Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    I know I know it has been linked at least 3 or 4 times in this thread.
    And yet it does not seem to lose its awesomeness.

Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    Clearly warriors are the most superior to any other profession.

I know I know it has been linked at least 3 or 4 times in this thread.
    I'm still amazed to this day at how the demo from 2010, which was back in pre-alpha, was so polished.
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Also, I can almost guarantee that their will be some sort of a limit on the number of minions necros can summon.
    I remember some video where a necromancer summoned a bunch of pets (way more than 10). Doubt there will be any limit, its their play style (even healing skill can be a pet).

That said... i hope necromancers/rangers/whatever aren't any stronger than anyone else. Balance makes a game more fun and its rather pathetic for us to spend any time here, debating "my pet class is bigger than your pet class".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbabo View Post
    I remember some video where a necromancer summoned a bunch of pets (way more than 10). Doubt there will be any limit, its their play style (even healing skill can be a pet).
    Necro's in GW1 used to be able to have more than 10 minions, then they nerfed it to hell...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

I think I had 21 with Death Magic capped. That was fun.

Deleted
    Necro's in GW1 used to be able to have more than 10 minions, then they nerfed it to hell...
    Not the same game

I remember being a MM back when Sorrow's Furnace was first released. All those minions were so much fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshun View Post
    I think I had 21 with Death Magic capped. That was fun.
    I remember necro's doing that in GW1 and it was crazy as fucking hell and there wasn't much a non-smite character could to do stop it.

Unless they're really weak, then I foresee this getting nerfed to the grave, and back.

I remember necro's doing that in GW1 and it was crazy as fucking hell and there wasn't much a non-smite character could to do stop it.

Unless they're really weak, then I foresee this getting nerfed to the grave, and back.
    I think I could live with weak, Zergling-style minions. It seems like they would still be useful enough for dealing damage and absorbing damage for me in PvP. AoE could be a problem, but that's balance I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm curious how long it'd take to summon all the minions for a Necro, because while he's busy setting himself up a small army, an engie could be laying down mines or bombs or a ranger could be taking the time to position themselves at a further range.
    Also, correct me If I'm wrong, but those Jagged horrors can only be summoned in Lich Form?
    Nextly, how vulnerable would a necro then be if an engie were to say frost bomb the minion zerg, rocket jump onto the necro, point blank blunderbuss to put more distance between him and his minions, and then a backwards oil slick/rocket boots by the engie, slowing the minions once more and closing the gap between he and the necro. Net launch for more cc, and Elixer X if he pops Lich/Is already in lich.
    I know no one can actually answer this with even the remotest amount of certainty, but you think that degree of CC would be effective just to get the him on relative 1v1 or would you then just be putting yourself between a rock and a hard place because you wouldn't be able to burn the Necro fast enough or would you be able to kite the minions to such a degree you can win? Or will the necro just be all "Lol, don't need those guys anyway" and face melt said attacker.

All hypothetical, of course. I don't expect answers none of us here have but wouldn't mind other peoples input since if the necro can then proceed to smoosh an attacker regardless of the minion wall, then that seems like a bit of a balance problem.
    If fighting is sure to result in victory, then you must fight!
    Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little more about fighting then you do, pal! Because he invented it, and perfected it so no living man could best him in the ring of honor.

-The Soldier

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Tooth View Post
    I'm curious how long it'd take to summon all the minions for a Necro, because while he's busy setting himself up a small army, an engie could be laying down mines or bombs or a ranger could be taking the time to position themselves at a further range.
    Also, correct me If I'm wrong, but those Jagged horrors can only be summoned in Lich Form?
    Nextly, how vulnerable would a necro then be if an engie were to say frost bomb the minion zerg, rocket jump onto the necro, point blank blunderbuss to put more distance between him and his minions, and then a backwards oil slick/rocket boots by the engie, slowing the minions once more and closing the gap between he and the necro. Net launch for more cc, and Elixer X if he pops Lich/Is already in lich.
    I know no one can actually answer this with even the remotest amount of certainty, but you think that degree of CC would be effective just to get the him on relative 1v1 or would you then just be putting yourself between a rock and a hard place because you wouldn't be able to burn the Necro fast enough or would you be able to kite the minions to such a degree you can win? Or will the necro just be all "Lol, don't need those guys anyway" and face melt said attacker.

