Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Thanks a ton, you've been a big help. Would of still been sitting around waiting for the magical college fairy to change my life for me.
    Also in case you change your mind and want to go down the programmer route, there's some good resources to get you started:

http://www.gamedev.net <- General game development forum
    http://stackoverflow.com <- Awesome site with tons of professional programmers where you can ask questions and get extremely good answers

Despite what anyone says, you should know that C++ is still the industry standard and is here to stay. So if you are really passionate and want to invest the time, that's the language to learn.
    That's not to say you don't need a solid grasp of other languages as well, especially assembly and functional languages will broaden your knowledge.

Good luck, there's so much to discover!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was actually looking into C++ as well. I have been doing Computer Science networking and I didn't really like it that much, so I was going to try the programming route. Thanks for the info.

Thanks a ton, you've been a big help. Would of still been sitting around waiting for the magical college fairy to change my life for me.
    Maybe this will encourage you a bit
    This is main very first project I made in 3ds max .. It took me just month to understand basic and create this scene...and I knew nothing about 3d graphic before ... If I could do that without school, you can do same, believe me.

Keep in mind while I still doing this stuff, I am doing it just for fun. So If you check my other videos, while I am still progressing just learning stuff by myself, I took different route as my professional job (motion graphics, video editing etc)..but I love my hobby So if you will focus and put dedication on stuff you want, you can be where I am right now In much much much shorter time I wish you luck

Anyway, sorry for offtopic

Quote Originally Posted by ManiaCCC View Post
    Maybe this will encourage you a bit
    This is main very first project I made in 3ds max .. It took me just month to understand basic and create this scene...and I knew nothing about 3d graphic before ... If I could do that without school, you can do same, believe me.

Keep in mind while I still doing this stuff, I am doing it just for fun. So If you check my other videos, while I am still progressing just learning stuff by myself, I took different route as my professional job (motion graphics, video editing etc)..but I love my hobby So if you will focus and put dedication on stuff you want, you can be where I am right now In much much much shorter time I wish you luck

Anyway, sorry for offtopic
    Thats absolutely amazing for your first. O_O

I'm hoping to make it a career, if it all fails, then it will be a hobby for me as well, most likely. I just don't want to build my hopes up and think if I start to practice and get good at it, that some huge company is going to pick me up right away.

@Zyng, thank you also! Booked both the sites you linked, in case. ;P

This is really offtopic, sorry everyone else.

*EDIT* If all of you are playing GW2, I love the community a lot already, srsly.
    Last edited by Digglett; 2011-05-19 at 02:21 AM.

Agreed Digg, too bad there's no guarantee we'll all be on the same server.

hint hint

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Agreed Digg, too bad there's no guarantee we'll all be on the same server.

hint hint
    I honestly don't know what server I'll be playing on yet, we shall see when the time comes. :P

I don't even know if that info has even been released yet, so probably no one does, heh.

Thats absolutely amazing for your first. O_O

I'm hoping to make it a career, if it all fails, then it will be a hobby for me as well, most likely. I just don't want to build my hopes up and think if I start to practice and get good at it, that some huge company is going to pick me up right away.
    Right away? It wont happen my friend.. but every career is progressing step by step

Long story short: Me and my friend live in country where is no university focused on graphic design. But we both loved that stuff. So we just started to learn basic. In few months we were doing some simple stuff like banners or editing of photos for our friends, high school we were studying at etc.. few weeks later we were doing this things for friends of our friends, for their family etc just for couple of bucks. Yea..there were times when we were begging for some job. After a while some people just found our work on some social networks or just from their friends and asked us if we can do something for them. So we just created our portfolio and showed it to some different people in some companies. Some of them offered us some work. We were doing better and bigger stuff for more and more people and companies. And now? We have our own company and we have couple people working for us. Now we are in position when we don't need ask for work, people or coming to us Now we are working on some pretty big projects..even some international projects and we still have something to do and all this started just 5 years ago

So what I want tell you with this story? Stick with your dreams, keep trying and never give up. Anyone has potential to make his/her dreams become true. Anyone.
    Last edited by ManiaCCC; 2011-05-19 at 02:48 AM.

Right away? It wont happen my friend.. but every career is progressing step by step

Long story short: Me and my friend live in country where is no university focused on graphic design. But we both loved that stuff. So we just started to learn basic. In few months we were doing some simple stuff like banners or editing of photos for our friends, high school we were studying at etc.. few weeks later we were doing this things for friends of our friends, for their family etc just for couple of bucks. Yea..there were times when we were begging for some job. After a while some people just found our work on some social networks or just from their friends and asked us if we can do something for them. So we just created our portfolio and showed it to some different people in some companies. Some of them offered us some work. We were doing better and bigger stuff for more and more people and companies. And now? We have our own company and we have couple people working for us. Now we are in position when we don't need ask for work, people or coming to us Now we are working on some pretty big projects..even some international projects and we still have something to do and all this started just 5 years ago

So what I want tell you with this story? Stick with your dreams, keep trying and never give up. Anyone has potential to make his/her dreams become true. Anyone.
    You could easily be a motivational speaker too. Man, I hate to get corny, but you all have changed my view points on many things.

Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    Don't get your hopes up for the community, I haven't witnessed ANY really good gaming community in ages - especially not in competitive games.

