Just 10 days for some beta stuff release info, it's gonna be nice to (hopefully) see something new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azzer24 View Post
    Just 10 days for some beta stuff release info, it's gonna be nice to (hopefully) see something new.
    I wouldn't get my hopes up. Sorry to be a pessimist but I don't think the press will be telling us anything we don't already know. Perhaps only a comment on the quality of their experience. Got my fingers crossed behind my back for it to be more, I'm just not banking on it.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadfuert View Post
    Happy birthday to you
    Have fun with GW2
    If you roll a Slyvari
    Then I'll kill you with fire.
    Haha thanks and well you can try going to roll sylvari and norn first

---------- Post added 2012-02-10 at 01:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    Happy Birthday DD! :-)
    Thank yo very much

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    I wouldn't get my hopes up. Sorry to be a pessimist but I don't think the press will be telling us anything we don't already know. Perhaps only a comment on the quality of their experience. Got my fingers crossed behind my back for it to be more, I'm just not banking on it.
    We will atleast see more video footage of stuff; WvWvW/Dungeons other area's.

Deleted
    What are your opinion about the fact that when you play PvP you will automaticly be the highest lvl and have all spells unlocked?
    I know there was something similiar in GW1 but i still feel like it "takes away" a big part of the game. I really like the way you learn spells, it is both realistic(in some way, you do get better if you train) and it also make you use different weapons to see what spells they have in order to perfect your way of playing.

Forgive me if i'm wrong but is it that it don't matter what gear, spells, race, weapon you have in PvP(Not WvWvW as you play it with YOUR character if i understood it right)? If that's true, then i feel like it is like a private server in wow where you start at highest lvl, buy your gear and then play against others with the exact same gear.

But as always, there are positive things and negative things about everything. It is more balanced when everyone have access to the same spells, same stats and such, it make skill matter a lot more but i still can't get rid of the feeling that it removes such a big part of the game.

Also, Happy Birthday Diamond!

Deleted
    I´ll just go ahead and say thanks to everyone that says congrats to me, so i dont have to post a thank you everytime and make the mods sad

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kessos View Post
    What are your opinion about the fact that when you play PvP you will automaticly be the highest lvl and have all spells unlocked?
    I know there was something similiar in GW1 but i still feel like it "takes away" a big part of the game. I really like the way you learn spells, it is both realistic(in some way, you do get better if you train) and it also make you use different weapons to see what spells they have in order to perfect your way of playing.

Forgive me if i'm wrong but is it that it don't matter what gear, spells, race, weapon you have in PvP(Not WvWvW as you play it with YOUR character if i understood it right)? If that's true, then i feel like it is like a private server in wow where you start at highest lvl, buy your gear and then play against others with the exact same gear.

But as always, there are positive things and negative things about everything. It is more balanced when everyone have access to the same spells, same stats and such, it make skill matter a lot more but i still can't get rid of the feeling that it removes such a big part of the game.

When you leave the structured PvP match you return to what your character was before. So if you really want to progress you can do so in WvWvW or PvE before starting PvP or after you've done some. Doing PvP doesn't permanently place your character at max level.

If you want to level up and progress doing PvP you can play WvWvW; structured PvP is there to be competitive, not a form of progression.

Happy Birthday DD!
    Last edited by Malthurius; 2012-02-10 at 12:39 PM.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Deleted
    Yeah, i know you can but i still don't like the "finish tutorial in 5 min and then become lvl 80 and get everything unlocked"

Yeah, i know you can but i still don't like the "finish tutorial in 5 min and then become lvl 80 and get everything unlocked"
    everything unlocked only for esport-PvP, it makes no sense otherwise. You don't level your characters in sportsgames either... skill should be the only determining factor in esport, not that you grinded good gear for months.

happy birthday Diamond
    Last edited by Maarius; 2012-02-10 at 01:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

It will indeed not matter what race/level/gear your character has, when entering structured, competitive pvp, everyone will be the same lvl, have the same gear-level, etc.

I can see why some people like getting pimped gear for pvp by grinding, but for real competitive,e-sports-viable pvp, giving everyone the same resources is an absolute must.

The main reasons MMO's never really broke trough in the e-sports scene (WoW tried but eventually didn't really succeed, GW1 had the potential and did some sweet things but was not famous enough to really have enough impact) are:

A) Gear having to big an influence on the match outcome.

Arenanet clearly addresses this.

B) not enough well-known commentators show interest for MMO pvp.

