs more races! Human and Norn seem so similar, more diversity please! Though I like how gear is cosmetic so buying shit at the store doesn't give you an edge in-game which was something I was worried about.

I really hope they don't scam and just do a 1 big effort to make the game awesome and get people to buy GW:2 then shut the shit down because of the long-term costs to keep shit running. Idk I'm a skeptic when it comes to these things that seem to good to be true.
    They release a new expansion from what I think I saw, every year at least, so they can keep in the income at a steady rate.

With the amount of content they release to that aint a bad idea, considering we fork over 15 bucks a month for WoW and new content aint released till every 6 months. and that in cata it is rehashed in a few areas.

you will see other people around..don't need group or anything

Quote Originally Posted by anywherenotes View Post
    I believe I know what 'persistent world' means, but I just want to get this cleared up:
    Lets say I'm in the world running around, can I see other people in same world? Or would that require us to somehow be the group which left the city into the world at the same time?
    In original Guild Wars, you can only be with people you left the city with. In WoW you meet random people in the world. Which one is it in GW2?
    It means you can play with the people you want, when you want, wherever you want. You'll also get to meet new people [while traversing Tyria].

For example, let's say you're roaming around the world and some jackass is griefing you, or giving you problems, or he even ninja'd your ore node. You can put him on your ignore, but wait! There's more! Not only will he be ignored, but you will never see him again and he will never see you. This will clear up a lot of issues for, let's say, RP servers and PvP servers. At least I think that's how it works. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Q: But what if someone accidentally ignores me, or ignores me for no reason?
    A: They can always take you off ignore, and as for the other guy, well...f*** him.

That's how that works, but to sum it up; yup, you'll be able to leave town and play with everyone.
    “Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.”

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    There is no griefing or node stealing in GW2. Everyone gets their own nodes for crafting and if you help a player kill a monster, you both get rewarded. ArenaNet also said that their events won't be able to be griefed. Also, I haven't heard anything about the ignore thing, ArenaNet hasn't released anything about Friends List yet.

GW2 is just like WoW in sense of being persistent. The only difference is that there are portals between maps. Like how there is a portal from Blasted Lands to Outlands. You don't have to be in groups to see other people, only if you are doing dungeons or a personal story. The rest of the world is open to everyone and you will be able to see everyone else. The dynamic events work great too, because you can just jump into an event without grouping with anyone and anyone who helps out gets rewarded. If you keep seeing the same players in the events, you can group up with them to chat, but you don't need to group with anyone.

Quick Read:
    Zones or Maps = open world, you can see everyone and don't need to be grouped
    Cities = open world, you can see everyone
    Personal Story = Instanced, only players in your group can enter
    Dungeons = Instanced, only players in your group will be seen
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-25 at 10:02 PM.

So is there anyone alpha testing? I am seeing a lot of YouTube videos that have pretty dull low level game-play in them. I was wondering if anyone here is in the process of making a high level, action packed video. If it's not possible then this might suggest there is a lot to do from level 1 to max level. If that's so, then hell yeah!
    “Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.”

Quote Originally Posted by LeBoucher View Post
    So is there anyone alpha testing? I am seeing a lot of YouTube videos that have pretty dull low level game-play in them. I was wondering if anyone here is in the process of making a high level, action packed video. If it's not possible then this might suggest there is a lot to do from level 1 to max level. If that's so, then hell yeah!
    I thought everyone had seen this, but maybe it's worth adding it to the front page:

The character being played is a female Charr. Not sure what the class is, probably an Elementalist.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alpha testers are usually for friends and family of company members, and even if they aren't just that they are probably under a contract not to release any information. ArenaNet is going to be attending a gaming convention in July and two in August, so we should see a lot more gameplay videos come out then. Hopefully we will see another profession reveal and maybe the Asura or Sylvari before then.

