10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    An ironic statement considering how they focus all their attention on the pseudo-offical Guru forums and ignore other communities like this one.
    dude this is a sub-forum on a dedicated WoW fansite, i do not think that this is what they had in mind otherwise they should camp every other MMO game's off-topic forums then.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    dude this is a sub-forum on a dedicated WoW fansite, i do not think that this is what they had in mind otherwise they should camp every other MMO game's off-topic forums then.
    There are plenty of other GW2 forums that have nothing to do with Wow that are also left out in the cold.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are plenty of other GW2 forums that have nothing to do with Wow that are also left out in the cold.
    That's a good point, but the dinosaurs at GW2G just have a better rep with ANet than any other site. Not to mention GW2G is the largest GW2 forum board out there right now. There's no possible way for ANet to address players on every forum board. The only thing I resent is that they address GW2G; a site that I don't enjoy posting on because discussion over there is like talking to 100 old people with Alzheimer's at a convalescence home. Every discussion over there stagnates into monotony and Australian flag shaped jello.

Deleted
    Yeh it's ironic because of what she said, but if you think... spreading out over multiple sites is a lot of work, and they are with 3(stéphane, Regina and Martin) so... I can understand why they want to focus on the big one. Though at least having a look at the ideas here wouldn't kill them I think.

Deleted
    As gamers themselves, I'd be very surprised if they didn't pop in every so often.

10+ Year Old Account
    you do realize that the interview you quoted was from someone's own blog, right? and have ANet not show a willingness to do interviews with anyone from any forum for at least this last year? you can have some obscure GW/GW2 fansite and you could coordinate an interview with them, but you feel as though since they do not actively participate on said forum that they are being dishonest? /sigh

Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    they are being dishonest? /sigh
    That's not what I said at all. To be honest, you're sounding a bit like a Guru user blowing things way out of proportion the minute someone says the slightest thing negative about ArenaNet.

I simply find it ironic that Regina said, more or less, that if they had an official forum it's important to not forget the non-official sites. Reading between the lines, to me that sounds like they are planning an official forum, and they're saying "we won't forget you Guru". Yet presently they're focusing all their attention on the psuedo-official Guru forum and ignoring other forums. Effectively, they're already doing what they said they won't do.

And yes, they did give that interview to a small fansite, but the fansite approached them (it happens initially via twitter mostly), and Regina spent 5 minutes asking questions - not really much of a commitment.

---------- Post added 2011-12-31 at 03:16 PM ----------

I'll also add, where is the biggest SWTOR community outside of the official forums? MMO-Champion.

Why? Because whether we like it or not, the majority of the MMO community is the Wow community, and the sub forums of Wow fansites are the first place they'll discover and learn about other MMOs.

I think it's foolish to not apply that same logic to GW2.

Really hope they have a an official forum for GW2 in time. Have they ever said it was out of the question?

Desperate community sites kinda didn't work well for other games. IMO, natch.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been playing tor a lot recently and I've enjoyed it quite a bit, but I've really got to say, not having quests or events that affect the world is kind of archaic... "Help! The Geonosians are attacking this settlement! Steal their bombs and sabotage their infrastructure! Bonus - Kill 20 drones, destroy 8 supply boxes, kill 6 commanders and finally kill the warlord (4 part bonus chain, which are cool, but should have been done 3 years ago)."

Do all that and guess what, nothing changes. The mobs just respawn and you never have to return there again.

Not that I'm saying TOR is bad or that it sucks or anything, I just really want GW2 to be out already...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Let's let them concentrate on polishing the game and worry about releasing an uber forum when the uber game is announced/released They're a fairly small outfit after all.
    By limiting themselves to one forum now, and the one that, seemingly, has the most leetist attitude, they can focus on the game itself while leaving that community to work themselves over.

I'm sure someone at ArenaNet reads a lot of what's being said about GW2 from various sources. We know they're avid gamers. They don't seem to ignore what the gaming community wants. I'm happy for now to give them the benefit of the doubt that they're focusing on the most important thing: the game itself.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    Let's let them concentrate on polishing the game and worry about releasing an uber forum when the uber game is announced/released They're a fairly small outfit after all.
    By limiting themselves to one forum now, and the one that, seemingly, has the most leetist attitude, they can focus on the game itself while leaving that community to work themselves over.

I'm sure someone at ArenaNet reads a lot of what's being said about GW2 from various sources. We know they're avid gamers. They don't seem to ignore what the gaming community wants. I'm happy for now to give them the benefit of the doubt that they're focusing on the most important thing: the game itself.
    Arenanet really isn't that small. They aren't a little indie company, they have at least 100 people working there. Also they have been working on this game for about 6-7 years now. It looks beautiful and all, but they have finally started closed beta, it is in the final stages of testing, no need to drag their feet. Test that shizz and get it to us.

Official forums is debatable, but trying to claim GW2Guru is their go to is just bad business. The forum mods are VERY heavy handed. I would rather they pull their support for GW2Guru if they really still don't want to do an official forum because I don't like them thinking they are ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping they'll never have "official forums" for trolls to dive into.