There have been some commentators and casters(Wheat,TB, etc.) who've shown interest in gw2. If I were Anet, I'ld put a lot of focus on getting the bigger names to do some commentary as they get a lot of views.

C) Most MMO pvp is too much based around passive bonuses and statistics to be "fun to watch".

With this I mean stuff like dodge/parry rates, hit rating, etc.
    Whereas in GW2, players will actually dodge the spells themselves, missiles will have collision detection. Combat is more active and dynamic than in most hotkey MMO's, which at the very least means it's more fun to watch.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

You don't instantly get all the best lvl 80 gear though, you cannot optimise your character's stats as a true lvl 80 would. Neither will you have access to upgrade components. I'm also not sure if you get access to traits.

Deleted
    That's true though, well, maybe i'm just not used to it
    I do like the "only skill matters" but i always end up with the worst players possible while the other team has perfect coordination.

Edit: Yeah, i was thinking if you would get traits and such. Do anyone know that if you are 80 and have pretty good gear, do it still get normalized in PvP?
    Last edited by mmoccbb2f90537; 2012-02-10 at 01:32 PM.

That's true though, well, maybe i'm just not used to it
    I do like the "only skill matters" but i always end up with the worst players possible while the other team has perfect coordination.

Edit: Yeah, i was thinking if you would get traits and such. Do anyone know that if you are 80 and have pretty good gear, do it still get normalized in PvP?
    There is no gear progress, so when you hit level 80, and you get level 80 armor, there's no tier above that. Certain stats on those armor appeal better in certain situations, but you cannot out gear anyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really can't get my head around, well to be blunt, those coming from a Wow-mindset.

They complain that there is no gear grind requirement in GW2 PVP, but at the same time in the official forums a CM makes a thread about "What are the best techniques you've found to gear up fast?" (for PVP), which is effectively a thread about trying to circumvent the gear grind requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    I really can't get my head around, well to be blunt, those coming from a Wow-mindset.

They complain that there is no gear grind requirement in GW2 PVP, but at the same time in the official forums a CM makes a thread about "What are the best techniques you've found to gear up fast?" (for PVP), which is effectively a thread about trying to circumvent the gear grind requirements.
    It's ultimately an e-peen contest. The point is not grinding or not, it's having better gear than everyone else. At it's core, WoW is AFKing in front of the bank.

10+ Year Old Account
    In wow I always dreaded having a fresh character with no resilience or even just a little over 2k from the crafted set when i hop into pvp. I remember when i dinged 85 late on my rogue I could keep 2 people completely CC'd and as soon as I ran out of clever tricks the DK or Warrior would just wipe the floor with me. Now that I have 4.4k resil pvp slows down and we have time to react and think instead of just firing off your first 3 biggest nukes and winning.

I've always argued with my friends(most likely after taking a 60k arcane blast or something) that pvp gear should just be given to pvpers for queueing up because, to me, the point of pvp is to have fun not just another gear grind. I don't wanna get pummeled for a week gearing up just to be effective, I wanna be in there having a good time helping my team succeed. It just never made sense to me to pvp for gear to pvp for gear to pvp.

ANYWAY.. did you fellas see this? Bored with GW2 on the mind? It must be cool living on the west coast.
    http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/loga...ist-personals/
    Last edited by Nitsuj; 2012-02-10 at 02:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just don't PvP in WoW. In TOR I've only done like 8 bg's and that's just with my guildies, even still, I just jump in, blow my load, and die. I'll stick to PvE in vertical gear progression games...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitsuj View Post
    ANYWAY.. did you fellas see this? Bored with GW2 on the mind? It must be cool living on the west coast.
    http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/loga...ist-personals/
    Oh wow, I lost it badly at the Rytlock comment

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post

I guess they like to suck when you start with PvP, only to get stronger because of some arbitrary number like resilience. No matter how skilled you are, yo will die when faced with an equally skilled PvP'er with better gear. Guess some people like to cloud their lack of skill with a big resilience number and hope they can overpower others because of it.
    Last edited by mmoccf2a3d971d; 2012-02-10 at 02:48 PM.

Games devs that make mmropgs assume that the people playing pvp are also pve-ers. And they'd be partially correct. If you've done the pve gear grind, you'll probably be interested in the pvp gear grind. So they make sure to add lots of grind to that too.

The only issue I see with pvp in gw2 is that I suspect many mmorpg players aren't actually interested in a skill-based pvp game. I suspect many would actually prefer pvp gear grinding instead.