15+ Year Old Account
    So while I understand that Blizzard's new stuff for MoP is obviously coming from ToR and GW2 can we please stop with this already? You're all making to out to be like it isn't unusual for other game developers to take what a new/upcoming game has and put it in their game. We don't know how exactly Blizz is going to incorporate/twist it to fit WoW. You guys are starting to seriously look like any other rabid fanboy out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    You guys are starting to seriously look like any other rabid fanboy out there.
    Never claimed I wasn't

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    this new expansion bringing pandas and pokemon to it gonna attract wayy too many kids.. moreso than blood elves and worgen did.

thank god im done with that game
    If I have to be honest you're the one who sounds like a kid here. Not those who think the new changes look good.

People are going to hate me for this, but I think it looks pretty sweet, much better than Cataclysm. For me though, it's too little, too late. I'm looking at the future (GW2 and ToR).
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alatian View Post
    People are going to hate me for this, but I think it looks pretty sweet, much better than Cataclysm. For me though, it's too little, too late. I'm looking at the future (GW2 and ToR).
    I can agree. I think it's pretty, I like the talent changes, but they seem to be pushing this out as desperation. If I hadn't quit last year I'd probably play it though

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree except that I might come back especially since GW2 is my only other MMO interest so toggling WoW and GW2 doesn't seem like a bad idea. However, if I play GW2 more than I play wow obviously I will be putting down wow. If I pick it back up ofc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed. Looks better than both WotlK and Cata. But since GW2 will most likely be out first I won't be playing it. But if GW2 gets a huge delay I might try the expansion a bit.

Deleted
    Now that we've been discussing what wow took from GW, lets turn the table and ask ourselves:
    "Is there anything GW could take from WoW?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dewote View Post
    Now that we've been discussing what wow took from GW, lets turn the table and ask ourselves:
    Most of the playerbase

nothing worth taking really. except what Mif said :P

Marketing.

Blizzard for a while were the kings of marketing when it came to the PC industry. Even none gamers knew of World of PokeCraft. The biggest drawback about Guild Wars 2 is not a lot of people have heard about it. It is growing but it doesn't have the luxury that TOR has of having a giant name like Star Wars attatched to it.
    Last edited by whill4; 2011-10-22 at 01:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Most of the playerbase
    Ahahaha, you just made my day. Good call sir, good call indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by whill4 View Post
    Marketing.

Blizzard for a while were the kings of marketing when it came to the PC industry. Even none gamers knew of World of PokeCraft. The biggest drawback about Guild Wars 2 is not a lot of people have heard about it. It is growing but it doesn't have the luxury that TOR has of having a giant name like Star Wars attatched to it.
    This, one hundred percent agreed. The Blizzard branding is a huge success withing the gaming industry, to the point where, I believe, they are the only gaming company that has its own convention; only other brand with that kind of clout, in my opinion, is BioWare. I used to love the WoW commercials - specifically, the "What's Your Game?" celebrity spots. I think that I vaguely recall seeing Guild Wars commercials once or twice, back in the day, but pretty much all of my initial interest in the game came from friends. Word-of-mouth advertising is all well and good, especially considering the quality of the product, but I do feel that ArenaNet needs to push themselves a bit more publicly than simply attending every major electronic gaming show.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelwryn View Post
    So while I understand that Blizzard's new stuff for MoP is obviously coming from ToR and GW2 can we please stop with this already? You're all making to out to be like it isn't unusual for other game developers to take what a new/upcoming game has and put it in their game. We don't know how exactly Blizz is going to incorporate/twist it to fit WoW. You guys are starting to seriously look like any other rabid fanboy out there.
    You're absolutely right about features being used across games, and you're also right that it matters how it's implemented. WoW succeeded because it was "like Everquest but better." Various WoW clones have failed because they were "like WoW but worse."

We don't know exactly how the new features will play out in WoW, but in some cases we know enough. For example, we know that a dungeon's "challenge mode" is simply a speed run. We know that "PvE scenarios" are instanced. There's no way these features will compare to GW2's dynamic events and explorable-mode dungeons (or SW:TOR's story-driven dungeons for that matter).

It's not just that they've borrowed some features that players like from other games... it's that they seem to be doing a half-assed job of it, just so they can say "we have that too!"

Deleted
    Oh.. I though I'll be first that state MoP-GW2 comparision xD
    Scenarios... dungeon challenges ... "pokemon" (gw1-polymock , gw2 - mini games)... holy trinity remove in one aspect of the game. I can see server vs server vs server in 5.3 xDDD Oh.. I'm not sure but there are possibilities that monk will be as guardian from gw2 (or gw1 monk)

Deleted
    Dno if it has been said.. and obviously everyone seems to get the point about WoW being "inspired" by GW2 but still:

One of the monks sample abilities is "Roll: Roll a short distance". Makes me laugh and cry..

The only thing I was hoping for was more attention to PvP.
    Hell, only a revamp of PvP would have made WoW better for me. But clearly Blizzard still doesn't care.
    The new expansion doesn't look awful to me, but why would I play a game wich I've seen 90% of when I can play in an entire new world with lots of innovations?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gabbsson View Post
    One of the monks sample abilities is "Roll: Roll a short distance". Makes me laugh and cry..
    Isn't it gw2 dodge button ? xD

It is.. The new Monk class takes the combat that is available for all classes in Gw2.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Most of the playerbase
    This made me lol.

When I read the Monk was not going to have the ability to autoattack I just shook my head and got more excited for GW2. This is the type of class I've wanted in WoW for a really long time, especially for healing. After playing the melee/heal Disciple in Vanguard, I've always wished Blizz would take that model. However, as others have already said, this is too little too late. Sure, they're updating the textures for the world, but the dated character models that fill out the area will distract from that, imo. Pokemon in a game.... another thing I've wanted for a while, but still not enough to draw me back. Their 'dynamic event' doesn't feel very dynamic when there is only one goal at a time, and only one way to accomplish that goal. So it's dynamic because they took out the step where you run back to an NPC after killing the 25 kobolds to get the next quest to save children? /faceplam