Quote Originally Posted by 7seti View Post
    The character being played is a female Charr. Not sure what the class is, probably an Elementalist.
    That is indeed an Elementalist
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-26 at 03:04 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Did I just miss it or does the first post lack an important piece of info:
    - there's no autoattacking, although one skill can be set to auto-cast as a spammable attack (correct me if I'm wrong regarding the auto-cast fucntion)
    - you have only ten skill slots, 1-5 are your weapon skills, 6 is your healing skill, 7-9 are your utility skills and 0 is your elite skill
    - AFAIK, targeting is unlike WoW, i.e. crosshair-type targeting instead of selecting a target

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    The first two points are in the original post, but the 3rd point is incorrect. The targeting system for enemies is the same as WoW, but there is no ally targeting. If you need to revive an ally you need to run up by them to do it, and if you want to heal them, you place down ground effect heals, or aoe heals. There is no cross hair either, you may be thinking of Tera Online.

You still need to be facing the right direction when casting spells though. All skills are usable even without a target selected, but enemies can out range and dodge by rolling out of the way of your skills.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-26 at 03:33 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, depending on what you choose for your personal story, you could have a much different home instance from another person. There are a series of questions that effect your personal story when you create your character. That video is a year old though, so a lot of the questions could have changed or more could've been added, but it is a great reference to see what the general aspect is going to be like.

I haven't watched some of these vids in a while, so I am probably going to watch a them all again. I like how well done the in game voice is and the cinematics are pretty good as well.
    Last edited by Relente; 2011-04-26 at 03:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, I had some free time where I got to devote to watching things on this game tonight. I spent about 3 hours watching video on it. I've wanted to play this game since I first heard Arenanet's bold manifesto. This post will come across as bashing. I honestly don't mean it that way, but am just unimpressed with certain things. My hope is that the GW2 fans can let me know things I may not be seeing correctly, or perhaps wrongly accusing. With that, don't flame me for telling you what I see or how I feel. These are my opinons, and you don't have to agree. I am not romanticizing this game due to the hypnotist ways the devs seem to have. My eyes are open.

My hope is that you will read the entire long post, and tell me where I might be misinformed, but still be openminded enough to see some of these things I am seeing. I'm not an idiot. I see some of these things clear as day, and I think you may too. And they worry me.

*This is not a TOR vs GW post. I am not trying to change your mind, or advocate for TOR in anyway. TOR is just a good reference for me.*

-The world looks amazing. It ranks right up there with Rift, Tera, and TOR. (Btw, most of this will come with these games (TOR in particualr) as a reference point. I played a fair amount of Rift in the Beta, and am closely following TOR obviously. I need a counterweight for my thoughts, and those will be it) The buildings, lanscape, etc are very nice to look upon.

-The music is great. With the exception of TOR, I think this is an area that MMOs have failed to capitalize on. I hope GW has the high level soundtrack throughout the entire game.

-Character models brings me to my first negative thought. They are not at the level of Rift or TOR. They look very much like Tera. They look like they should belong in some console fighting game. I don't know how to explain it precisely, but they sort of have a haze about them. I'm not talking about the youtube look, but in more of a metaphor sense. The crispness is not there. Perhaps it is the paintover feel artstyle? I don't know. The bodys are not bad. But the faces are horrible. Perhaps I'm spoiled on TOR, which is going into great detail to animate and make faces crisp. These faces are like a blank stare the entire time. It's not visually appealing to me. Hopefully it's just because it's early footage.

-Going from the character graphics, the next step is the animations. Origionally, I had thought they were alright. But upon my marathon of paying close attention to them, I'm less than optimistic. Watching the human (or Norn perhaps?) red headed girl attack with her mace, I saw one horrible animation repeated over and over again. I thought, well, maybe she has no energy to use a skill. Then this same character moved on to new mobs. And... Same thing again. I'm watching as archers use the same generic animation over and over again. (Kudos there btw, the fingers recoil a bit after she looses the arrow. I'm a huge fan of subtle things like wrist movement in TOR) Same thing with the Charr. Same animation throughout.
    More or less, the animations seemed stale and overdone. Movement was anything but fluid.
    Now, coming from me, a person very excited about TOR, and animations being one of my favorite parts from that game, this is disturbing. MANY GW2 fans have come to the TOR boards and told us how shitty the animations look for TOR and how much GW was better. I gotta say, you are off your rockers. lol Overall, I'm highly depressed with character visuals and animations.