I even feel sorry for Blizzard and the sh*t I read on their site now, even in specific topics.

And to let every know now, I use to chug around on the forums back when everything was new, and it wasn't even remotely like it is now. Back then it was about getting the information out. If someone did "troll" or be a jerk to the newbie, everyone called him out on it. Nowadays if you call someone out for being an arse, everyone jumps on YOU. Sad, very sad.

But I do support a very nice "Help Line" or whatever for stuff like characters getting stuck, getting hacked, etc/whatever REAL problems arise.

10+ Year Old Account
    They've said more than once that they want to build community. Through WvWvW and other things in their game. An official forum with server subforums further strenghtens that aim. I think it'll happen after or just before the game is released.

Ok ok...let me rephrase. They're relatively little. Compared to the all-devouring behemoth that is Blizzard anyway, that has a very well established game(s).

My point is that the game's not even out yet. There doesn't seem much value in having an official forum that would, in all likelyhood, just be full of trolls complaining that the game's not out yet. Their official site gives us news...although in little tidbits that leave us a lil crazy.
    They're still polishing and finalizing it after all.

I have faith in Colin n Krewe that a great forum will appear...and we'll all be like...DUDES! And they'll be like...HELL YH! And then we'll all be like..../BOW.
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2011-12-31 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    I've been playing tor a lot recently and I've enjoyed it quite a bit, but I've really got to say, not having quests or events that affect the world is kind of archaic... "Help! The Geonosians are attacking this settlement! Steal their bombs and sabotage their infrastructure! Bonus - Kill 20 drones, destroy 8 supply boxes, kill 6 commanders and finally kill the warlord (4 part bonus chain, which are cool, but should have been done 3 years ago)."

Do all that and guess what, nothing changes. The mobs just respawn and you never have to return there again.

Not that I'm saying TOR is bad or that it sucks or anything, I just really want GW2 to be out already...
    "You swung a lightsaber. You swung a lightsaber again. Hey! You swung it again! That's great!"

XD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    "You swung a lightsaber. You swung a lightsaber again. Hey! You swung it again! That's great!"

XD
    Actually, I was throwing pebbles.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Actually, I was throwing pebbles.
    Republic scum!

On the topic of official forums (and I hate that I'm about to compare GW2 to FFXI again, it seems to happen a lot lately), XI had no official forums either and it kind of sucked, but XI never really had its devs post on the community forums very much either iirc. On the BG and KI forums, a lot of misinformation, stupid taboos and generalizations about gameplay could spread like wildfire until they became law, and without a representative of any kind from Square-Enix to respond to some of this stuff it could go on unchecked for a long time. Maybe ANet's involvement with GW2G at least will help with this. Personally, I like official forums.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not what I said at all. To be honest, you're sounding a bit like a Guru user blowing things way out of proportion the minute someone says the slightest thing negative about ArenaNet.

I simply find it ironic that Regina said, more or less, that if they had an official forum it's important to not forget the non-official sites. Reading between the lines, to me that sounds like they are planning an official forum, and they're saying "we won't forget you Guru". Yet presently they're focusing all their attention on the psuedo-official Guru forum and ignoring other forums. Effectively, they're already doing what they said they won't do.

And yes, they did give that interview to a small fansite, but the fansite approached them (it happens initially via twitter mostly), and Regina spent 5 minutes asking questions - not really much of a commitment.

---------- Post added 2011-12-31 at 03:16 PM ----------

I'll also add, where is the biggest SWTOR community outside of the official forums? MMO-Champion.

Why? Because whether we like it or not, the majority of the MMO community is the Wow community, and the sub forums of Wow fansites are the first place they'll discover and learn about other MMOs.

I think it's foolish to not apply that same logic to GW2.
    to your first point i don't even like Guru, but what i dislike the most is misinformation. your "reading between the lines" implies that they do not give a crap about fansites other than Guru which is fucking BS since you link to all those other fansites all the time of interviews ANet have done with them. to say that is normal for a game dev company is to be really silly. i would love to know of another AAA MMO that is willing to do as many interviews with <insert random fansite> as much as ANet have for GW2 fansites. and i am critical of ANet and GW2, but i don't like to base my critiques on conjecture which you just said you did with your "read between the lines" comment and even in your answer, you seem like an entitled brat to be honest, like ANet owe you something just because you frequent MMOChamp and there is a GW2 community here and that they should swing by here as well.

on your second point, i thought that Darth Hater was the biggest SWTOR community outside of the official forums? but whatever, i do not know how big the GW2 community is here, it seems rather small to be honest, and whether or not ANet will respond to questions and concerns on a fansite for another game but to me it would be rather silly and very underhanded, but they will do whatever they choose to regardless of what you or i want them to.

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    I'm hoping they'll never have "official forums" for trolls to dive into.
    Don't think this is a big deal anymore. People sorta expect there will be jerks here & there. Trolls will happen with any online medium from blog to forum.