Quote Originally Posted by swiftfeet View Post
    A link to the Video Manifesto should be up there, it's what got alot of players excited about the game, me included.

Here it is: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/media/videos/
    ..is now playing...Minecraft!
    ^^^^
    ^^^^
    IS THE NEW MMO^^^^^^^MINECRAFT!!! lawl.

Deleted
    Well it's no MMO, but it's fun..for now (especially after 6 years of wow) XD

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Great writeup, Snowy. Thanks
    And you are right, Nalvaudi. Energy/mana costs will definately make the healing be a meaningful thing.
    Georgevonfranken, you know you love it.

Thanks everyone. I am starting to see the big picture a little clearer now that a few details have the shading.
    I actually dont because i mostly am only on here for a short period of time so i dont have time to read the 20 walls of text

---------- Post added 2011-04-27 at 12:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tholl View Post
    Just found a GW2 'Traits' builder someone made from current public content. Pretty damn cool.

http://gw2.revgaming.net/Home/TraitsTool/
    very nice me likey

10+ Year Old Account
    The game without tanks cannot exist. Either DPS are reduced to 1-2 abilities (like in Diablo), or boss is big dummy on the pole (like in most singleplayer games). In proper MMO you need the tank.
    That mentality is what makes so many WoW clone around there.
    Game design is not an exact science set in stone. It evolves.

Claiming that something is impossible (an MMO without tanks) just because you don't how to do it... that's arrogance, not an argument.

Quote Originally Posted by swiftfeet View Post
    Well it's no MMO
    Please explain.

Quote Originally Posted by DeanyKong View Post
    Please explain.
    He talked about minecraft wich is a sandbox building video game, it has an multiplayer but isn't an mmo as far as I know.
    The advantage of the dreamer is that he never has to face the chains of reality.
    Blackhand[EU] - Mistral

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tomorrow, April 28th, will be Guild Wars 6th anniversary. Hopefully we will see a special reveal for Guild Wars 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    This game looks amazing! Really interested to see how it shapes up.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Mistral View Post
    He talked about minecraft wich is a sandbox building video game, it has an multiplayer but isn't an mmo as far as I know.
    Ah, I gotcha. The lack of quoting lead me to believe he was on-topic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanyKong View Post
    Ah, I gotcha. The lack of quoting lead me to believe he was on-topic.
    Ye sorry prob should've quoted. And yes GW2 will be a proper MMO and I for one can not wait.

I started a thread but its not doing well. Im looking forward to guild wars 2 but was curious if there are any set backs to not having a sub fee? I've always been told that sub fees just pay for maintenance and support for the game to allow it to be enjoyed. Does guild wars 2 support lack or is the sub fee theory I have been told true or is it not needed for a game to be successful and the developer still able to make money? Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Druxray View Post
    I started a thread but its not doing well. Im looking forward to guild wars 2 but was curious if there are any set backs to not having a sub fee? I've always been told that sub fees just pay for maintenance and support for the game to allow it to be enjoyed. Does guild wars 2 support lack or is the sub fee theory I have been told true or is it not needed for a game to be successful and the developer still able to make money? Thanks
    The first one didn't have subs and it's still going strong, where ArenaNet is gonna make it's after market profits will be a store that sells cosmetic items and other vanity things.

There will probably be a way to buy extra character slots as well. And if they release expansions every year and a half or so it will be more than enough to maintain their servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Every MMO needs money to keep it updated and for maintenance etc... it's true... but lack of sub fee doesn't mean lack of money. There are three major models to get money for MMORPG.

Subscription based, Buy to play and "free"to play... none of these are made for charity... all these models were developed to generate income in some way or another. GW2 is Buy to play model. Which is indeed different compared to subscription model but it will also generate tons of money (if there will be enough players) needed for further development. So don't worry. GW2 will be just fine..there will be free updates, patches, expansions etc..

You might want to check out this speech one of the co-founders of Arenanet gave a few years ago:

http://www.guildwars.com/events/trad...7/gcspeech.php

If you scroll to the bottom to the section called "Don't count on subscriptions", it's a very good read.

Or, here's a quote for those with arthritic clicking fingers!

In the early years of the MMO industry, from roughly 1997 to 2001, there were a few big MMOs that had active player populations. By the time we started ArenaNet in the summer of 2000, we knew of at least eighty MMOs that were in development. Based on the success of UO and EQ, publishers were reviewing their portfolios and planning to migrate their existing game franchises to the online world, where they believed they could adopt a subscription model and "make bank". Clearly, it did not work out that way. As more MMOs came into the market, two things changed. First, players now had a choice about which game they would play, and as a result their expectations for polish, content quantity, and service increased substantially. Second, and perhaps more telling for the future of the industry, it became clear that the subscription model forced players to choose a single game, rather than playing many different games.

Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it. Gamers may buy the argument that your MMO requires a subscription fee, if you can tell them what they are getting for their money. This is the legacy of games like Guild Wars, Maple Story, and Silkroad Online, all of which introduced new business models into the MMO genre and were quite successful. The subscription model is still perfectly viable, but the pain threshold is very low now. It's no secret that gamers don't want to pay a subscription fee. If you can convince them that your game offers enough value to justify it, more power to you! But be prepared to defend your decision, often and loudly, and back it up over the lifetime of your game.

Be very aware of the choice you are asking players to make, and the frequency of that choice. In a subscription model you are asking players to make a choice every month, and it is a fairly drastic choice: Stay married, or get divorced? It is certainly the case that if every player decides to stay married every month, you can make more money from each player in the subscription model. But that will rarely be the case, and not something that you should count on. Every month, some percentage of your player base will decide on divorce, and as with marriage in the real word, once you are divorced you rarely get married to the same person again. If you go the subscription route, you'll need to have the confidence that your marriage rate will exceed your divorce rate.

With Guild Wars we ask players to make a choice only one time, and that choice is whether to buy the game, or not to buy the game. While we don't enjoy a recurring revenue stream each month, we do benefit from the fact that most Guild Wars players come back to the game when we release new content, so we are less concerned about players putting the game down for a few months. Players don't have to decide whether to stay married or get divorced, they just have to decide whether they want to play today or not. Beyond the benefit of a lower pain threshold to get into the game, this is the core strength of the Guild Wars business model, and one of the reasons it continues to thrive when many other subscription-based MMOs are struggling.

Innovate with your game play, and innovate with your business model! The two go hand in hand, and are mutually dependent on each other. Decide on your business model first, and then build your game around it. Guild Wars can be successful with its business model because we decided that we would not charge a subscription fee before we wrote the first line of code, and every design and technology decision we made served that purpose. We could never turn Guild Wars into a subscription-based game, just as Turbine could not suddenly decide to eliminate the subscription model for Lord of the Rings Online. If you decide to require players to subscribe to your game, be prepared to build a game that thoroughly justifies it.
    As others have already said, Arenanet make more than enough money from micro-transactions (ones that do not give players an advantage over others) to keep their games running.
    Last edited by Mothhive; 2011-04-27 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    The game without tanks cannot exist. Either DPS are reduced to 1-2 abilities (like in Diablo), or boss is big dummy on the pole (like in most singleplayer games). In proper MMO you need the tank.
    After reading some of your replies including this one I can see you have an extremely simple-minded approach to eveything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yzak View Post
    I was just watching a video that someone posted here and it sparked something that I really hadn't noticed before. It's not something particularly pertaining to said video, but more-so to the overall game play of what GW2 is lining up to be. And that something seems to be what the WoW team had said a while ago, "Bring the player, not the class."

With all the recent changes to the classes in Cata; some extreme some not so extreme, Blizzard seems to be searching for a varying degree of homogenization. Whereas the Arenanet team has designed GW2 around no tanks, everyone tanks. No specific healers, everyone heals. No specific DPS, everyone DPS. Has Arenanet found the answer, did they steal an idea or simply improve upon an unattained concept up till this point, do you think it'll work? /discuss

This is not an attempt to degrade GW2 or the people at Arenanet, I'm impatiently bounding in my seat for any new news from them regarding the game.

/end ramble
    Guild Wars 2 has been in development since before Wrath was released. They're not copying anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Guild Wars 2 has been in development since before Wrath was released. They're not copying anything.
    Not to mention the idea of homogenization is complete crap lol. Make every class the same was the worst idea they have ever had...it suits players fine by letting every class seem important , but it takes away being a unique class and making you the same as the other class.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggiej View Post
    Not to mention the idea of homogenization is complete crap lol. Make every class the same was the worst idea they have ever had...it suits players fine by letting every class seem important , but it takes away being a unique class and making you the same as the other class.
    Well in GW1 there was homogenization in the sense of Dual professions. The only issue with it was it was a bitch and a half to balance and they hired the wrong guy to do it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Gonna kick some major ass in GW2 as an Elementalist

So many weapons, and combos of weapons and abilities so far (probably way more than have been shown) I just don't know what to choose but I know i will be a thief.