-Another thing that comes up often with TOR, is the voice overs (and I will lump "quests" here as well). We've heard many people say, well yeah, but GW2 has over 60 full length films worth of voice overs. (This will come off as mean, I'm sorry) I can definatley see why there is no subscription fee for this game. Those voiceovers were horrible. Absolutely horrible. But let's face it. Every other game is compared to TOR. The voices reminded me of the other MMOs that half assed the voices of NPCs just to do so. And that's what I hear here. The voices were added solely because they don't want people needing to talk to quest givers. So the NPCs needed to talk about the happenings so the player understood. So, while there were no "quests", that's almost not true. You just don't have to interact with the quest giver to receive a quest. Calling it a Dynamic event does not change the fact that it IS a quest. You run into this scripted event, and you partake to recieve reward. If you succeed or fail, you get a follow up quest. The only real difference is that the NPCs are yelling the quest text out, and you don't need to click accept.
    The story mode "cutscenes" really need some work. They look horrible. One person talks, and the text comes over. Then they disapear and it repeats with the next person. There is no emotion. This is a feature that was in older single player games, and the looks haven't improved in this game. The example after the human female starting area shows exactly what I am saying. It was truly bad.

-Combat was strange. There are cool concepts going on here, much like Tera, but they seem forced. Actually, it really reminded me of Tera, but Tera looked better, even with their strange over the top boob shaking hip wiggling. Everything happens SO slowly. There is more than enough time to use the new dodge feature. It looked boring. Perhaps it was players who didn't know what they were doing. I know that is the case with almost every TOR video. But there was so much strange positioning movement that it caught my eye. The animations made it look stale. I hope that things will improve in this department, cause that's kinda all you do in the game is fight. We'll see.

-No trinity system, or a veil over the eyes. Hmm.. I don't know about this one tbh. They say they don't want you to "play a healer" cause you need to. Yet, they talk about people switching between aspects to use abilities that heal those around you. Now, obviously healing IS needed. People do get hit, and they do go to a fallen state, and then slip into unconciousness. Am I seeing offensive spells that have a secondary ability to heal those around you? Are you sure this is the way to take the game? Are you sure that's better than a trinity system? It makes the need for healing turn into an automatic thing. Like, you just play your dps game until you want to heal yourslef, and repeat times infinity. Without the need of a healer, the game surely will not make it overly hard to stay alive. Bosses don't focus on one target, but instead use aoe abilities. Everyone around takes damage. But, everyone can heal, and it looked that it was sometimes tied into their offensive skills, or it was simply, place your totem here. You don't heal your tank, you just heal all around you. That does NOT sound interesting, I'm sorry. It negates the need for the mechanic, which some of you see as a good thing. I feel it trivializes the whole combat system.