But if you want to join the community for real sign up at

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/ or http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/

They will be the main sites for GW2, there most likely won't be an official forum.
    The GW crowd in particular has a history of dumb. Apparently people don't get that, in a team game, team builds exist (much less are worthy of consideration).

That said, you missed a site: http://wiki.guildwars2.com Say hi to Auron, Entropy/Vili, and Raine for me, I don't think my "essentially banned" status is going to wear off any time soon.

Don't get your hopes up for the community, I haven't witnessed ANY really good gaming community in ages - especially not in competitive games.
    This is true, every community has their.. special gems.

Stick with your dreams, keep trying and never give up. Anyone has potential to make his/her dreams become true. Anyone.
    Unless you are a quadriplegic whose dream is to become an Olympic swimmer..... >_>

But if you want to join the community for real sign up at

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/forum/ or http://guildwars.incgamers.com/forums/

They will be the main sites for GW2, there most likely won't be an official forum.
    Good example of that in this very post. Gaming communities as a whole are usually horrible. There will always be PvE vs PvP players on whose e-peen is bigger. You then have groups in both of those who measure against their own group. WoW's community isn't exclusive to WoW, you just notice WoW's more because it has so many people that it looks like there are more arseholes.

And yes, Guru will more than likely be the main forum sine ArenaNet doesn't seam to want official forums. It works out for the best for them to have a key fan forum like Guru.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Armond View Post
    The GW crowd in particular has a history of dumb.
    As far as GW and Dumb go, well, I guess I know what you mean. I remember this one Warrior who ran around Fort Aspenwood all the time with Frenzy going and he never could figure out why the Elementalists and Mesmers kept blowing him up before he ever got to them to attack. Instead of learning to play he just cried about how Frenzy should have no drawback and how everything else was Over Powered. To make matters worse, he was a self-proclaimed expert in GW PvP yet he never managed to get a single PvP Trophy and instead filled his HoM with the easiest of HoM points to achieve (like minipets, hero armors, and basic PvE titles) trying to get unlocks for GW2. lol Sad no? With people like him playing the game I can understand why you might think the majority of GW players are "Dumb" but I have actually met a lot of skilled and intelligent people in the game over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rokstrin View Post
    With people like him playing the game I can understand why you might think the majority of GW players are "Dumb" but I have actually met a lot of skilled and intelligent people in the game over the years.
    There are a lot of great players - whatever you might say about their builds and/or tactics, all the players in GWFC have my admiration and respect as a gamer. There's a number more world-class gamers I've met that don't make it to top-level tournaments and/or competition (both in GW and in WoW) but still hold my respect. The problem is, there's a lot of guys like that warrior, too. Any time I would enter a random PvP match (FA, AB, RA, etc), half the players involved were generally bad. I don't mean "assassin that doesn't stagger his chain to counter my dshot" bad, I mean "frenzy through empathy and rage at the healer because he magically died to something without even realizing he had empathy on him and the team had no healer" bad. (Of course I have faith in humanity, what makes you think I don't? I'm sure the receipt's around here somewhere, though I'll be damned if I know where the faith itself got to...)

Then again, there was that match where Ensign (or someone like that) healed for our team. Probably would have gotten 30+ consec if there hadn't been a mAT in half an hour.

This was found in a google cache tonight, a bit weird that it says sixth proff tho, and nothing is confirmed from Anet:

Arena.Net has thrilled the hearts of techno-junky steampunk wannabes everywhere with the revelation of the sixth Guild Wars 2 profession: The Engineer. MMORPG.com has teamed up with Arena.Net to give our readers the first look at the Engineer, some of the nifty gadgets he or she carries around and a bit of lore behind the profession. Check it out and then let us know your thoughts!

A master of mechanical mayhem, the engineer tinkers with explosives, gadgets, alchemy, and all manner of deployable devices. They can take control of an area by placing turrets, support their allies with a gun that shoots elixirs, or lay waste to foes with a wide array of mines, bombs, and grenades.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Khan View Post
    This was found in a google cache tonight, a bit weird that it says sixth proff tho, and nothing is confirmed from Anet:
    would be fun if that were true, gwguru guessing it again, the 2 main guesses are engineer/gunner and alchemist, seems this is both in 1

Then the screams for a Mesmer as number 8 proff will be insane. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan Khan View Post
    Then the screams for a Mesmer as number 8 proff will be insane. :P
    or it cold all be a hoax, caused by mesmer trickery
    Last edited by jvbastel; 2011-05-19 at 07:03 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    or it cold all be a hoax, caused by mesmer trickey
    That would be kinda cool tbh.

Being bored, I decided to start up a Guild Wars trial. Last time I did led to some very discouraging results (Chalking that up to inferior game knowledge and the idea Warrior/Monk was a good combo as my first character) Making a ranger this time, despite hell freezing over.

So I come to my question, what class really complements a ranger? I want to make sure I can use both classes efficiently, and not just "have" a second class I don't use.

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Being bored, I decided to start up a Guild Wars trial. Last time I did led to some very discouraging results (Chalking that up to inferior game knowledge and the idea Warrior/Monk was a good combo as my first character) Making a ranger this time, despite hell freezing over.

So I come to my question, what class really complements a ranger? I want to make sure I can use both classes efficiently, and not just "have" a second class I don't use.
    I think it depends on your play style, haven't played a ranger myself, but you can look it up here, see if theres anything that particularly sparks an interest. http://guildwars.wikia.com/wiki/Seco...s_for_a_Ranger