Ok ok...let me rephrase. They're relatively little. Compared to the all-devouring behemoth that is Blizzard anyway, that has a very well established game(s).

My point is that the game's not even out yet. There doesn't seem much value in having an official forum that would, in all likelyhood, just be full of trolls complaining that the game's not out yet. Their official site gives us news...although in little tidbits that leave us a lil crazy.
    They're still polishing and finalizing it after all.

I have faith in Colin n Krewe that a great forum will appear...and we'll all be like...DUDES! And they'll be like...HELL YH! And then we'll all be like..../BOW.
    Last edited by Squirrelbanes; 2011-12-31 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    I've been playing tor a lot recently and I've enjoyed it quite a bit, but I've really got to say, not having quests or events that affect the world is kind of archaic... "Help! The Geonosians are attacking this settlement! Steal their bombs and sabotage their infrastructure! Bonus - Kill 20 drones, destroy 8 supply boxes, kill 6 commanders and finally kill the warlord (4 part bonus chain, which are cool, but should have been done 3 years ago)."

Do all that and guess what, nothing changes. The mobs just respawn and you never have to return there again.

Not that I'm saying TOR is bad or that it sucks or anything, I just really want GW2 to be out already...
    "You swung a lightsaber. You swung a lightsaber again. Hey! You swung it again! That's great!"

XD

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    "You swung a lightsaber. You swung a lightsaber again. Hey! You swung it again! That's great!"

XD
    Actually, I was throwing pebbles.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Actually, I was throwing pebbles.
    Republic scum!

On the topic of official forums (and I hate that I'm about to compare GW2 to FFXI again, it seems to happen a lot lately), XI had no official forums either and it kind of sucked, but XI never really had its devs post on the community forums very much either iirc. On the BG and KI forums, a lot of misinformation, stupid taboos and generalizations about gameplay could spread like wildfire until they became law, and without a representative of any kind from Square-Enix to respond to some of this stuff it could go on unchecked for a long time. Maybe ANet's involvement with GW2G at least will help with this. Personally, I like official forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    That's not what I said at all. To be honest, you're sounding a bit like a Guru user blowing things way out of proportion the minute someone says the slightest thing negative about ArenaNet.

I simply find it ironic that Regina said, more or less, that if they had an official forum it's important to not forget the non-official sites. Reading between the lines, to me that sounds like they are planning an official forum, and they're saying "we won't forget you Guru". Yet presently they're focusing all their attention on the psuedo-official Guru forum and ignoring other forums. Effectively, they're already doing what they said they won't do.

And yes, they did give that interview to a small fansite, but the fansite approached them (it happens initially via twitter mostly), and Regina spent 5 minutes asking questions - not really much of a commitment.

---------- Post added 2011-12-31 at 03:16 PM ----------

I'll also add, where is the biggest SWTOR community outside of the official forums? MMO-Champion.

Why? Because whether we like it or not, the majority of the MMO community is the Wow community, and the sub forums of Wow fansites are the first place they'll discover and learn about other MMOs.

I think it's foolish to not apply that same logic to GW2.
    to your first point i don't even like Guru, but what i dislike the most is misinformation. your "reading between the lines" implies that they do not give a crap about fansites other than Guru which is fucking BS since you link to all those other fansites all the time of interviews ANet have done with them. to say that is normal for a game dev company is to be really silly. i would love to know of another AAA MMO that is willing to do as many interviews with <insert random fansite> as much as ANet have for GW2 fansites. and i am critical of ANet and GW2, but i don't like to base my critiques on conjecture which you just said you did with your "read between the lines" comment and even in your answer, you seem like an entitled brat to be honest, like ANet owe you something just because you frequent MMOChamp and there is a GW2 community here and that they should swing by here as well.

on your second point, i thought that Darth Hater was the biggest SWTOR community outside of the official forums? but whatever, i do not know how big the GW2 community is here, it seems rather small to be honest, and whether or not ANet will respond to questions and concerns on a fansite for another game but to me it would be rather silly and very underhanded, but they will do whatever they choose to regardless of what you or i want them to.
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    I'm hoping they'll never have "official forums" for trolls to dive into.
    Don't think this is a big deal anymore. People sorta expect there will be jerks here & there. Trolls will happen with any online medium from blog to forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Odeezee View Post
    i do not know how big the GW2 community is here, it seems rather small to be honest
    And therein lies the problem. Do you honestly believe Guru with all the BS that goes on there thanks to management would be the number one fansite if it wasn't for ArenaNet's involvment?. ArenaNet only participating (a big difference from the occasional 5 minute interview) on Guru hurts every other fan site.

And for the record, this isn't me QQ'ing about them not posting here. In the interview they were asked about how they manage the community, and I'm questioning their answer.
    Last edited by Mif; 2012-01-01 at 02:46 AM.

And therein lies the problem. Do you honestly believe Guru with all the BS that goes on there thanks to management would be the number one fansite if it wasn't for ArenaNet's involvment?. ArenaNet only participating (a big difference from the occasional 5 minute interview) on Guru hurts every other fan site.