-Single player, or MMO... Are you sure about that? "GW is a persistant world that defines what an MMO is all about" "I'm not saying this is the best way, but I think other developers should take note on what it really means to make a massive multiplayer experience" (those are parphrased from memory, and are not word for word quotes) Initially, I was captivated by the concept of players joing events and working together to get shit done. When I looked deeper into it, I saw many contradictions to this. They said, "We don't want you to feel like you have to talk to any other players" "We don't want a player to need to group with other players to play the game" What does this mean? Well, from what I can tell, it is exclusively a single player game through and through. "But Trolls, wtf are you talking about? There were 50 other people there fighting the same dude!?!" In the events and in the developers talking about them, the same thing kept coming up. No interaction at all with other players. There was no need to because you just hop in, it scales a bit, and you leave. (Much like rifts in Rift. You simply go there, join public group, kill bad guys, get loot. Go seperate ways. No talk.) There was no need because we don't feel like we should ever make you have to talk to the other players. I can fight these ogres by myself and still move on. Or, a player can come in, and we can both kill them and move on. Or, 50 players may come and we kill them, and move on. There is no difference at all, and you never once need to care AT ALL what the other players are doing. You simply do your thing, then move on.
    The difference between this and other MMos is that this acts as your leveling system AND your endgame. You roam the world in search of dynamic scripted events that are taking place, you help the little NPC, and get your rewards, and move on. In other MMOS, you do your quests, and move on. You ultimately get to max level and get to play the end game. What is going to keep me playing GW2? More "leveling" events? More time not caring about what ANYONE else is doing? This just doesn't click with me. It doesn't seem to encourage working together at all. You have no need to whatsoever. Do it alone, or do it with 50. It's the same. Do it and move on. Am I really off the mark here?

I was always skeptical after the manifesto. It seemed like it just wouldn't work, but I hoped that wasn't the case, cause they have some GREAT ideas and passion to go along with it.
    So GW2 fans, change my mind. Or don't. Call me a TOR fanboy and tell me I suck. W/e.
    I was really onboard with GW2 until I spent time delving deeper into it. Now, I'm not even sure if I want to play it unless they change things a LOT from this alpha build to the final product.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-04-26 at 06:00 AM.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Quote Originally Posted by Spondoo View Post
    Needs more races! Human and Norn seem so similar, more diversity please!
    There are five races: Norn, Human, Charr, Sylvari and Asura.
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/races/

Sylvari is currently undergoing a massive redesign, but any info on the other 4 is pretty much finalised I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDragon
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

Eek Trollsbane that's a long post. I'll try and briefly respond to a few of the points (please don't take my post as hostile, I'm genuinely just voicing my opinion):

Animations: I have to admit I have the same worries here, hoping this is due to bad demo videos or something.

No trinity system: yes, everyone takes damage, but that doesn't mean one person stands back and heals everyone. Instead, everyone is responsible for their own healing, and for healing other people when they can. Similarly, while there are no tanks, it is possible to physically put yourself between an attacker and a weakened ally to protect them. I think whether you like this or not may come down to personal taste. I am looking forward to a more flexible grouping system, and to everyone having to take responsibility for their own survival. If done right, you shouldn't end up with people being able to get away with no CC/standing in the fire then qq'ing at the healer.

The single player aspect: you're right that there is a lot of options to play single player. As well as being able to do a lot alone in the world, there is your personal story. But there is also the flip side of that, which is that you don't lose out if you're fighting something, other people turn up and help. There can be no kill-stealing. So spontaneous cooperation should be a LOT easier in GW2 than in wow. I think the idea is to give people the choice, rather than penalise someone for their preferred play style.

No endgame: developers have said the whole game is endgame. There is no need to rush to the level cap (though you can if you want). There are 5mans, pvp, dynamic events, personal story, and a whole world to explore. Gear plateaus so there is no pressure to be constantly upgrading. Personally, I am really looking forward to this approach: a focus on enjoying the world and the journey, rather than racing through it to then grind gear and finally raid and/or pvp. I do think it will take some effort to get used to the new mindset of GW2, but I think it could make for a more enjoyable game than wow (levelling alts at least would be a lot less boring!). At any rate, it seems worth giving it a try.