All hypothetical, of course. I don't expect answers none of us here have but wouldn't mind other peoples input since if the necro can then proceed to smoosh an attacker regardless of the minion wall, then that seems like a bit of a balance problem.
    Well you sure threw a lot of abilities in there, which was pointless for many reasons.

One of the necromancers pet attack from range, the other one(that are actually 2 or 3) suicide themselves in a explosion, so getting close will just make it easier for them. The other one is immobile anyway I believe(and I'm not going to look for names right now) and there is a single one that you really should kite... and he probably is not much of a threat.

Also, its not like your CCs last forever anyway.

Deleted
    Even though I will be rolling a necromancer I atleast hope necromancers will be properly balanced with the other professions. There is simply nothing fun about being totally overpowered due to imbalance, it's much more fun to be near unkillable due to actual playing skills. (Not that I have such skills. Whenever I go PvP I look like I'm straight out of My Little Pony Online.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakez View Post
    Well you sure threw a lot of abilities in there, which was pointless for many reasons.

One of the necromancers pet attack from range, the other one(that are actually 2 or 3) suicide themselves in a explosion, so getting close will just make it easier for them. The other one is immobile anyway I believe(and I'm not going to look for names right now) and there is a single one that you really should kite... and he probably is not much of a threat.

Also, its not like your CCs last forever anyway.
    I was under the impression the explodey buggers, scorpion one, teleporting one (dunno why you'd need a teleport TO an enemy if you were ranged), and jagged horrors were all melee. The worm and healing minion being ranged.

And of course the CCs don't last for ever. Thus why all moves would be chained after one another almost immediately. Maximizing slow time on minions (the ones I'm assuming are melee anyway) and getting as much time with the necro in a 1v1 sorta situation.
    Otherwise, balls to the complicated and violent separation of minions and necro if they're ranged- GRENADES FOR ALL!

Edit:
    And if having a plan to counter a classes specific strength by using your skills effectively to control the battle as best as possible is "pointless", then what would you suggest as a battle plan in such a situation?
    Last edited by Bullet Tooth; 2011-09-15 at 05:34 AM.
    Sun Tzu said that, and I'd say he knows a little more about fighting then you do, pal! Because he invented it, and perfected it so no living man could best him in the ring of honor.

-The Soldier

Indeed, the minions do take a little while to summon and if the necro wants to summon an army (i.e. every minion avilable to them, including lich form) then chances are he'll get struck down in the process.

Correct, they can only be summoned in Lich Form but continue to be in your control after you've left that form.

Well it sounds like the necro would certainly have a tough time especially if it was executed as well as described. The minions do provide a certain amount of damage but to my understanding their main usefulness doesn't come from their damage but their secondary abilities.

Some are more advantageous in certain situations than others and from the situation you've described, if you've created a lot of distance between the necro and their flesh wurm they can simply destroy their minion and teleport to it's location thus losing your distance advantage (even though necro's don't have a massive disadvantage per-say at close range).

With that said you shouldn't be able to escape a necro's shadow fiend, as it's secondary ability is to teleport to you and a good necro should be doing this (at least in my opinion ).

Necro's have a lot of utility available to them and they should be very competitive but they're certainly not invincible, from what I've seen I think GW2 does a really food job of balancing the classes so no one class should outweigh another instead it all comes down to the players.

For a necro minions are certainly important but mainly due to their secondary ability, at least in my opinion. From what I've seen from demo's they're not that strong but extremely useful, so I think it would certainly be a good idea to destroy an opponents minion as you'll be taking away from of their utility which has the potential to save their ass when in trouble.