And for the record, this isn't me QQ'ing about them not posting here. In the interview they were asked about how they manage the community, and I'm questioning their answer.
    dude, Guru has been around for a minute and it has a very big following from it's GW1 days. who is to say what would have happened if this or that had happened, i told you i am not a fan of conjecture. and ANet may not post on other fansites but they do participate through interviews, why are you downplaying this like the devs posting on Guru is somehow magical? the Reddit AMA was MUCH more informative that ALL dev posts on Guru over the past year that i have read. most of the dev post i read on Guru are corrections of misinformation/misconceptions of the fans, there are few of substance. but even though Guru had their little IRC Live Chat with the devs it was crushed by the Reddit AMA, so does that mean that Reddit is now the go to place for the devs since they have more posts there than anywhere else? of course not. Guru has been around since GW1 and because of that the devs know the mods and the community better.

personally i am glad that they post in an easy to find place rather than all over the multitude of GW2 fansites, it makes it easier to find info, you even get most of your links that you post here from there. i do not like the Guru mod culture at all as the mods are deluded into thinking they are special because the devs post there, but i'll take that over scouring the net for GW2 info any day. it is not an ideal situation but i can understand the need for it at least for the moment. i want an official forum, but not at the expense of resources that could be used more effectively in releasing the title and because of that for the moment i can deal with the shit over at Guru i will just post less. i would have supported you had you said Regina completely dodged the question of having an official forum because that is what she did in the question from the interview you quoted, but instead you made it seem like they do not support other fansites other than the pseudo-official site Guru, which i think is not giving props where props are due and nit-picking as to the type of participation the devs need to engage in in order to please you.

anyway, i would love to know if the bulk of the "new" testers for CB are just players, game reviewers, or professional testers. i hope that they are professional testers then at least i won't feel bad about not getting in even though i do actually give detailed feedback when i beta test a game (i even did it with SWTOR though very little was actually changed :/)
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG

Deleted
    I rather see them utilize official wiki more than have official forums. Information is lot better organized on wiki and discussion doesn't die off so fast because thread didn't stay on front page long enough due to massive spam. Izzy used to be quite active on GW1 wiki discussing about skill balance, hope he continue that in GW2.

Did Arenanet release some new information about the game or something? There has been a massive influx of terrible trolls in the GW2 sub forums lately.

Maybe they are already bored with swtor? I cancelled the sub myself. One of what was supposed to be one of the major drawing points actually turned out to be the biggest detriment to me. I couldn't find a companion I wanted to have on a character that I wanted to play that approved of my actions. I didn't want every companion to be a yes man, but the ones that generally did agree with what I thought of for the class I generally didn't like them personality wise. So it got to the point that I didn't want to have a companion, but soloing in swtor without a companion isn't really an option, which I think is a huge mistake.

/endrant

People like to troll? I dunno. I can't wait for GW2 myself. At this point it is mainly because of no companions....

There's been a general traffic increase in the GW2 subforum in the past week, both good and bad.
    It's either 1) people on holidays, or 2) Jedi hanging up their lightsabers (which cause bleeding...)

Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Did Arenanet release some new information about the game or something? There has been a massive influx of terrible trolls in the GW2 sub forums lately.
    Yeah so since SWTOR released the trolls have started to migrate over to GW2.

Deleted
    Yup, the entire hype of SWTOR is slowing down since it's released so on to the next target...

I'm def quite new to posting, but have lurked for longer than the average B5 lurker has, well, lurkered...(if any get the sci-fi ref )
    There's been a massive upsurge in the number of misinformed posts recently.

We should try to develop another sticky of major GW2 info imo. Ofc, that assumes that solid info can in fact feed trolls...

Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    I'm def quite new to posting, but have lurked for longer than the average B5 lurker has, well, lurkered...(if any get the sci-fi ref )
    There's been a massive upsurge in the number of misinformed posts recently.

We should try to develop another sticky of major GW2 info imo. Ofc, that assumes that solid info can in fact feed trolls...
    I wanted to make a thread with a list of all the misinformed things going around about loot,skills, etc but the 5 assumption thread beat me to it
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

That one def has the potential
    Unfortunately it's gotten bogged down in infuriating lacks of ability/willingness to listen and alcholosim inducing headbanging against granite walls. Mostly induced by some guy called Thaeksis or some such......

I hope the OP can update it.

That post is also just damn annoying because I revealed a misconception about DEs in one of my posts....and so far it's the only thing the OP has posted back on the first post :-S Damn lol. Oh well, better than fading into obscurity I guess

Deleted
    There's been a general traffic increase in the GW2 subforum in the past week, both good and bad.
    It's either 1) people on holidays, or 2) Jedi hanging up their lightsabers (which cause bleeding...)
    I noticed we got more people when GW2 got its own sub-forum after some of us were just posting in the one thread, then we recently got a new wave of people but fter we got our own thread I noticed more hostility we used to be so friendly (apart from all the Asura hate but those little rats can go burn in hell)

Quote Originally Posted by Vewen View Post
    Yup, the entire hype of SWTOR is slowing down since it's released so on to the next target...
    Exactly. Incoming overhype and ridiculous comparison the next months!