For me, the key thing is it's B2P. Meaning if the animations do disappoint and the world isn't as interesting as I hope, I haven't lost a lot. I really would encourage you to give it a try when it comes out - or at least give it a try if a free trial becomes available :-)
    I love these changes. Maybe it's because I've always valued utility and teamwork over my personal meter whoring, but the ability to pop Heart and step in for a dead healer/tank for 45s to save the day is Druidism at its finest IMO.
    Technically dragon eating human is not cannibalism. It is misfortunate inconvinience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sapho View Post
    Eek Trollsbane that's a long post. I'll try and briefly respond to a few of the points (please don't take my post as hostile, I'm genuinely just voicing my opinion):
    I won't take any replies as hostile. I came on to the GW2 thread and didn't have the best things to say. I deserve to be told if I am dead wrong. I just see worrisome things that I want addressed by others more knowledgable than myself. =)

---------- Post added 2011-04-25 at 10:57 PM ----------

I agree with you on not rushing through. The story aspect of TOR will make me a happy camper not interested in leveling up as fast as I can. But part of it does come down to, there is more than just leveling. Whereas in GW, there isn't. But yeah, could be personal tastes.

For the single player thing, it's not just that there are a lot of options to play single player, it's more that there are not many options or rather, reasons to not play single player. It's not needed in the least bit.

For the healing, I understand that one person won't be standing back healing (unless they want to) but with everyone being in charge of healing themselves, doesn't that completely kill the risk factor of a fight? It's just dps X 20, heal X 3, repeat until boss special, heal X 3, dps X 20 sort of thing. I don't know. We'll see.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-04-26 at 06:04 AM.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

I am hopping that since this is all alpha there will be more attack animations later down the road when they put out new previews. The game looks solid so far in terms of spells and music, and the looks. and the structure of things. Maybe what it might even come down to is they will hopefully polish missing pieces and bad animations. I think it is still possible for this to happen. here is to hopping, I know this can be a very good game!

Re: The Shatterer
    I watched the 5 minute Shatterer battle and I'm very impressed. I saw the video laying around the forums many times, but I never bothered to watch it. I just kinda thought, "Meh, it's just a boss battle", boy was I wrong. The sheer size of The Shatterer puts every boss in every other MMO ever created to absolute shame. The one thing that bothered me in the beginning of the video was how stationary The Shatterer was, but near the end when he flew away in aggravation is when I realized that he did not have to move. Everyone attacking him were more like wasps than an actual threat. Battles like that can really make a player feel small. It's like, you're battling for you life while this giant dragon is barely making an effort to defend itself.

A Few Questions
    -Do you have to have a pet as a hunter, er, I mean Ranger? (c wut i did thar?)
    -I'm really big into Role Playing, how will Personal Stories effect the RP aspect of the game? It would be a damn shame for people to just use their Personal Story as a basis for their character biographies rather than make a biography of their own. Let's be real, Personal Stories can't differ too much between characters, right? I'm also pretty sure the class you choose will have very little impact on Personal Story. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    -Wait, the Charr were never a playable race in the first game, right? Never mind, I just had a derp moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    For the healing, I understand that one person won't be standing back healing (unless they want to) but with everyone being in charge of healing themselves, doesn't that completely kill the risk factor of a fight? It's just dps X 20, heal X 3, repeat until boss special, heal X 3, dps X 20 sort of thing. I don't know. We'll see.
    As I understand it, events will be more fluid than that - more need to move, to support other players, and so forth. Admittedly I could be wrong on this though. But if done right, there should be much less by way of rotations than there is in wow (where it's largely dpsx10 repeat )

As for incentives for working together out in the world . . . no there aren't really any that I can see. For me, this is a good thing - you work with people when it's fun, you don't when it isn't. Admittedly this will get frustrating for you if you want to cooperate and no-one else does, but there are still guilds and 5mans and pvp, all of which do require communication and cooperation, so the world is not completely void of socialisation. And in theory, dynamic events should mean more interaction than you generally get while questing in wow. I mean, until you hit the level cap in wow, you can quite easily play entirely solo. I'm always wary of loading too many incentives on to a particular play style, as you risk making it feel compulsory. As I see it, GW2 tries to remove the penalties of either solo or group play, without pushing anyone too hard towards either.