As much as I love necro's they aren't gods, you'll be able to take them down as you would any other class as long as you're good with the class you're playing.

I'm hoping that all these minions don't generate a balancing issue as the concept of having a lot of minions is really fun for me at least, from what we've seen from demos it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue.
    Last edited by nixcookies; 2011-09-15 at 05:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    -SNIP-
    You're asking a whole lot of questions that can't really be answered until more people actually play the game...

10+ Year Old Account
    I was under the impression the explodey buggers, scorpion one, teleporting one (dunno why you'd need a teleport TO an enemy if you were ranged), and jagged horrors were all melee. The worm and healing minion being ranged.

And of course the CCs don't last for ever. Thus why all moves would be chained after one another almost immediately. Maximizing slow time on minions (the ones I'm assuming are melee anyway) and getting as much time with the necro in a 1v1 sorta situation.
    Otherwise, balls to the complicated and violent separation of minions and necro if they're ranged- GRENADES FOR ALL!
    Depending on the health of the pets its probably not worth wasting time attacking them. Just kite the ones that come close.

Edit:
    And if having a plan to counter a classes specific strength by using your skills effectively to control the battle as best as possible is "pointless", then what would you suggest as a battle plan in such a situation?
    What I mean is that the necromancer can dodge your attacks too while raping you. So you will just do a lot of stunts for nothing. And if you get close the minions will probably explode on you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snakez View Post
    Depending on the health of the pets its probably not worth wasting time attacking them. Just kite the ones that come close.

What I mean is that the necromancer can dodge your attacks too while raping you. So you will just do a lot of stunts for nothing. And if you get close the minions will probably explode on you.
    Still no opinion on how best to handle the situation. Honestly, all I'm getting from what you're saying is "Nope, all you should do is not bother and die, because nothing you do (ie: focus necro, kite pets, aoe burn, CC) will work."

-The Soldier

Deleted
    Still no opinion on how best to handle the situation. Honestly, all I'm getting from what you're saying is "Nope, all you should do is not bother and die, because nothing you do (ie: focus necro, kite pets, aoe burn, CC) will work."
    I don't know much about the professions as I have never played GW1 and I have nothing to "build upon", but it seems a turret + a few slow grenades should work wonders on the melee minions; you'd get to focus on the necro while the turret takes the minions out. If you got a pet of your own you can sic that on the ranged minions, too, so that should draw their fire away from you.

EDIT: Nvm, I got my professions mixed up Still, the basics should work: sic the pet on ranged, place a trap on the ground for the melee minions, and when they've almost reached you you jump out and pop a new trap.
    Last edited by mmoc3b091e0ba3; 2011-09-15 at 05:58 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not much in to engineer so I can't say much about the strategy, probably what GayGirlie said with turrets/grenades and glue shot and wtv you have to kite them.
    I was just saying that your chain of skills would only work properly if the necromancer was immobile, which he isn't, so you will just waste time while taking tons of damage.

but this discussion would need to go much deeper than this because we don't have the game yet...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    I don't know much about the professions as I have never played GW1 and I have nothing to "build upon", but it seems a turret + a few slow grenades should work wonders on the melee minions; you'd get to focus on the necro while the turret takes the minions out. If you got a pet of your own you can sic that on the ranged minions, too, so that should draw their fire away from you.

EDIT: Nvm, I got my professions mixed up
    True, I didn't even think about turrets or pets to counter. And, Oh dear god, imagine two necros with the same sort of "army" build going at it.
    Anyway, I think the best approach to this situation is to stop thinking about it and go to bed since without things like health amounts, damage output and other things we can only get from playing the game we wont know what's smart or stupid and I'm probably going to be running stupid "DEADLIEST WARRIOR" sort of situations in my head all night.

-The Soldier