10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    they're really learning from wow , aint they?
    ye, it's amazing how people still are against gw-style microtransactions (that are usually purely cosmetic, and never affect balance), but still accept horribly overprised server transfer

WoW has a pretty high priced cash shop, especially for a sub based game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Keller View Post
    they're really learning from wow , aint they?
    By charging you a stupid amount for something so simple? Yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    If you sell it, people will pay for it.

Provided it's all cosmetic, I don't care.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

And what would this be?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    If you sell it, people will pay for it.

Provided it's all cosmetic, I don't care.
    It's cheaper to reroll in WoW than pay a transfer. :P £8.99 a month, or £15 for transfer.

I perfer Anets approach on Microtransactions. I've never personally brought any for GW1 though, so I'm interested to see what they bring for GW2 besides costumes.

---------- Post added 2011-05-12 at 08:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sym View Post
    And what would this be?
    I'm refering to that fact Blizzard charges a silly amount for a server transfer, whereas GW2 will hve free server transfers. Hence them learning from Blizzards mistakes.

It's cheaper to reroll in WoW than pay a transfer. :P £8.99 a month, or £15 for transfer.

I perfer Anets approach on Microtransactions. I've never personally brought any for GW1 though, so I'm interested to see what they bring for GW2 besides costumes.

---------- Post added 2011-05-12 at 08:24 PM ----------

I'm refering to that fact Blizzard charges a silly amount for a server transfer, whereas GW2 will hve free server transfers. Hence them learning from Blizzards mistakes.
    Ah, right. It seemed like your post was a dig at ArenaNet, not Blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sym View Post
    Ah, right. It seemed like your post was a dig at ArenaNet, not Blizzard.
    Blizzard have had their time as top dog, and I think SWTOR and GW2 could bring them down quite a notch, I'm not saying they will wipe Blizzard from top spot on MMO's, but I think they will hit them hard. I'm sure many MMO's to follow including Blizzards "Titan" project, will be following the new trends and not WoW's style. Anet went the right way with innovation, which I think Blizzard will steal. :P

Deleted
    Blizzard have had their time as top dog, and I think SWTOR and GW2 could bring them down quite a notch, I'm not saying they will wipe Blizzard from top spot on MMO's, but I think they will hit them hard. I'm sure many MMO's to follow including Blizzards "Titan" project, will be following the new trends and not WoW's style. Anet went the right way with innovation, which I think Blizzard will steal. :P
    you mean like they did with everquest... steel it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleV View Post
    you mean like they did with everquest... steel it.
    Everquest kept going for a long time even while WoW was running. It probably wasn't until Burning Crusade that Everquest really entered death throes.

And that's how it's going to be with WoW. New champions of the mmo market will pop up, though I don't expect we'll see any more that are quite as big as WoW, we'll instead see a market with 3-4 "top" MMOs, all circling the 1-3 million subscriber numbers and each flucuating a lot more and that being considered a lot more accpetable with more variety on the market.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Everquest kept going for a long time even while WoW was running. It probably wasn't until Burning Crusade that Everquest really entered death throes.

And that's how it's going to be with WoW. New champions of the mmo market will pop up, though I don't expect we'll see any more that are quite as big as WoW, we'll instead see a market with 3-4 "top" MMOs, all circling the 1-3 million subscriber numbers and each flucuating a lot more and that being considered a lot more accpetable with more variety on the market.

everquest would have / could have been better if it was released later computers / internet installations in peoples households were bombing when blizzard released wow. everquest is yonks old not many people even new about mmo's at the time. if it was just released 4 years later im sure the mmo market today would look very different. blizzard got lucky they released a mmo at the right time. but still gw:2 should take a fair few players from wow..

i see other new mmos as nails. nails in blizzards coffin. eventually your run out of nails and it will be buried.
    Last edited by mmoc1ed7397d63; 2011-05-12 at 08:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleV View Post
    everquest would have / could have been better if it was released later computers / internet installations in peoples households were bombing when blizzard released wow. everquest is yonks old not many people even new about mmo's at the time. if it was just released 4 years later im sure the mmo market today would look very different. blizzard got lucky they released a mmo at the right time. but still gw:2 should take a fair few players from wow..

i see other new mmos as nails. nails in blizzards coffin. eventually your run out of nails and it will be berried.
    timing is always important. That was probably a big problem with Cata, timing.

Also, it's "buried". If it were "berried", it would have been bombarded by fruits.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it were "berried", it would have been bombarded by fruits.
    I would love to be berried.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    I would love to be berried.
    I can berry you

Deleted
    Scary images in my head now

i doubt there will ever be a true divide among mmo subscribers. Blizzard always has the upper hand and can bring out sooner or later Titan when it needs to. Also going by that leaked timeline chart for blizzard the next wow expansion could be about a year away. So much effort of this expansion was consumed in redoing all of the old world the next expansion will probably be more popular and if the suscriptions continue to drop Blizzard will likely be forced to add something amazing to entice players to keep playing or come back.

Anet and the makers of Torchlight both have said they are not competing with WoW or Blizzard but trying to find their niche and coexist since there is room in the market for them but at the same time acknowledging the top dog and not trying to compete head to head with it.

Also, it's "buried". If it were "berried", it would have been bombarded by fruits.
    Fruits there everywhere!

Guild Wars 2 isn't going to steal anything from Blizzard since it'll be free after purchasing. It will have a lot of players, enough to make it comparable to WoW like the original was for a while there. Very few WoW players will quit WoW for GW2 simply because they don't have to. They can play GW2 when they feel like it and still make raids. They will play GW2 AND WoW.

If GW2 charged a subscription fee, it wouldn't get far off the ground, and would likely meet the same fate as Tabula Rasa, just because people don't want to sacrifice what they've invested so much time in... or pay $30 a month for vidyagaemz.

Now, having said all that, I'd totally quit WoW for GW2 if I had to pay a fee. But because I don't, I'll be white knighting both companies!

Deleted
    guess thats what you get for using crappy spell check and spamming correct... rofl.

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    The experience, my good man. After saving so many towns, I personally wouldn't mind seeing what happens if the monsters actually DID take over the town, just to experience the fight to reclaim it.
    I think this whole certain is pretty valid. It's one of the questions I'm still asking about DEs. Sometimes it seems like there would be more to see if you lost. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how they handle this, hopefully well!